ImageImageImageImageImage

2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#1201 » by Zeno » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:00 pm

If the Raptors just let time elapse on their pick twice, can they move down two spots, pick who they want and then use the MLE to sign that player to a three year minimum deal because they’re a 2nd rounder? I know that sounds silly but it would open up an additional 1 million in capspace next year. The 2nd and 3rd years could also be non-guaranteed so the flexibility would exist to open up even more.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,324

Post#1202 » by douggood » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:29 pm

Zeno wrote:If the Raptors just let time elapse on their pick twice, can they move down two spots, pick who they want and then use the MLE to sign that player to a three year minimum deal because they’re a 2nd rounder? I know that sounds silly but it would open up an additional 1 million in capspace next year. The 2nd and 3rd years could also be non-guaranteed so the flexibility would exist to open up even more.

it is silly, high 2nd round picks dont agree to minimum deals, they get slightly less than pick before. there isnt going to a big drop from pick 29th to pick 31 in terms of salary. that is unless you pick someone projected to go late 50th and pick him 31st.
now that is just waste of a pick.
Zeno
RealGM

Post#1203 » by Zeno » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:38 pm

douggood wrote:
Zeno wrote:If the Raptors just let time elapse on their pick twice, can they move down two spots, pick who they want and then use the MLE to sign that player to a three year minimum deal because they’re a 2nd rounder? I know that sounds silly but it would open up an additional 1 million in capspace next year. The 2nd and 3rd years could also be non-guaranteed so the flexibility would exist to open up even more.

it is silly, high 2nd round picks dont agree to minimum deals, they get slightly less than pick before. there isnt going to a big drop from pick 29th to pick 31 in terms of salary. that is unless you pick someone projected to go late 50th and pick him 31st.

Okay, so you pay them the expected amount for the 31st and make the 2nd and 3rd year non-guaranteed just to keep flexibility. It goes without saying that you don’t do this at 29 if you think the player you want would be chosen by number 31. So it follows that you’d have to feel that the player is likely to be projected by most teams as back half of the 2nd round.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Zeno
RealGM

Post#1204 » by Zeno » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:54 pm

Zeno wrote:
douggood wrote:

Okay, so you pay them the expected amount for the 31st and make the 2nd and 3rd year non-guaranteed just to keep flexibility. It goes without saying that you don’t do this at 29 if you think the player you want would be chosen by number 31. So it follows that you’d have to feel that the player is likely to be projected by most teams as back half of the 2nd round.

Never mind, according to Blake Murphy, the NBA fines you and possibly strips you of the pick if you do this unlike the NFL.

Please advise….

Dan G.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#1205 » by dalton749 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:23 pm

Lowry isn’t going to make sense for giannis window and we might not get basketball in Toronto next year so I would be looking to move on from him this offseason.

Send him home to philly in a 3 way trade:

Lowry to philly
Oladipo and horford to Toronto
Powell, mccaw, thybulle, #21 to Indiana

Resign Fred for around 4/80 with the starting role secured for him and bring back ibaka on a 1 year overpay or multi year around 15 mil per.

We go into next year with
Fvv/TD
Oladipo/Thomas
OG/Watson
Siakam
Horford/ibaka

This way we put up a legitimate effort to win next year and have a very intriguing roster for Giannis to want to join. If he agrees, we make the necessary moves to clear space and if he doesn’t then we are still in a good position. If Milwaukee is going to lose then I’m sure they would agree to a sign and trade for one of our guys (fvv+ibaka=35 mil or horford and a bunch of picks). Alternatively, there is a ton of teams with cap space available next year who would be happy to take on some talent for cheap after they strike out in free agency.

I just hate the idea of going all in on a maybe because if it fails, we are in a much worse position moving forward.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,415

Post#1206 » by Rapsfan07 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:43 pm

SurgeIblocka wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
I had to remove 3 and 4 because they're not possible since FA is after the draft.

That's true they do have the cap flexibility to sign FVV. But maybe they try to get some value out of their expirings.

