ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#561 » by MavCarter » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:26 am

What on earth was the point of ford calling a mandatory shutdown? Was it for brownie points? Because judging by that list nothing is getting shut down that already hasnt
#Enjoytheride
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,645

Post#562 » by C_Money » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:39 am

If you get coronavirus at this point you pretty much deserve it. You were warned to stay inside and didn’t listen. Case closed.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,077

Post#563 » by Westside Gunn » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:54 am

shutdown doesnt mean much.

allowing all these businesses to operate when everyone is being told to stay in will ultimately lead to businesses voluntarily shutting down or reducing hours.

once they start calling it a curfew then **** gets real.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#564 » by djsunyc » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:54 am

execoftheyear wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
gp2015 wrote:600+ new cases of Coronavirus in Canada since yesterday and now we're at 2000+.

That's definitely not good.

the # of cases are going to go up simply b/c more testing is being done. the # of cases isn't the worrying number. it's expected.

the # to pay attention to is the # of critical care cases.

this has been unchecked in this continent since jan - that's 2.5 months of free movement, socializing, travelling. my guess is that tens of millions of people have it but are unaware. if my hypothesis is correct, then the lethality of it is much lower than expected.

but none of this means anything b/c we are blind until everyone who has it (or had it - using antibody testing) is tested to get a more accurate %.

Italy's numbers basically confirm China's numbers

death rates require #'s of total people that have or has had it. nobody has those numbers.

for example, cdc says 35 mil people had the flu in 2018/19. of those numbers 490k required hospitalization and 34k of them died. now, the 34k is a huge number, as is the 490k - but when you see 35 mil, you don't shut down countries b/c of it. we don't have that total number therefore we are operating a blindly here. the huge worry at this point is overrun hospitals b/c if everyone is going into critical care at once, then we can't support it - that's the major cause for concern for a new virus since we don't know how our bodies react to it. but overall, we need to test every single person to see if they have it or had it.

there are 60 mil people in italy. they currently have about 64k cases. but the question is exactly how many people got tested?

i think in the US, we should sample a 50k-100k group of people (all ages/sexes/nationalities) to see how many are infected and prorate it (like how nielsen does their tv ratings). pick a part of nyc and just test everyone - symptoms and no symptoms. that would give us a much better picture of how dangerous/widespread this disease really is.
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,491

Post#565 » by Hipster Doofus » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:12 am

In the 90s, I was in quarantine in one of the Balkan conflicts for approximately 3 months during Spring/Summer.

When I say quarantine, I mean QUARA-F***ING-TINE. Your a55 was locked in the house for 23 hours a day. You only had an hour a day to go and get flour/bread/milk at the local grocer. You were caught outside of those hours, you a55 disappeared.

This bullcrap quaran-flowery-tine with EEEEEVERYTHING being an essential service is unbelievably dumb. This disease is like a gun pointed right at our head and instead of running for our lives and ducking, we are smiling at it and moving half an inch back and forth right in the line of fire.

Weak-minded motherf***ing leaders (and some of the general population).
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,369

Post#566 » by TD2FutureStar » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:33 am

C_Money wrote:If you get coronavirus at this point you pretty much deserve it. You were warned to stay inside and didn’t listen. Case closed.

What an ignorant post. You can catch the virus shopping for food,pumping gas etc. Hell you can catch it from others that live in your home or apartment/condo complex. People like you disgust me.
wayoftheroad
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,809

Post#567 » by wayoftheroad » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:47 am

TD2FutureStar wrote:
C_Money wrote:If you get coronavirus at this point you pretty much deserve it. You were warned to stay inside and didn’t listen. Case closed.

What an ignorant post. You can catch the virus shopping for food,pumping gas etc. Hell you can catch it from others that live in your home or apartment/condo complex. People like you disgust me.

