ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End?

Moderators: niQ, Patman, pbj, Alfred, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Rhettmatic

User avatar
Centre Court
RealGM
Posts: 32,704
And1: 17,029
Joined: Nov 07, 2005
Location: Toronto
       

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#621 » by Centre Court » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:10 pm

I was in Walmart and Sobeys this morning and they both had toilet paper. The store shelves are being restocked, but hand sanitizer is still impossible to find.
Toronto Raptors - 2019 NBA Champions
CantStopTheRock
Junior
Posts: 332
And1: 154
Joined: Jun 25, 2007

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#622 » by CantStopTheRock » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:58 pm

Courtside wrote:
CantStopTheRock wrote:
Courtside wrote:
Right. The original shortage is the primary issue, we agree, I just don't think that if you look at the volume of materials that went to private buyers that it was really a large chunk of what was taken away from front line workers. I suppose you could say that if a day's worth of supplies was denied to one hospital in every province then that's kind of a lot, but the flipside is that those masks MAY have been used in a manner that prevented the number of infected and reduced the eventual downstream strain on HCP also.

I know you're going to disagree with that point as you have throughout the thread, but every "red dot" earlier in the transmission change stops every multiple of red dots that follow.

I'll try to find the link again, but the Japan study showed that if they had 50% compliance with mask wearing the spread was measurably slowed, and 80% compliance effectively stopped the spread of the contagion. I get that we don't want the general public wearing limited masks right now, but it is absolutely asinine to me that we don't have airline or airport staff wearing them since we know with 100% certainty that this has spread around the world through travel.

People who handle goods in grocery stores should be wearing them also, as they are likely to have highest chance for contact with surface droplets and could then become carriers and spreaders themselves, at the only place where we know every household will be making contact with

PS - if you need masks at the HC facility you are in, please PM me I have spent the last few nights opening access to quantities from overseas and will be bringing as much over as I can afford.


No I don't disagree with you entirely. I'm sure some people were buying a justifiable amount and they needed it do run supplies to family members, etc. and some might even prevented spreadng the virus. But there are others hording which is were likely a good portion of the retail sales were the few weeks before this chaos.

I am in no way saying people shouldn't have masks at home, they should, but I feel it should be a limited amount and to be used in certain situations. I just disagree with their effectiveness in a mass public setting, especially with the idiotic people I have seen wearing them

I would be interested in that study. That is a bold claim considering most Asian countries had high initial spikes of infection rates despite already wearing masks. Most places only decreased the rate of infection after they implemented other protocol


https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30229968/

More links through that link also. Obviously going to be mixed information from the various studies, but there is growing info now that the topic is at the forefront and it's being looked at more closely and more frequently.


Thank you

I’m not sure how they got those numbers, it just sort of summarizes there findings/estimates. Reading the rest of the articles

One article conclusion was

“ None of the studies established a conclusive relationship between mask/respirator use and protection against influenza infection.”

Then another says

“ To estimate the parameter values used for the effectiveness of facemasks, we used available data from studies on N95 respirators and surgical facemasks. The results show that if N95 respirators are only 20% effective in reducing susceptibility and infectivity, only 10% of the population would have to wear them to reduce the number of influenza A (H1N1) cases by 20%. We can conclude from our model that, if worn properly, facemasks are an effective intervention strategy in reducing the spread of pandemic (H1N1) 2009.”

But if you go to their source material for the article above it states

“ Unfortunately, this type of testing does not provide an accurate estimate of the level of protection for everyday use of a mask by a person. While these studies provide data on the actual protection of masks against nanoparticles in a perfect setting, it does not take into consideration that a mask will not be completely sealed on an individual nor will it fit perfectly. Furthermore, one must consider that an individual will not always be wearing the mask, for example, a mask will be taken off to eat and sleep, or possibly because it becomes uncomfortable to wear.”

”The effectiveness of surgical masks is low, therefore the impact of wearing them during an epidemic is not significant. Even at 50% effectiveness in reducing both susceptibility and infectivity and with 50% of the population wearing surgical masks only a 6% reduction in the number of cumulative cases is seen.“

And the last two are with the masks being worn properly and not taking into consideration people might touch their face more. They are literally just using expected effectiveness of a mask.

