ImageImageImageImageImage

Vince Carter officially retires

Moderators: Patman, pbj, Alfred, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, niQ, Rhettmatic

Danny1616
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,690
And1: 7,257
Joined: May 26, 2007

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#101 » by Danny1616 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:40 pm

beanbag wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
I didn't start a debate. I made a comment thinking it was weird that people still cared about this. I understand people DO still care about it, but I think it's dumb. At no point was I trying to "debate" with you. I am telling you your 17 year old feelings are weird.


Where in your initial comment did you say you think it's weird people still care about it? You brought it up, meaning that you still cared about it LOL. If you didn't care about it, you would have never said put out that statement.

You never had to debate me. I responded you explaining why I disagreed, and you replied.

You are continuing to reply and weirdly claiming that I'm weird for debating it.

Hypocrisy at its finest my friend.


Page 2, post #30 is the first interaction between us. It is YOU responding to something I posted.

Page 2, post #34 is my first response to you in which I state that the point you make is fair, I simply think it's weird to still care abou


I honestly have no idea what you want from me here.


I responded to the post that you wrote justifying why VC quit.

Then you asked me why I'm still talking about VC years later.

Then I told you I simply responded to your initial statement about VC leaving years ago.

Then you ask me why I'm discussing it again so many years after.

Then I say you are literally the person who raised the topic.

Then you keep responding to me and call me a weirdo for continuing to discuss it.

And you are still responding to me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why bring the topic up in the first place if you are going to get so butt hurt over someone who disagrees with your argument.
kalel123
Veteran
Posts: 2,660
And1: 1,160
Joined: Oct 19, 2004

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#102 » by kalel123 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:46 pm

beanbag wrote:
kalel123 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
And you're here arguing with the person who needs to get a life. What does that make you?


Come back to me when you learn how to read properly.


Enlighten me on what I'm missing.


You have been enlightened on numerous exchanges. You just don't know it because you don't know how to read properly.

I already explained to you rather clearly why I don't feel the need to elaborate on the shortcomings of Raptors management back then but it passed right by you because of your selective reading comprehension and the need to have everything spelled out due to inability to read between the lines.
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#103 » by beanbag » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:55 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Where in your initial comment did you say you think it's weird people still care about it? You brought it up, meaning that you still cared about it LOL. If you didn't care about it, you would have never said put out that statement.

You never had to debate me. I responded you explaining why I disagreed, and you replied.

You are continuing to reply and weirdly claiming that I'm weird for debating it.

Hypocrisy at its finest my friend.


Page 2, post #30 is the first interaction between us. It is YOU responding to something I posted.

Page 2, post #34 is my first response to you in which I state that the point you make is fair, I simply think it's weird to still care abou


I honestly have no idea what you want from me here.


I responded to the post that you wrote justifying why VC quit.

Then you asked me why I'm still talking about VC years later.

Then I told you I simply responded to your initial statement about VC leaving years ago.

Then you ask me why I'm discussing it again so many years after.

Then I say you are literally the person who raised the topic.

Then you keep responding to me and call me a weirdo for continuing to discuss it.

And you are still responding to me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why bring the topic up in the first place if you are going to get so butt hurt over someone who disagrees with your argument.


I'm not hurt over your opinion. It is yours and you are entitled to it. I've stated this multiple times.
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#104 » by beanbag » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:57 pm

kalel123 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
kalel123 wrote:
Come back to me when you learn how to read properly.


Enlighten me on what I'm missing.


You have been enlightened on numerous exchanges. You just don't know it because you don't know how to read properly.

I already explained to you rather clearly why I don't feel the need to elaborate on the shortcomings of Raptors management back then but it passed right by you because of your selective reading comprehension and the need to have everything spelled out due to inability to read between the lines.


You not feeling the need to elaborate on the shortcomings of management is a choice you've made. My point is it undermines your stance of both sides being at fault when you key in on one side of it.
kalel123
Veteran
Posts: 2,660
And1: 1,160
Joined: Oct 19, 2004

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#105 » by kalel123 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:18 pm

beanbag wrote:
kalel123 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Enlighten me on what I'm missing.


