ImageImageImageImageImage

Would you do this trade?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ImaBeatDatAzz
Analyst
And1: 4,098

Would you do this trade? 

Post#1 » by ImaBeatDatAzz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:03 am

i know it is only 12 games in and 8-4 is not bad, especially with all the injuries. but like... Gasol just does not cut it, whoever thinks that he will start to improve as the season goes by, is just delusional at this point. I know it is early in the season but Masai will definitely think about trades before the deadline this year. Our C spot is suffering a lot. not just in scoring, but we cant get a fckin rebound for the life of us. we were struggling last year with rebounds to, and we had mr. boardman, kawhi. this year it just got 10x worse. All this being said, if you were given the option to say deal or no deal to this trade, would you do it:

Gasol
Norm
1st

For

Drummond

this gives us one of the best rebounders in the league, AND A STARTING CENTER WHO CAN ACTUALLY ATTACK THE RIM. The guy is a DOG. His IQ and screen setting is just as good as Gasol, he's a strong lob finisher, allows for more offensive plays (shout out lowry+bebe times with all the lobs) ... and he is only 26!
Good thing about this is, and correct me if im wrong, but he can opt out of his contract, allowing us to still go for giannis in 2021

As of now, i see:
Lowry/davis
fvv/thomas/og
giannis/og/rhj
siakam/boucher or rhj/og
Drummond/Ibaka
(og can play 2 and 4 as well, since giannis will soak up most of the minutes at the 3)

As for this year, after trade:
lowry/davis
fvv/thomas
og/rhj
siakam/boucher
drummond/ibaka
114-110... "Curry lets it fly...CANADA THE NBA TITLE IS YOURS."
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,064

Re: Would you do this trade? 

Post#2 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:06 am

Drummond strikes me as a guy only playing hard this season for a contract. Once he gets that, I expect him to fall off. Not interested in signing him to a huge contract tbh.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,318

Post#3 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:07 am

I think Drummond is one of the more overrated players in the league, but what incentive would Detroit have to possibly make that trade?

It also goes without saying that writing Gasol off after 12 games is silly.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,766

Post#4 » by TrustFundBaby » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:07 am

Drummond absolutely doesn't have a better IQ than Gasol, no way. He can't provide any spacing whatsoever, is a poor defender (idc about his blocks or steals, that's a poor measure of defense). Other than rebounding he's terrible, I'd be horrified if he was ever a Raptor
ImaBeatDatAzz
Analyst

Post#5 » by ImaBeatDatAzz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:18 am

TrustFundBaby wrote:Drummond absolutely doesn't have a better IQ than Gasol, no way. He can't provide any spacing whatsoever, is a poor defender (idc about his blocks or steals, that's a poor measure of defense). Other than rebounding he's terrible, I'd be horrified if he was ever a Raptor

the point is, weigh in the losses and the gains, from what we have seen now:
losing gasol -> you lose 3 point shooting... thats about it, thats all he has in his game at his age, u cant say his passing, cuz look at his assist numbers, he isnt creating anything, he is just giving it back to lowry or fvv to create
gaining drummond -> best rebounder in league, way less 2nd chance points for the other teams, more run out opportunities for us since we have the best defense in the league, and with him securing all the rebounds and his outlet passing skill, we can actually score more in transition (siakams and lowrys speciality). not to mention he is way more mobile, younger, can score in the paint, increased his free throw percentage by a lot.

like all you dont get from him is 3s, besides gasol is inconsistent asf so you cant say keeping him is better. gasol is gonna walk anyways lmao, comon, be reasonable. and drummond is not a poor defender, u do not watch him enough clearly. and even if he was, we did well with jv didnt we, cuz he provided offence. drummond is jv 10.0, not even 2.0. pistons will likely not make playoffs, they will look for trades

if you want spacing, fine, kevin love then, masai work ur magic. can rebound, outlet pass, and can shoot the 3
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,928

Post#6 » by Reeko » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:19 am

If we traded JV for Gasol just to turn around and trade Gasol for Drummond we should have just kept JV. He does not make players around him better like Gasol does whether that be through passing on offense or quarterbacking a defense. He's just one of those guys that pads his stats. I don't know where you got the idea that Drummond has a high basketball IQ because simply put he does not.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
ImaBeatDatAzz
Analyst

Post#7 » by ImaBeatDatAzz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:25 am

Reeko wrote:If we traded JV for Gasol just to turn around and trade Gasol for Drummond we should have just kept JV. He does not make players around him better like Gasol does whether that be through passing on offense or quarterbacking a defense. He's just one of those guys that pads his stats. I don't know where you got the idea that Drummond has a high basketball IQ because simply put he does not.

drummond is jv 2.0, with defence, more mobile, and more of an offensive threat. gasol was never an upgrade to begin with. we were 20 and 4, then jv got injured last year. and i over-exaggerated if i said "high IQ", he's just not dumb, he knows his role, and what to do on both offence and defence
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,928

Post#8 » by Reeko » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:37 am

ImaBeatDatAzz wrote:
Reeko wrote:If we traded JV for Gasol just to turn around and trade Gasol for Drummond we should have just kept JV. He does not make players around him better like Gasol does whether that be through passing on offense or quarterbacking a defense. He's just one of those guys that pads his stats. I don't know where you got the idea that Drummond has a high basketball IQ because simply put he does not.

drummond is jv 2.0, with defence, more mobile, and more of an offensive threat. gasol was never an upgrade to begin with. we were 20 and 4, then jv got injured last year. and i over-exaggerated if i said "high IQ", he's just not dumb, he knows his role, and what to do on both offence and defence