There have studies stating a n95 mask is not anymore effective compared to a surgical mask as well

It is sort of a mixed bag of information. Not sure what the point of that study is when the base of it so flawed.
User avatar
Courtside
RealGM
Posts: 16,603
And1: 9,196
Joined: Jul 25, 2002

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#623 » by Courtside » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:21 pm

CantStopTheRock wrote:
Courtside wrote:
CantStopTheRock wrote:
No I don't disagree with you entirely. I'm sure some people were buying a justifiable amount and they needed it do run supplies to family members, etc. and some might even prevented spreadng the virus. But there are others hording which is were likely a good portion of the retail sales were the few weeks before this chaos.

I am in no way saying people shouldn't have masks at home, they should, but I feel it should be a limited amount and to be used in certain situations. I just disagree with their effectiveness in a mass public setting, especially with the idiotic people I have seen wearing them

I would be interested in that study. That is a bold claim considering most Asian countries had high initial spikes of infection rates despite already wearing masks. Most places only decreased the rate of infection after they implemented other protocol


https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30229968/

More links through that link also. Obviously going to be mixed information from the various studies, but there is growing info now that the topic is at the forefront and it's being looked at more closely and more frequently.


Thank you

I’m not sure how they got those numbers, it just sort of summarizes there findings/estimates. Reading the rest of the articles

One article conclusion was

“ None of the studies established a conclusive relationship between mask/respirator use and protection against influenza infection.”

Then another says

“ To estimate the parameter values used for the effectiveness of facemasks, we used available data from studies on N95 respirators and surgical facemasks. The results show that if N95 respirators are only 20% effective in reducing susceptibility and infectivity, only 10% of the population would have to wear them to reduce the number of influenza A (H1N1) cases by 20%. We can conclude from our model that, if worn properly, facemasks are an effective intervention strategy in reducing the spread of pandemic (H1N1) 2009.”

But if you go to their source material for the article above it states

“ Unfortunately, this type of testing does not provide an accurate estimate of the level of protection for everyday use of a mask by a person. While these studies provide data on the actual protection of masks against nanoparticles in a perfect setting, it does not take into consideration that a mask will not be completely sealed on an individual nor will it fit perfectly. Furthermore, one must consider that an individual will not always be wearing the mask, for example, a mask will be taken off to eat and sleep, or possibly because it becomes uncomfortable to wear.”

”The effectiveness of surgical masks is low, therefore the impact of wearing them during an epidemic is not significant. Even at 50% effectiveness in reducing both susceptibility and infectivity and with 50% of the population wearing surgical masks only a 6% reduction in the number of cumulative cases is seen.“

And the last two are with the masks being worn properly and not taking into consideration people might touch their face more. They are literally just using expected effectiveness of a mask.

There have studies stating a n95 mask is not anymore effective compared to a surgical mask as well

It is sort of a mixed bag of information. Not sure what the point of that study is when the base of it so flawed.


As I said also, a mixed bag. The point, though, is that none of them say that wearing masks are actually MORE likely to help spread, in the way you keep suggesting. There are varying measures of benefit, some very good if worn properly and some much less good, but think for a second what a 6% reduction of infections would mean when we look at that on the scale of something like the COVID outbreak. 6% as a worst-case scenario could still be 100\s of thousands of fewer infected people.Or millions. These are people that won't get sick, won't become spreaders, and won't create the downstream stress on the health care system which is the single biggest challenge or comorbidity in all of this.

IMO, targeted implementation of masks to the highest risk spreaders makes sense as part of a 2 prong effort to increase the supply of masks.
CantStopTheRock
Junior
Posts: 332
And1: 154
Joined: Jun 25, 2007

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#624 » by CantStopTheRock » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:47 pm

Courtside wrote:
CantStopTheRock wrote:
Courtside wrote:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30229968/

More links through that link also. Obviously going to be mixed information from the various studies, but there is growing info now that the topic is at the forefront and it's being looked at more closely and more frequently.


Thank you

I’m not sure how they got those numbers, it just sort of summarizes there findings/estimates. Reading the rest of the articles

One article conclusion was

“ None of the studies established a conclusive relationship between mask/respirator use and protection against influenza infection.”

Then another says

“ To estimate the parameter values used for the effectiveness of facemasks, we used available data from studies on N95 respirators and surgical facemasks. The results show that if N95 respirators are only 20% effective in reducing susceptibility and infectivity, only 10% of the population would have to wear them to reduce the number of influenza A (H1N1) cases by 20%. We can conclude from our model that, if worn properly, facemasks are an effective intervention strategy in reducing the spread of pandemic (H1N1) 2009.”

