ImageImageImageImageImage

2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,877

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#1321 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:40 am

I firmly believe Norm will be retained and they will let him just void his option. That means one thing a big free agency showcase season for Norm. Norm is only opting in if he suffers a significant injury... This all assumes Fred comes back at 20+. Losing Lowry sometime in 2021 is far more likely than losing Fred IMH opinion.
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#1322 » by pr0gr4m » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:04 am

I want to tank next season. Based on what I've seen on the trade board of somewhat acceptable trades I would do the following:

MKE: Fred VanVleet ($18M starting)
TOR: Brook Lopez, DJ Wilson, Alen Smailagić, MKE '24 1st, GSW '21 1st, IND '22 2nd, IND '25 2nd
GSW: Robin Lopez

Lowry for Hayward, 26, 30

Davis for Maledon.

I would bring back Gasol.

Sign Kris Dunn for 1 year deal and opportunity as starting PG (really tank commander).

Draft:
26 Woodard (Gleague dev. for sophomore year rotation role)
29 Zeke Nnaji (Gleague dev. for range and learn under Gasol)
30 Tyler Bey (immediate rotational player)
59 Winston (immediate back up PG)

Lopez/Nnaji/Gasol
Siakam/Bey/Wilson/Smailagić
Hayward/OG/Watson/Woodard
Powell/Maledon/Thomas
Dunn/Winston

I woud tank hard for Cunningham. Then Lopez, Dunn, Hayward will come off the Books. Powell could be rerouted halfway through the season for a stronger tank commander and for 2022 1st rounder and expirings. The bench gets experience in the Gleague.

Go after Oladipo and/or Giannis. Promote best prospects to rotational roles. Develop other prospects. Bring back Hayward as cheap back up vet scorer with young bench.

Giannis/Nnaji
Siakam/Bey/Smailagić
OG/Hayward/Woodard
Oladipo/Cunningham/Thomas
Maledon/Winston

The goal is for prospect growth raising the values of Oladipo, Siakam, and OG then trading them with the MIL 2024 1st, 2022 1st from Powell trade, RAP 2022 1st for another top 10 player to put next to Giannis. Developing an elite prospect like Cunningham over 4 years would mean increased PO run strength every year.

Additional 2022 1st, 2nd, 2024 1st, along with Raptor picks would be added over the next few years to the development 905 team for continuity and internal growth, also continuing the team slogan of next man up.
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#1323 » by nabbs » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:14 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
nabbs wrote:TD is likely a goner. Our guard rotation assuming Fred is back:

Lowry/Mccaw
Fred/Norm/Thomas

Real small, thin and lacking of secondary creation outside of Fred. It has to be addressed

Unless we're signing FVV for under 20mil AAV, we'll have to ship out Norm if we want to maintain a max slot for next summer. We either trade Norm now or during the season.

So really... we're just looking at:
Lowry/McCaw
Fred/Thomas

That backcourt depth is painful to look at. Masai will most definitely be addressing that.

Norm is gone by the deadline regardless.

The scenario I could see is using Norm and our pick to trade up if we absolutely love a guy but I think you are better off acquiring a second and an expiring for Norm. I'd really explore that.

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
lorax
Sixth Man
And1: 220

Post#1324 » by lorax » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:09 pm

Norm for Trevor Ariza, switch of picks?
JYD wrote:Could someone summarize the nothingness please?
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#1325 » by Psubs » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:23 pm

Tristan Thompson take the MLE for 4 years? 10-10-12-12
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,823

Post#1326 » by LoveMyRaps » Sun Nov 1, 2020 7:25 am

Psubs wrote:Tristan Thompson take the MLE for 4 years? 10-10-12-12

I'd love that.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,496

Post#1327 » by bboyskinnylegs » Sun Nov 1, 2020 12:46 pm

a reasonable deal, though I'm sure he and his representation at Klutch will be aiming for higher
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,355

Post#1328 » by JRoy » Sun Nov 1, 2020 2:58 pm

lorax wrote:Norm for Trevor Ariza, switch of picks?

Hard pass from POR.

POR needs size on the wing to defend the big wings in the west and a 6’3” backup sg is not going to get it done for us.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,434

Post#1329 » by Morse Code » Sun Nov 1, 2020 7:49 pm

JRoy wrote:
lorax wrote:Norm for Trevor Ariza, switch of picks?

Hard pass from POR.

POR needs size on the wing to defend the big wings in the west and a 6’3” backup sg is not going to get it done for us.

