ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Moderators: niQ, Patman, pbj, Alfred, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Rhettmatic

Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 52,872
And1: 16,912
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1001 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:45 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
Bomboclot416 wrote:The US has a total of roughly 2.5mil people testing positive for Covid. Roughly 124k have died. Very tragic. Let's conservatively say that the number of people infected is 4 times higher that what the actual positive number is. Scientists agree that the factor of people infected is likely much higher but let's be conservative for the sake of argument.


124k is absolutely an under count of Covid related deaths. The US was at around 122k excess deaths at the beginning of June, with lots of big spikes in pneumonia related deaths, for example. So if you're going to bump up infections, you also need to bump up deaths, since scientists agree that the factor of people dead is likely much higher than what is officially reported.


The scientists opinion on cause of death is irrelevant. Unless they performed their own detailed full autopsies on every death, which they of course did not. The death number is an estimate only even at this stage of the crisis. Hospitals recorded cause of death is simply best guess even in normal times. Its not random that death stats spike on Tuesdays.


Thank you, that was very helpful. The best possible estimates we have are that there are more than 124k people that have died in the united states from Covid 19.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Pointgod
General Manager
Posts: 9,191
And1: 8,925
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1002 » by Pointgod » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:20 pm

Bomboclot416 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Bomboclot416 wrote:
Let's look at the facts instead of letting our feelings drive the truth.

1. The world health organization and many scholars, epidemiologists and experts refer to Covid as mild and not much of a threat
2. Numbers begin increasing in China
3. Trump is being impeached and the focus is on burning him at the stake, not focusing on this pathogen wreaking havoc across the world
4. Trump found not guilty, closes border to China and is called a racist for doing so
5. The data tells us that the morbidity from Covid for people under 60 is very low, infact, many people present as asymptomatic (not even knowing they are sick)
5. The panickers and media create a storm of propaganda where stores start selling out of goods and the goverments across the world look down their countries to stop the spread of the disease so that we can "flatten the curve" so that hospitals aren't overwelhmed with sick people.....even though like 95% of people are asymptomatic
6. People sit at home, the US mobilizes testing. The numbers grow exponentially. Even with this being said, studies have shown they believe the amount of people that have actually had COVID is a factor of to 50 to 70 times higher then what current testing shows. These people just don't get tested because there aren't enough tests or they don't realize they are even sick
7. Now, the US and Canada change their tune that the only salivation comes at the form of a vaccine....so hold on, this virus may infect you without you even knowing you are sick, you won't exhibit any symptoms, but you must get the vaccine....many more people will die from being poor and the associated health issues as a result of being poor like poorer quality food, no home, mental health etc....
8. People realize that this is all ludicrous and start protesting to open things up. CNN and other leftists mock them for being out with no masks and that they aren't good citizens and will spread the virus, but no mention of this for the mast protests occuring now....infact someone referenced an article about a study done saying that the protests have reduced the transmission.....GIMME A BREAK. What a hyprocisy.

This world is going to hell in a handbasket, with everyone thinking their feelings are the truth and not looking at facts. Wake up people this is all absolutely ridiculous


Next time save posters time and just add a warning that everything you’re about to post is pure bull. Funny you claim to talk about facts but your post is very light on any factual content.


Again, another example of rude derogatory comments with no effort to show where my comments are incorrect. Do some research instead of being a jerk and maybe you'd learn something. Are did mommy tell you great job every time even when you said something stupid. The world doesn't want your nonsense, use facts.


You’ve actually presented zero research or facts in your arguments. It’s laughable that you tell me to do research when your argument boils down to “Trump shouldn’t be held accountable for anything”
User avatar
ItsDanger
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,172
And1: 1,960
Joined: Nov 01, 2008

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1003 » by ItsDanger » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:56 pm

Inter provincial travel was very limited in Canada. In the US which has a different federal system, interstate travel was still largely open. That is the key difference between Canada and US.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
User avatar
Kevin Willis
General Manager
Posts: 9,657
And1: 5,834
Joined: Apr 17, 2009
       

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1004 » by Kevin Willis » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:17 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Inter provincial travel was very limited in Canada. In the US which has a different federal system, interstate travel was still largely open. That is the key difference between Canada and US.