But if you go to their source material for the article above it states

“ Unfortunately, this type of testing does not provide an accurate estimate of the level of protection for everyday use of a mask by a person. While these studies provide data on the actual protection of masks against nanoparticles in a perfect setting, it does not take into consideration that a mask will not be completely sealed on an individual nor will it fit perfectly. Furthermore, one must consider that an individual will not always be wearing the mask, for example, a mask will be taken off to eat and sleep, or possibly because it becomes uncomfortable to wear.”

”The effectiveness of surgical masks is low, therefore the impact of wearing them during an epidemic is not significant. Even at 50% effectiveness in reducing both susceptibility and infectivity and with 50% of the population wearing surgical masks only a 6% reduction in the number of cumulative cases is seen.“

And the last two are with the masks being worn properly and not taking into consideration people might touch their face more. They are literally just using expected effectiveness of a mask.

There have studies stating a n95 mask is not anymore effective compared to a surgical mask as well

It is sort of a mixed bag of information. Not sure what the point of that study is when the base of it so flawed.


As I said also, a mixed bag. The point, though, is that none of them say that wearing masks are actually MORE likely to help spread, in the way you keep suggesting. There are varying measures of benefit, some very good if worn properly and some much less good, but think for a second what a 6% reduction of infections would mean when we look at that on the scale of something like the COVID outbreak. 6% as a worst-case scenario could still be 100\s of thousands of fewer infected people.Or millions. These are people that won't get sick, won't become spreaders, and won't create the downstream stress on the health care system which is the single biggest challenge or comorbidity in all of this.

IMO, targeted implementation of masks to the highest risk spreaders makes sense as part of a 2 prong effort to increase the supply of masks.


They don’t say it is MORE likely because they don’t take any other factors into consideration other than a lab test in perfect case scenario of particles passing through a filter, then apply an effective rate factor based on CORRECT USE but without a perfect seal (duh? it’s a surgical mask). No factors of incorrect use or touching your face more

A clinical case study shows there is no difference between a n95 mask and a surgical mask in preventing a healthy person from getting a virus, that contradicts this “lab” test completely because they show a n95 being significantly better (which makes sense the way they conducted their test). Lab tests do not equal real world results.

That 6% is not worst case scenario as well. That is without taking any negatives into consideration (face touching), assuming a 50% effective rate(high but I’ll give you that) and wearing it correctly(which is not reality). Also, that is based on masking no one, I was arguing vs sick, HCW and other cases.

So if that 6% is 50% of population wearing masks vs ZERO masks , how much does masking sick and other cases account of that 6% (They don’t mention if HCW Still wore them in this scenario), probably the majority of it. And that is without factoring in any negatives or people wearing the mask incorrectly.

If everyone stayed home and social distanced that would stop the spread. This would be the result in a mathematical model, but look we have ever increasing infection rates. Why? Because controlled Lab or simplified formula results mean nothing when it comes to the the real world with real people who are so dumb they throw coronavirus parties
User avatar
Indeed
RealGM
Posts: 14,672
And1: 948
Joined: Aug 21, 2009

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#625 » by Indeed » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:31 pm

CantStopTheRock wrote:
Courtside wrote:
CantStopTheRock wrote:
Thank you

I’m not sure how they got those numbers, it just sort of summarizes there findings/estimates. Reading the rest of the articles

One article conclusion was

“ None of the studies established a conclusive relationship between mask/respirator use and protection against influenza infection.”

Then another says

“ To estimate the parameter values used for the effectiveness of facemasks, we used available data from studies on N95 respirators and surgical facemasks. The results show that if N95 respirators are only 20% effective in reducing susceptibility and infectivity, only 10% of the population would have to wear them to reduce the number of influenza A (H1N1) cases by 20%. We can conclude from our model that, if worn properly, facemasks are an effective intervention strategy in reducing the spread of pandemic (H1N1) 2009.”

