ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

MegiMK
Sophomore
And1: 457

Re: Official Covid-19 Discussion Thread 

Post#61 » by MegiMK » Tue Apr 7, 2020 6:52 pm

B-Ball Freak wrote:
yogimvp wrote:its over 30 degrees in new orleans and they are still getting slammed by the virus.

Stupidity > Sun in this case.

That’s what happens when you throw a party for several million people in a pandemic.

Also, Louisiana is 49th on the list of States when it comes to general health levels. Many people live all their life with untreated chronic health issues due to lack of insurance/access to health care. Highest numbers of diabetes and clinical obesity in the Nation - both are considered “underlying health conditions”.

It’s never just one thing.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#62 » by B-Ball Freak » Tue Apr 7, 2020 6:56 pm

MegiMK wrote:
B-Ball Freak wrote:
yogimvp wrote:its over 30 degrees in new orleans and they are still getting slammed by the virus.

Stupidity > Sun in this case.

That’s what happens when you throw a party for several million people in a pandemic.

Also, Louisiana is 49th on the list of States when it comes to general health levels. Many people live all their life with untreated chronic health issues due to lack of insurance/access to health care. Highest numbers of diabetes and clinical obesity in the Nation - both are considered “underlying health conditions”.

It’s never just one thing.

Yeah they are saying the Mardi Gras fueled the outbreak in N.O.
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 41,997

Post#63 » by NinjaBro » Tue Apr 7, 2020 7:31 pm

raptor jesus wrote:
NinjaBro wrote:One of the youtube guys that I subscribe to (it's a cooking channel for authentic chinese food) just posted a video from inside a wet market from Wuhan. He lives in China and gives us a close look on what it's really like inside one of these things. No BS and clickbait.

I don't claim to know the origin of this thing; we may never truly know. What I do know: this guy's argument is frankly ignorant. He uses a single point of reference to bolster his clearly biased conclusion. This absolutely is BS and clickbait.

He clearly states that this is what an average wet market in China looks like. It's essentially a farmer's market. What's BS and clickbait is the media in the west showing a distorted view of what westerners think all these wet markets look like (ie all selling bats, exotic cats etc in filthy conditions). The author is both American and has a chinese wife so he knows both cultures quite well. I'd rather trust someone who has real life experiences in both countries than the crap you watch on Fox News and CNN.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,138

Post#64 » by gp2015 » Tue Apr 7, 2020 8:03 pm

1800 new deaths in the U.S and 1400 in France just today. Horrible.

Edit: Now 1800.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
B-Ball Freak
RealGM

Post#65 » by B-Ball Freak » Tue Apr 7, 2020 8:20 pm

gp2015 wrote:1600 new deaths in the U.S and 1400 in France just today. Horrible.

Jeez, France might turn out worse than Italy, so sad.
gp2015
RealGM

Post#66 » by gp2015 » Tue Apr 7, 2020 9:18 pm

B-Ball Freak wrote:
gp2015 wrote:1600 new deaths in the U.S and 1400 in France just today. Horrible.

I thought Italy was bad, France may be even worse.

And US will undoubtedly top them all by a large amount due to population alone.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
B-Ball Freak
RealGM

Post#67 » by B-Ball Freak » Tue Apr 7, 2020 9:20 pm

gp2015 wrote:
B-Ball Freak wrote:

Yeah, US total numbers will be at the top just because of sheer population size but goddamn France is getting hammered even worse than Italy did, hopefully they see a drop off soon.
gp2015
RealGM

Post#68 » by gp2015 » Tue Apr 7, 2020 9:25 pm

B-Ball Freak wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
B-Ball Freak wrote:

Yeah, US total numbers will be at the top just because of sheer population size but goddamn France is getting hammered even worse than Italy did, hopefully they see a drop off soon.

Yes, at the worst, Italy had about 900 deaths in a single day and at least it seems to have already hit a peak.

