ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Game 65 | Los Angeles Lakers (49-14) @ Toronto Raptors (46-18) | August 1st, 8:30 pm | ESPN

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Re: GT: Game 65 | Los Angeles Lakers (49-14) @ Toronto Raptors (46-18) | August 1st, 8:30 pm | ESPN 

Post#301 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:32 pm

Mikistan wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:
Tacoma wrote:
Far for me to support billionaire owners but the sentiment of them putting "poor" players at risk because of greed is wrong. The NBA players’ union approved a restart, so clearly they want money as much as the owners. Like Oladipo, any players can opt out from playing if they so choose. Players are co-conspirators, not pawns.

If keeping players in a safe bubble isn't safe enough for you, then eliminating this risk will require a vaccine which most medical experts say won't come until early-mid 2021. This should write off most/all of next season as well. Don't think it's just this season!

Even then while the vaccine will certainly help minimize risk for the vulnerable it wont to protect anyone from new strains, so there is always risk

Saying that, based on all the data out there is not real any risk for healthy adults with or without a vaccine. That's why the union support a return.

There are report for healthy adults having impact to their sense of smell, tingling, lung capacity and on top of that, reports of people potentially contracting Covid again a second time with even worse impacts the second time.

There is a risk, and saying "there isn't really any risk" is a propaganda type comment.

You are saying there is a risk in a way that makes it seem like there is no risk to make one outcome seem more reasonable and its bull

Also, if this thing was so benign for young and healthy people why have we shut down our national border for the foreseeable future? At least until December and likely longer? This is an unprecedented situation and one can easily see another pandemic, even more serious, could destroy whole economies in a way wars are not even capable of doing. This should be approached like war time with war time financial considerations and risking health for pro sports is just dumb as you cannot compare it to essential work being done to keep food and medicine going. This is fun n games party time when we need partiers not to congregate or worse act like this is something we can battle going rogue.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,391

Re: GT: Game 65 | Los Angeles Lakers (49-14) @ Toronto Raptors (46-18) | August 1st, 8:30 pm | ESPN 

Post#302 » by Mikistan » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:36 pm

People have no patience or foresight - all because they live in the 'yolo' and me-first individualistic society in North America....

The argument of "what are we going to do, keep shutting down for 3 more years" is so bogus.

If you have something that can make me sick and impact my ability to provide for my family or even be healthy in the future with my family -- let alone potentially kill my grandparents/parents or impact my infant's future lung capacity - i am not taking risks.

Yes, shut down for 3 years - clearly the world has shown it can continue to exist and work remotely.

There is no requirement for half the stuff we did before COIVD - the 5 day work week, working 9-5, driving to work etc. they are all nice-to-haves not need-to-haves based on antiquated ways of thinking.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,858

Post#303 » by nikster » Wed Jul 8, 2020 4:41 pm

Mikistan wrote:People have no patience or foresight - all because they live in the 'yolo' and me-first individualistic society in North America....

The argument of "what are we going to do, keep shutting down for 3 more years" is so bogus.

If you have something that can make me sick and impact my ability to provide for my family or even be healthy in the future with my family -- let alone potentially kill my grandparents/parents or impact my infant's future lung capacity - i am not taking risks.

Yes, shut down for 3 years - clearly the world has shown it can continue to exist and work remotely.

There is no requirement for half the stuff we did before COIVD - the 5 day work week, working 9-5, driving to work etc. they are all nice-to-haves not need-to-haves based on antiquated ways of thinking.

I agree with your point overall, but with the US government already ending relief payments I dont know how the average American is gonna continue to get by.
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#304 » by Mikistan » Wed Jul 8, 2020 6:55 pm

nikster wrote:
Mikistan wrote:People have no patience or foresight - all because they live in the 'yolo' and me-first individualistic society in North America....

I agree with your point overall, but with the US government already ending relief payments I dont know how the average American is gonna continue to get by.

Right so take to the streets and help the revolution - that government treats its people as 'human capital' after all, if they are not working, they are set up to lose their house, lose their health, and end up in jail where they can work for free anyway.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,500

Post#305 » by bballsparkin » Thu Jul 9, 2020 3:46 am

^^That doesn't seem like a great option for the average person lol.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,560

Post#306 » by SFour » Thu Jul 9, 2020 4:41 am

ya lets shut down for another 3 years...everything is going perfectly fine

Ottawa to post $343B deficit as spending hits levels not seen since Second World War
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bill-morneau-fiscal-update-budget-deficit-1.5641864

Mikistan
RealGM

Post#307 » by Mikistan » Thu Jul 9, 2020 4:57 am

SFour wrote:

Ottawa to post $343B deficit as spending hits levels not seen since Second World War
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bill-morneau-fiscal-update-budget-deficit-1.5641864

