ImageImageImageImageImage

2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2

Moderators: Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, niQ, Rhettmatic, Patman, pbj, Alfred

User avatar
OGLife
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,762
And1: 12,577
Joined: Jan 29, 2015
   

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#141 » by OGLife » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:27 pm

megalison wrote:
Merit wrote:
megalison wrote:
Giannis does not have more endorsement potential here than in the US. If the league moves to online streaming via YouTube or Twitch, then maybe geography/regional networks no longer matter, but American brands simply aren't going to endorse a player based in Canada who simply won't be seen by their consumers enough.

Climate will probably come into play. Giannis has lived in warm climates throughout his childhood.

If neither of those factors matter to Giannis, then it comes down to competition, family, and professional relationships. Would the Raptors offer a more competitive environment than Mil/LA/Miami? Maybe, but I don't think it's clear cut. Would his family rather live in Toronto over all of Mil/LA/Miami? As much as I love the city, that's a tough argument to make.

So really it comes down to Giannis and Masai's relationship. Is that relationship really that strong? My bet is no. The cherry on top is that Masai may be leaving anyway.


Climate means a whole lot less when the NBA is planning to move to a December start. Virtually everywhere will be cold, and furthermore - Toronto in the summer? Hands down one of the best places to be in North America.

Giannis is playing in Milwaukee right now. The climate there is comparable. Please, no need to overstate and bring up points that have been accounted for repeatedly.

Given the political climate in the USA, and Canada's response to the pandemic, Canada's way of life is quite appealing. In terms of lifestyle, Miami and LA are great. (Psst. Mona says hello). Most of the Raptors are focused family dudes. In terms of family, it's hard to argue that Miami or LA would be better options than Toronto.

Also, Masai has never said anything about leaving. If anything he's consistently said the opposite. Of course, anything could happen, but if you like those types of odds, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would be happy to sell you.


Have you ever been to LA or Miami, or checked the weather report? Like I said, I love Toronto but for an NBA superstar with no ties to Canada, there isn't much Toronto can offer that LA and/or Miami cannot. You mention Toronto in the summer, but what about the cold months of December to April? The fact that you keep on denying climate to be a factor is why the points keep coming up. Climate has legitimately been an issue with prospective free agents in the past!

Regarding politics, sure Canada probably takes this one. By 2021 however, there likely will be a Democrat in office.

The reason why I make these points is because the Giannis-to-Toronto rumours are so damn ridiculous. For him to choose Toronto would mean:

- Poor weather for half the season
- Significantly higher taxes
- His partner would need to move to Canada (she's an American citizen from California by the way)
- Reduced sponsorship potential
- Cutting his ties to Milwaukee

... all for a similar likelihood of winning a championship, and Masai.

Giannis is not single so I hardly believe he would care as a single athlete would a out the weather.

Also how is Davis doing in LA with those sponsorships? How about Paul George? It's been mainly LeBron with Kawhi a distant second.

Nobody is denying Miami as a team who could sign Giannis, however, LA is not a head of Toronto.

Also, when Kawhi was a Raptor, it didn't stop him from getting a sneakers deal. You have an entire country here that you can get advertisement deals from. Nobody is going to beat LeBron in the US with any sponsorship.

Also, LOL at your opinion that Biden will improve the state of the US. I also don't believe Trump would. I don't believe in any political group and it's just a way to make a nut job powerful and seperate people ala Religion.
megalison
Ballboy
Posts: 28
And1: 9
Joined: Feb 19, 2020
         

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#142 » by megalison » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:45 pm

OGLife wrote:
megalison wrote:
Merit wrote:
Climate means a whole lot less when the NBA is planning to move to a December start. Virtually everywhere will be cold, and furthermore - Toronto in the summer? Hands down one of the best places to be in North America.

Giannis is playing in Milwaukee right now. The climate there is comparable. Please, no need to overstate and bring up points that have been accounted for repeatedly.

Given the political climate in the USA, and Canada's response to the pandemic, Canada's way of life is quite appealing. In terms of lifestyle, Miami and LA are great. (Psst. Mona says hello). Most of the Raptors are focused family dudes. In terms of family, it's hard to argue that Miami or LA would be better options than Toronto.

