ImageImageImageImageImage

2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2

Moderators: niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,590

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#101 » by Psubs » Mon Jun 8, 2020 5:19 pm

BallstriKer wrote:True, they don't have many centers to build around for the future on their roster. We might need to overpay slightly for the Spurs not to match. But, if DeMar picks up his player option, which he most likely will, the Spurs will be over the cap. They might be forced to chose between re-signing Forbes or Poeltl. Given that Forbes is a starter and Poeltl is not, there's a chance they might not want to match a slight overpay for Poeltl.

They take Poeltl no question. Bryn Forbes is overrated and not a good defender that shouldn't have been starting. Maybe Pop was too loyal. Derrick White should've been starting. I think they're trying to hide his value so his next contract is like Powell's current one. Same for Lonnie Walker the year after.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#102 » by Psubs » Mon Jun 8, 2020 5:24 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
Psubs wrote:https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/why-warriors-should-pursue-marc-gasol-beginning-nba-free-agency

I think we can retain Marc for slightly over the MLE. What about $12-10-12-8 million. Would Ibaka come back for $18 million per season? 4 years with 4th year player option?

Yeah I think Marc for the MLE is good.

Ibaka should be traded though. I'd say he's a top 5 or so C in the NBA and will be looking for his last big deal that we definitely should not signing him to unless its for the purposes of trading.

I've always thought an Ibaka/Hayward swap would be really good for both teams, unlikely as that might be.

Something with him going to Portland could be interesting as well but it would be hard to match salaries and get good value.

Getting Myles Turner in return would be amazing but it would require a 3 team deal as Indiana has committed to Sabonis.

Those are the only teams I can think of that have a need and could give reasonable value.

Portland is a hipster enough location for Serge to accept a sign and trade. Nurkic and Ariza ($25.7 million total with Ariza expiring) for Ibaka making $26-25-25-24 million?
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,413

Post#103 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 3:22 pm

Psubs wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
Psubs wrote:https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/why-warriors-should-pursue-marc-gasol-beginning-nba-free-agency

I think we can retain Marc for slightly over the MLE. What about $12-10-12-8 million. Would Ibaka come back for $18 million per season? 4 years with 4th year player option?

Ibaka should be traded though. I'd say he's a top 5 or so C in the NBA and will be looking for his last big deal that we definitely should not signing him to unless its for the purposes of trading.

I've always thought an Ibaka/Hayward swap would be really good for both teams, unlikely as that might be.

Something with him going to Portland could be interesting as well but it would be hard to match salaries and get good value.

Getting Myles Turner in return would be amazing but it would require a 3 team deal as Indiana has committed to Sabonis.

Those are the only teams I can think of that have a need and could give reasonable value.

Portland is a hipster enough location for Serge to accept a sign and trade. Nurkic and Ariza ($25.7 million total with Ariza expiring) for Ibaka making $26-25-25-24 million?

This is interesting.... I would do this but I don't know if Portland would though. That's two of their starters we'd be asking for and we'd only be sending Ibaka in return.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,309

Post#104 » by JRoy » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:56 pm

Psubs wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:

No thanks from POR. No incentive to trade for an older, more expensive player who is at best no better than than Nurk and at worst is somewhat worse.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#105 » by Psubs » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:56 pm

Why are they waiting for Aug 25 for the Draft Lottery?
Raptors_128
Analyst
And1: 3,275

Post#106 » by Raptors_128 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:46 pm

Psubs wrote:Why are they waiting for Aug 25 for the Draft Lottery?

I believe around August 16-17 is when we’ll know who is actually making the playoffs. Lottery odds could change by then if another team other than the current 8th seeds make the playoffs.
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,728

Post#107 » by MessiahUjiri » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:51 am

The warriors are going to want to cash in on that 1st pick. I bet we could present an interesting offer, because Anunoby would be the perfect player around Steph, Klay and Draymond.

OG Anunoby, Norman Powell, Terrence Davis, Raps 1st (~low 20s)

for

GSW 1st (~top 2), Andrew Wiggins

Warriors unload Wiggins to reduce repeater tax, Raptors go for a high ceiling prospect like Anthony Edwards.