Oh nooooo

Made up numbers looks red boo hoo

Meanwhile people are dying, insect, bird, biodiversity populations are plummetting

Humans create more waste daily to keep those numbers inflated

Give me a break

What we've created is not sustainable and woefully flawed on a macro and long term scale
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,505

Post#308 » by RaptorPride » Thu Jul 9, 2020 8:12 am

Mikistan wrote:
SFour wrote:

Oh nooooo

Meanwhile people are dying, insect, bird, biodiversity populations are plummetting

Give me a break

What we've created is not sustainable and woefully flawed on a macro and long term scale

And what do you think we can do to fix it?
Spoiler:

LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#309 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 12:44 pm

RaptorPride wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
SFour wrote:

Oh nooooo

Give me a break

by watching the Raptors win another championship. duh
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#310 » by Mikistan » Thu Jul 9, 2020 3:59 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:
Mikistan wrote:Oh nooooo

Give me a break

WINNING FIXES EVERYTHING

but seriously, i obvious dont have all the answers, its a question that has eluded humanity since the dawn of our civilizations. The more i think about it, the more daunting it gets -- you feel like you are a tiny person who can't do anything to change the world and then the apathy sets in. Then you turn the TV/computer on, drink your beer, smoke your drugs and forget -- as we all march towards our planet's demise.

Assumptions: People require at minimum
- food & water
- shelter
- positive cummunity/social interaction

Can argue these may also be requirements:
- people should have access to information (ie a free internet)
- equal opportunity bases to achieve/provide value to society though actions/work
- opportunity/freedom to enrich themselves physically or mentally as long as it doesn't limit other freedoms

To accomplish that, you need all humans to works for a collective goal rather than individual zero-sum games
Ie. expand the pie to everyone gets more rather than slice the pie until there isn't any left

I think Money as a concept is a problem - money is time, other people's time.
If you sell a product or a service, you are either selling your time (which is finite 24 hours a day, per lifetime) or takes up the consumers time (people using this app instead of others, or spending 3hours on this media rather than others).
We pay our workers based on the time they work.

So as a result, money can be hoarded. So hoarders/the 1% are essentially hoarding other people's lives and time.
Therein comes the concept of wage slaves -- you work 2/3 jobs just to "make a living" to put a roof over your head etc.

Then as a result, large city centers have grown due to proximity to work, increasing perceived land values and home prices (ie. toronto house vs winnipeg home prices...)

Some key tenements that would help:
- A bigger switch to more barter-transactions - service for service, goods for goods
- even distribution of food, the amount of waste is staggering, we have enough food to feed the whole world but we do not
- huge incentives for Waste reduction (or cripplingly punitive disincentives for those that do pollute) - the corporations that produce the garbage must be responsible for it.
- better balance between social services/healthcare and policing/military. On the one hand, a lot of the best inventions are created from military research applications and eventually find their way to mass culture after the R&D is done.
- That R&D should be pointed to space exploration and conservatism/cleaning the oceans (which we treat like a massive garbage dump right now)

Re: Waste/garbage creation
- the propoganda from the 50s still permeates society today. Companies like J&J, Mcdonalds, Coca Cola, PepsiCo etc.
They are a big reason for our one-time-use, disposable way of life.

it seems that the nationwide anti-litter campaign, which began in the 1950s, was a bit less pure in its origins. According to Heather Rogers’ Gone Tomorrow: The Hidden Life of Garbage, the entire anti-litter movement was initiated by a consortium of industry groups who wanted to divert the nation’s attention away from even more radical legislation to control the amount of waste these companies were putting out.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2006/05/origins-anti-litter-campaigns/

They effectively passed the buck - putting the blame on consumers not appropriately throwing out waste - when its the companies themselves creating the waste in the first place.

All waste should go back to the original manufacturer.

Anytime you see a tim hortons coffee cup on the side of the road, in the bushes, that should be all taken out of landfills and piled up in their manufacturing plants and in their head offices.

This society created fake demand for crap products so that it could show profits in its next quarterly earnings reports. You create planned obsolescence so you can sell more, and the garbage from your product's packaging, and the product itself breaking just gets thrown out.
You can't say "just don't by those goods, boycott those companies" -- the waste already exists ... the plastic, the garbage, its already on the shelves

Insurance companies are part of this problem too --- we have create a "replace it" society rather than a "fix it" or "make it last" one. If you crash a car, its better for the insurance companies to take it for parts, give you money, and you buy a new one. Its in the best intrests of the car companies, the gas companies, the insurance companies, all for you to just replace everything...

