ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,349

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#1021 » by PerfectJab » Wed Apr 8, 2020 8:29 pm

rocky_da_best wrote:
PerfectJab wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Or it's entirely correct, and those that suffer from this fail to realize it, because they believe it's everyone else that has a problem, or that they are in fact different. As for your strawman argument about control, you can have that with someone else that doesn't agree with it being a complete illusion.

I take issue that there is a lot of circular reasoning based on perceptual truths.

Is what you're saying possible, yes, but it may also be completely wrong and you can't automatically invalidate a person's introspective abilities based on a difference of opinion. Based on how you responded I think you understand this.

Dude. No one cares. Stop derailing this thread.

You obviously do, otherwise you wouldn't find a reason to respond :lol: Think of the context behind why I responded. Would want nothing more than to have no more responses as it's a frivolous argument, but I will stick up for myself.

Perhaps you can understand that I wasn't told "Perfectjab da best"

When will the panic buying end?
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,760

Post#1022 » by Lord_Zedd » Wed Apr 8, 2020 8:35 pm

rocky_da_best wrote:
NinjaBro wrote:Holy crap I just learned something remarkable today. So as some of you know BC has held up very well during this pandemic. I thought our Provincial Health Officer Bonnie Henry had us well prepared and was doing a marvelous job controlling the outbreak.

I just learned that Bonnie Henry whom I've been following everyday is the person who was responsible and was in charge for overseeing the SARS and H1N1 outbreak in Toronto. I was living in Toronto at that time and from what I can remember there were minimal disruptions.

What a marvelous job she did in Toronto and now we're seeing it in BC. We are seeing the curve flatten here in western Canada, with another anemic 25 cases today, the lowest number of cases in weeks. This incredible woman needs recognition for what a great job she's doing. We need to send her to Quebec to help get things under control there. Hats off to this incredible lady :clap:

What are your leaders saying that Ford isn't? Or is it simply the people that live in BC taking this more seriously than here? Or is it the asian population? People already wearing masks to begin with and not worrying about some sort of "stigma" that some idiots here still are. And before some SJW comes at me, just look at the demographics of the two provinces. Thanks.

I don't live there, but I am quite impressed with BC, and Vancouver is literally a sardine can in terms of land mass compared to the GTA.

BC was supposed to have their March Break right after ours ended. They didn't end up having one and were extremely fortunate to tell its residents not to travel with the current (at the time) **** going on. By the time Ontario went a complete 180 on 'go out and travel for March break', it was too late.

The other one is the health care workers - mainly in long term community homes in BC are only permitted to work at one location after the outbreak in Lynn Valley. In Ontario for whatever reason, health care workers are still working in multiple sites and now have 58 outbreaks in these facilities across Ontario. Doesn't help either that one particular facility held a pub night in a middle of a **** pandemic.
yogimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,927

Post#1023 » by yogimvp » Wed Apr 8, 2020 8:38 pm

ontario has a way bigger population than bc and everyone is so close to each other.

if you look at cases per every 100,000 people then bc is almost the same as ontario.
https://www.macleans.ca/news/a-heat-map-of-coronavirus-cases-in-canada/
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,003

Post#1024 » by raptor jesus » Wed Apr 8, 2020 8:43 pm

yogimvp wrote:ontario has a way bigger population than bc and everyone is so close to each other.

if you look at cases per every 100,000 people then bc is almost the same as ontario.
https://www.macleans.ca/news/a-heat-map-of-coronavirus-cases-in-canada/

If I'm reading that correctly, BC has conducted nearly twice as much testing per 100k, tho - and I know BC has been fairly conservative with doling out tests.
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,850

Post#1025 » by VancouverRaps » Wed Apr 8, 2020 8:46 pm

It's encouraging to see the curve of new cases flatline/decline in Canada but I still don't trust humanity. Last weekend while driving to get some food/supplies, I still saw people out with their kids/dogs in playgrounds and crowded parks here in greater Vancouver. I suspect it'll only get worse with the long weekend coming up, especially if the sun is still out.

Some people just don't care.
We the Champs
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,120

Post#1026 » by gp2015 » Wed Apr 8, 2020 8:54 pm

NUCKER101 wrote:It's encouraging to see the curve of new cases flatline/decline in Canada but I still don't trust humanity. Last weekend while driving to get some food/supplies, I still saw people out with their kids/dogs in playgrounds and crowded parks here in greater Vancouver. I suspect it'll only get worse with the long weekend coming up, especially if the sun is still out.

Some people just don't care.