Settle down there skipper
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,369

Post#568 » by TD2FutureStar » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:54 am

wayoftheroad wrote:
TD2FutureStar wrote:

People wishing others would contract a potentially fatal disease is something I take exception to.
yogimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,927

Post#569 » by yogimvp » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:10 am

the "essential" list is such a joke. pretty much everyone is going to be working. i was expecting a real shutdown.
pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,249

Post#570 » by pingpongrac » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:11 am

wayoftheroad wrote:
TD2FutureStar wrote:

He's not wrong. It was an incredibly ignorant post. A lot of people that make minimum wage (or slightly above) have little to no benefits and are being forced to work because they need the money to get by -- and their workplaces have still remained open. Most of those same people aren't eligible for EI either unless they actually have been diagnosed with COVID-19. Are they supposed to quit their jobs then end up homeless in a month or two?

Sent from my LG-H831 using RealGM mobile app
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,850

Post#571 » by rocky_da_best » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:16 am

Some people are forced to go to work to make sure they can put food on their tables and pay their monthly rent. Some people don't really have much choice.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,010

Post#572 » by kalel123 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:25 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:i cant think of one country, at least developed, 1st world that handled this properly.

Trudeau,Johnson, trump , macron, merkel all handled this pretty poorly. you cant just single out Trudeau on this

Korea

And it's no thanks to their leader from what I'm hearing. He's just as bad as Trudeau if not worse. It's just that their medical system, which has been long established is different from that of countries like US or Canada and they have a well-established culture of wearing mask already thanks to Chinese pollution.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant

Post#573 » by Westside Gunn » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:46 am

being close to china gives you an advantage. you know the country better than the countries on the other side of the globe.

this is why no european or north american country reacted properly.

and the people are idiots too who are playing a huge part, going away for march break and ****
Inklink
RealGM
And1: 19,214

Post#574 » by Inklink » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:14 am

Yeah, that list is way too long.
For lease.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,462

Post#575 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:17 am

kalel123 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:i cant think of one country, at least developed, 1st world that handled this properly.

Trudeau,Johnson, trump , macron, merkel all handled this pretty poorly. you cant just single out Trudeau on this

Korea

And it's no thanks to their leader from what I'm hearing. He's just as bad as Trudeau if not worse. It's just that their medical system, which has been long established is different from that of countries like US or Canada and they have a well-established culture of wearing mask already thanks to Chinese pollution.

How does a healthcare system coordinate itself? Direction obviously came from the government.

Wearing masks certainly helped, but it's our government's fault for telling people not to wear masks and for letting supply drop to dangerously low levels.

But the biggest reason for Korea's success was their aggressive testing.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#576 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:20 am

This is why testing is important.

Read on Twitter
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant

Post#577 » by Westside Gunn » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:17 am

i read the list, and it kinda makes sense. putting it altogether.

if you want grocery stores/restaurants to remain open, then you will need the wholesalers and logistics companies to drive the goods to those stores to stay open. when you call in for your order, the telcom people have to make sure it works, and when you pay for your goods, the banks need to stay open to facilitate the money movement. you can tie manufacturing and production to groceries as well, who will make your food to have it ready on the shelves?

Construction i don't understand, maybe it applies to infrastructure programs such as transportation and healthcare. highways need to stay maintained so those trucks bringing in the food dont crash due to some huge pothole.

the media needs to stay alive for obvious reasons. i don't understand why research is an essential at this point, possibly related to the coronavirus and new meds?

justice sector is obvious

other businesses - machinery, equipment rental, i totally get. mailing and shipping, i totally understand, since im an online shopper and most people are.

laundromats don't need to be there, you can wash your clothes at home or your building. but it can be a commercial need to maintain hygiene in hospitals, and hygiene is a huge issue right now

professional services - you will still need some, such as lawyers, because people will always be commiting crimes. shutdown does not mean people will behave.