Also, Masai has never said anything about leaving. If anything he's consistently said the opposite. Of course, anything could happen, but if you like those types of odds, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would be happy to sell you.


Have you ever been to LA or Miami, or checked the weather report? Like I said, I love Toronto but for an NBA superstar with no ties to Canada, there isn't much Toronto can offer that LA and/or Miami cannot. You mention Toronto in the summer, but what about the cold months of December to April? The fact that you keep on denying climate to be a factor is why the points keep coming up. Climate has legitimately been an issue with prospective free agents in the past!

Regarding politics, sure Canada probably takes this one. By 2021 however, there likely will be a Democrat in office.

The reason why I make these points is because the Giannis-to-Toronto rumours are so damn ridiculous. For him to choose Toronto would mean:

- Poor weather for half the season
- Significantly higher taxes
- His partner would need to move to Canada (she's an American citizen from California by the way)
- Reduced sponsorship potential
- Cutting his ties to Milwaukee

... all for a similar likelihood of winning a championship, and Masai.

Giannis is not single so I hardly believe he would care as a single athlete would a out the weather.

Also how is Davis doing in LA with those sponsorships? How about Paul George? It's been mainly LeBron with Kawhi a distant second.

Nobody is denying Miami as a team who could sign Giannis, however, LA is not a head of Toronto.

Also, when Kawhi was a Raptor, it didn't stop him from getting a sneakers deal. You have an entire country here that you can get advertisement deals from. Nobody is going to beat LeBron in the US with any sponsorship.

Also, LOL at your opinion that Biden will improve the state of the US. I also don't believe Trump would. I don't believe in any political group and it's just a way to make a nut job powerful and seperate people ala Religion.


AD and PG just joined their respective teams this year, and then Covid caused businesses around the world to conserve cash. As the economy recovers, they will get paid. For what it's worth, AD is considered a top candidate to get his own signature shoe.

Simple economics would suggest that playing in a larger market and more exposure equates to a greater $ value in endorsements. The point people bring up about 'an entire country' is so misleading, because companies don't use population to determine ROI on an endorsement, they use viewership and ratings. What matters isn't the 35 million population, but the number of people who tune in and watch a player. It's simply a fact that American viewers don't tend to watch Raptors games.

I'm not saying Biden will improve the state of the US, but in this case it's not what his administration will do, it's the perception of what they might do. NBA players in general skew liberal and that means if a democratic candidate is elected, the general perception will be positive.
User avatar
OGLife
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,762
And1: 12,577
Joined: Jan 29, 2015
   

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#143 » by OGLife » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:11 pm

megalison wrote:
OGLife wrote:
megalison wrote:
Have you ever been to LA or Miami, or checked the weather report? Like I said, I love Toronto but for an NBA superstar with no ties to Canada, there isn't much Toronto can offer that LA and/or Miami cannot. You mention Toronto in the summer, but what about the cold months of December to April? The fact that you keep on denying climate to be a factor is why the points keep coming up. Climate has legitimately been an issue with prospective free agents in the past!

Regarding politics, sure Canada probably takes this one. By 2021 however, there likely will be a Democrat in office.

The reason why I make these points is because the Giannis-to-Toronto rumours are so damn ridiculous. For him to choose Toronto would mean:

- Poor weather for half the season
- Significantly higher taxes
- His partner would need to move to Canada (she's an American citizen from California by the way)
- Reduced sponsorship potential
- Cutting his ties to Milwaukee

... all for a similar likelihood of winning a championship, and Masai.

Giannis is not single so I hardly believe he would care as a single athlete would a out the weather.

Also how is Davis doing in LA with those sponsorships? How about Paul George? It's been mainly LeBron with Kawhi a distant second.

Nobody is denying Miami as a team who could sign Giannis, however, LA is not a head of Toronto.

Also, when Kawhi was a Raptor, it didn't stop him from getting a sneakers deal. You have an entire country here that you can get advertisement deals from. Nobody is going to beat LeBron in the US with any sponsorship.

Also, LOL at your opinion that Biden will improve the state of the US. I also don't believe Trump would. I don't believe in any political group and it's just a way to make a nut job powerful and seperate people ala Religion.


AD and PG just joined their respective teams this year, and then Covid caused businesses around the world to conserve cash. As the economy recovers, they will get paid. For what it's worth, AD is considered a top candidate to get his own signature shoe.