Unfortunately, some people won't care until something happens to themselves or someone they know. It's just a very selfish way of thinking.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
CantStopTheRock
Junior
And1: 157

Post#1027 » by CantStopTheRock » Wed Apr 8, 2020 10:35 pm

Lord_Zedd wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:
NinjaBro wrote:Holy crap I just learned something remarkable today. So as some of you know BC has held up very well during this pandemic. I thought our Provincial Health Officer Bonnie Henry had us well prepared and was doing a marvelous job controlling the outbreak.

I just learned that Bonnie Henry whom I've been following everyday is the person who was responsible and was in charge for overseeing the SARS and H1N1 outbreak in Toronto. I was living in Toronto at that time and from what I can remember there were minimal disruptions.

What a marvelous job she did in Toronto and now we're seeing it in BC. We are seeing the curve flatten here in western Canada, with another anemic 25 cases today, the lowest number of cases in weeks. This incredible woman needs recognition for what a great job she's doing. We need to send her to Quebec to help get things under control there. Hats off to this incredible lady :clap:

What are your leaders saying that Ford isn't? Or is it simply the people that live in BC taking this more seriously than here? Or is it the asian population? People already wearing masks to begin with and not worrying about some sort of "stigma" that some idiots here still are. And before some SJW comes at me, just look at the demographics of the two provinces. Thanks.

I don't live there, but I am quite impressed with BC, and Vancouver is literally a sardine can in terms of land mass compared to the GTA.

BC was supposed to have their March Break right after ours ended. They didn't end up having one and were extremely fortunate to tell its residents not to travel with the current (at the time) **** going on. By the time Ontario went a complete 180 on 'go out and travel for March break', it was too late.

The other one is the health care workers - mainly in long term community homes in BC are only permitted to work at one location after the outbreak in Lynn Valley. In Ontario for whatever reason, health care workers are still working in multiple sites and now have 58 outbreaks in these facilities across Ontario. Doesn't help either that one particular facility held a pub night in a middle of a **** pandemic.

Assuming the numbers are correct.

The Province of BC would be among one of the best of handling this in the world recently

Under 5 new cases per million yesterday, better than a Country like Czechia (22 new cases per 1mil) which was posted earlier about how well they are flattening the curve since they implemented mandatory mask wearing and strict guidelines since March 18th. Since that time BC has over their March 18th daily cases only 3 times, Czechia is over every time except twice they were under.

Also better than a country like Singapore which has average 14.7 new cases per day per million this last week, compared to BC at at 8.5 (used last 7 daily reports)

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/new-covid-cases-per-million?tab=chart&time=49..78&country=CZE+SGP
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,847

Post#1028 » by rocky_da_best » Wed Apr 8, 2020 10:57 pm

CantStopTheRock wrote:
Lord_Zedd wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:

The Province of BC would be among one of the best of handling this in the world recently

Under 5 new cases per million yesterday, better than a Country like Czechia (22 new cases per 1mil) which was posted earlier about how well they are flattening the curve since they implemented mandatory mask wearing and strict guidelines since March 18th. Since that time BC has over their March 18th daily cases only 3 times, Czechia is over every time except twice they were under.

Also better than a country like Singapore which has average 14.7 new cases per day per million this last week, compared to BC at at 8.5 (used last 7 daily reports)

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/new-covid-cases-per-million?tab=chart&time=49..78&country=CZE+SGP

Are you eastern euro? Never heard anyone outside of there call the Czech Republic "Czechia". :lol: I had to do a double take.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#1029 » by Courtside » Wed Apr 8, 2020 11:24 pm

rocky_da_best wrote:
CantStopTheRock wrote:
Lord_Zedd wrote:

Are you eastern euro? Never heard anyone outside of there call the Czech Republic "Czechia". :lol: I had to do a double take.

It's a new thing in the last year or so. When I was there in 2018 it was still the Czech Republic officially, but some leaders or groups thought it didn't sound European enough or something and wanted it reduced to a single word name. Czechia is what they came up with, and the word still hasn't really reached the whole world, even though this "colloquial name change" was official back in 2016.
CantStopTheRock
Junior
And1: 157

Post#1030 » by CantStopTheRock » Thu Apr 9, 2020 12:32 am

Courtside wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:
CantStopTheRock wrote:

It's a new thing in the last year or so. When I was there in 2018 it was still the Czech Republic officially, but some leaders or groups thought it didn't sound European enough or something and wanted it reduced to a single word name. Czechia is what they came up with, and the word still hasn't really reached the whole world, even though this "colloquial name change" was official back in 2016.