But if you go to their source material for the article above it states

“ Unfortunately, this type of testing does not provide an accurate estimate of the level of protection for everyday use of a mask by a person. While these studies provide data on the actual protection of masks against nanoparticles in a perfect setting, it does not take into consideration that a mask will not be completely sealed on an individual nor will it fit perfectly. Furthermore, one must consider that an individual will not always be wearing the mask, for example, a mask will be taken off to eat and sleep, or possibly because it becomes uncomfortable to wear.”

”The effectiveness of surgical masks is low, therefore the impact of wearing them during an epidemic is not significant. Even at 50% effectiveness in reducing both susceptibility and infectivity and with 50% of the population wearing surgical masks only a 6% reduction in the number of cumulative cases is seen.“

And the last two are with the masks being worn properly and not taking into consideration people might touch their face more. They are literally just using expected effectiveness of a mask.

There have studies stating a n95 mask is not anymore effective compared to a surgical mask as well

It is sort of a mixed bag of information. Not sure what the point of that study is when the base of it so flawed.


As I said also, a mixed bag. The point, though, is that none of them say that wearing masks are actually MORE likely to help spread, in the way you keep suggesting. There are varying measures of benefit, some very good if worn properly and some much less good, but think for a second what a 6% reduction of infections would mean when we look at that on the scale of something like the COVID outbreak. 6% as a worst-case scenario could still be 100\s of thousands of fewer infected people.Or millions. These are people that won't get sick, won't become spreaders, and won't create the downstream stress on the health care system which is the single biggest challenge or comorbidity in all of this.

IMO, targeted implementation of masks to the highest risk spreaders makes sense as part of a 2 prong effort to increase the supply of masks.


They don’t say it is MORE likely because they don’t take any other factors into consideration other than a lab test in perfect case scenario of particles passing through a filter, then apply an effective rate factor based on CORRECT USE but without a perfect seal (duh? it’s a surgical mask). No factors of incorrect use or touching your face more

A clinical case study shows there is no difference between a n95 mask and a surgical mask in preventing a healthy person from getting a virus, that contradicts this “lab” test completely because they show a n95 being significantly better (which makes sense the way they conducted their test). Lab tests do not equal real world results.

That 6% is not worst case scenario as well. That is without taking any negatives into consideration (face touching), assuming a 50% effective rate(high but I’ll give you that) and wearing it correctly(which is not reality). Also, that is based on masking no one, I was arguing vs sick, HCW and other.

So if that 6% is 50% of population wearing masks vs ZERO masks , how much does masking sick and HCW account of that 6%, probably the vast majority of it. And that is without factoring in any negatives or people wearing the mask incorrectly.

If everyone stayed home and social distanced that would stop the spread. This would be the result in a mathematical model, but look we have ever increasing infection rates. Why? Because controlled Lab or simplified formula results mean nothing when it comes to the the real world with real people who are so dumb they throw coronavirus parties


I see a glass is installed on the supermarket cashier area. If a barrier of sort is not useful, why would they be adding the glass barrier? If your argument is that people are doing it wrong, would the people who do it right would prevent the virus?

To me, I believe the mask is useful. It would definitely be useful when you are in crowed area, particularly in public transit. Even line up at supermarket would be useful, and use the sanitizer existing the store.
CantStopTheRock
Junior
Posts: 332
And1: 154
Joined: Jun 25, 2007

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#626 » by CantStopTheRock » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:49 pm

Indeed wrote:
CantStopTheRock wrote:
Courtside wrote:
As I said also, a mixed bag. The point, though, is that none of them say that wearing masks are actually MORE likely to help spread, in the way you keep suggesting. There are varying measures of benefit, some very good if worn properly and some much less good, but think for a second what a 6% reduction of infections would mean when we look at that on the scale of something like the COVID outbreak. 6% as a worst-case scenario could still be 100\s of thousands of fewer infected people.Or millions. These are people that won't get sick, won't become spreaders, and won't create the downstream stress on the health care system which is the single biggest challenge or comorbidity in all of this.

IMO, targeted implementation of masks to the highest risk spreaders makes sense as part of a 2 prong effort to increase the supply of masks.


They don’t say it is MORE likely because they don’t take any other factors into consideration other than a lab test in perfect case scenario of particles passing through a filter, then apply an effective rate factor based on CORRECT USE but without a perfect seal (duh? it’s a surgical mask). No factors of incorrect use or touching your face more

A clinical case study shows there is no difference between a n95 mask and a surgical mask in preventing a healthy person from getting a virus, that contradicts this “lab” test completely because they show a n95 being significantly better (which makes sense the way they conducted their test). Lab tests do not equal real world results.