Definitely - among other things. The federal response in Canada and the US could've been better but the emergency package given by Canada was more comprehensive. It allowed more people the opportunity to stay home longer. In the US many of their citizens feel compelled to get back to work as soon as possible to support themselves. Also the universal healthcare was a big difference. In Canada they don't have to worry about the bills so much. In the US many can't afford to go to hospital which could be fatal and if they do, they have a bill which would make them want to get back to work sooner. And we're not as densely populated.
Perhaps he is hated because he is a narcissist, pathological liar, incapable of decent human emotions, incapable of running an organization such as a government. He incites racial hatred, doesn't know how to handle a crisis - I'll stop there.
User avatar
Jcity08
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,429
And1: 5,621
Joined: May 06, 2018
       

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1005 » by Jcity08 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:46 pm

I feel like people who haven't been affected in some way, look at this pandemic casually and make flippant statements towards people that are taking this seriously. I had to bury a family member a few weeks back from the virus(she died of an infection during the treatment of the virus itself), I dont like talking about my own personal loss on a public forum but it feels like people not just on this board are handwaving the deaths because it doesnt affect them.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
Posts: 13,665
And1: 12,023
Joined: Feb 20, 2017

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1006 » by RaptorsNorth » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:49 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Inter provincial travel was very limited in Canada. In the US which has a different federal system, interstate travel was still largely open. That is the key difference between Canada and US.


Definitely - among other things. The federal response in Canada and the US could've been better but the emergency package given by Canada was more comprehensive. It allowed more people the opportunity to stay home longer. In the US many of their citizens feel compelled to get back to work as soon as possible to support themselves. Also the universal healthcare was a big difference. In Canada they don't have to worry about the bills so much. In the US many can't afford to go to hospital which could be fatal and if they do, they have a bill which would make them want to get back to work sooner. And we're not as densely populated.
thats not just it. The US plays politics with everything and I do mean everything. Mass shooting, terrorist attacks, national pandemic ect. It doesn’t matter how sad the the incident is because they see it as something they can use to play politics and they have their news networks to push their politics. It doesn’t matter if it’s republican or Democrats they need constant division for their gain and this happens around the world too but it’s at another level in the US. They will use race, religion, sex, and anything that fits their agenda for political gain. There’s always politics being used and one political party Will go 1 way and the other will go the other way to constantly create division for their political benefit instead of coming together to protect the lives of the citizens in the US during a serious pandemic. The US is all politics 24/7 and Lots of republicans simply didn't take covid 19 seriously and thats what was told to them by some of their leaders so they were flooding beaches while in the heart of the pandemic and also all the protests didn’t help with covid 19. Trump never really took the whole thing seriously and said it was a hoax from the jump. If it wasn’t from pressure he would have never shut down to begin with. certain states also rushed their reopening and thats why they’re where they are today. It’s because poor leadership and bad decisions and thats not even arguable! If you’re even trying to argue that then don’t waste your time because...

Image
Woj Kyle "Stargazer" Lowry named CEO of Brick Bro's brand and Big Fat Burritos

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
User avatar
Kevin Willis
General Manager
Posts: 9,657
And1: 5,834
Joined: Apr 17, 2009
       

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1007 » by Kevin Willis » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:24 pm

RaptorsNorth wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Inter provincial travel was very limited in Canada. In the US which has a different federal system, interstate travel was still largely open. That is the key difference between Canada and US.


Definitely - among other things. The federal response in Canada and the US could've been better but the emergency package given by Canada was more comprehensive. It allowed more people the opportunity to stay home longer. In the US many of their citizens feel compelled to get back to work as soon as possible to support themselves. Also the universal healthcare was a big difference. In Canada they don't have to worry about the bills so much. In the US many can't afford to go to hospital which could be fatal and if they do, they have a bill which would make them want to get back to work sooner. And we're not as densely populated.
thats not just it. The US plays politics with everything and I do mean everything. Mass shooting, terrorist attacks, national pandemic ect. It doesn’t matter how sad the the incident is because they see it as something they can use to play politics and they have their news networks to push their politics. It doesn’t matter if it’s republican or Democrats they need constant division for their gain and this happens around the world too but it’s at another level in the US. They will use race, religion, sex, and anything that fits their agenda for political gain. There’s always politics being used and one political party Will go 1 way and the other will go the other way to constantly create division for their political benefit instead of coming together to protect the lives of the citizens in the US during a serious pandemic. The US is all politics 24/7 and Lots of republicans simply didn't take covid 19 seriously and thats what was told to them by some of their leaders so they were flooding beaches while in the heart of the pandemic and also all the protests didn’t help with covid 19. Trump never really took the whole thing seriously and said it was a hoax from the jump. If it wasn’t from pressure he would have never shut down to begin with. certain states also rushed their reopening and thats why they’re where they are today. It’s because poor leadership and bad decisions and thats not even arguable! If you’re even trying to argue that then don’t waste your time because...