1400 in a single day for France for their population is really bad and they may not have hit the peak yet.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,144

Post#69 » by xAIRNESSx » Tue Apr 7, 2020 9:36 pm

7000 global deaths today. More than 1000 more than the previous high for a single day.
MegiMK
Sophomore
And1: 457

Post#70 » by MegiMK » Tue Apr 7, 2020 9:37 pm

I grew up in France so it pains me to see this. Any chance people over there stop thinking of smoking since your early teens as cool and sexy? Probably not.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,077

Post#71 » by Westside Gunn » Tue Apr 7, 2020 11:02 pm

warmer weather doesnt do anything. iran is hot af in some places. saudi arabia is effing hot and they are seeing an increase in cases daily. they have 24 hour curfews set in place i believe
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
VintageVince
Rookie
And1: 926

Post#72 » by VintageVince » Wed Apr 8, 2020 12:30 am

Westside Gunn wrote:warmer weather doesnt do anything. iran is hot af in some places. saudi arabia is effing hot and they are seeing an increase in cases daily. they have 24 hour curfews set in place i believe

Iran is hot "in some places", but they have a lot of places that isn't so hot, so that doesn't really help.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/ir/iran-weather

Saudi Arabia is only at 2.7k cases, India with a population of 1.3billion (Condensed AF) is only at 5k cases

Warmer weather won't get "Rid" of the virus, but it surely will help. People need to be smarter too.

It's a proven fact that the virus lives on surfaces for a lot less time and dies faster if the weather is warmer. Just going from 68 F to 86F makes the virus live half its time on surfaces. If the virus lives less on surfaces, then that surely will help.

Look at BC, their cases are a lot less than Ontario and Quebec, maybe warmer weather has a little to do with it. Look at Calfornia vs New York and New Jersey... Obviously, it's not all weather, people's stupidity and condensed population plays a big factor, but there is no denying that warmer weather will help "SLOW" down the spread and it will make it easier to contain.

Facts don't lie, as of today (April 7) only 5% of the people who got tested in Canada actually had the coronavirus. Over 300,000 people in Canada got tested who didn't have the virus; I wonder how many of them may have gotten the virus just because they went to get tested in a place where other people have the virus? I bet a lot of those 300k people who got tested that didn't have the coronavirus had the normal Flu and were taking extra precautions. IF warmer weather means that flu season will be done and over with, then that means less people will visit the hospital, easier to test people, and less chance of people getting the virus by going to the hospital, You cannot deny that.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,832

Post#73 » by nikster » Wed Apr 8, 2020 7:54 pm

VintageVince wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:warmer weather doesnt do anything. iran is hot af in some places. saudi arabia is effing hot and they are seeing an increase in cases daily. they have 24 hour curfews set in place i believe

Iran is hot "in some places", but they have a lot of places that isn't so hot, so that doesn't really help.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/ir/iran-weather

Saudi Arabia is only at 2.7k cases, India with a population of 1.3billion (Condensed AF) is only at 5k cases

Warmer weather won't get "Rid" of the virus, but it surely will help. People need to be smarter too.

It's a proven fact that the virus lives on surfaces for a lot less time and dies faster if the weather is warmer. Just going from 68 F to 86F makes the virus live half its time on surfaces. If the virus lives less on surfaces, then that surely will help.

Look at BC, their cases are a lot less than Ontario and Quebec, maybe warmer weather has a little to do with it. Look at Calfornia vs New York and New Jersey... Obviously, it's not all weather, people's stupidity and condensed population plays a big factor, but there is no denying that warmer weather will help "SLOW" down the spread and it will make it easier to contain.

Facts don't lie, as of today (April 7) only 5% of the people who got tested in Canada actually had the coronavirus. Over 300,000 people in Canada got tested who didn't have the virus; I wonder how many of them may have gotten the virus just because they went to get tested in a place where other people have the virus? I bet a lot of those 300k people who got tested that didn't have the coronavirus had the normal Flu and were taking extra precautions. IF warmer weather means that flu season will be done and over with, then that means less people will visit the hospital, easier to test people, and less chance of people getting the virus by going to the hospital, You cannot deny that.

Those are terrible examples for 2 main reasons, 1) they got there first cases much later than US and the European countries being hit by the virus and 2) lack of testing

Of Course India doesnt have many confirmed cases, there testing capacity is crap. Not even 200, 000 tests administered. Canada, with 3% of the population of India has done twice as many total tests. Judging by deaths (assuming even those stats are accurate in India) India is roughly 2-3 weeks behind the US in terms of the curve

Saudi Arabia didnt get there first confirmed case until March. Give it at least another month if not more before you can compare it to countries being currently hit by this. I cant even find statistics for number of tests administered, which makes it hard to estimate their true infection rate.
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#74 » by lolwut » Wed Apr 8, 2020 8:44 pm

NinjaBro wrote:
raptor jesus wrote:
NinjaBro wrote:One of the youtube guys that I subscribe to (it's a cooking channel for authentic chinese food) just posted a video from inside a wet market from Wuhan. He lives in China and gives us a close look on what it's really like inside one of these things. No BS and clickbait.