Anthony Edwards is legitimately like a bigger Oladipo & Dwyane Wade style of player. If you wanna put a winning core with Siakam, someone like a Bradley Beal is an ideal complement. In this case, a trio of Siakam, Edwards and Fred is an excellent balance of young guys who play both ends of the floor. Fred has the floor vision with outside shooting. Edwards the slasher. Siakam would feed off this energy.

+ Resign one of Ibaka/Gasol

Rotation:
Lowry/Fred
Fred/Edwards
Wiggins/
Siakam/Boucher
Gasol or Ibaka/Boucher

Warriors go with Steph/Klay/OG/Draymond, and Norm as sixth man. Anunoby will likely immediately become their best defensive player.

Win now, and shoot for high ceiling in the future. That would be exactly a Masai type of move.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,828

Post#108 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:46 pm

^^^ You want to blow it up this season? No thanks.

Also you don't know where the lottery balls land.
MessiahUjiri
Analyst

Post#109 » by MessiahUjiri » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:01 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:^^^ You want to blow it up this season? No thanks.

This would obviously be an off-season trade, and I clearly called out an assumption that the GSW pick is top 2, which is highly probable. Sorry that you got offended.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager

Post#110 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:15 pm

Ideally I'd try and get Serge on a 1+1 type of contract. It gives us more cap flexibility and makes him easier to trade in the event we need to shed salary. I want to keep Serge on this roster for sure though.

Retaining all three of Fred / Ibaka / Gasol is going to be difficult unless the MLSE is willing to pay up. Fred will likely be top priority. Let's say he get's $17 million per season (he's likely going to ask for more than that). Let's say you also give Ibaka $17 million per season. That puts us as at $120 million without factoring in any Gasol contract -- I think you try for MLE on Gasol.

Who's more important a 34 year old Marc Gasol or a 30 year old Serge Ibaka? How high into the tax is the MLSE willing to go?
JShuttlesworth
General Manager

Post#111 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:18 pm

MessiahUjiri wrote:

This would obviously be an off-season trade, and I clearly called out an assumption that the GSW pick is top 2, which is highly probable. Sorry that you got offended.

Of course it's an offseason trade. When else would it be?

Not offended at all I just think it's a bad idea.

Sorry it triggered you?

Also..the odds are that they don't get a top 2 pick. http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds
MessiahUjiri
Analyst

Post#112 » by MessiahUjiri » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:15 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:
MessiahUjiri wrote:

Sorry it triggered you?

Also..the odds are that they don't get a top 2 pick. http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

Would you be happier if I said that this is premised on the assumption that they’ve got one of the top 3 picks? It seems like you’re stuck on that technicality rather than the actual trade proposal.

The thesis still stands: Warriors are likely to shop their pick. If we see a high ceiling young prospect, we would be smart to call them with an offer.

JShuttlesworth
General Manager

Post#113 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:21 pm

MessiahUjiri wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:
MessiahUjiri wrote:

Sorry it triggered you?

Would you be happier if I said that this is premised on the assumption that they’ve got one of the top 3 picks? It seems like you’re stuck on that technicality rather than the actual trade proposal.

The thesis still stands: Warriors are likely to shop their pick. If we see a high ceiling young prospect, we would be smart to call them with an offer.

Clearly I just don't think Edwards is worth OG Anunoby, Norman Powell, Terrence Davis, and our first. You could just as easily move those players for a proven NBA talent. If you didn't have the $30 million attached to Wiggins coming the other way, it's a different story. But with Wiggins and his bad contract, it's just not worth it to me.

Whether it's the 1, 2, 4, or 7 pick doesn't make a difference. That's not the point.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,146

Post#114 » by God Squad » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:50 am

JShuttlesworth wrote:
MessiahUjiri wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:

Sorry it triggered you?

Clearly I just don't think Edwards is worth OG Anunoby, Norman Powell, Terrence Davis, and our first. You could just as easily move those players for a proven NBA talent. If you didn't have the $30 million attached to Wiggins coming the other way, it's a different story. But with Wiggins and his bad contract, it's just not worth it to me.