No need for the Pacers to give all these young guys and picks.

S&T FVV for Holiday straight up.

Holiday is has a player option for next summer, which is very likely to exercise in order to secure his last big long term deal. He's 30, plays elite defense, shoots, drives, passes and rebounds.

This deal makes sense for the Pelicans because this upcoming season is his last guaranteed season which means they can lose him for nothing if they don't deal him. This is also a chance for them to get younger and add a PG for the future of their young core.

For us, we add a mature seasoned all-star while still maintaining some flexibility to get Giannis

And what if he picks up that player option because the cap has gone down and revenue looks weak because of Covid for the league. I don’t see any player unless they are top 20 players in the league, who will give up a large salary to hit a market when teams start spending less. Also why do we want to have no point guards the following year with Holiday and Lowry expiring leaving us with nothing. Lowry could easily go play for Philly or another contender and Holiday could leave. Holiday is not better than Fred . I would not do this deal

FVV is the better shooter - both from range and the line. Holiday is better at pretty much everything else. He's also bigger.

Secondly, you're wrong. Holiday will more than likely opt out.

COVID or no COVID, his contract is coming to an end with a player option for 21/22. Jrue has nothing to gain and everything to lose by picking up that option. Even if teams are spending less, he's only slated to making $27M that year. Why would he do that instead of hitting free agency and signing his last long term deal? Even if teams are spending less and Holiday is worth $15M per in the new NBA COVID economy (I don't see that being the case but lets go with it), he still has more money AND long term security to gain by signing a new deal. It just isn't worth for him to opt into a $27M/year PO and risk injury at worst or hit free agency a year older at best. Makes no sense from a financial point of view for him.

Add to that, like you said, Lowry will be expiring and we'll need someone else to hand the keys to. It would make no sense for him to leave the Raptors.

So the question becomes - if you're going to pay Holiday or Vanvleet $20-25M over the next 3-4 years, who do you want to pay?
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#1207 » by Red_Claw » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:13 pm

dalton749 wrote:Lowry isn’t going to make sense for giannis window and we might not get basketball in Toronto next year so I would be looking to move on from him this offseason.

Lowry to philly

Resign Fred for around 4/80 with the starting role secured for him and bring back ibaka on a 1 year overpay or multi year around 15 mil per.

Fvv/TD
Oladipo/Thomas
OG/Watson
Siakam
Horford/ibaka

This way we put up a legitimate effort to win next year and have a very intriguing roster for Giannis to want to join. If he agrees, we make the necessary moves to clear space and if he doesn’t then we are still in a good position. If Milwaukee is going to lose then I’m sure they would agree to a sign and trade for one of our guys (fvv+ibaka=35 mil or horford and a bunch of picks). Alternatively, there is a ton of teams with cap space available next year who would be happy to take on some talent for cheap after they strike out in free agency.

I just hate the idea of going all in on a maybe because if it fails, we are in a much worse position moving forward.

Not gonna sugar coat it. This is awful for the current team and future.

First, Horford is top 3-5 most poisonous contracts in the league AND he's 35 next year...with 3 years left.

Second, Ibaka ain't resigning to be a backup. Most teams in the NBA would love to have him start and they can pay him more. The only way he stays is to start.

Third, salary wise, we aren't signing a big name for awhile.

Horford - 27 mil
Fred - 20 mil
Siakam - 31 mil
OG - At least 15 mil
TD - Let him walk?!
-------------------
Thats 93 mil there with a good chance the cap goes down but lets assume its the same at 115 Mil. That leaves 22 mil to make a signing. (the details maybe off but none the less, you still have a full roster to fill!!! And those numbers don't count some of the smaller contracts/draft picks.

If you want to ruin a franchise, you definitely know how to do it.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,154

Post#1208 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:18 pm

dalton749 wrote:Lowry isn’t going to make sense for giannis window and we might not get basketball in Toronto next year so I would be looking to move on from him this offseason.

