ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA is Officially Back (Official Thread)

Moderators: niQ, Patman, pbj, Alfred, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Rhettmatic

casual_raps_fan
Junior
And1: 234

Re: NBA is Officially Back (Official Thread) 

Post#441 » by casual_raps_fan » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:17 am

TheRealDeal wrote:Masai will be living in the same hotel as Giannis for a while. It’s open season for tampering after what the Clippers did to us

Coach Bud walks into Giannis' room to find Masai, Nurse, Siakam playing cards with Giannis.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 8,483

Post#442 » by Zeno » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:31 am

nabbs wrote:
Brinbe wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

it's starting to get real now

i think the league are f'ing up big time. florida has almost 3,000 cases confirmed in ONE DAY

they should be moving to CA or anywhere that's not gonna be a freaking hotspot. :banghead:

no way this works out. a bubble with hundreds of people clustered together like that? no way a bubble is strong enough to keep covid at bay.

if i were a player, i'd be speaking up big time right now

Devil's advocate for this is all the spikes seem to be in Miami - Dade County. Orange County which is where Orlando is only has like 3000 cases. The population is roughly the size of Toronto for the entire county. I don't think anything major will happen. I imagine the Florida governor will order another stay at home if the spike continue till the end of the week.

Problem is that the Raptors training camp will apparently be in Naples Florida on the campus of Florida Gulf Coast University not Disney. Not sure if they are ‘bubbling’ on campus or staying in a hotel off-campus. What that means for covid cases is something I haven’t yet researched but Naples is much closer to Miami than Orlando.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 8,483

Post#443 » by Zeno » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:39 am

Collier County where Naples is located has neat three times the rate of covid cases per 100k as Orange County where Disney is located. It is not as bad as Miami but it sucks our players got to leave the relative safety of Ontario for this.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
nabbs
General Manager
And1: 18,450

Post#444 » by nabbs » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:42 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Looks like we have our first candidate for raptor that will sir this one out

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,097

Post#445 » by The Duke » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:45 am

Asif16 wrote:I feel like its almost a guarantee that someone someway will test positive.

What happens then? Do they shut it down again or keep going?

100% keep going
They are not re-shutting down for 1-3 ppl.
At the end of the day this is a business.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#446 » by The Duke » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:49 am

Brinbe wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

i think the league are f'ing up big time. florida has almost 3,000 cases confirmed in ONE DAY

they should be moving to CA or anywhere that's not gonna be a freaking hotspot. :banghead:

no way this works out. a bubble with hundreds of people clustered together like that? no way a bubble is strong enough to keep covid at bay.

The fact that Florida is a hot spot has minimal bearing on the Bubble\campus.

The Bubble will be largely shutdown, and not mostly exposed to the natural culture going on in the rest of Florida. Case increase is not shocking, its basically expected as everything opens up & additional testing
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 11,631

Post#447 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:30 am

nabbs wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

That could similarly be taken the opposite way.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 25,257

Post#448 » by Mikistan » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:33 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
nabbs wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

That could similarly be taken the opposite way.

TD has a new baby at home, cant blame him
Boogie! wrote:Fvvvcccc ommggvvgg I forgive u
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 15,261

Post#449 » by Brinbe » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:43 am

The Duke wrote:
Brinbe wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

The Bubble will be largely shutdown, and not mostly exposed to the natural culture going on in the rest of Florida. Case increase is not shocking, its basically expected as everything opens up & additional testing

are you kidding me? no, that's not at all expected considering they're not doing anything to prevent further outbreak. no mask-wearing, social distancing, contact tracing. and that's my point. no bubble will ever be 100% full-proof. believing that is foolishness considering the situation unfolding right now.

they are literally at their highest levels seen yet throughout this entire outbreak and i think you need to read up on what's really going on with that state.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

https://ycharts.com/indicators/florida_coronavirus_cases_per_day

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/06/16/what-happened-to-flattening-covid-19-curve-data-shows-florida-is-among-states-with-increases/
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/15/florida-coronavirus-cases-counter-rebekah-jones-fired-scientist
https://www.thedailybeast.com/floridas-seen-a-statistically-significant-uptick-in-pneumonia-deaths-the-cdc-says-its-likely-covid
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/7572b118dc3c48d885d1c643c195314e/

so they're spiking despite juking death stats and firing someone that didn't want to fudge their numbers for them.

and this sort of stuff is what's happening now

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/06/15/woman-15-friends-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-night-out-at-lynchs/

i'm a basketball fanatic but i sincerely care way more about the well-being of the players. walking into a situation that's going to spiral out of control because de santis is a nutjob trumper is a recipe for disaster and it's not worth the risk to the player's health.

that doesn't mean cancel the season. that means find a plan b because that's the whole point of keeping track of numbers/an evolving situation. just charging head-first despite the available numbers/science at hand is some real doug ford levels of thinking.

especially since...