Image


Trying to leave politics out of this. Looking at facts, action and the result of those actions outside of political lines.
Perhaps he is hated because he is a narcissist, pathological liar, incapable of decent human emotions, incapable of running an organization such as a government. He incites racial hatred, doesn't know how to handle a crisis - I'll stop there.
bballsparkin
Head Coach
Posts: 6,917
And1: 5,619
Joined: Mar 03, 2009

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1008 » by bballsparkin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:50 pm

mtcan wrote:I'll take Biden over Trump any day. There is no comparison.


They're both chumps. This is the "best" the Democrats can come up with. A geriatric walking gaffe machine? Both have reportedly made women uncomfortable in multiple situations.

Before he became Barack Obama’s running mate, he took a shot at America’s soon-to-be first black president that was just dripping in racism. Per Biden:

“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy.”

Biden went on The Daily Show and apologized for using the word “clean,” saying he should have opted for the word “fresh.” He did not address the “articulate” part of his statement, which is a classic racist backhanded compliment that typically conveys a sense of surprise that a black person can speak clearly and with gravita


https://www.pastemagazine.com/politics/joe-biden/the-10-worst-things-joe-biden-has-done-in-his-poli/#5-he-voted-to-gut-welfare

He's a fatcat and part of the problem. The only thing he has going for him is that he's not Trump. I'll pass on both of them and think it's pretty sad that one will win. I mean yeah I'll take Biden over Trump too. I guess. It's not like there is any choice.
bballsparkin
Head Coach
Posts: 6,917
And1: 5,619
Joined: Mar 03, 2009

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1009 » by bballsparkin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:50 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:With Trump we get "the corrupt and incompetent federal response". Is this guy any better?


Yes, Biden is significantly better. A houseplant would be significantly better, just by the fact it wouldn't be actively making things worse by design.

Glad I could help.


I'll take the houseplant. Thanks.
bballsparkin
Head Coach
Posts: 6,917
And1: 5,619
Joined: Mar 03, 2009

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1010 » by bballsparkin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:55 pm

djsunyc wrote:
wha? how can the handling of covid not make you see just how trump is the worst president ever?


Did I say he was not? Frankly I wonder if he has dementia. Biden is not the answer is my point. But he's what the stale corrupt Democratic party has produced. The only reason we are having this conversation is because he was the VP of Obama. If I was a voter in the US I'd vote independent. And I've felt that way for a long time.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 52,872
And1: 16,912
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1011 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:55 pm

bballsparkin wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:With Trump we get "the corrupt and incompetent federal response". Is this guy any better?


Yes, Biden is significantly better. A houseplant would be significantly better, just by the fact it wouldn't be actively making things worse by design.

Glad I could help.


I'll take the houseplant. Thanks.


I'll let you know when it's on the ballot. In the meantime, you can vote for the actual option that is significantly better than Trump.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
bballsparkin
Head Coach
Posts: 6,917
And1: 5,619
Joined: Mar 03, 2009

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1012 » by bballsparkin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:15 pm

^^Yeah and I disagree. They're both talking heads that represent parties completely out of touch with the people. I mean the Democrats couldn't even develop and pick someone who has a good chance of winning. There is no way Trump should have a chance at winning again. Run him against Biden though and he just might. Either way, after the election I know I'll be watching a leader who can't keep his foot out of his mouth.
Pointgod
General Manager
Posts: 9,191
And1: 8,925
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1013 » by Pointgod » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:32 pm

bballsparkin wrote:^^Yeah and I disagree. They're both talking heads that represent parties completely out of touch with the people. I mean the Democrats couldn't even develop and pick someone who has a good chance of winning. There is no way Trump should have a chance at winning again. Run him against Biden though and he just might. Either way, after the election I know I'll be watching a leader who can't keep his foot out of his mouth.


Do you have any idea how Primaries work in the US? And tell me what you don’t like about Biden from a personal and policy standpoint? The way you talk, it sounds like you get your opinion from YouTube videos and Facebook memes.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 52,872
And1: 16,912
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1014 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:44 pm

bballsparkin wrote:They're both talking heads that represent parties completely out of touch with the people.

Not according to issue specific polls.

bballsparkin wrote: I mean the Democrats couldn't even develop and pick someone who has a good chance of winning.