Then why did JV own him almost every time they went head to head? Andre might know what he can do on offense but he doesn't do what we would need him to do, he doesn't shoot threes and he doesn't lead his team defensively. If you think that Drummond would be an upgrade I truly believe that you fail to understand the finer points of basketball. For what the team needed last year in order to win the championship Gasol was absolutely an upgrade over JV and I say this as a huge JV supporter.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
sycammer
Head Coach
And1: 1,304

Post#9 » by sycammer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:16 am

I think MU will wait till the 2 of them return from injuries....only then, we'll be able to provide any sort of assessment...

the main question: do u resign Ibaka & Gasol? Ibaka - I an understand, he fits our needs very well, provides our bench with much needed energy...Gasol - great locker room guy, vet presence but he's making 25 Mil this season, he won't get that offer from us...I expect him to be our trade bait, along with Powell...we have too many bench guys...its like last season, we can't play everyone - like Delon, bruno, also JV...its similar situation for us this season but I expect we will trade a scoring guard so Lowry can play his normal game....no clue who it will be though...
Oakley:

"What's going on the league today? It ain't nothing hard, they don't practice any more, they just go around the court doing nothing."
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#10 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:35 am

Never trade someone when their stock is low. Marc's stock is Rock bottom if you wanted to trade him it should've been in the off season now it's too late.

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk
Roco14
Sixth Man
And1: 3,551

Post#11 » by Roco14 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:52 am

Marc Gasol has looked terrible yes... But what he presents defensively (in the playoffs, at least) is worth more than literally anything that Drummond can do, especially in a conference with Giannis and Embiid.

I was watching the Dallas broadcast last game and even they said - there's no player in the league that seems to take up as much space as Marc Gasol. He's like a brick wall and a big part of why our defence was so suffocating in the playoffs last year. If we had Drummond, we wouldn't have even made it past Philly
JustWin wrote:Masai when asked about the teams problems and if he plans on making a move:

"Uhhh, dis a tuff one guiys.. hehe"
alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,155

Post#12 » by alienchild » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:14 am

You should stop posting.
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.
KawhiSoSerious
Junior
And1: 504

Post#13 » by KawhiSoSerious » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:14 pm

ImaBeatDatAzz wrote:
As of now, i see:
Lowry/davis
fvv/thomas/og
giannis/og/rhj
siakam/boucher or rhj/og
Drummond/Ibaka
(og can play 2 and 4 as well, since giannis will soak up most of the minutes at the 3)

Please explain how we would resign Drummond, Lowry, Ibaka, OG, RHJ, FVV and Davis and still be able to afford GA.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#14 » by Metallikid » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:24 pm

It prevents getting Giannis. This is why you will not likely see a large trade this year no matter what. Masai would rather try to retain FVV for less.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#15 » by Metallikid » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:28 pm

Metallikid wrote:It prevents getting Giannis. This is why you will not likely see a large trade this year no matter what. Masai would rather try to retain FVV for less.

After checking Drummond is actually a FA after this season so actually who knows. I still like Gasol's leadership since Andre hasn't won **** plus I think Marc deserves more slack he played the entire summer at a very high level he needs time off to recover to be at his best. Norm actually looks like he's rounding into a very nice form as well.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,168

Post#16 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:44 pm

trade thread. geez
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,887

Post#17 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:08 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:Drummond strikes me as a guy only playing hard this season for a contract. Once he gets that, I expect him to fall off. Not interested in signing him to a huge contract tbh.

I think Gasol is huge for this team and we shouldn't look at offensive production to make judgements. We let Patterson gets his six points for quite a while before fans squawked and they later let his contract expire. Ditto Norm's sporadic production. Our continuity and identity is one of our strengths so let's not flip bodies for players who do not spread the floor and who are expensive. Nurse - Masai seem to have a policy: don't hit the three then don't get paid. Is Gasol a starter after this year? Is he better than Serge? Probably not but Serge is having all his success coming off the bench. Seems absolutely ridiculous to discuss trading a player when his obvious replacement has an unknown return date for a significant ankle sprain. Also, after Gasol helped win us a championship are we just going to shuffle him off to the Pistons when as an expiring he could late career choose his own preferred destination? Not likely if we are a playoff team.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#18 » by will » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:13 pm

Raps defense going to shambles with Drummond on defense.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,887

Post#19 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:15 pm

sycammer wrote:I think MU will wait till the 2 of them return from injuries....only then, we'll be able to provide any sort of assessment...

the main question: do u resign Ibaka & Gasol? Ibaka - I an understand, he fits our needs very well, provides our bench with much needed energy...Gasol - great locker room guy, vet presence but he's making 25 Mil this season, he won't get that offer from us...I expect him to be our trade bait, along with Powell...we have too many bench guys...its like last season, we can't play everyone - like Delon, bruno, also JV...its similar situation for us this season but I expect we will trade a scoring guard so Lowry can play his normal game....no clue who it will be though...

Serge has more value so what are trying to get back? I could see us trading for Bamba and just letting Serge walk. Then Mark gets resigned for one year plus player option.
Raptorstorm
Sixth Man
And1: 1,029

Post#20 » by Raptorstorm » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:21 pm

Gasol is a GOOD player for our team. I am sure pros will take of his conditioning as season goes by. We can't rest him too long until we get Ibaka and create some garbage times against easy teams.
"IN MASAI WE TRUST" 8-)

Return to Toronto Raptors