Simple economics would suggest that playing in a larger market and more exposure equates to a greater $ value in endorsements. The point people bring up about 'an entire country' is so misleading, because companies don't use population to determine ROI on an endorsement, they use viewership and ratings. What matters isn't the 35 million population, but the number of people who tune in and watch a player. It's simply a fact that American viewers don't tend to watch Raptors games.

I'm not saying Biden will improve the state of the US, but in this case it's not what his administration will do, it's the perception of what they might do. NBA players in general skew liberal and that means if a democratic candidate is elected, the general perception will be positive.

You seriously need to get in touch with the young community (who's also leasing the BLM movement) as they either see Biden's bull or are starting to see it.
megalison
Ballboy
Posts: 28
And1: 9
Joined: Feb 19, 2020
         

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#144 » by megalison » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:45 pm

OGLife wrote:
megalison wrote:
OGLife wrote:Giannis is not single so I hardly believe he would care as a single athlete would a out the weather.

Also how is Davis doing in LA with those sponsorships? How about Paul George? It's been mainly LeBron with Kawhi a distant second.

Nobody is denying Miami as a team who could sign Giannis, however, LA is not a head of Toronto.

Also, when Kawhi was a Raptor, it didn't stop him from getting a sneakers deal. You have an entire country here that you can get advertisement deals from. Nobody is going to beat LeBron in the US with any sponsorship.

Also, LOL at your opinion that Biden will improve the state of the US. I also don't believe Trump would. I don't believe in any political group and it's just a way to make a nut job powerful and seperate people ala Religion.


AD and PG just joined their respective teams this year, and then Covid caused businesses around the world to conserve cash. As the economy recovers, they will get paid. For what it's worth, AD is considered a top candidate to get his own signature shoe.

Simple economics would suggest that playing in a larger market and more exposure equates to a greater $ value in endorsements. The point people bring up about 'an entire country' is so misleading, because companies don't use population to determine ROI on an endorsement, they use viewership and ratings. What matters isn't the 35 million population, but the number of people who tune in and watch a player. It's simply a fact that American viewers don't tend to watch Raptors games.

I'm not saying Biden will improve the state of the US, but in this case it's not what his administration will do, it's the perception of what they might do. NBA players in general skew liberal and that means if a democratic candidate is elected, the general perception will be positive.

You seriously need to get in touch with the young community (who's also leasing the BLM movement) as they either see Biden's bull or are starting to see it.


What's your point? You really don't think the general public, and young BLM supporters are still going to prefer Biden over Trump? Also not sure how this even impacts Giannis' decision.
User avatar
Merit
Analyst
Posts: 3,405
And1: 926
Joined: Jul 23, 2004
Location: we're movin' on up!
       

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#145 » by Merit » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:54 pm

megalison wrote:
OGLife wrote:
megalison wrote:
Have you ever been to LA or Miami, or checked the weather report? Like I said, I love Toronto but for an NBA superstar with no ties to Canada, there isn't much Toronto can offer that LA and/or Miami cannot. You mention Toronto in the summer, but what about the cold months of December to April? The fact that you keep on denying climate to be a factor is why the points keep coming up. Climate has legitimately been an issue with prospective free agents in the past!

Regarding politics, sure Canada probably takes this one. By 2021 however, there likely will be a Democrat in office.

The reason why I make these points is because the Giannis-to-Toronto rumours are so damn ridiculous. For him to choose Toronto would mean:

- Poor weather for half the season
- Significantly higher taxes
- His partner would need to move to Canada (she's an American citizen from California by the way)
- Reduced sponsorship potential
- Cutting his ties to Milwaukee

... all for a similar likelihood of winning a championship, and Masai.

Giannis is not single so I hardly believe he would care as a single athlete would a out the weather.

Also how is Davis doing in LA with those sponsorships? How about Paul George? It's been mainly LeBron with Kawhi a distant second.

Nobody is denying Miami as a team who could sign Giannis, however, LA is not a head of Toronto.

Also, when Kawhi was a Raptor, it didn't stop him from getting a sneakers deal. You have an entire country here that you can get advertisement deals from. Nobody is going to beat LeBron in the US with any sponsorship.