:lol:
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#1330 » by Psubs » Sun Nov 1, 2020 8:25 pm

bboyskinnylegs wrote:

a reasonable deal, though I'm sure he and his representation at Klutch will be aiming for higher

He can go to Detroit or NY for that.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#1331 » by dalton749 » Sun Nov 1, 2020 8:29 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:If Lowry leaves in 2021 there is zero pressure to deal Norm. Talking Lowry leaving is sacrilidge but... Going to Philly or Miami would return assets.

I have very little faith in Lowry going out gracefully. I think his last year or two is going to be a struggle to stay on the floor with back and other injury issues. That very well may come this upcoming season. This seems like the perfect time to ship him off to a contender of his choice and get some value back to keep things moving in the right direction in the future.
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#1332 » by Red_Claw » Sun Nov 1, 2020 8:48 pm

Psubs wrote:
bboyskinnylegs wrote:

He can go to Detroit or NY for that.

Why would he?
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,325

Post#1333 » by douggood » Sun Nov 1, 2020 9:22 pm

dalton749 wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:If Lowry leaves in 2021 there is zero pressure to deal Norm. Talking Lowry leaving is sacrilidge but... Going to Philly or Miami would return assets.

I have very little faith in Lowry going out gracefully. I think his last year or two is going to be a struggle to stay on the floor with back and other injury issues. That very well may come this upcoming season. This seems like the perfect time to ship him off to a contender of his choice and get some value back to keep things moving in the right direction in the future.

especially looks like raptors wont be playing in toronto, the backlash of trading kyle is going to be lessened with no fans attending games.

if there ever was a season to take a step back and retool this might be it from a marketing/business perspective. shortened season, not playing in toronto.
Lukeem
Analyst
And1: 2,577

Post#1334 » by Lukeem » Sun Nov 1, 2020 10:30 pm

If magic move Gordon I wonder if we could grab him for a package around

Powell
Davis
McCaw

Anunoby/ FA (gasol, Ibaka, wood, giles...) Boucher
Siakim/ Boucher
Gordon/ Anunoby/ Watson / brissette
Fvv/ thomas / Watson
Lowry/ fvv/ rookie(s)

Defensive potential of that front court I really like. Also doubt many/ any teams can adequately guard all five players without giving up significanT mismatches
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant

Post#1335 » by Red_Claw » Sun Nov 1, 2020 11:46 pm

Lukeem wrote:If magic move Gordon I wonder if we could grab him for a package around

Powell
Davis
McCaw

Siakim/ Boucher
Fvv/ thomas / Watson
Lowry/ fvv/ rookie(s)

Defensive potential of that front court I really like. Also doubt many/ any teams can adequately guard all five players without giving up significanT mismatches

OG at center or off the bench are terrible ideas. OG should be our starting SF for the foreseeable future.

Also, Gordon is not a SF. He's been playing out of position since they signed Serge. Our PG/SG/C positions need upgrades before our SF/PF positions do.
Lukeem
Analyst

Post#1336 » by Lukeem » Mon Nov 2, 2020 1:05 am

Red_Claw wrote:
Lukeem wrote:If magic move Gordon I wonder if we could grab him for a package around

Powell
Davis
McCaw

Siakim/ Boucher
Fvv/ thomas / Watson
Lowry/ fvv/ rookie(s)

OG at center or off the bench are terrible ideas. OG should be our starting SF for the foreseeable future.

Also, Gordon is not a SF. He's been playing out of position since they signed Serge. Our PG/SG/C positions need upgrades before our SF/PF positions do.

OG, Siakim and Gordon could all guard most 3-5s pretty easily. Why do you think OG playing mins at C is a bad idea?
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant

Post#1337 » by Red_Claw » Mon Nov 2, 2020 2:41 am

Lukeem wrote:
Red_Claw wrote:

Powell
Davis
McCaw

Siakim/ Boucher
Fvv/ thomas / Watson
Lowry/ fvv/ rookie(s)

OG, Siakim and Gordon could all guard most 3-5s pretty easily. Why do you think OG playing mins at C is a bad idea?

This is the small ball argument all over again. 2 pg line up works really well in some scenarios but not all of them. OG did well at center during the playoffs but that was a certain scenario when the other team had gone small but that doesn't mean to make it your identify. if we play small for a full season, those guys will get beat up doing the dirty work. Also, the way small ball works the best is by taking and making alot of 3s and i don't have faith to lean on Pascal and Gordon and Fred at time for that matter to do that.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,877

Post#1338 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Nov 2, 2020 3:26 am

douggood wrote:
dalton749 wrote:

especially looks like raptors wont be playing in toronto, the backlash of trading kyle is going to be lessened with no fans attending games.

if there ever was a season to take a step back and retool this might be it from a marketing/business perspective. shortened season, not playing in toronto.