I don't claim to know the origin of this thing; we may never truly know. What I do know: this guy's argument is frankly ignorant. He uses a single point of reference to bolster his clearly biased conclusion. This absolutely is BS and clickbait.

He clearly states that this is what an average wet market in China looks like. It's essentially a farmer's market. What's BS and clickbait is the media in the west showing a distorted view of what westerners think all these wet markets look like (ie all selling bats, exotic cats etc in filthy conditions). The author is both American and has a chinese wife so he knows both cultures quite well. I'd rather trust someone who has real life experiences in both countries than the crap you watch on Fox News and CNN.

This is true. Most Chinese wet markets are not much different from farmer markets here...just a lot dirtier. There are a few markets here and there that sell weird stuff like bats, but in general, the actual demand for that sort of thing is extremely low. Normal Chinese citizens are not going to the market to buy bats. They're going to buy chicken/pork/beef.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,754

Post#75 » by Badonkadonk » Wed Apr 8, 2020 8:46 pm

There is zero evidence that warmer temperatures will slow the spread of THIS coronavirus. Scientists are hopeful based on SARS, but the fact of the matter is nobody knows, and (as some have pointed out) there are mixed data points that can be argued either way but prove nothing conclusively.
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,013

Post#76 » by raptor jesus » Wed Apr 8, 2020 8:55 pm

lolwut wrote:
NinjaBro wrote:
raptor jesus wrote:

This is true. Most Chinese wet markets are not much different from farmer markets here...just a lot dirtier.

You can't ignore extreme cases based on average ones. It's like somebody saying "Hitler probably isn't a bad guy because my neighbour, a more moderate Nazi, is generally a nice guy". Again, I don't know if wet markets are the root cause - but the logic being applied here is asinine.
lolwut
General Manager

Post#77 » by lolwut » Wed Apr 8, 2020 8:58 pm

raptor jesus wrote:
lolwut wrote:
NinjaBro wrote:He clearly states that this is what an average wet market in China looks like. It's essentially a farmer's market. What's BS and clickbait is the media in the west showing a distorted view of what westerners think all these wet markets look like (ie all selling bats, exotic cats etc in filthy conditions). The author is both American and has a chinese wife so he knows both cultures quite well. I'd rather trust someone who has real life experiences in both countries than the crap you watch on Fox News and CNN.

This is true. Most Chinese wet markets are not much different from farmer markets here...just a lot dirtier.

You can't ignore extreme cases based on average ones. It's like somebody saying "Hitler probably isn't a bad guy because my neighbour, a more moderate Nazi, is generally a nice guy". Again, I don't know if wet markets are the root cause - but the logic being applied here is asinine.

I'm not ignoring anything. I don't understand what you're trying to say with the Nazi analogy. Are you suggesting to ban all wet markets because a few of them sell weird animals?
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
raptor jesus
RealGM

Post#78 » by raptor jesus » Wed Apr 8, 2020 9:09 pm

lolwut wrote:
raptor jesus wrote:
lolwut wrote:This is true. Most Chinese wet markets are not much different from farmer markets here...just a lot dirtier.

I'm not ignoring anything. I don't understand what you're trying to say with the Nazi analogy. Are you suggesting to ban all wet markets because a few of them sell weird animals?

No I'm not suggesting that. I'm merely pointing out that wet markets cannot be discounted as points of origin solely because some of them are cleaner than others.
lolwut
General Manager

Post#79 » by lolwut » Wed Apr 8, 2020 9:17 pm

raptor jesus wrote:
lolwut wrote:
raptor jesus wrote:

No I'm not suggesting that. I'm merely pointing out that wet markets cannot be discounted as points of origin solely because some of them are cleaner than others.

That is not what I said at all.
raptor jesus
RealGM

Post#80 » by raptor jesus » Wed Apr 8, 2020 9:26 pm

lolwut wrote:
raptor jesus wrote:
lolwut wrote:I'm not ignoring anything. I don't understand what you're trying to say with the Nazi analogy. Are you suggesting to ban all wet markets because a few of them sell weird animals?

That is not what I said at all.

You said most wet markets are ok, which may very well be true. Then is it safe to assume that you think some wet markets adhere to poor safety standards?

Return to Toronto Raptors