Also, LOL at your opinion that Biden will improve the state of the US. I also don't believe Trump would. I don't believe in any political group and it's just a way to make a nut job powerful and seperate people ala Religion.


AD and PG just joined their respective teams this year, and then Covid caused businesses around the world to conserve cash. As the economy recovers, they will get paid. For what it's worth, AD is considered a top candidate to get his own signature shoe.

Simple economics would suggest that playing in a larger market and more exposure equates to a greater $ value in endorsements. The point people bring up about 'an entire country' is so misleading, because companies don't use population to determine ROI on an endorsement, they use viewership and ratings. What matters isn't the 35 million population, but the number of people who tune in and watch a player. It's simply a fact that American viewers don't tend to watch Raptors games.

I'm not saying Biden will improve the state of the US, but in this case it's not what his administration will do, it's the perception of what they might do. NBA players in general skew liberal and that means if a democratic candidate is elected, the general perception will be positive.


- Poor weather for half the season

I've lived in South Florida. It's obviously great if you're well off and in an exclusive community. However, if you're factoring climate into things, have you lived in Florida in the summer? It's brutal. Also, during the season, if you're talking nightlife, Toronto has it. Feel free to google "White Vegas".

- Significantly higher taxes

This myth has been debunked. It's comparable to being in California, for example.

- His partner would need to move to Canada (she's an American citizen from California by the way)

If she lived in California, one of the most progressive American states, she'll find a lot of similarities in thinking and ways of life in Toronto. She/they can also have their offseason home wherever they want to defer taxes in Canada. They also pay in Canadian $ which is less than American - though that is small potatoes when discussing Giannis' likely lifestyle.

- Reduced sponsorship potential

This myth has been debunked. You just spoke about a larger market. Last I checked, 35 million is a larger market than any American city. Furthermore, Vince is a prime example of a player who did extremely well with a signature shoe and US-wide endorsements when he played in Canada. Also, generating $$ from endorsements has nothing to do with market size. Shaq has rub a535 and there are a ton of other opportunities that are local or Canada only, never mind the Greek and African communities in the GTA. If anything, Canada as a market is undervalued.

- Cutting his ties to Milwaukee

Weather in December to April in Toronto is similar to Milwaukee. You cut ties with your ex to move on to your current partner. Pretty normal.

Regardless, none of us really know - but your suggestions that Toronto is anything other than world-class and cosmopolitan are wildly off target. This board has heard them all. Neither you nor I have anything to provide other than speculation - and I'd argue that winning is the deciding trump card. Let's see what happens.
Image
I believe in Masai.
Klaw22
Senior
Posts: 520
And1: 437
Joined: Feb 15, 2019
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
   

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#146 » by Klaw22 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:20 am

Lol Giannis will not come to Toronto. 35 mill Canadians? Of course, any Canadian will be a raptors fan as soon as Giannis is in Toronto. Hell no. Canada still not loving basketball. It's a minority. Kawhi didn't get anything with his endorsement deal with NB back when he was with Toronto. Just the Shirts for promotion. They didn't sell anything in Europe. Over here, we do have all the American sport names, commercials, but no Canadian. That's the truth. Not even a **** Leonard jersey in the online Nike store was online. But anyone else, even Mitchell.
Canada sucks for everyone if you want some endorsement deals. It's just the reality and I'm OK with that. That's our destiny and we should live with it.
I don't think, Giannis will leave Milwaukee for LA (there's no way he's playing with AD and Bron). He will stay or start something new. But it will be definitely not toronto. To many question marks for the next 1-2 years. The 5, new PG, SG, bench...
User avatar
Merit
Analyst
Posts: 3,405
And1: 926
Joined: Jul 23, 2004
Location: we're movin' on up!
       

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#147 » by Merit » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:49 pm

Klaw22 wrote:Lol Giannis will not come to Toronto. 35 mill Canadians? Of course, any Canadian will be a raptors fan as soon as Giannis is in Toronto. Hell no. Canada still not loving basketball. It's a minority. Kawhi didn't get anything with his endorsement deal with NB back when he was with Toronto. Just the Shirts for promotion. They didn't sell anything in Europe. Over here, we do have all the American sport names, commercials, but no Canadian. That's the truth. Not even a **** Leonard jersey in the online Nike store was online. But anyone else, even Mitchell.
Canada sucks for everyone if you want some endorsement deals. It's just the reality and I'm OK with that. That's our destiny and we should live with it.
I don't think, Giannis will leave Milwaukee for LA (there's no way he's playing with AD and Bron). He will stay or start something new. But it will be definitely not toronto. To many question marks for the next 1-2 years. The 5, new PG, SG, bench...