Lowry to philly

Fvv/TD
Oladipo/Thomas
OG/Watson
Siakam
Horford/ibaka

I don't know if we could ever clear enough cap space. Horford is $27M going going into 2022. which team is going to give us an expiring next year for the sake of helping the Raptors. Oladipo has a huge caphold as well. I think the draw is to have Oladipo pitch to Giannis. and that means he comes over for Oladipo and Siakam. Its either one or the other. can't have Oladipo or FVV. at this stage of the game.

At this stage, keep Lowry and his expiring if we're keeping FVV (or trading FVV and getting Oladipo)

if you clear Oladipo and Lowry and Norm (doesn't exercise player option), we have space for two max contracts I believe.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
dalton749
Lead Assistant

Post#1209 » by dalton749 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:42 pm

Red_Claw wrote:

Lowry to philly

Fvv/TD
Oladipo/Thomas
OG/Watson
Siakam
Horford/ibaka

First, Horford is top 3-5 most poisonous contracts in the league AND he's 35 next year...with 3 years left.

Second, Ibaka ain't resigning to be a backup. Most teams in the NBA would love to have him start and they can pay him more. The only way he stays is to start.

Horford - 27 mil
Fred - 20 mil
Siakam - 31 mil
OG - At least 15 mil
TD - Let him walk?!
-------------------
Thats 93 mil there with a good chance the cap goes down but lets assume its the same at 115 Mil. That leaves 22 mil to make a signing. (the details maybe off but none the less, you still have a full roster to fill!!! And those numbers don't count some of the smaller contracts/draft picks.

Horford is still a top 10 center in this league. He’s like the Lowry of centers. No, his deal isn’t great but I have no problem paying him that money next season to the starting 5 of this team because they are still going to win 50+ games and make the second round. His 2019 season was almost identical to what Bam provided this year and he didn’t drop off that much, he just went to an awful situation.

Ibaka isn’t going to have many suitors this offseason that can/will offer more money unless he wants to go play for a bad team. I highly doubt he would leave to go to a lottery team when he has shown no indication that he is unhappy in his current role.

Yes, we will be definitely end up as a tax team by doing this but that should t be an issue for Rogers/bell to pay up when they are in an industry that has profited off of covid. It also seems inevitable that another amnesty is around the corner if the cap drops significantly which you can use on horford if needed. If Giannis wants to come, we can find a way to open up space or get a sign and trade done. There will be a solid 10 teams with space to absorb contracts and Milwaukee would be happy to take some talent back for him rather then be left empty handed. We can also trade away whatever picks and young guys require to get it done because we would be going all in for a championship.

Who cares about the rest of the bench, just get a legit 5/6 guys and the back end of the roster can be filled in for vet mins and buyouts that want to win a ring.

I’d much rather be left with that lineup then strike out on a free agent and be left to rebuild. We’re going to be competing with some very good teams for Giannis, we need to be realistic.
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#1210 » by Red_Claw » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:57 pm

dalton749 wrote:
Red_Claw wrote:

Lowry to philly

Fvv/TD
Oladipo/Thomas
OG/Watson
Siakam
Horford/ibaka

Horford - 27 mil
Fred - 20 mil
Siakam - 31 mil
OG - At least 15 mil
TD - Let him walk?!
-------------------

Horford is still a top 10 center in this league. He’s like the Lowry of centers. No, his deal isn’t great but I have no problem paying him that money next season to the starting 5 of this team because they are still going to win 50+ games and make the second round. His 2019 season was almost identical to what Bam provided this year and he didn’t drop off that much, he just went to an awful situation.

Ibaka isn’t going to have many suitors this offseason that can/will offer more money unless he wants to go play for a bad team. I highly doubt he would leave to go to a lottery team when he has shown no indication that he is unhappy in his current role.

Yes, we will be definitely end up as a tax team by doing this but that should t be an issue for Rogers/bell to pay up when they are in an industry that has profited off of covid. It also seems inevitable that another amnesty is around the corner if the cap drops significantly which you can use on horford if needed. If Giannis wants to come, we can find a way to open up space or get a sign and trade done. There will be a solid 10 teams with space to absorb contracts and Milwaukee would be happy to take some talent back for him rather then be left empty handed. We can also trade away whatever picks and young guys require to get it done because we would be going all in for a championship.