That 6% is not worst case scenario as well. That is without taking any negatives into consideration (face touching), assuming a 50% effective rate(high but I’ll give you that) and wearing it correctly(which is not reality). Also, that is based on masking no one, I was arguing vs sick, HCW and other.

So if that 6% is 50% of population wearing masks vs ZERO masks , how much does masking sick and HCW account of that 6%, probably the vast majority of it. And that is without factoring in any negatives or people wearing the mask incorrectly.

If everyone stayed home and social distanced that would stop the spread. This would be the result in a mathematical model, but look we have ever increasing infection rates. Why? Because controlled Lab or simplified formula results mean nothing when it comes to the the real world with real people who are so dumb they throw coronavirus parties


I see a glass is installed on the supermarket cashier area. If a barrier of sort is not useful, why would they be adding the glass barrier? If your argument is that people are doing it wrong, would the people who do it right would prevent the virus?

To me, I believe the mask is useful. It would definitely be useful when you are in crowed area, particularly in public transit. Even line up at supermarket would be useful, and use the sanitizer existing the store.


Really poor example but ill bite. If you had a piece of glass covering just your mouth and I sprayed a mist in front of you, does the mask stop the mist from going into your eyes and therefore body? Does it even create a perfect seal around your mouth? What if that spray was the virus and you had it on your hand, but now you touch your face more because of the mask?

I always said if worn correctly it would be of some, although minimal, benefit. But that is not what we have been debating.
User avatar
Indeed
RealGM
Posts: 14,672
And1: 948
Joined: Aug 21, 2009

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#627 » by Indeed » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:40 pm

CantStopTheRock wrote:
Indeed wrote:
CantStopTheRock wrote:
They don’t say it is MORE likely because they don’t take any other factors into consideration other than a lab test in perfect case scenario of particles passing through a filter, then apply an effective rate factor based on CORRECT USE but without a perfect seal (duh? it’s a surgical mask). No factors of incorrect use or touching your face more

A clinical case study shows there is no difference between a n95 mask and a surgical mask in preventing a healthy person from getting a virus, that contradicts this “lab” test completely because they show a n95 being significantly better (which makes sense the way they conducted their test). Lab tests do not equal real world results.

That 6% is not worst case scenario as well. That is without taking any negatives into consideration (face touching), assuming a 50% effective rate(high but I’ll give you that) and wearing it correctly(which is not reality). Also, that is based on masking no one, I was arguing vs sick, HCW and other.

So if that 6% is 50% of population wearing masks vs ZERO masks , how much does masking sick and HCW account of that 6%, probably the vast majority of it. And that is without factoring in any negatives or people wearing the mask incorrectly.

If everyone stayed home and social distanced that would stop the spread. This would be the result in a mathematical model, but look we have ever increasing infection rates. Why? Because controlled Lab or simplified formula results mean nothing when it comes to the the real world with real people who are so dumb they throw coronavirus parties


I see a glass is installed on the supermarket cashier area. If a barrier of sort is not useful, why would they be adding the glass barrier? If your argument is that people are doing it wrong, would the people who do it right would prevent the virus?

To me, I believe the mask is useful. It would definitely be useful when you are in crowed area, particularly in public transit. Even line up at supermarket would be useful, and use the sanitizer existing the store.


Really poor example but ill bite. If you had a piece of glass covering just your mouth and I sprayed a mist in front of you, does the mask stop the mist from going into your eyes and therefore body? Does it even create a perfect seal around your mouth? What if that spray was the virus and you had it on your hand, but now you touch your face more because of the mask?

I always said if worn correctly it would be of some, although minimal, benefit. But that is not what we have been debating.


For those who wear a mask and not washing the hands or use sanitizer? Oh come on, that totally does not make sense.

As for your eye, I wear a prescription glasses, and even if that is smaller than the piece of glass covering on the cashier, it would basically cover most part of me plus washing hands.

Your argument does not make sense to me, because you are thinking people who wear mask and do nothing else, but in reality, those who wears a mask would have wash their hands frequently.
CantStopTheRock
Junior
Posts: 332
And1: 154
Joined: Jun 25, 2007

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#628 » by CantStopTheRock » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:51 pm

Indeed wrote:
CantStopTheRock wrote:
Indeed wrote:
I see a glass is installed on the supermarket cashier area. If a barrier of sort is not useful, why would they be adding the glass barrier? If your argument is that people are doing it wrong, would the people who do it right would prevent the virus?