No not eastern European. I've been there a couple times because a good friend is a professor at a school in Slovakia, but I haven't been there in a few years.

Talking with him is the reason why I know about the change and have gotten used to calling it by that name.

Beautiful country though. We did a month long road trip through there, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary. Probably my favorite trip.
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,847

Post#1031 » by rocky_da_best » Thu Apr 9, 2020 1:02 am

Courtside wrote:
rocky_da_best wrote:
CantStopTheRock wrote:

TIL. Thanks Courtside. I call it "Czechia" in my language so it's not hard of a transition but I suspect a lot of english speaking folk are unaware of this name change. Pretty sure "Czechia" is what Czech's call it anyway.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,927

Post#1032 » by Kevin Willis » Thu Apr 9, 2020 2:01 am

I hear more and more people in grocery stores are getting it. Not sure why they are not wearing masks, that's an easy spread right there.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,139

Post#1033 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Apr 9, 2020 2:20 am

rocky_da_best wrote:
CantStopTheRock wrote:
Lord_Zedd wrote:

They officially adopted Czechia in 2016. Most maps and country listings use that name now.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,139

Post#1034 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Apr 9, 2020 2:22 am

Kevin Willis wrote:I hear more and more people in grocery stores are getting it. Not sure why they are not wearing masks, that's an easy spread right there.

It's hard to find masks anywhere to purchase. And the government is only now (slowly) changing its tune on masks. Up until a week ago, the message was "don't wear masks under any circumstances as they are 100% useless".
Courtside
RealGM

Post#1035 » by Courtside » Thu Apr 9, 2020 3:15 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:I hear more and more people in grocery stores are getting it. Not sure why they are not wearing masks, that's an easy spread right there.

It's hard to find masks anywhere to purchase. And the government is only now (slowly) changing its tune on masks. Up until a week ago, the message was "don't wear masks under any circumstances as they are 100% useless".

In the last 3 days I have arranged orders for 66 thousand surgical masks and 20 thousand KN95s. I'll probably arrange a RGM mask day with a couple of pickup spots around town.

$10 for 10
$45 for 50

No bulk buying. 50 will be the limit per customer.

Will also offer 100 for $85 but you will donate 50 to a nearby nursing home, while keeping 50 for yourself
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,725

Post#1036 » by And1Skip » Thu Apr 9, 2020 4:12 am

That’s why I said why are people avoiding Asian supermarkets where everyone, staff and customers, wear masks and if you don’t you might not even be allowed in. You look at a supermarket like Longos in Weston Rd in Vaughan, I’m pretty sure at least from 2 weeks ago no one wore masks there and last weekend they reported 9 staff infected so there’s likely way more too but haven’t been tested bc asymptomatic.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Post#1037 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Apr 9, 2020 4:47 am

Courtside wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

In the last 3 days I have arranged orders for 66 thousand surgical masks and 20 thousand KN95s. I'll probably arrange a RGM mask day with a couple of pickup spots around town.

$10 for 10
$45 for 50

Will also offer 100 for $85 but you will donate 50 to a nearby nursing home, while keeping 50 for yourself

I'll take the last option. Can it be a retirement home instead? Some are just quarantining all residents to their room/suite as a precaution, bu there has to be reasons they leave temporarily. I'm good with just long-term care though if that's what you want.

And if you didn't limit it, I would take the lot.
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,504

Post#1038 » by RaptorPride » Thu Apr 9, 2020 5:07 am

Courtside wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

$10 for 10
$45 for 50

I will defiantly be interested. Do you know when you should be getting them?
Spoiler:

RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,504

Post#1039 » by RaptorPride » Thu Apr 9, 2020 5:10 am

Raps in 4 wrote:

That wasn't the government's fault it was WHO that told them it wasn't needed. There is corruption with China and WHO that's going on and Trump is stopping funding for WHO because of this. Watch out for Bill Gates to he's up to no good.
Spoiler:

Courtside
RealGM

Post#1040 » by Courtside » Thu Apr 9, 2020 11:10 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
Courtside wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

$10 for 10
$45 for 50

I'll take the last option. Can it be a retirement home instead? Some are just quarantining all residents to their room/suite as a precaution, bu there has to be reasons they leave temporarily. I'm good with just long-term care though if that's what you want.

And if you didn't limit it, I would take the lot.

Uh, the whole lot? If you are interested in large qty there is a whole different way we could do things. PM me if serious.

Return to Toronto Raptors