Not according to polls.

bballsparkin wrote: There is no way Trump should have a chance at winning again.

That just means you don't understand the US 2 party system. He could strangle a puppy on live TV and get 40% of the vote.

bballsparkin wrote:Either way, after the election I know I'll be watching a leader who can't keep his foot out of his mouth.

But one of them will put forward policies that actually help people, and the other will sign executive orders relaxing the rules on how much mercury can be dumped into rivers. So no, they aren't the same.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
bballsparkin
Head Coach
Posts: 6,917
And1: 5,619
Joined: Mar 03, 2009

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1015 » by bballsparkin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:15 pm

Pointgod wrote:Do you have any idea how Primaries work in the US? And tell me what you don’t like about Biden from a personal and policy standpoint? The way you talk, it sounds like you get your opinion from YouTube videos and Facebook memes.


I have a pretty limited understanding the way US elections work. No denying that. It seems very different from here. Delegates, super-delegates and such.

Himself personally, he's probably alright to have a beer with. He's not a typical tight ass politician. I don't like him as the next President. And I doubt many voters will either. Is he better than Trump? Can he be worse? Not at home in the US he couldn't. Trump is as divisive as it gets. They can get worse internationally though. Democrats like to talk all progressive and considerate before they go bombing for oil and uprooting regimes for change.

So, I'll restate my position. I can't state if I was in the US I would not vote for either as a definite statement. Considering I'm not rich, maybe I would vote Biden. His purported policies represent my views more than Trump's. So as a voter I'd be looking to vote for someone who is more likely to benefit myself, my family and my ideals. To me, Biden is playing the role of "good cop", so that's probably the guy making offers to benefit myself.

Hey, I hope he wins. We already know what Trump has to offer. Now lets see Biden **** it up. I don't think either is at all Presidential and that view is not likely to change.

edit: And I'm surprised more people aren't bothered by his son's position within the Ukraine's energy company. That is shady as hell.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 52,872
And1: 16,912
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1016 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:22 pm

bballsparkin wrote:Democrats like to talk all progressive and considerate before they go bombing for oil and uprooting regimes for change.


Yes, the democrats. Well known for bombing for oil and uprooting regimes for change.

The democrats.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 52,872
And1: 16,912
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1017 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:23 pm

bballsparkin wrote:edit: And I'm surprised more people aren't bothered by his son's position within the Ukraine's energy company. That is shady as hell.


I have some bad news about every single board in existence.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
bballsparkin
Head Coach
Posts: 6,917
And1: 5,619
Joined: Mar 03, 2009

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1018 » by bballsparkin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:40 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:They're both talking heads that represent parties completely out of touch with the people.

Not according to issue specific polls.

bballsparkin wrote: I mean the Democrats couldn't even develop and pick someone who has a good chance of winning.

Not according to polls.

bballsparkin wrote: There is no way Trump should have a chance at winning again.

That just means you don't understand the US 2 party system. He could strangle a puppy on live TV and get 40% of the vote.

bballsparkin wrote:Either way, after the election I know I'll be watching a leader who can't keep his foot out of his mouth.

But one of them will put forward policies that actually help people, and the other will sign executive orders relaxing the rules on how much mercury can be dumped into rivers. So no, they aren't the same.


Polls are iffy at best. We shall see. As to your quote about strangling a puppy on TV and still getting 40% of the vote. Lol, that's probably true. He's got that guaranteed vote. Similar to the Ford's here in Etobicoke. Which is why I don't feel Biden is the right guy. He's very meh. Has a spotty track record and is not articulate at all.

As to your last point, yes Trump's track record on environmental protection is ****. Not like the Democrats come out shining either. Wasn't Obama President during the Flint water fiasco? Like I said in the post above, if I had too chose between these two sad choices, sure I'd probably vote Biden. But I think he is a bad choice to run against Trump and shows how far the Democrats have fallen.
bballsparkin
Head Coach
Posts: 6,917
And1: 5,619
Joined: Mar 03, 2009

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1019 » by bballsparkin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:41 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:

Yes, the democrats. Well known for bombing for oil and uprooting regimes for change.

The democrats.


That's the point. It doesn't matter who wins. Business as usual internationally.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 52,872
And1: 16,912
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#1020 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 pm

bballsparkin wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Yes, the democrats. Well known for bombing for oil and uprooting regimes for change.

The democrats.


That's the point. It doesn't matter who wins. Business as usual internationally.


My point was that your assertion was just very strange.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.

Return to Toronto Raptors