ImageImageImageImageImage

What’s the longer plan with Chris Boucher?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,778

What’s the longer plan with Chris Boucher? 

Post#1 » by MessiahUjiri » Mon Feb 3, 2020 12:53 am

Boucher has shown to be an effective energy big man off the bench this year. His contract ends this year. We would have bird rights, but is he restricted or UFA?

What would you do? What’s the highest you’d pay?
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,948

Re: What’s the longer plan with Chris Boucher? 

Post#2 » by JN » Mon Feb 3, 2020 12:57 am

I'm starting to worry less about 2021 cap room, and more about bringing most of our players back next season (like Boucher), if we can show something in the playoffs (ECF or long 2nd round series) -- and if it impacts 2021 cap room, too bad. There will certainly be people who will say we can't keep Boucher because it takes up 2021 room, but why wreck the base?
themailman
Junior
And1: 223

Post#3 » by themailman » Mon Feb 3, 2020 1:01 am

chris Boucher has potential to being a backup. id sign him to a 2 year deal worth 8 to 10 mil
will
RealGM
And1: 49,960
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#4 » by will » Mon Feb 3, 2020 1:07 am

Father BooShay is a backup big.

Definitely a rotation player.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,690

Post#5 » by SFour » Mon Feb 3, 2020 1:10 am

the plan is to limit his minutes so they can re-sign him for cheap
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,659

Post#6 » by Red_Claw » Mon Feb 3, 2020 1:20 am

SFour wrote:the plan is to limit his minutes so they can re-sign him for cheap

This has to be the only reason he doesn't get more minutes...
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,948

Post#7 » by JN » Mon Feb 3, 2020 1:27 am

Red_Claw wrote:

Other than playing with a healthy Ibaka, Gasol and Siakam recently. That is the big reason he wasn't playing. I would like to squeeze him in for 5-10 minutes when we are fully healthy, but not much more of a roll for him when that happens. ... this year.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#8 » by Kevin Willis » Mon Feb 3, 2020 1:41 am

JN wrote:
Red_Claw wrote:

Other than playing with a healthy Ibaka, Gasol and Siakam recently. That is the big reason he wasn't playing. I would like to squeeze him in for 5-10 minutes when we are fully healthy, but not much more of a roll for him when that happens. ... this year.

Boucher is stuck behind All-Star caliber players. He shouldn't be playing ahead of those 3, he's going to have to wait.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Alpha Mentality
Assistant Coach
And1: 14,102

Post#9 » by Alpha Mentality » Mon Feb 3, 2020 2:31 am

He doesn’t have a longer plan. Hes a guy that can play well in spurts. Hes 27 people think hes like 22 or 23. I don’t ever see him being a rotation player for a good team. I think hes ideally your 4th big who can come in a provide a boost and energy to your squad on certain nights. I honestly think the Raptors should try to take advantage of the value he gained this season.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,808

Post#10 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 2:38 am

Alpha Mentality wrote:He doesn’t have a longer plan. Hes a guy that can play well in spurts. Hes 27 people think hes like 22 or 23. I don’t ever see him being a rotation player for a good team. I think hes ideally your 4th big who can come in a provide a boost and energy to your squad on certain nights. I honestly think the Raptors should try to take advantage of the value he gained this season.

People forget the history of bigs masquerading as centers for this team. He isn't clumsy with the ball, he isn't afraid to shoot, he is great at putbacks, and he gets tons of blocks and deflections on defense. He's no allstar but he could be the backup big on many teams.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,191

Post#11 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 2:41 am

27 year old with a shaky shot/ weird looking shot.

Athletically he’s in his prime but basketball wise he has a great motor. I think if he is your main backup at center, don’t think you’ll go far in the playoffs unless proven otherwise. He’s just too raw on offense to be effective overall. He can only dunk and put up 3 point shots but he hasn’t shown Any sort of consistency.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,155

Post#12 » by alienchild » Mon Feb 3, 2020 2:52 am

Alpha Mentality wrote:He doesn’t have a longer plan. Hes a guy that can play well in spurts. Hes 27 people think hes like 22 or 23. I don’t ever see him being a rotation player for a good team. I think hes ideally your 4th big who can come in a provide a boost and energy to your squad on certain nights. I honestly think the Raptors should try to take advantage of the value he gained this season.

Age shouldn't mean much in this case. He only started playing ball in 2012 when he was 19, plus he lost a ton of time when he tore his ACL in March 2017. He actually has room to grow his game and develop his skills.
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.
Raptorstorm
Sixth Man
And1: 1,029

Post#13 » by Raptorstorm » Mon Feb 3, 2020 2:53 am

3 yrs 10M.. let him retire Raptor
"IN MASAI WE TRUST" 8-)
Roco14
Sixth Man
And1: 3,551

Post#14 » by Roco14 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 2:57 am

give him McCaw's money. If he wants more let him walk
JustWin wrote:Masai when asked about the teams problems and if he plans on making a move:

"Uhhh, dis a tuff one guiys.. hehe"
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,510

Post#15 » by dagger » Mon Feb 3, 2020 2:58 am

alienchild wrote:

Age shouldn't mean much in this case. He only started playing ball in 2012 when he was 19, plus he lost a ton of time when he tore his ACL in March 2017. He actually has room to grow his game and develop his skills.

The fact he had an ACL reconstruction offsets some of the implied mileage he has left because of a late start.

The fact is, Masai and Bobby will have to do some picking and choosing. You can't keep everyone at market rates. One of our bench players is going to see the chance for a large payday. Given his age, Boucher might well feel he has to take the best offer he gets. Davis will be an RFA, and he's younger, so he's more likely to be a keeper. Then, Fred is an FA this coming summer, and Norm might want to opt out of his deal for the summer of 2021.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,139

Post#16 » by DelAbbot » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:09 am

Has anyone considered that Boucher has shown enough that he might want to get a bigger role on another team like Delon Wright?

Everyone talking about him like NBA2K
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,636

Post#17 » by 2019nbachamps » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:49 am

I'd like to see him get extended minutes at some point during the season (e.g., March/April if our seed is locked up) to determine if he can be a starter or give us 25ish mpg off the bench next season. Chances are Ibaka and/or Gasol are gone which gives Boucher a chance to step in.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#18 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 3:56 am

alienchild wrote:

shouldn't it be harder for an older player to develop skills? serious question. I keep seeing this but I don't think there is sufficient proof that a player that is so raw at the age of 27 would get significantly better.

edit: Pascal is still young and thus he could have been a lottery level player if he had played basketball much sooner. Boucher picked up basketball late and is older - which is a negative against him, esp within a few years, I.e. 30, his athleticism declines, the NBA schedule getting to his frail frame etc. I think more likely is that he can be good at being consistent. you know you're always getting 5-10 points, 5-7 rebounds, 1-2 blocks when he plays. thats the more important step if anything. don't get into foul trouble and making sure that shot can be as consistent as he can be.

edit x 2: I rather keep a guard over Boucher. I.e. TD2 over Boucher, anyday.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#19 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:03 am

Raptorstorm wrote:3 yrs 10M.. let him retire Raptor

I would pay him 3.33M to be a back up C. or even a backup backup C.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,317

Post#20 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:11 am

I would not worry about 2021 FA. Guys like Boucher on a solid deal are tradeable. If Giannis wants to be here we would work it out then
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023

Return to Toronto Raptors