ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

RealGM
And1: 66,480

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#21 » by 720 » Mon Apr 6, 2020 12:13 am

I'm one of those people that don't qualify for EI or CERB. So like idk what to do for money at this point. I have some savings, but I might have to go find a part time job to work. Since my full time job atm laid everyone off. I'm just living off my savings to get by.

So aside from money issues nothing personally has been bad regarding the actual disease itself.
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,505

Post#22 » by RaptorPride » Mon Apr 6, 2020 12:15 am

720 wrote:I'm one of those people that don't qualify for EI or CERB. So like idk what to do for money at this point. I have some saving, but I might have to go find a part time job to work. Since my full time job atm laid everyone off.

So aside from money issues nothing personally has been bad regarding the actual disease itself.

If you got laid off you should be able to get it.
Spoiler:

RealGM

Post#23 » by 720 » Mon Apr 6, 2020 12:18 am

RaptorPride wrote:
720 wrote:I'm one of those people that don't qualify for EI or CERB. So like idk what to do for money at this point. I have some saving, but I might have to go find a part time job to work. Since my full time job atm laid everyone off.

Nah, because I was a student for most of the last 12 months, I didn't work then. I only started working and getting money for about the last 2 and a half months or so. Before that I was living off of grant and scholarship money. You need like 5 grand from the last 12 months. I made around 4.5 thousand. So I am 500 dollars below the requirement.
CantStopTheRock
Junior
And1: 158

Post#24 » by CantStopTheRock » Mon Apr 6, 2020 12:28 am

RaptorPride wrote:
TD2FutureStar wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:

I lost a lot of money in crypto in the past. Far too many scams and dramatic swings to invest your hard earned money into. You would be better served Investing in brick and mortar right now.

Which crypto did you lose money on?

Would have lost pretty much in anything depending on the timing, except for a few like chain link.

At its peak the amount of scams were insane, but some of it was the fault of user to not research the project and just saw green.

No transparency, no GitHub commits, no community, just copied code with no use case having a 10 million plus market cap, it was insane.

I got screwed by quadrigacx exchange getting locked out.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#25 » by Hero » Mon Apr 6, 2020 12:32 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
execoftheyear wrote:Why it's a good idea to wear a mask

https://vimeo.com/402577241

Great video. It's mind-boggling how anyone can deny the effectiveness of masks.

What about the availability to the general public.
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,505

Post#26 » by RaptorPride » Mon Apr 6, 2020 12:42 am

CantStopTheRock wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:
TD2FutureStar wrote:I lost a lot of money in crypto in the past. Far too many scams and dramatic swings to invest your hard earned money into. You would be better served Investing in brick and mortar right now.

Would have lost pretty much in anything depending on the timing, except for a few like chain link.

At its peak the amount of scams were insane, but some of it was the fault of user to not research the project and just saw green.

No transparency, no GitHub commits, no community, just copied code with no use case having a 10 million plus market cap, it was insane.

Stick to bitcoin if you don't any better. And it's only a loss until you sell. Don't put in money tryna make a quick buck. Learn what bitcoin is and invest in the future of the technology. I still think bitcoin will still go down in the near term but long run it is gonna go up a lot. People who have had bad experiences with it are gonna think the whole thing is ****. They need to learn what it is and what the point of it is. I have lost money to but I take that as a lesson and learn from what I did. Just cause people don't know how to trade and research before investing doesn't make it bad.
Spoiler:

wayoftheroad
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,809

Post#27 » by wayoftheroad » Mon Apr 6, 2020 12:52 am

720 wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:

Nah, because I was a student for most of the last 12 months, I didn't work then. I only started working and getting money for about the last 2 and a half months or so. Before that I was living off of grant and scholarship money. You need like 5 grand from the last 12 months. I made around 4.5 thousand. So I am 500 dollars below the requirement.

You might still get something cuz there are alot of students in ur situation, but I mentioned before too that I know some ppl who are older not in school and didnt make the minimum $5k either and they are screwed. Government should make a Universal benefit-make it less than the $2000 but at least help out somewhat
execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,171

Post#28 » by execoftheyear » Mon Apr 6, 2020 1:03 am

Hero wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

My brother just ordered a pack of like 50 surgical masks on amazon so they aren’t difficult to get. If anything you can just make them yourself. You don’t really need the medical ones, there’s plenty of tutorials on youtube for diy masks.