Read on Twitter

completely blows up and undermines the point of a bubble
And1Skip
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,429

Post#450 » by And1Skip » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:17 am

TheRealDeal wrote:Masai will be living in the same hotel as Giannis for a while. It’s open season for tampering after what the Clippers did to us

Read on Twitter
?s=20
fbalmeida
Veteran
And1: 3,708

Post#451 » by fbalmeida » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:17 am

That buffet line is going to be awkward when any of these teams cross paths in the playoffs.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#452 » by The Duke » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:40 am

Brinbe wrote:
The Duke wrote:
Brinbe wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

are you kidding me? no, that's not at all expected considering they're not doing anything to prevent further outbreak. no mask-wearing, social distancing, contact tracing. and that's my point. no bubble will ever be 100% full-proof. believing that is foolishness considering the situation unfolding right now.

they are literally at their highest levels seen yet throughout this entire outbreak and i think you need to read up on what's really going on with that state.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

https://ycharts.com/indicators/florida_coronavirus_cases_per_day

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/06/16/what-happened-to-flattening-covid-19-curve-data-shows-florida-is-among-states-with-increases/
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/15/florida-coronavirus-cases-counter-rebekah-jones-fired-scientist
https://www.thedailybeast.com/floridas-seen-a-statistically-significant-uptick-in-pneumonia-deaths-the-cdc-says-its-likely-covid
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/7572b118dc3c48d885d1c643c195314e/

so they're spiking despite juking death stats and firing someone that didn't want to fudge their numbers for them.

and this sort of stuff is what's happening now

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/06/15/woman-15-friends-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-night-out-at-lynchs/

i'm a basketball fanatic but i sincerely care way more about the well-being of the players. walking into a situation that's going to spiral out of control because de santis is a nutjob trumper is a recipe for disaster and it's not worth the risk to the player's health.

that doesn't mean cancel the season. that means find a plan b because that's the whole point of keeping track of numbers/an evolving situation. just charging head-first despite the available numbers/science at hand is some real doug ford levels of thinking.

especially since...

Read on Twitter

Yes, Florida is peaking now for cases.
The weirdest thing is that the NBA is not quarintining the workers, which doesn't make alot of sense to me.

But case increase in Florida is expected as a state generally opens up again. The median age of those that get the virus is dropping, and i think i saw a stat that close to 50% of ppl getting it now are under the age of 40. That's obviously much better than evenly spread over the various she groups.

The Bubble is not full proof, and for whatever reason they have decided to not make it full proof, or at least they are officially saying, workers are not going to be quarantined. Maybe that is there way of saying "player XYZ contracted covid19, from a worker and has been isolated" .... Instead of saying "player XYZ contracted covid19, and we are doing contract tracking to determine how because we felt the bubble was full proof"
WuTang_OG
Head Coach
And1: 11,739

Post#453 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:18 pm

My friend in Florida says the people there dont care. No one wearing masks. Everyone doing their thing, not really caring about the virus.

If the NBA bubble is secure, they should be ok. Especially with the daily testing.
Yeezus_
General Manager
And1: 10,612

Post#454 » by Yeezus_ » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:14 pm

Yeah the players will be fine for the most part. Their bubble is so different from the rest of the state anyways. Testing every other day with extreme measures that need to be followed. They'll be able to control things well when guidelines are followed.
Yeezy SZN approaching
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#455 » by ash_k » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:26 pm

Hope Kyrie is watching the EPL (lol).
Both teams out there with BLACK LIVES MATTER on their back!!! talking about a statement. damn even the referee kneeled
Let's NBA soon!!!
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
Absolutely ZERO pressure in 2019/2020, nada, aucune pression,kein Druck, sin presión -- we can just relax and enjoy NBA basketball
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 23,523

Post#456 » by niQ » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:35 pm

Brinbe wrote:especially since...

Read on Twitter

I agree. What's the point of a bubble if the Disney staff who are not residing on campus can go in and out without being tested?
One of the biggest holes to this restart plan.

But then again, maybe Disney believes if all their staff are dressed up in full body costumes it's technically a mask...
Credits Clutch0z24
Hindu Man
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#457 » by Hindu Man » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:18 pm

I live in Spain. Marc Gasol is key for Raptors in playoffs again
fbalmeida
Veteran
And1: 3,708

Post#458 » by fbalmeida » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:41 am

Hindu Man wrote:I live in Spain. Marc Gasol is key for Raptors in playoffs again

Viva to my Iberian neighbour.

Rooting for a Raptors Nuggets final since February.

viewtopic.php?p=81946635#p81946635
douggood
Lead Assistant
And1: 520

Post#459 » by douggood » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:29 pm

tampa bay lightning in florida, had to shut down training facilit
phillies in clearwater florida had to shut down facility (8 cases at facility + more members of family(adults and children) at home tested positive)
bluejays in Dunedin florida had to shut down training facility.
tampa bay bucaneers coaches as well

florida is such a hotbed right now, move the raptors training camp out of there, limit your exposure.
lobosloboslobos
General Manager
And1: 11,197

Post#460 » by lobosloboslobos » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:38 pm

fbalmeida wrote:That buffet line is going to be awkward when any of these teams cross paths in the playoffs.

Think of the tampering potential with everyone wearing those masks. Like all the players from the different teams are at the same buffet line and suddenly an unknown voice whispers loud enough for the whole line to hear "Giannis to Toronto, book it." Everyone looks around. Who said that? Only we know. It was Giannis. ;)

Return to Toronto Raptors