Canada has the second most nba players, by country, in the league. If that doesn’t tell you that your view on basketball is off base, I don’t know what does. The word minority in this case is only accurate when referring to the millions of minorities who immigrated to Canada and who brought their love of the sport with them. Last I checked, there aren’t too many minorities playing in the NHL. Additionally, if you go by ratings, by sellouts, by merchandise and by general popularity Eg. “Jurassic Parks” across Canada - the Raptors have been doing extremely well. There’s no way Milwaukee would have a 10000 person strong viewing party in once city outside of itself, never mind however many cities across Canada had viewing parties for the Raptors.

Kawhi was on a 1 year contract with Toronto, and yet he got his shoe deal when he was here. He got over 5 mil a year, which is in the top 15 in the NBA. Hard to argue with that. His exclusive models sold out in less than 5 minutes.

This bull$hit narrative has to stop. Being in Canada means you now have the American and Canadian markets.

I can’t comment on the jerseys because I don’t know enough, but I’m guessing that a fair number of Kawhi jerseys were sold in Canada. Having said that, Kawhi and Giannis are completely different personalities. Giannis is more like Vince in that he electrifies a crowd. He’ll do well in endorsements regardless. If Matt Bonner and guys like JV, CJ miles and mr. primo pasta can get endorsements, Giannis certainly can.
Image
I believe in Masai.
agkagk
Pro Prospect
Posts: 848
And1: 510
Joined: Sep 03, 2011

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#148 » by agkagk » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:43 pm

OGLife wrote:
megalison wrote:
Merit wrote:
Climate means a whole lot less when the NBA is planning to move to a December start. Virtually everywhere will be cold, and furthermore - Toronto in the summer? Hands down one of the best places to be in North America.

Giannis is playing in Milwaukee right now. The climate there is comparable. Please, no need to overstate and bring up points that have been accounted for repeatedly.

Given the political climate in the USA, and Canada's response to the pandemic, Canada's way of life is quite appealing. In terms of lifestyle, Miami and LA are great. (Psst. Mona says hello). Most of the Raptors are focused family dudes. In terms of family, it's hard to argue that Miami or LA would be better options than Toronto.

Also, Masai has never said anything about leaving. If anything he's consistently said the opposite. Of course, anything could happen, but if you like those types of odds, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would be happy to sell you.


Have you ever been to LA or Miami, or checked the weather report? Like I said, I love Toronto but for an NBA superstar with no ties to Canada, there isn't much Toronto can offer that LA and/or Miami cannot. You mention Toronto in the summer, but what about the cold months of December to April? The fact that you keep on denying climate to be a factor is why the points keep coming up. Climate has legitimately been an issue with prospective free agents in the past!

Regarding politics, sure Canada probably takes this one. By 2021 however, there likely will be a Democrat in office.

The reason why I make these points is because the Giannis-to-Toronto rumours are so damn ridiculous. For him to choose Toronto would mean:

- Poor weather for half the season
- Significantly higher taxes
- His partner would need to move to Canada (she's an American citizen from California by the way)
- Reduced sponsorship potential
- Cutting his ties to Milwaukee

... all for a similar likelihood of winning a championship, and Masai.

Giannis is not single so I hardly believe he would care as a single athlete would a out the weather.

Also how is Davis doing in LA with those sponsorships? How about Paul George? It's been mainly LeBron with Kawhi a distant second.

Nobody is denying Miami as a team who could sign Giannis, however, LA is not a head of Toronto.

Also, when Kawhi was a Raptor, it didn't stop him from getting a sneakers deal. You have an entire country here that you can get advertisement deals from. Nobody is going to beat LeBron in the US with any sponsorship.

Also, LOL at your opinion that Biden will improve the state of the US. I also don't believe Trump would. I don't believe in any political group and it's just a way to make a nut job powerful and seperate people ala Religion.



No Greek likes the cold and Miami and that region of Florida is the closest to Greece I have personally seen.