There’s ones you can sew but those obviously require more skill and a sewing machine
RealGM

Post#29 » by 720 » Mon Apr 6, 2020 1:07 am

wayoftheroad wrote:
720 wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:If you got laid off you should be able to get it.

You might still get something cuz there are alot of students in ur situation, but I mentioned before too that I know some ppl who are older not in school and didnt make the minimum $5k either and they are screwed. Government should make a Universal benefit-make it less than the $2000 but at least help out somewhat

Yeah dude, and I was getting my second degree. I'm 27 years old. It's not like I am a 22 year old that just finished uni. Sorta sucks but what can I do. This government doesn't care about us adults that made/make very little money. I guess it's because we're not a reliable voter base.
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,369

Post#30 » by TD2FutureStar » Mon Apr 6, 2020 1:19 am

RaptorPride wrote:
TD2FutureStar wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:

I lost a lot of money in crypto in the past. Far too many scams and dramatic swings to invest your hard earned money into. You would be better served Investing in brick and mortar right now.

You probably got in at the all-time high which is always a bad time to invest in anything. And in bitcoin your investing for the future not to make gains in the short term. You see bitcoin unlike cash has a set limit of 21 million. Which has to be mined ( lots of computing power and electricity is used) unlike what's being done right now with cash. Making it impossible to make more out of nowhere. It is backed by the blockchain which is decentralized which means there is no one person in control but many people running a ledger that is open to the public and verified by all the miners.

I know all about the crypto market, but thanks for the explanation. I didnt get in at the top, but I also didn't sell when I should have (few did). The market has been bear for 2 years give or take now and very few are making money beside the professional swing traders. I tried day trading, but learned real quickly the markets are too manipulated to ever make a consistent profit.

If I were to do it over again I'd probably have just bought Bitcoin only, near one of the lows, and held it long term on a cold storage wallet. You can't trust any of the crypto exchanges (hacks, stolen funds, etc) and it's still way too difficult to buy and sell Bitcoin for the average person to even consider doing it.

I do know there are some success stories for people that are in crypto, but for every successful story there are a hundred others that lost way more than they gained. It's a space that's more akin to gamblers than investors. Nearly all the other cryptocurrencies out there besides BTC are a scam. Basically the entire space is fraudulent and a great way to lose a lot of money. Caveat emptor.
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by TD2FutureStar » Mon Apr 6, 2020 1:32 am

CantStopTheRock wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:
TD2FutureStar wrote:I lost a lot of money in crypto in the past. Far too many scams and dramatic swings to invest your hard earned money into. You would be better served Investing in brick and mortar right now.

Same, the Quadriga scam took a good chunk of my funds. Doubt I'll ever see a dime even with litigation.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,637

Post#32 » by C_Money » Mon Apr 6, 2020 1:33 am

Raps in 4 wrote:

Where the hell do you get them though? There aren’t any.
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by TD2FutureStar » Mon Apr 6, 2020 1:37 am

execoftheyear wrote:
Hero wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

My brother just ordered a pack of like 50 surgical masks on amazon so they aren’t difficult to get. If anything you can just make them yourself. You don’t really need the medical ones, there’s plenty of tutorials on youtube for diy masks.

There’s ones you can sew but those obviously require more skill and a sewing machine

Are the masks N95? I have a few R95 painters masks left over from a DIY project. I think they are just as good or better than the N95.
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by TD2FutureStar » Mon Apr 6, 2020 1:39 am

C_Money wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

I think wearing a rag around your face is better than no protection at all. Wish more people would wear something while shopping, but it's rare to see out where I live.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,755

Post#35 » by Badonkadonk » Mon Apr 6, 2020 2:06 am

TD2FutureStar wrote:
C_Money wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

I think wearing a rag around your face is better than no protection at all. Wish more people would wear something while shopping, but it's rare to see out where I live.

We made some. Family of four, tons of guides out there and yes, something is better than nothing.