You have been enlightened on numerous exchanges. You just don't know it because you don't know how to read properly.

I already explained to you rather clearly why I don't feel the need to elaborate on the shortcomings of Raptors management back then but it passed right by you because of your selective reading comprehension and the need to have everything spelled out due to inability to read between the lines.


You not feeling the need to elaborate on the shortcomings of management is a choice you've made. My point is it undermines your stance of both sides being at fault when you key in on one side of it.


"What an idiotic statement. We aren't talking about celebrating Raptors then management, are we? Why do I need to waste my breath on them when we are already doing that on Vince Carter?"

To add since you need everything spelled out for you, if somebody came on here and tried to defend Rob Babcock and management from then, I'll be more than happy to chime in and elaborate on many of their failings. But when it's more than well known in these parts and everyone's in agreement, there's no need to go in detail because you are wasting time. Not same can be said for Vince Carter and his tenure here, hence the elaboration.
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#106 » by beanbag » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:47 pm

kalel123 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
kalel123 wrote:
You have been enlightened on numerous exchanges. You just don't know it because you don't know how to read properly.

I already explained to you rather clearly why I don't feel the need to elaborate on the shortcomings of Raptors management back then but it passed right by you because of your selective reading comprehension and the need to have everything spelled out due to inability to read between the lines.


You not feeling the need to elaborate on the shortcomings of management is a choice you've made. My point is it undermines your stance of both sides being at fault when you key in on one side of it.


"What an idiotic statement. We aren't talking about celebrating Raptors then management, are we? Why do I need to waste my breath on them when we are already doing that on Vince Carter?"

To add since you need everything spelled out for you, if somebody came on here and tried to defend Rob Babcock and management from then, I'll be more than happy to chime in and elaborate on many of their failings. But when it's more than well known in these parts and everyone's in agreement, there's no need to go in detail because you are wasting time. Not same can be said for Vince Carter and his tenure here, hence the elaboration.


The fact we weren't "celebrating Raptors management" doesn't change the fact people aren't going to assume your motives, particularly here where I don't know who you are or what it is you stand for. In that context, hopefully you would understand why someone would read your initial post and take it as slanted in one direction.
Danny1616
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,690
And1: 7,257
Joined: May 26, 2007

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#107 » by Danny1616 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:26 am

beanbag wrote:
kalel123 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
You not feeling the need to elaborate on the shortcomings of management is a choice you've made. My point is it undermines your stance of both sides being at fault when you key in on one side of it.


"What an idiotic statement. We aren't talking about celebrating Raptors then management, are we? Why do I need to waste my breath on them when we are already doing that on Vince Carter?"

To add since you need everything spelled out for you, if somebody came on here and tried to defend Rob Babcock and management from then, I'll be more than happy to chime in and elaborate on many of their failings. But when it's more than well known in these parts and everyone's in agreement, there's no need to go in detail because you are wasting time. Not same can be said for Vince Carter and his tenure here, hence the elaboration.


The fact we weren't "celebrating Raptors management" doesn't change the fact people aren't going to assume your motives, particularly here where I don't know who you are or what it is you stand for. In that context, hopefully you would understand why someone would read your initial post and take it as slanted in one direction.


You blamed management for VC's conduct and quitting mentality. i disagreed and voiced my opinion.

Because you can't refute my counter-argument to you, you need to attack me as some "weirdo" still preoccupied with him.

You started the convo, you are continuing the convo, end of discussion.

Yes, my initial post was slanted in one direction...management was bad, but no excuse to act like an unprofessional diva.

Disagree all you want but don't blatantly lie and say i started this and am preoccupied with VC when you literally initiated this argument by blaming management exclusively.

The only who rehashed VC leaving TO was you, not me. I simply disagreed with your premise.