Who cares about the rest of the bench, just get a legit 5/6 guys and the back end of the roster can be filled in for vet mins and buyouts that want to win a ring.

I’d much rather be left with that lineup then strike out on a free agent and be left to rebuild. We’re going to be competing with some very good teams for Giannis, we need to be realistic.

You lost me at: "Horford is still a top 10 center in this league."
dalton749
Lead Assistant

Post#1211 » by dalton749 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:15 pm

Red_Claw wrote:
dalton749 wrote:
Red_Claw wrote:

Horford - 27 mil
Fred - 20 mil
Siakam - 31 mil
OG - At least 15 mil
TD - Let him walk?!
-------------------

You lost me at: "Horford is still a top 10 center in this league."

Guys I would clearly take over horford if I’m trying to win a championship:

Jokic
Embiid
Towns
Gobert
Adebayo
Nurkic
AD (if you want to count him as a center)

That’s 7. If you need more offense then you could argue for the following though I would much rather have mobility, playmaking and defense:
Vucevic
Sabonis
Aldridge

That’s 10 and I don’t think anyone else has an argument. He’s still better than ibaka, Turner, Jv, Drummond, love, Lopez, Adams, capela etc but I’d love to hear your reasoning otherwise.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#1212 » by fbalmeida » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:50 pm

Any deal that lands you, say, + 12 M in active roster salary for 2021, precludes any possibility of having cap space for a shot at Giannis.

The exquisite concept of trading Lowry for Horford has me shaking my head and reaching for a chalice of port wine.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,415

Post#1213 » by Rapsfan07 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:35 pm

Lowry to philly

Fvv/TD
Oladipo/Thomas
OG/Watson
Siakam
Horford/ibaka

I don't want Horford unless he's coming with a top 5 pick.

And as for a C, I would really like to add Myles Turner. Indiana will definitely be moving on from one or both of Turner and Dipo and I want to be the team that gets them.

I think Lowry to Philly is a good start but I don't see the Sixers moving Thybulle. Still, if they're moving Horford to make space for Lowry (the only big salary of theirs that is actually moveable), they'll need to add some kind of incentive for someone to take him.
dalton749
Lead Assistant

Post#1214 » by dalton749 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:37 pm

fbalmeida wrote:Any deal that lands you, say, + 12 M in active roster salary for 2021, precludes any possibility of having cap space for a shot at Giannis.

The exquisite concept of trading Lowry for Horford has me shaking my head and reaching for a chalice of port wine.

Horford was his regular 15/7/5 and elite defense self in 21 games that embiid was out. It’s clear he is still a very solid player in a bad situation. I would expect us raptors fans to understand a guys value outside of the box score better than anyone considering that we have been defending Lowry’s ability for years and just had Marc gasol in a key role providing nothing in the box score. He is a clear upgrade at a position of need.

In recent years we’ve seen Durant move to Brooklyn in a sign and trade and kemba move to Boston in one as well. That route is much more likely than just absorbing Giannis and having limited talent around him because we didn’t fill in the roster. We are in a much better position to contend if we are well above the cap, not just trying to slide in under it. We would have plenty of different packages to offer Milwaukee As well ie:
Horford + young guys and a couple picks
Fred + Ibaka or OG
Pascal
Double sign & trade with Oladipo

I’m sure Lowry could be talked into coming back the following year if he doesn’t want to stay in philly as well.
Zeno
RealGM

Post#1215 » by Zeno » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:53 pm

If Fred leaves, what about Schroder and 25 for Norm and 29. This is taking on extra 4-5 million this season, but Schroder(15.5 million is expiring. If Fred stays you could flip Schroder for Fournier who is making 17 million. Or you could keep Schroder either way and load manage Lowry. Though having all 3 means a crazy amount of 2 pg lineups.