Miami is going to be a big problem.
User avatar
OGLife
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,762
And1: 12,577
Joined: Jan 29, 2015
   

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#149 » by OGLife » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:16 pm

agkagk wrote:
OGLife wrote:
megalison wrote:
Have you ever been to LA or Miami, or checked the weather report? Like I said, I love Toronto but for an NBA superstar with no ties to Canada, there isn't much Toronto can offer that LA and/or Miami cannot. You mention Toronto in the summer, but what about the cold months of December to April? The fact that you keep on denying climate to be a factor is why the points keep coming up. Climate has legitimately been an issue with prospective free agents in the past!

Regarding politics, sure Canada probably takes this one. By 2021 however, there likely will be a Democrat in office.

The reason why I make these points is because the Giannis-to-Toronto rumours are so damn ridiculous. For him to choose Toronto would mean:

- Poor weather for half the season
- Significantly higher taxes
- His partner would need to move to Canada (she's an American citizen from California by the way)
- Reduced sponsorship potential
- Cutting his ties to Milwaukee

... all for a similar likelihood of winning a championship, and Masai.

Giannis is not single so I hardly believe he would care as a single athlete would a out the weather.

Also how is Davis doing in LA with those sponsorships? How about Paul George? It's been mainly LeBron with Kawhi a distant second.

Nobody is denying Miami as a team who could sign Giannis, however, LA is not a head of Toronto.

Also, when Kawhi was a Raptor, it didn't stop him from getting a sneakers deal. You have an entire country here that you can get advertisement deals from. Nobody is going to beat LeBron in the US with any sponsorship.

Also, LOL at your opinion that Biden will improve the state of the US. I also don't believe Trump would. I don't believe in any political group and it's just a way to make a nut job powerful and seperate people ala Religion.



No Greek likes the cold and Miami and that region of Florida is the closest to Greece I have personally seen.

Miami is going to be a big problem.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Miami is a threat but they have been linked to Victor Oladipo and not Giannis.
agkagk
Pro Prospect
Posts: 848
And1: 510
Joined: Sep 03, 2011

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#150 » by agkagk » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:16 am

OGLife wrote:
agkagk wrote:
OGLife wrote:Giannis is not single so I hardly believe he would care as a single athlete would a out the weather.

Also how is Davis doing in LA with those sponsorships? How about Paul George? It's been mainly LeBron with Kawhi a distant second.

Nobody is denying Miami as a team who could sign Giannis, however, LA is not a head of Toronto.

Also, when Kawhi was a Raptor, it didn't stop him from getting a sneakers deal. You have an entire country here that you can get advertisement deals from. Nobody is going to beat LeBron in the US with any sponsorship.

Also, LOL at your opinion that Biden will improve the state of the US. I also don't believe Trump would. I don't believe in any political group and it's just a way to make a nut job powerful and seperate people ala Religion.



No Greek likes the cold and Miami and that region of Florida is the closest to Greece I have personally seen.

Miami is going to be a big problem.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Miami is a threat but they have been linked to Victor Oladipo and not Giannis.



Don’t play poker with pat riley, ever. You know he’s circling.
User avatar
HeadtopChunes
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,439
And1: 9,072
Joined: Apr 04, 2017

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#151 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:53 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
User avatar
Psubs
General Manager
Posts: 7,922
And1: 5,731
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: Toronto

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#152 » by Psubs » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:17 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21


Should they give him RHJ's roster spot next year? If they draft Reed, it'll work out. I think he'd at least be the beefy complement to Boucher.

I really want Nerlens Noel for the full MLE for 4 years with max raises to try and pry him away from OKC. Getting him for his prime years. He just doesn't shoot 3's but would cost less than half of what Serge might get.
Image
Image
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 17,853
And1: 2,064
Joined: Dec 29, 2005
Location: Jurassic Park
         

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#153 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Aug 3, 2020 7:47 pm

Psubs wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21


Should they give him RHJ's roster spot next year? If they draft Reed, it'll work out. I think he'd at least be the beefy complement to Boucher.