To me, I believe the mask is useful. It would definitely be useful when you are in crowed area, particularly in public transit. Even line up at supermarket would be useful, and use the sanitizer existing the store.


Really poor example but ill bite. If you had a piece of glass covering just your mouth and I sprayed a mist in front of you, does the mask stop the mist from going into your eyes and therefore body? Does it even create a perfect seal around your mouth? What if that spray was the virus and you had it on your hand, but now you touch your face more because of the mask?

I always said if worn correctly it would be of some, although minimal, benefit. But that is not what we have been debating.


For those who wear a mask and not washing the hands or use sanitizer? Oh come on, that totally does not make sense.

As for your eye, I wear a prescription glasses, and even if that is smaller than the piece of glass covering on the cashier, it would basically cover most part of me plus washing hands.

Your argument does not make sense to me, because you are thinking people who wear mask and do nothing else, but in reality, those who wears a mask would have wash their hands frequently.


Is this a joke? We are talking about masking the entire population.

What everyone wears glasses now? NO

Everyone that wears a mask makes sure they have perfectly clean hands? NO

I never said anything about people wearing masks and doing nothing else. You really need to learn to read.
AbC?
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,549
And1: 5,869
Joined: Feb 02, 2005
Location: Toronto

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#629 » by AbC? » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:35 pm

Once we're ready to end quarantine and resume normal activities, it should be law that you must wear a surgical mask whenever you are in public. Not to stop from getting it from others, but to ensure people that are positive don't spread it to others. Since symptoms aren't always present, the only safe way is to have everyone wear masks. Not 100% effective, but it will be enough to prevent another major surge in cases.

Masks and testing for everyone (for both the virus and antibodies) is how we overcome this.
Double Bubble
Rookie
Posts: 1,176
And1: 993
Joined: Mar 02, 2014
Location: spooning

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#630 » by Double Bubble » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:00 am

It will end when natural selection weeds out all the morons of our species, and those with genetics worth saving repopulate. Ironically situations such as this are nature’s way of trimming the fat from humanity’s genetics. If nothing else that will happen economically

I saw a woman in the grocery store yesterday who was shoving her cart around like the apocalypse was upon her, talking to herself in addition to random people in the store, screeching the wheels of her cart and literally just going in circles as if to say hello please commit me to a mental institution

I’m telling u guys not only is society ****ed but people are absolutely ****ed. Just imagine what will happen when a REAL crisis occurs. One that DOES disrupt the supply chain, energy sources, etc. Then watch these monkeys run around like chickens with their heads cut off. The majority of them are doomed if anything of the sort was to happen. U can’t fix stupid unfortunately, gotta breed them out and I hope it happens
User avatar
PD28
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,907
And1: 9,935
Joined: Jan 04, 2013
 

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#631 » by PD28 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:16 am

Giving me Dark Knight Joker vibes with this one lol
Double Bubble wrote:It will end when natural selection weeds out all the morons of our species, and those with genetics worth saving repopulate. Ironically situations such as this are nature’s way of trimming the fat from humanity’s genetics. If nothing else that will happen economically

I saw a woman in the grocery store yesterday who was shoving her cart around like the apocalypse was upon her, talking to herself in addition to random people in the store, screeching the wheels of her cart and literally just going in circles as if to say hello please commit me to a mental institution

I’m telling u guys not only is society ****ed but people are absolutely ****ed. Just imagine what will happen when a REAL crisis occurs. One that DOES disrupt the supply chain, energy sources, etc. Then watch these monkeys run around like chickens with their heads cut off. The majority of them are doomed if anything of the sort was to happen. U can’t fix stupid unfortunately, gotta breed them out and I hope it happens


Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using RealGM mobile app
Image
User avatar
Raps in 4
RealGM
Posts: 46,062
And1: 32,361
Joined: Nov 01, 2008
Location: Toronto
 

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#632 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:21 am

Double Bubble wrote:It will end when natural selection weeds out all the morons of our species, and those with genetics worth saving repopulate. Ironically situations such as this are nature’s way of trimming the fat from humanity’s genetics. If nothing else that will happen economically