Globalization has shifted the problems that companies had with higher labour and unions in the 1900s and offshored them to the developing world.
We have this out-of-sight, out-of-mind attitude where we only care about our current state of living/happiness --- even if it means our future generations - our **** children and offspring - will be left with a dying planet.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#311 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 6:01 pm

SFour wrote:

Canafa is more than capable of borrowing to bridge the Covid disaster. Don't let anyone tell you the sky is falling Chicken Little. Great Britain is still paying off incremental payments on debt incurred in the Napoleonic wars. Of course some politicians will try and fabricate sketchy careers with deficit hawk hysteria and that there is some formula for ideal debt to gdp ratio. What isn't talked about was all the over leveraged enterprises like the airline industry bubble that were bound to explode Covid or not. There are so many more critical issues to look at before some "opetators" milk debt blame in a natural human disaster.
RaptorPride
General Manager

Post#312 » by RaptorPride » Thu Jul 9, 2020 8:20 pm

Mikistan wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:And what do you think we can do to fix it?

WINNING FIXES EVERYTHING

but seriously, i obvious dont have all the answers, its a question that has eluded humanity since the dawn of our civilizations. The more i think about it, the more daunting it gets -- you feel like you are a tiny person who can't do anything to change the world and then the apathy sets in. Then you turn the TV/computer on, drink your beer, smoke your drugs and forget -- as we all march towards our planet's demise.

- food & water
- shelter

- equal opportunity bases to achieve/provide value to society though actions/work
- opportunity/freedom to enrich themselves physically or mentally as long as it doesn't limit other freedoms

To accomplish that, you need all humans to works for a collective goal rather than individual zero-sum games
Ie. expand the pie to everyone gets more rather than slice the pie until there isn't any left

If you sell a product or a service, you are either selling your time (which is finite 24 hours a day, per lifetime) or takes up the consumers time (people using this app instead of others, or spending 3hours on this media rather than others).

So as a result, money can be hoarded. So hoarders/the 1% are essentially hoarding other people's lives and time.
Therein comes the concept of wage slaves -- you work 2/3 jobs just to "make a living" to put a roof over your head etc.

Then as a result, large city centers have grown due to proximity to work, increasing perceived land values and home prices (ie. toronto house vs winnipeg home prices...)

- A bigger switch to more barter-transactions - service for service, goods for goods
- even distribution of food, the amount of waste is staggering, we have enough food to feed the whole world but we do not
- huge incentives for Waste reduction (or cripplingly punitive disincentives for those that do pollute) - the corporations that produce the garbage must be responsible for it.
- better balance between social services/healthcare and policing/military. On the one hand, a lot of the best inventions are created from military research applications and eventually find their way to mass culture after the R&D is done.
- That R&D should be pointed to space exploration and conservatism/cleaning the oceans (which we treat like a massive garbage dump right now)

- the propoganda from the 50s still permeates society today. Companies like J&J, Mcdonalds, Coca Cola, PepsiCo etc.

it seems that the nationwide anti-litter campaign, which began in the 1950s, was a bit less pure in its origins. According to Heather Rogers’ Gone Tomorrow: The Hidden Life of Garbage, the entire anti-litter movement was initiated by a consortium of industry groups who wanted to divert the nation’s attention away from even more radical legislation to control the amount of waste these companies were putting out.

They effectively passed the buck - putting the blame on consumers not appropriately throwing out waste - when its the companies themselves creating the waste in the first place.

Anytime you see a tim hortons coffee cup on the side of the road, in the bushes, that should be all taken out of landfills and piled up in their manufacturing plants and in their head offices.

This society created fake demand for crap products so that it could show profits in its next quarterly earnings reports. You create planned obsolescence so you can sell more, and the garbage from your product's packaging, and the product itself breaking just gets thrown out.
You can't say "just don't by those goods, boycott those companies" -- the waste already exists ... the plastic, the garbage, its already on the shelves

Insurance companies are part of this problem too --- we have create a "replace it" society rather than a "fix it" or "make it last" one. If you crash a car, its better for the insurance companies to take it for parts, give you money, and you buy a new one. Its in the best intrests of the car companies, the gas companies, the insurance companies, all for you to just replace everything...

Globalization has shifted the problems that companies had with higher labour and unions in the 1900s and offshored them to the developing world.
We have this out-of-sight, out-of-mind attitude where we only care about our current state of living/happiness --- even if it means our future generations - our **** children and offspring - will be left with a dying planet.

I agree that all of these are mandatory.
- food & water
- shelter

I feel like free internet is really important today. There is more and more you can learn online now free and paid. People won't even need to go to a physical school to learn. I feel like everyone on this planet needs and should have access to the internet if they want it. I like what Musk is doing to achieve this with Starlink. Having satellites beam internet down to every part of the earth. But I just question what the future consequences of having these many satellites orbiting our planet are.