Whether it's the 1, 2, 4, or 7 pick doesn't make a difference. That's not the point.

I'd rather move/trade assests for next year or future draft class. I'm sure many prospects will surprise and some may even become all stars. But IMO 2020 draft class isn't it. Lets bank on the future.
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#115 » by pr0gr4m » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:40 am

What about free agency and the MLE we have. I see us having some space after we re-sign or let go of Gasol, Ibaka, and FVV.

Any opinions on a FVV sign and trade for Oladipo? It's a low risk move that could pay off. I don't see long term success with FVV due to his size limitation. Unfortunately for us his value is high and we will be expected to pay about 25M/year.

Furthermore I would look at a veteran title chaser. A few names I like are Paul Millsap, Danilo Gallinari, Derrick Favors, Myers Leonard, and Bruno Caboclo.

Gallinari would be my first target. I am enamoured with players who are 6'10+ and can shoot the way he can. An extreme opinion I hold is, if Gallinari was load managed for the playoffs I can see him having a poor Kevin Durant type of impact on a series. He has elite shooting, ball handling, size, and clutch play. I would very easily throw the entire MLE at him to be a sixth man on next years squad.

Millsap is going to be 35 but the MLE would be fair for an older guy. One last significant title run as a rotational player. In the new age NBA I would experiement with him at the 5 behind Marc.

Favors hasn't been given appropriate opportunity thus far in his career. I would like to see him in a new veteran led environment and try to pass Marc's role off to him, as we shift to the new era.

Leonard has an impressive combination of size and shooting that would be used well off the bench in compliment to Siakam's transition and penetrating game.

Bruno still has an impressive combination of size and shooting. The organization should have always tried to develop him as a 5. I think he could really thrive as a 5 in this league. He is slow due to his unique body type compared to other SFs, but faster than most 5s in the league. He is stronger than he looks and could bang with thicker 5s down low. He's always been a decent rim protector, shooter, and could fit into the transition offense our guys love. I forecast a few haters on this point, let's just put it this way. I rather him than Stanley Johnson.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,245

Post#116 » by Raptorfan2012 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:27 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:What about free agency and the MLE we have. I see us having some space after we re-sign or let go of Gasol, Ibaka, and FVV.

Any opinions on a FVV sign and trade for Oladipo? It's a low risk move that could pay off. I don't see long term success with FVV due to his size limitation. Unfortunately for us his value is high and we will be expected to pay about 25M/year.

Furthermore I would look at a veteran title chaser. A few names I like are Paul Millsap, Danilo Gallinari, Derrick Favors, Myers Leonard, and Bruno Caboclo.

Gallinari would be my first target. I am enamoured with players who are 6'10+ and can shoot the way he can. An extreme opinion I hold is, if Gallinari was load managed for the playoffs I can see him having a poor Kevin Durant type of impact on a series. He has elite shooting, ball handling, size, and clutch play. I would very easily throw the entire MLE at him to be a sixth man on next years squad.

Millsap is going to be 35 but the MLE would be fair for an older guy. One last significant title run as a rotational player. In the new age NBA I would experiement with him at the 5 behind Marc.

Favors hasn't been given appropriate opportunity thus far in his career. I would like to see him in a new veteran led environment and try to pass Marc's role off to him, as we shift to the new era.

Leonard has an impressive combination of size and shooting that would be used well off the bench in compliment to Siakam's transition and penetrating game.

Bruno still has an impressive combination of size and shooting. The organization should have always tried to develop him as a 5. I think he could really thrive as a 5 in this league. He is slow due to his unique body type compared to other SFs, but faster than most 5s in the league. He is stronger than he looks and could bang with thicker 5s down low. He's always been a decent rim protector, shooter, and could fit into the transition offense our guys love. I forecast a few haters on this point, let's just put it this way. I rather him than Stanley Johnson.

I like the idea of bringing back Bruno as a back up C, especially if Chris Boucher gets paid elsewhere.