I saw a woman in the grocery store yesterday who was shoving her cart around like the apocalypse was upon her, talking to herself in addition to random people in the store, screeching the wheels of her cart and literally just going in circles as if to say hello please commit me to a mental institution

I’m telling u guys not only is society ****ed but people are absolutely ****ed. Just imagine what will happen when a REAL crisis occurs. One that DOES disrupt the supply chain, energy sources, etc. Then watch these monkeys run around like chickens with their heads cut off. The majority of them are doomed if anything of the sort was to happen. U can’t fix stupid unfortunately, gotta breed them out and I hope it happens


Modern human society is too insulated to weed out the stupid via natural selection.

You occasionally get cases like this:

A Texas man died after shooting a firework off his chest Tuesday, becoming the second person killed by lighting a firework off his body this week.


https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/texas-man-dies-shooting-firework-chest-article-1.2285091

There was a case a few years ago of a teen who drowned after trying to walk under a small lake with a heavy boulder as part of a challenge (and was too stupid to let go in time when he started running out of air).

But these are one-off cases. You have to be monumentally stupid to get yourself killed in modern society.
User avatar
Indeed
RealGM
Posts: 14,672
And1: 948
Joined: Aug 21, 2009

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#633 » by Indeed » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:13 am

CantStopTheRock wrote:
Indeed wrote:
CantStopTheRock wrote:
Really poor example but ill bite. If you had a piece of glass covering just your mouth and I sprayed a mist in front of you, does the mask stop the mist from going into your eyes and therefore body? Does it even create a perfect seal around your mouth? What if that spray was the virus and you had it on your hand, but now you touch your face more because of the mask?

I always said if worn correctly it would be of some, although minimal, benefit. But that is not what we have been debating.


For those who wear a mask and not washing the hands or use sanitizer? Oh come on, that totally does not make sense.

As for your eye, I wear a prescription glasses, and even if that is smaller than the piece of glass covering on the cashier, it would basically cover most part of me plus washing hands.

Your argument does not make sense to me, because you are thinking people who wear mask and do nothing else, but in reality, those who wears a mask would have wash their hands frequently.


Is this a joke? We are talking about masking the entire population.

What everyone wears glasses now? NO

Everyone that wears a mask makes sure they have perfectly clean hands? NO

I never said anything about people wearing masks and doing nothing else. You really need to learn to read.


I think you are a joke, claiming prevention has to cover "Everyone" in order to be effective.
The trend between mass mask wearing countries seem to be having better result, while we can monitor another week, but I wouldn't dismiss the importance of using a mask.

https://imgur.com/a/MZ2mcOW#PbDwSy1
Image
User avatar
Gold Dragon
Veteran
Posts: 2,995
And1: 3,115
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
Location: Oz
 

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#634 » by Gold Dragon » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:54 am

If there was an unlimited supply, surgical masks would be recommended to everyone with the caveat that they provide only limited protection to the wearer. What they do well is protect everyone else from the wearer since that is what they were designed to do, to keep the surgeon/nurse from contaminating his/her open patient’s surgical site. Yes it does protect against blood splatter and large droplets from directly going in the mouth/nose but aerosolized virus filled droplets can easily go around the gaps and infect the wearer.

Because of shortages, they should be prioritized for sick patients and health care workers. Singapore gave 4 masks to every household and advised their use is for sick people. That may have helped minimize hoarding.

N95 masks should be prioritized for health care workers directly working with covid19 patients. They were designed to prevent occupational dust inhalation for industrial/construction workers but if fitted and sealed properly can also protect against viruses.
CantStopTheRock
Junior
Posts: 332
And1: 154
Joined: Jun 25, 2007

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#635 » by CantStopTheRock » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:29 am

Indeed wrote:
CantStopTheRock wrote:
Indeed wrote:
For those who wear a mask and not washing the hands or use sanitizer? Oh come on, that totally does not make sense.

As for your eye, I wear a prescription glasses, and even if that is smaller than the piece of glass covering on the cashier, it would basically cover most part of me plus washing hands.

Your argument does not make sense to me, because you are thinking people who wear mask and do nothing else, but in reality, those who wears a mask would have wash their hands frequently.


Is this a joke? We are talking about masking the entire population.