Realtor/moving services - not needed at all

Animals services/welfare - yeah since we are a pet heavy nation - it is an essential

Security - obvious reasons

Funeral - obvious reasons, lots of mfs die everyday

these decisions are pretty tough to make, specially when you need to maintain some kind of order. you can shut everything down, but it will just largely affect everything in that list, specially food and healthcare. you shut down the banks, you don't have access to your money, you shut down the media, you don't have access to information, you shut down telecom, you don't have freedom to communicate. i agree with above posters that we are not ready for something as significant as that. its too authoritarian and people will lose their ****.

all these industries listed above will face significant job losses tough, only the companies that are well connected to the main needs right now will thrive.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#578 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:40 am

jrask
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,158

Post#579 » by jrask » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:59 am

Westside Gunn wrote:i read the list, and it kinda makes sense. putting it altogether.

if you want grocery stores/restaurants to remain open, then you will need the wholesalers and logistics companies to drive the goods to those stores to stay open. when you call in for your order, the telcom people have to make sure it works, and when you pay for your goods, the banks need to stay open to facilitate the money movement. you can tie manufacturing and production to groceries as well, who will make your food to have it ready on the shelves?

Construction i don't understand, maybe it applies to infrastructure programs such as transportation and healthcare. highways need to stay maintained so those trucks bringing in the food dont crash due to some huge pothole.

the media needs to stay alive for obvious reasons. i don't understand why research is an essential at this point, possibly related to the coronavirus and new meds?

justice sector is obvious

other businesses - machinery, equipment rental, i totally get. mailing and shipping, i totally understand, since im an online shopper and most people are.

laundromats don't need to be there, you can wash your clothes at home or your building. but it can be a commercial need to maintain hygiene in hospitals, and hygiene is a huge issue right now

professional services - you will still need some, such as lawyers, because people will always be commiting crimes. shutdown does not mean people will behave.

Realtor/moving services - not needed at all

Animals services/welfare - yeah since we are a pet heavy nation - it is an essential

Security - obvious reasons

Funeral - obvious reasons, lots of mfs die everyday

these decisions are pretty tough to make, specially when you need to maintain some kind of order. you can shut everything down, but it will just largely affect everything in that list, specially food and healthcare. you shut down the banks, you don't have access to your money, you shut down the media, you don't have access to information, you shut down telecom, you don't have freedom to communicate. i agree with above posters that we are not ready for something as significant as that. its too authoritarian and people will lose their ****.

all these industries listed above will face significant job losses tough, only the companies that are well connected to the main needs right now will thrive.

I couldn’t really tell from the list.....are banks (branches) essential? Will they remain open?
No rebounds No rings
execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,171

Post#580 » by execoftheyear » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:51 am

djsunyc wrote:
execoftheyear wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
the # of cases are going to go up simply b/c more testing is being done. the # of cases isn't the worrying number. it's expected.

the # to pay attention to is the # of critical care cases.

this has been unchecked in this continent since jan - that's 2.5 months of free movement, socializing, travelling. my guess is that tens of millions of people have it but are unaware. if my hypothesis is correct, then the lethality of it is much lower than expected.

but none of this means anything b/c we are blind until everyone who has it (or had it - using antibody testing) is tested to get a more accurate %.

Italy's numbers basically confirm China's numbers

death rates require #'s of total people that have or has had it. nobody has those numbers.

for example, cdc says 35 mil people had the flu in 2018/19. of those numbers 490k required hospitalization and 34k of them died. now, the 34k is a huge number, as is the 490k - but when you see 35 mil, you don't shut down countries b/c of it. we don't have that total number therefore we are operating a blindly here. the huge worry at this point is overrun hospitals b/c if everyone is going into critical care at once, then we can't support it - that's the major cause for concern for a new virus since we don't know how our bodies react to it. but overall, we need to test every single person to see if they have it or had it.

there are 60 mil people in italy. they currently have about 64k cases. but the question is exactly how many people got tested?

i think in the US, we should sample a 50k-100k group of people (all ages/sexes/nationalities) to see how many are infected and prorate it (like how nielsen does their tv ratings). pick a part of nyc and just test everyone - symptoms and no symptoms. that would give us a much better picture of how dangerous/widespread this disease really is.

well your plan presents another issue, there's just not enough test kits to do that and people have to pay for them and in most cases, can't afford them

lack of testing is like fighting an invisible serial killer, you don't know where he's coming from or what his next move is

with countries like Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong and South Korea, all of whom are aggressive in their testing approach have been able to slow the spread by aggressive tracing and implementing appropriate measures (social distancing, constant temperature checks, face masks, business closures, etc)

Return to Toronto Raptors