You still butt hurt?
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#108 » by beanbag » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:30 am

Danny1616 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
kalel123 wrote:
"What an idiotic statement. We aren't talking about celebrating Raptors then management, are we? Why do I need to waste my breath on them when we are already doing that on Vince Carter?"

To add since you need everything spelled out for you, if somebody came on here and tried to defend Rob Babcock and management from then, I'll be more than happy to chime in and elaborate on many of their failings. But when it's more than well known in these parts and everyone's in agreement, there's no need to go in detail because you are wasting time. Not same can be said for Vince Carter and his tenure here, hence the elaboration.


The fact we weren't "celebrating Raptors management" doesn't change the fact people aren't going to assume your motives, particularly here where I don't know who you are or what it is you stand for. In that context, hopefully you would understand why someone would read your initial post and take it as slanted in one direction.


You blamed management for VC's conduct and quitting mentality. i disagreed and voiced my opinion.

Because you can't refute my counter-argument to you, you need to attack me as some "weirdo" still preoccupied with him.

You started the convo, you are continuing the convo, end of discussion.

Yes, my initial post was slanted in one direction...management was bad, but no excuse to act like an unprofessional diva.

Disagree all you want but don't blatantly lie and say i started this and am preoccupied with VC when you literally initiated this argument by blaming management exclusively.

The only who rehashed VC leaving TO was you, not me. I simply disagreed with your premise.

You still butt hurt?


I'm starting to understand the mind of an individual who would hold a 17 year grudge over nothing.
User avatar
OGLife
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,678
And1: 12,525
Joined: Jan 29, 2015
   

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#109 » by OGLife » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:35 am

beanbag wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
The fact we weren't "celebrating Raptors management" doesn't change the fact people aren't going to assume your motives, particularly here where I don't know who you are or what it is you stand for. In that context, hopefully you would understand why someone would read your initial post and take it as slanted in one direction.


You blamed management for VC's conduct and quitting mentality. i disagreed and voiced my opinion.

Because you can't refute my counter-argument to you, you need to attack me as some "weirdo" still preoccupied with him.

You started the convo, you are continuing the convo, end of discussion.

Yes, my initial post was slanted in one direction...management was bad, but no excuse to act like an unprofessional diva.

Disagree all you want but don't blatantly lie and say i started this and am preoccupied with VC when you literally initiated this argument by blaming management exclusively.

The only who rehashed VC leaving TO was you, not me. I simply disagreed with your premise.

You still butt hurt?


I'm starting to understand the mind of an individual who would hold a 17 year grudge over nothing.

How is it a grudge for criticism? The people who support retiring VC number bring zero context to their reasoning.

I would retire DD number before I even consider VC. What attention did VC bring to Toronto? It's such an overrated statement. We haven't had any success with FAs, Americans still consider Toronto a place not to go, etc.

The only attention he brought was to himself.
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#110 » by beanbag » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:45 am

OGLife wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
You blamed management for VC's conduct and quitting mentality. i disagreed and voiced my opinion.

Because you can't refute my counter-argument to you, you need to attack me as some "weirdo" still preoccupied with him.

You started the convo, you are continuing the convo, end of discussion.

Yes, my initial post was slanted in one direction...management was bad, but no excuse to act like an unprofessional diva.

Disagree all you want but don't blatantly lie and say i started this and am preoccupied with VC when you literally initiated this argument by blaming management exclusively.

The only who rehashed VC leaving TO was you, not me. I simply disagreed with your premise.

You still butt hurt?


I'm starting to understand the mind of an individual who would hold a 17 year grudge over nothing.

How is it a grudge for criticism? The people who support retiring VC number bring zero context to their reasoning.

I would retire DD number before I even consider VC. What attention did VC bring to Toronto? It's such an overrated statement. We haven't had any success with FAs, Americans still consider Toronto a place not to go, etc.

The only attention he brought was to himself.