I really want Nerlens Noel for the full MLE for 4 years with max raises to try and pry him away from OKC. Getting him for his prime years. He just doesn't shoot 3's but would cost less than half of what Serge might get.
Noel would be an interesting get especially if Toronto moves on from Serge Ibaka or Gasol. Noel is still a good defender
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
User avatar
Psubs
General Manager
Posts: 7,922
And1: 5,731
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: Toronto

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#154 » by Psubs » Tue Aug 4, 2020 2:51 pm

Does Ibaka re-sign on a 1 year deal for $25 million? If not, maybe a sign and trade to a destination of his choice for an expiring and a 1st pick?

Ibaka might like hip Brooklyn?

Toronto trades: Serge Ibaka and Patrick McCaw
Toronto gets: Deandre Jordan, Derrick Rose and Tony Snell

Gotta flip Dinwiddie in case he gets hurt and opts into his player option. If Snell, opts out that's cool to save money. Maybe flip him to Portland for Ariza. Snell is younger but Ariza has more experience. Both shoot the 3 well. Portland may want the bird rights of the younger player.

Brooklyn trades: Deandre Jordan and Spencer Dinwiddie
Brooklyn gets: Serge Ibaka

Detroit trades: Derrick Rose and Tony Snell
Detroit gets: Spencer Dinwiddie and Patrick McCaw

PG Lowry - Rose - TD
SG FVV - Lowry - Thomas
SF OG - Powell
PF Siakam - OG - #28
C Marc - Jordan
Image
Image
durka
Starter
Posts: 2,065
And1: 699
Joined: Jun 26, 2008

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#155 » by durka » Tue Aug 4, 2020 4:10 pm

NYG wrote:If the Knicks offered VanVleet 3 years, $66 Million starting at $21 Million and offered the Raptors the option of making it a sign and trade where they got Kevin Knox, Dennis Smith Jr. and Frank Ntilikina.

Would the Raptors?
A. Beat that offer and keep VanVleet.
B. Let him take it and go to NY with no sign and trade.
C. Let him take it, but get the return of Kevin Knox, Dennis Smith Jr. and Frank Ntilikina in the process.

That's really tough. I love fred, but get 3 recent lottery picks who have been stuck in bad organizations with our history of player development is super tempting. At least one of those guys would turn into a good player in this system
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 17,853
And1: 2,064
Joined: Dec 29, 2005
Location: Jurassic Park
         

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#156 » by Mr Swagtastic » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:20 pm

durka wrote:
NYG wrote:If the Knicks offered VanVleet 3 years, $66 Million starting at $21 Million and offered the Raptors the option of making it a sign and trade where they got Kevin Knox, Dennis Smith Jr. and Frank Ntilikina.

Would the Raptors?
A. Beat that offer and keep VanVleet.
B. Let him take it and go to NY with no sign and trade.
C. Let him take it, but get the return of Kevin Knox, Dennis Smith Jr. and Frank Ntilikina in the process.

That's really tough. I love fred, but get 3 recent lottery picks who have been stuck in bad organizations with our history of player development is super tempting. At least one of those guys would turn into a good player in this system
Think it's safe to say Frank Nitakinla is what he is. I don't see a trade to Toronto to turn his career around and turn into anything more than say a 10th man off the bench. Right now if you look at the roster he's not better than Powell, Lowry, Thomas or Anunoby so he's battling guys like McCaw, Thomas and Brisett for that spot. I think he's a guy destined to go play over in Europe after his deal. Knox isn't great either he's still kinda young but what's his role? His rebounding numbers are pretty bad considering his size and his shooting percentages don't jump out either. Smith Jr again isn't great he's an athletic guard that can't shoot a three at a good percentage and shoot period. A split of 34/30/50 is really bad. Idk if Toronto even wants to waste a roster spot or salary on either of them
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
GM89
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 18
Joined: May 25, 2020
 

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#157 » by GM89 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:55 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
durka wrote:
NYG wrote:If the Knicks offered VanVleet 3 years, $66 Million starting at $21 Million and offered the Raptors the option of making it a sign and trade where they got Kevin Knox, Dennis Smith Jr. and Frank Ntilikina.

Would the Raptors?
A. Beat that offer and keep VanVleet.
B. Let him take it and go to NY with no sign and trade.
C. Let him take it, but get the return of Kevin Knox, Dennis Smith Jr. and Frank Ntilikina in the process.