One aspect of this pandemic that doesn't get talked about much is that the viral load matters. If a concentrated amount of the virus makes its way to your respiratory tract, you'll be in much worse shape than if you're exposed minimally. Any kind of protection helps.
execoftheyear
Analyst

Post#36 » by execoftheyear » Mon Apr 6, 2020 2:35 am

TD2FutureStar wrote:
execoftheyear wrote:
Hero wrote:

Are the masks N95? I have a few R95 painters masks left over from a DIY project. I think they are just as good or better than the N95.

it's the regular disposable surgical masks that usually come in blue. Those are sufficient enough. I have a few n95's but those are the ones that are expensive and hard to find but really you don't need them. I would save the n95 masks for when you really need them (like having to go to a hospital) and just use the regular surgical masks. Not too sure about R95's but I'm guessing they'd be good enough to protect you at say a grocery store. Going to the hospital is really the only place you should be worried about (aside from airports but you shouldn't be travelling anyway during this time)
execoftheyear
Analyst

Post#37 » by execoftheyear » Mon Apr 6, 2020 2:42 am

Badonkadonk wrote:
TD2FutureStar wrote:
C_Money wrote:

We made some. Family of four, tons of guides out there and yes, something is better than nothing.

One aspect of this pandemic that doesn't get talked about much is that the viral load matters. If a concentrated amount of the virus makes its way to your respiratory tract, you'll be in much worse shape than if you're exposed minimally. Any kind of protection helps.

this. The more of the virus you get in your system, the worse it's going to be because your immune system will have to fight off more of the virus all while the virus replicates itself. If you only get a small amount of the virus initially, your immune system will have an easier time fighting it off and you will most likely experience mild symptoms.

That's why health care workers are at high risk and need all that protection, they're the ones getting more exposure to higher viral loads.

There's actually doctor (forget who or where) that suggested injecting the virus in small amounts into healthy low-risk subjects so that they can develop antibodies and gain immunity.
CantStopTheRock
Junior

Post#38 » by CantStopTheRock » Mon Apr 6, 2020 2:45 am

RaptorPride wrote:
CantStopTheRock wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:Which crypto did you lose money on?

Stick to bitcoin if you don't any better. And it's only a loss until you sell. Don't put in money tryna make a quick buck. Learn what bitcoin is and invest in the future of the technology. I still think bitcoin will still go down in the near term but long run it is gonna go up a lot. People who have had bad experiences with it are gonna think the whole thing is ****. They need to learn what it is and what the point of it is. I have lost money to but I take that as a lesson and learn from what I did. Just cause people don't know how to trade and research before investing doesn't make it bad.

I still have some BTC but not much. I was lucky enough to get into Neo when it was still antshares. Have Eos, eth, ada, xlm, vechain, chain link, Divi, trac. I'm not down, but I wish I sold some at the top but I sorta was unlucky because I had everything in cold storage and I was traveling for awhile so I couldn't trade it.

I used to mine way back in the day. I kick myself because I stopped and that hard drive probably had a few grand on it but it was only a few bucks back then

It blows that you can't trust exchanges especially with these random flash crashes. Otherwise I would leave it on all the time with a stop loss.

I'm not too worried as it is a long term play anyways, but sucks seeing your profit tank and there is nothing you can do about it
CantStopTheRock
Junior

Post#39 » by CantStopTheRock » Mon Apr 6, 2020 2:57 am

execoftheyear wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:
TD2FutureStar wrote:I think wearing a rag around your face is better than no protection at all. Wish more people would wear something while shopping, but it's rare to see out where I live.

this. The more of the virus you get in your system, the worse it's going to be because your immune system will have to fight off more of the virus all while the virus replicates itself. If you only get a small amount of the virus initially, your immune system will have an easier time fighting it off and you will most likely experience mild symptoms.

That's why health care workers are at high risk and need all that protection, they're the ones getting more exposure to higher viral loads.

There's actually doctor (forget who or where) that suggested injecting the virus in small amounts into healthy low-risk subjects so that they can develop antibodies and gain immunity.

They did that before vaccines, to minimize effects of viruses like small pox
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,000

Post#40 » by NinjaBro » Mon Apr 6, 2020 3:05 am

One of the youtube guys that I subscribe to (it's a cooking channel for authentic chinese food) just posted a video from inside a wet market from Wuhan. He lives in China and gives us a close look on what it's really like inside one of these things. No BS and clickbait.

Return to Toronto Raptors