"Less than a day after Goran Dragic signed a contract with the Suns, the Houston Rockets traded away Kyle Lowry for no more than a protected first-round pick." and Gary Forbes.

Well how did that work out Raptors fans???? Lets say they play at Prudential Center in Newark. Turnpike willing Lowry is an hour and a bit from his Philly home in the last year of his contract. That sounds to me a lot like home is beckoning especially for family and kids. Morey was the GM of Houston when he received Canadian Tire money for Lowry in 2012. Would Morey cough up the (on further review) not so great contract of Horford, 27 year old Josh Richardson and the 24 and 34 selections to make a splash? You gotta like the story line if nothing else. Lowry would change Philly's dynamic the moment he arrives. Ben Simmons could move to shooting guard to go along with their other 10 shooting guards who are not 6 foot 10. Raps could sign a depth big like Will Hernangomez which would not break the bank. One thing we know Houston is not sending Harden to Philly... It drops us to 5 or 6 seed but we are not dishing out minutes to aging players two of which previously were pulling in a combined 50 mil plus. We likely get torched in the playoffs in another fake season but we have a whole new retool dynamic with considerably more upside. If Lowry is our best pitch to get Giannis we better drink a strong coffee or two. Lowry has gone back home if we play in NJ. Might as well make it official.
Lukeem
Analyst

Post#1339 » by Lukeem » Mon Nov 2, 2020 3:50 am

Red_Claw wrote:
Lukeem wrote:
Red_Claw wrote:

This is the small ball argument all over again. 2 pg line up works really well in some scenarios but not all of them. OG did well at center during the playoffs but that was a certain scenario when the other team had gone small but that doesn't mean to make it your identify. if we play small for a full season, those guys will get beat up doing the dirty work. Also, the way small ball works the best is by taking and making alot of 3s and i don't have faith to lean on Pascal and Gordon and Fred at time for that matter to do that.

I listed quit a few other potential centers there to sign. Especially with OG being able to play SG easily imo alongside fvv or Lowry. It’s not like we would rely on it solely. But I do think that’s the kind of dynamic defensive lineup that allows us to force more turnovers without losing much inside. I think the ball handling is Siakim, improvements of OG and how Gordon has been leaned on at times - we are able to get a lot more penetration exploiting other bigs with this line that we do not rely solely on the 3. Gordon is the worst shooter of that entire line and I don’t think he’s hopeless.
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,254

Post#1340 » by SurgeIblocka » Mon Nov 2, 2020 4:28 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
douggood wrote:
dalton749 wrote:

"Less than a day after Goran Dragic signed a contract with the Suns, the Houston Rockets traded away Kyle Lowry for no more than a protected first-round pick." and Gary Forbes.

Well how did that work out Raptors fans???? Lets say they play at Prudential Center in Newark. Turnpike willing Lowry is an hour and a bit from his Philly home in the last year of his contract. That sounds to me a lot like home is beckoning especially for family and kids. Morey was the GM of Houston when he received Canadian Tire money for Lowry in 2012. Would Morey cough up the (on further review) not so great contract of Horford, 27 year old Josh Richardson and the 24 and 34 selections to make a splash? You gotta like the story line if nothing else. Lowry would change Philly's dynamic the moment he arrives. Ben Simmons could move to shooting guard to go along with their other 10 shooting guards who are not 6 foot 10. Raps could sign a depth big like Will Hernangomez which would not break the bank. One thing we know Houston is not sending Harden to Philly... It drops us to 5 or 6 seed but we are not dishing out minutes to aging players two of which previously were pulling in a combined 50 mil plus. We likely get torched in the playoffs in another fake season but we have a whole new retool dynamic with considerably more upside. If Lowry is our best pitch to get Giannis we better drink a strong coffee or two. Lowry has gone back home if we play in NJ. Might as well make it official.

I don’t want Lowry leaving at all, i think the biggest reason Giannis comes here is because of the vet presence and leadership of Lowry, not Fred, OG or Masai ties. If Lowry is not here, i don’t see Giannis coming here at all, book it. Its also why at the end of the season Masai said he sees Lowry giving them another bunch of years of star play and he was gushing with what Lowry did. I don’t see any scenario where he leaves unless he wants to play in Philly. Im sure Lowry can be given a multi year deal to recover what he may lose because of signing Giannis. Without Lowry this team is leaderless, and yes would be no better than the current Bucks team.

Return to Toronto Raptors