That's really tough. I love fred, but get 3 recent lottery picks who have been stuck in bad organizations with our history of player development is super tempting. At least one of those guys would turn into a good player in this system
Think it's safe to say Frank Nitakinla is what he is. I don't see a trade to Toronto to turn his career around and turn into anything more than say a 10th man off the bench. Right now if you look at the roster he's not better than Powell, Lowry, Thomas or Anunoby so he's battling guys like McCaw, Thomas and Brisett for that spot. I think he's a guy destined to go play over in Europe after his deal. Knox isn't great either he's still kinda young but what's his role? His rebounding numbers are pretty bad considering his size and his shooting percentages don't jump out either. Smith Jr again isn't great he's an athletic guard that can't shoot a three at a good percentage and shoot period. A split of 34/30/50 is really bad. Idk if Toronto even wants to waste a roster spot or salary on either of them


The raps will keep VanVleet. You don't get rid of a sure thing who also proved to be a winning player and a difference maker on a championship team go for a bunch underwhelming players who were drafted high 2-3 years ago. Does SJ warming the bench not tell people anything about how the draft lottery is a crapshoot?
User avatar
Psubs
General Manager
Posts: 7,922
And1: 5,731
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: Toronto

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#158 » by Psubs » Tue Aug 4, 2020 7:08 pm

durka wrote:
NYG wrote:If the Knicks offered VanVleet 3 years, $66 Million starting at $21 Million and offered the Raptors the option of making it a sign and trade where they got Kevin Knox, Dennis Smith Jr. and Frank Ntilikina.

Would the Raptors?
A. Beat that offer and keep VanVleet.
B. Let him take it and go to NY with no sign and trade.
C. Let him take it, but get the return of Kevin Knox, Dennis Smith Jr. and Frank Ntilikina in the process.

That's really tough. I love fred, but get 3 recent lottery picks who have been stuck in bad organizations with our history of player development is super tempting. At least one of those guys would turn into a good player in this system


Maybe I roll the dice on that for Powell and Stanley Johnson.

I select option A easily. FVV has shown to be clutch in the NBA Finals.
Image
Image
YelloC
Veteran
Posts: 2,866
And1: 3,611
Joined: Apr 19, 2018
     

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#159 » by YelloC » Wed Aug 5, 2020 12:33 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

If the Raptors still hold his rights like with Nando than I wouldn’t mind him going overseas to get significant playing time.
He could be the heir apparent to Serge if he refines his skills.
Draft wise this year I would be looking to mould someone under Marc Gasols tutelage assuming we’re sign him for 1-2 more years.
Aamir Simms is an interesting prospect(Diaw-like) but he decided to stay at Clemson for his Sr season.
Tillman checks some boxes.
Anyone know any other bigman prospects with an advanced passing toolkit?
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 17,853
And1: 2,064
Joined: Dec 29, 2005
Location: Jurassic Park
         

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#160 » by Mr Swagtastic » Wed Aug 5, 2020 2:34 am

GM89 wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:
durka wrote:That's really tough. I love fred, but get 3 recent lottery picks who have been stuck in bad organizations with our history of player development is super tempting. At least one of those guys would turn into a good player in this system
Think it's safe to say Frank Nitakinla is what he is. I don't see a trade to Toronto to turn his career around and turn into anything more than say a 10th man off the bench. Right now if you look at the roster he's not better than Powell, Lowry, Thomas or Anunoby so he's battling guys like McCaw, Thomas and Brisett for that spot. I think he's a guy destined to go play over in Europe after his deal. Knox isn't great either he's still kinda young but what's his role? His rebounding numbers are pretty bad considering his size and his shooting percentages don't jump out either. Smith Jr again isn't great he's an athletic guard that can't shoot a three at a good percentage and shoot period. A split of 34/30/50 is really bad. Idk if Toronto even wants to waste a roster spot or salary on either of them


The raps will keep VanVleet. You don't get rid of a sure thing who also proved to be a winning player and a difference maker on a championship team go for a bunch underwhelming players who were drafted high 2-3 years ago. Does SJ warming the bench not tell people anything about how the draft lottery is a crapshoot?
Yeah I think Freddy loves it here and signs a deal that's favourable to Toronto. Like I said the guys from New York aren't great. VanVleet gets more from other teams in terms of trade offers.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry

Return to Toronto Raptors