I think if we go for Gallinari, we may have to kiss our changes at getting Giannis goodbye (unless Masai can orchestrate a trade next summer to free up cap room). I am okay with picking up DG though and have him play forward with Pascal and see where that goes.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#117 » by casual_raps_fan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:36 am

pr0gr4m wrote:What about free agency and the MLE we have. I see us having some space after we re-sign or let go of Gasol, Ibaka, and FVV.

I like the forward thinking.

Regarding Gallinari: I like him and I agree with your assessment. He's been underrated for awhile but his scoring is really good and brings offensive value on the ball or off the ball. If a healthy Gallinari was on our team this year, I'd be comfortable putting us as the favourites to the finals in the East (and then losing to one of the LA teams).... that being said, by signing him to a multiyear deal, we basically lose all our flexibility moving forward. If we can grab him to a one year deal or a discounted deal, I'd be all over that though. I really doubt that would happen.

Regarding Fred-Oladipo trade: Why would the Pacers do that? Are they unhappy with him? I thought he was their guy. The Raptors would definitely be interested. They'd get more size and scoring without losing much else.

Regarding Favors: I'm interested. I've always felt that he's been miscast and there may be some untapped potential there (he obviously needs to play at center with 4 shooters around him). He's also younger than Ibaka at 28 years old which is nice as well. If Ibaka or Gasol are not willing to take a discounted multi year deal or a 1 year deal, Favors would be a great choice (assuming he could be signed for a MLE type of deal).
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect

Post#118 » by casual_raps_fan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:28 am

Psubs wrote:If we draft a small (SF) at #28, do you think Chicago would trade Cristiano Felicio for Patrick McCaw, Stanley Johnson (to be waived) and cash?

PG Lowry - FVV - TD
SG FVV - Powell - TD - Thomas
SF OG - Powell - #28
PF Siakam - OG - Boucher - #58
C Gasol/Ibaka - Felicio - Hernandez?

No. I know everybody hates McCaw but he is more useful than Felicio.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect

Post#119 » by casual_raps_fan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:36 am

Saul Goodman wrote:If Ibaka is dead set on a long term final cash in deal in free agency (he would be wise too) we should sign and trade him to get some value. He would be perfect for the Warriors.

Ibaka. 4 years 50 mill

for

Looney
Poole
Smailgiac
Bender
2021 lotto protected 1st

Resign Gasol to a 1 year 20 mill deal.

Resign RHJ to a 1 year 11 mill deal

resign FVV to a 4 year 80 mill

Lowry/Davis
Vanvleet/Powell/Poole
OG/RHJ/Bender
Siakam/Boucher/2020 1st
Gasol/Looney

Still deep as hell, financially flexible with a decent crop of interesting 905 guys to have a look at

Wouldn't we just keep Ibaka if it's 4 years 50 million? That sounds solid for him.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect

Post#120 » by casual_raps_fan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:00 am

JShuttlesworth wrote:

Ideally I'd try and get Serge on a 1+1 type of contract. It gives us more cap flexibility and makes him easier to trade in the event we need to shed salary. I want to keep Serge on this roster for sure though.

Retaining all three of Fred / Ibaka / Gasol is going to be difficult unless the MLSE is willing to pay up. Fred will likely be top priority. Let's say he get's $17 million per season (he's likely going to ask for more than that). Let's say you also give Ibaka $17 million per season. That puts us as at $120 million without factoring in any Gasol contract -- I think you try for MLE on Gasol.

Who's more important a 34 year old Marc Gasol or a 30 year old Serge Ibaka? How high into the tax is the MLSE willing to go?

Short term and even long term, I think Gasol has more value. The thing that Gasol brings to the table has more value and is harder to replace than what Ibaka brings to the table. I know Gasol's had some injury problems so we would have to carefully manage his minutes but the same could be said for Ibaka. He's a bit small for a center and we have to limit his minutes to keep him effective.

In the end, it will come down to who is willing to take the team friendly deal. Hopefully both of them.

Edit: If they both return, I am thinking the most likely scenario is Gasol 3 year MLE and Ibaka 1 year contract (maybe around 20 million).

Return to Toronto Raptors