What everyone wears glasses now? NO

Everyone that wears a mask makes sure they have perfectly clean hands? NO

I never said anything about people wearing masks and doing nothing else. You really need to learn to read.


I think you are a joke, claiming prevention has to cover "Everyone" in order to be effective.
The trend between mass mask wearing countries seem to be having better result, while we can monitor another week, but I wouldn't dismiss the importance of using a mask.

https://imgur.com/a/MZ2mcOW#PbDwSy1
Image


Did you read any of the studies that were posted? No of course not. You instead use a single graph depicting current results of this outbreak and fail to recognize all the major contributing factors of WHY.
Testing? Not important
Tracking? Not important
Mandatory Quarantine? Not important
Enforcing of rules/citizens following? Not important
Oh it must just be masks that are causing it. The same masks many were already wearing and did not slow the initial outbreak? The outbreak slowed because of the protocols they put in place, mainly testing and tracking.

Even the pro mask studies that Courtside posted, most proved no negligible benefit and one demonstrated only a 6% improvement if 50% of the population wore them, that is if worn correctly, ignoring any negative factors (touching face) and versus Zero Maks worn. And I never said no one should wear a mask.

So considering the best use case is to mask the sick and HCW you might get what a whole 1-2% benefit and this is assuming everyone wears them correctly and there is ZERO negatives of wearing the masks. You really think that is with millions of masks? Maybe that money is better going into test kits, tracking measure, enforcing isolation, etc.

And for the last time the argument was about whether masking the majority of the population was effective as a whole vs only sick, HCW and special cases. I already said dozens of times, if you are wearing it correctly and are not touching your face more it would help a small amount
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 24,672
And1: 23,420
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#636 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:52 am

Someone tell me what is the deal with eggs... wy are there never eggs in stock...it can't be people stocking up on something so perishable is it? That would be so dumb.

But then I see zero Garlic left. The only thing that could be is people's superstition that garlic cures all that ails (pun intended). Same thing as vitamin C. So I really don't know if I should have any faith left in the masses.
User avatar
T-d0t
Head Coach
Posts: 6,135
And1: 10,139
Joined: Nov 08, 2012
Location: T-dot
       

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#637 » by T-d0t » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:06 am

Eggs from Shoppers are always available on the weekends. They've put a limit of 2 dozen per customer
Oakville_Raptor
Head Coach
Posts: 6,324
And1: 3,246
Joined: Feb 20, 2008
Location: Oakville, ON
         

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#638 » by Oakville_Raptor » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:31 am

Johnny Bball wrote:Someone tell me what is the deal with eggs... wy are there never eggs in stock...it can't be people stocking up on something so perishable is it? That would be so dumb.

But then I see zero Garlic left. The only thing that could be is people's superstition that garlic cures all that ails (pun intended). Same thing as vitamin C. So I really don't know if I should have any faith left in the masses.


For the past couple weeks shopping at grocery stores I've noticed what seems to be customers basically buying things for the hell of it even if they don't need it...we're living in a world full of morons at the moment.
Image
User avatar
Westside Gunn
Analyst
Posts: 3,250
And1: 4,175
Joined: Jul 03, 2016
       

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#639 » by Westside Gunn » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:55 am

there are **** i know that are just hoarding on foodstuffs just because. and then they still end up doing take out two three times a day. like why are you grocery hoarding every other day and still doing take out? the fomo mentality is ****

this **** reminds me of the purge, where in the ending you know now who exactly is a POS and who isnt.

i hope to god people are freezing these eggs, cuz if they arent, they are just wasting food that someone couldve had. the 24 hour metro in central mississauga had a limit of 2, but i can see the scum **** getting around the rules.

im actually glad im living through this. huge life lessons.
fiend hit the pipe one time, did the dougie
User avatar
PD28
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,907
And1: 9,935
Joined: Jan 04, 2013
 

Re: OT: Panic Buying. When Will it End? 

Post#640 » by PD28 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:16 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Someone tell me what is the deal with eggs... wy are there never eggs in stock...it can't be people stocking up on something so perishable is it? That would be so dumb.

But then I see zero Garlic left. The only thing that could be is people's superstition that garlic cures all that ails (pun intended). Same thing as vitamin C. So I really don't know if I should have any faith left in the masses.


Not sure where you are but Markham grocery stores have had eggs for weeks.
Image

Return to Toronto Raptors