What do you think about this?
Have factories, fast-food restaurants, grocery stores etc. That need simple human labour. Push them to full automation and maybe the government can help with loans to companies that are willing to this route. Would alow for more domesticly made items so we don't have to rely on places like China. I think its possible to have these places fully run by robots in the near future. Maybe not like robots in movies but by more smarter machines. We can tax them a small amount and use that to fund a universal basic income something like cerb where it would give everyone in the country regardless of how much they earn a set amount every month. Say something like $1500 to $2000.

This will free people of boring mundane jobs that are slowly crushing their souls everyday. Would give a boost in moral to the people who are stuck in this cycle of life. That small amount can be used towards rent and food. Leaving them with time to purse their goals and push for a more meaningful career. Or the ability just to take on a part time job and live a decent life with out stress. Hofully something like this can raise the floor of quilty of life.

With cars we have to bet on self driving to solve our problems. If every car on the road is self driving. Human error shouldn't be a factor anymore and maybe that effects insurance companies. All cars are going to move into electric self driving soon. They all should beable to communicate with each other regardless of company so they can move in sync. Allowing for faster and safer travel.
Spoiler:

RaptorPride
General Manager

Post#313 » by RaptorPride » Thu Jul 9, 2020 8:34 pm

Mikistan wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:And what do you think we can do to fix it?

WINNING FIXES EVERYTHING

- food & water
- shelter

I like the idea of sending waste back to the companies. But how could we get it to work?
Spoiler:

RyderMike
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,800

Post#314 » by RyderMike » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:08 am

I'm watching the Montreal Impact MLS game in the bubble. They have the TSN announcers calling the game from in studio, so given that, it's likely we will have Devlin doing the Raptors games.
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,947

Post#315 » by refshateRaps » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:44 am

Mikistan wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:
Tacoma wrote:
Far for me to support billionaire owners but the sentiment of them putting "poor" players at risk because of greed is wrong. The NBA players’ union approved a restart, so clearly they want money as much as the owners. Like Oladipo, any players can opt out from playing if they so choose. Players are co-conspirators, not pawns.

If keeping players in a safe bubble isn't safe enough for you, then eliminating this risk will require a vaccine which most medical experts say won't come until early-mid 2021. This should write off most/all of next season as well. Don't think it's just this season!

Even then while the vaccine will certainly help minimize risk for the vulnerable it wont to protect anyone from new strains, so there is always risk

Saying that, based on all the data out there is not real any risk for healthy adults with or without a vaccine. That's why the union support a return.

There are report for healthy adults having impact to their sense of smell, tingling, lung capacity and on top of that, reports of people potentially contracting Covid again a second time with even worse impacts the second time.

There is a risk, and saying "there isn't really any risk" is a propaganda type comment.

You are saying there is a risk in a way that makes it seem like there is no risk to make one outcome seem more reasonable and its bull

The reason the world is basically gone back to normal outside of some 'rules' to protect the vulnerable is because the lack of risk is well known to healthy people

If you want to drill down in the same light on any virus you can find extreme cases to healthy people. The main risk here is people with already weaken immune systems, and we have no vaccine or cure to protect them. The data is pretty clear at this stage, although sensationalism still runs strong

There is so much focus zoned in on this one virus right now so we hear the worst cases and some take them as common, when that is the furthest from reality. What you are saying is closer to propaganda and fear mongering
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#316 » by Mikistan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:46 am

refshateRaps wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
refshateRaps wrote:

The reason the world is basically gone back to normal outside of some 'rules' to protect the vulnerable is because the lack of risk is well known to healthy people

If you want to drill down in the same light on any virus you can find extreme cases. The main risk here is people with already weaken immune systems, and we have no vaccine or cure to protect them.

There is so much focus on this virus that we hear the worst cases and some take them as common,, when that is the furthest from reality. What you are saying is closer to propaganda and fear mongering

The world has not basically gone back to normal.

Your very first sentence tries to set a tone that isn't true.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,517

Post#317 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:22 am

SFour wrote:

Trudeau is trash, but this is what every country's deficit graph looks like right now. There was nothing unreasonable about his spending before the pandemic (not that spending is an indicator of anything).
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#318 » by OAKLEY_2 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:46 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
SFour wrote:

Trudeau is trash, but this is what every country's deficit graph looks like right now. There was nothing unreasonable about his spending before the pandemic (not that spending is an indicator of anything).

You mean like being focused on policy vs. Individual personality? That does doesn't sell Global News, CNN or CTV or whatever other drivel info cycle people choose for their Information Inc. propaganda.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#319 » by macNcheese3 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:57 pm

This is going to be a must watch. I’m cheering for LAL to win the chip out of the West. Anyone but the Clips.
Inklink
RealGM
And1: 19,214

Post#320 » by Inklink » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:00 am

Some real hardcore basketball talk in here.
For lease.

Return to Toronto Raptors