Well you're getting into a whole new argument now, but Vince's legacy with making basketball popular in Canada is undeniable. Look at the number of Canadian NBA players before and since Carter. You can rightfully argue whether this is a valid reason to retire his jersey, but aside from that, his numbers through the first 7 years of his career, in my mind warrant his jersey being retired.

Again, this is a debate that I understand both sides of.
Danny1616
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,690
And1: 7,257
Joined: May 26, 2007

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#111 » by Danny1616 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:45 am

beanbag wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
The fact we weren't "celebrating Raptors management" doesn't change the fact people aren't going to assume your motives, particularly here where I don't know who you are or what it is you stand for. In that context, hopefully you would understand why someone would read your initial post and take it as slanted in one direction.


You blamed management for VC's conduct and quitting mentality. i disagreed and voiced my opinion.

Because you can't refute my counter-argument to you, you need to attack me as some "weirdo" still preoccupied with him.

You started the convo, you are continuing the convo, end of discussion.

Yes, my initial post was slanted in one direction...management was bad, but no excuse to act like an unprofessional diva.

Disagree all you want but don't blatantly lie and say i started this and am preoccupied with VC when you literally initiated this argument by blaming management exclusively.

The only who rehashed VC leaving TO was you, not me. I simply disagreed with your premise.

You still butt hurt?


I'm starting to understand the mind of an individual who would hold a 17 year grudge over nothing.


Again you were the only one that brought up VC's departure in 2004 in the first place.

Nobody was discussing it until you brought it up.

I disagreed with you and you are still butt hurt that I utterly destroyed your premise so you need to resort to personal attacks.

It's a bit pathetic.
User avatar
OGLife
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,678
And1: 12,525
Joined: Jan 29, 2015
   

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#112 » by OGLife » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:49 am

beanbag wrote:
OGLife wrote:
beanbag wrote:
I'm starting to understand the mind of an individual who would hold a 17 year grudge over nothing.

How is it a grudge for criticism? The people who support retiring VC number bring zero context to their reasoning.

I would retire DD number before I even consider VC. What attention did VC bring to Toronto? It's such an overrated statement. We haven't had any success with FAs, Americans still consider Toronto a place not to go, etc.

The only attention he brought was to himself.


Well you're getting into a whole new argument now, but Vince's legacy with making basketball popular in Canada is undeniable. Look at the number of Canadian NBA players before and since Carter. You can rightfully argue whether this is a valid reason to retire his jersey, but aside from that, his numbers through the first 7 years of his career, in my mind warrant his jersey being retired.

Again, this is a debate that I understand both sides of.

And how many of those Canadian basketball players parents moved to Canada from the USA or another country...Also, how many of them had a father who played basketball...your facts are off.

How does VC make someone want to become a basketball athlete. That's just a false narrative.
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#113 » by beanbag » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:51 am

Danny1616 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
You blamed management for VC's conduct and quitting mentality. i disagreed and voiced my opinion.

Because you can't refute my counter-argument to you, you need to attack me as some "weirdo" still preoccupied with him.

You started the convo, you are continuing the convo, end of discussion.

Yes, my initial post was slanted in one direction...management was bad, but no excuse to act like an unprofessional diva.

Disagree all you want but don't blatantly lie and say i started this and am preoccupied with VC when you literally initiated this argument by blaming management exclusively.

The only who rehashed VC leaving TO was you, not me. I simply disagreed with your premise.

You still butt hurt?


I'm starting to understand the mind of an individual who would hold a 17 year grudge over nothing.


Again you were the only one that brought up VC's departure in 2004 in the first place.

Nobody was discussing it until you brought it up.

I disagreed with you and you are still butt hurt that I utterly destroyed your premise so you need to resort to personal attacks.

It's a bit pathetic.


If you refer to page 1 of the thread, his departure is referenced in posts #4 and #6 prior to my mentioning of it.

Also it's 2020, maybe stop using the term "butthurt".
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#114 » by beanbag » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:53 am

OGLife wrote:
beanbag wrote:
OGLife wrote:How is it a grudge for criticism? The people who support retiring VC number bring zero context to their reasoning.