Please advise….

Dan G.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#1216 » by fbalmeida » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:02 pm

dalton749 wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:Any deal that lands you, say, + 12 M in active roster salary for 2021, precludes any possibility of having cap space for a shot at Giannis.

Horford was his regular 15/7/5 and elite defense self in 21 games that embiid was out. It’s clear he is still a very solid player in a bad situation. I would expect us raptors fans to understand a guys value outside of the box score better than anyone considering that we have been defending Lowry’s ability for years and just had Marc gasol in a key role providing nothing in the box score. He is a clear upgrade at a position of need.

In recent years we’ve seen Durant move to Brooklyn in a sign and trade and kemba move to Boston in one as well. That route is much more likely than just absorbing Giannis and having limited talent around him because we didn’t fill in the roster. We are in a much better position to contend if we are well above the cap, not just trying to slide in under it. We would have plenty of different packages to offer Milwaukee As well ie:
Fred + Ibaka or OG
Pascal

I’m sure Lowry could be talked into coming back the following year if he doesn’t want to stay in philly as well.

Giannis. Is. Never. Leaving. Milwaukee. Via. Trade.

They have a shot at a title with him there. Trading him means giving up a title run. That's simply never going to happen, barring some mid-season team meltdown.

We're going to need that cap space and Lowry's expiring contract.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
dalton749
Lead Assistant

Post#1217 » by dalton749 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:16 pm

fbalmeida wrote:
dalton749 wrote:

Fred + Ibaka or OG
Pascal

They have a shot at a title with him there. Trading him means giving up a title run. That's simply never going to happen, barring some mid-season team meltdown.

A sign and trade and trade are two very different things. He will be a free agent and I would put money on if Giannis leaves Milwaukee next year it will be by sign and trade, not by signing outright with a new team.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#1218 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:37 pm

dalton749 wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:
dalton749 wrote:

Fred + Ibaka or OG
Pascal

A sign and trade and trade are two very different things. He will be a free agent and I would put money on if Giannis leaves Milwaukee next year it will be by sign and trade, not by signing outright with a new team.

why not? Miami can just sign him outright and Miami would be better team for it. Riley would just say, are you going to take the money and deplete the team or just sign out right and you have all the best type of players surrounding you.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
dalton749
Lead Assistant

Post#1219 » by dalton749 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:00 am

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
dalton749 wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:

why not? Miami can just sign him outright and Miami would be better team for it. Riley would just say, are you going to take the money and deplete the team or just sign out right and you have all the best type of players surrounding you.

Playing alongside butler and bam who can’t shoot the ball doesn’t seem like the best option for a guy who also can’t shoot. Plus we don’t even know what their roster will look like that, they have cap space now and holes to fill.

Our draw will need to be the masai connection, a huge Greek population in Toronto and a roster full of talent that fits his game and timeline. Right now we don’t really have that when our best player will be 35 and expiring, plus there’s a capable replacement on the roster. I’d much rather get something out of Lowry than watch him break down and provide nothing for our future. Having someone on the roster that needs moved to make it work is a better draw than having nothing and having to fill in the blanks with who knows what because there is already a foundation in place that he could easily envision fitting in to.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM

Post#1220 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:09 am

dalton749 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
dalton749 wrote:

Playing alongside butler and bam who can’t shoot the ball doesn’t seem like the best option for a guy who also can’t shoot. Plus we don’t even know what their roster will look like that, they have cap space now and holes to fill.

Our draw will need to be the masai connection, a huge Greek population in Toronto and a roster full of talent that fits his game and timeline. Right now we don’t really have that when our best player will be 35 and expiring, plus there’s a capable replacement on the roster. I’d much rather get something out of Lowry than watch him break down and provide nothing for our future. Having someone on the roster that needs moved to make it work is a better draw than having nothing and having to fill in the blanks with who knows what because there is already a foundation in place that he could easily envision fitting in to.

they have Herro and Robinson

Return to Toronto Raptors