I would retire DD number before I even consider VC. What attention did VC bring to Toronto? It's such an overrated statement. We haven't had any success with FAs, Americans still consider Toronto a place not to go, etc.

The only attention he brought was to himself.


Well you're getting into a whole new argument now, but Vince's legacy with making basketball popular in Canada is undeniable. Look at the number of Canadian NBA players before and since Carter. You can rightfully argue whether this is a valid reason to retire his jersey, but aside from that, his numbers through the first 7 years of his career, in my mind warrant his jersey being retired.

Again, this is a debate that I understand both sides of.

And how many of those Canadian basketball players parents moved to Canada from the USA or another country...Also, how many of them had a father who played basketball...your facts are off.

How does VC make someone want to become a basketball athlete. That's just a false narrative.


The Carter Effect Documentary goes into more detail on his impact to Basketball in Canada so I'll have to disagree.
User avatar
OGLife
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,678
And1: 12,525
Joined: Jan 29, 2015
   

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#115 » by OGLife » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:54 am

Also, growing up, I've seen more Kobe and AI gear than VC.

VC's jersey became a hot buy by the new generation. If there was only a way to compare his jersey sells in Canada when he was a Raptor vs the last 4 years.
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#116 » by beanbag » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:57 am

OGLife wrote:Also, growing up, I've seen more Kobe and AI gear than VC.

VC's jersey became a hot buy by the new generation. If there was only a way to compare his jersey sells in Canada when he was a Raptor vs the last 4 years.


Well that settles it then. You win the debate off the strength of your anecdotal evidence of seeing more Kobe and AI gear.
User avatar
OGLife
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,678
And1: 12,525
Joined: Jan 29, 2015
   

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#117 » by OGLife » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:59 am

beanbag wrote:
OGLife wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Well you're getting into a whole new argument now, but Vince's legacy with making basketball popular in Canada is undeniable. Look at the number of Canadian NBA players before and since Carter. You can rightfully argue whether this is a valid reason to retire his jersey, but aside from that, his numbers through the first 7 years of his career, in my mind warrant his jersey being retired.

Again, this is a debate that I understand both sides of.

And how many of those Canadian basketball players parents moved to Canada from the USA or another country...Also, how many of them had a father who played basketball...your facts are off.

How does VC make someone want to become a basketball athlete. That's just a false narrative.


The Carter Effect Documentary goes into more detail on his impact to Basketball in Canada so I'll have to disagree.

Right....that's a subjective comment to make to support VC. Care to show me ticket sells from 1995 - 1997 and 1998 - 2003? Care to show me the jersey sells in Canada from 1998 - 2003?

Where I grew up, everyone was a Lakers fan. That's in Toronto, btw.
User avatar
OGLife
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,678
And1: 12,525
Joined: Jan 29, 2015
   

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#118 » by OGLife » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:00 am

beanbag wrote:
OGLife wrote:Also, growing up, I've seen more Kobe and AI gear than VC.

VC's jersey became a hot buy by the new generation. If there was only a way to compare his jersey sells in Canada when he was a Raptor vs the last 4 years.


Well that settles it then. You win the debate off the strength of your anecdotal evidence of seeing more Kobe and AI gear.

Ah, sticking to personal attacks instead of getting stats to support your claim of how VC made basketball more popular in Canada...
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#119 » by beanbag » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:07 am

OGLife wrote:
beanbag wrote:
OGLife wrote:Also, growing up, I've seen more Kobe and AI gear than VC.

VC's jersey became a hot buy by the new generation. If there was only a way to compare his jersey sells in Canada when he was a Raptor vs the last 4 years.


Well that settles it then. You win the debate off the strength of your anecdotal evidence of seeing more Kobe and AI gear.

Ah, sticking to personal attacks instead of getting stats to support your claim of how VC made basketball more popular in Canada...


You haven't presented facts. The closest thing to a fact here was me pointing you to a documentary that discusses the effect he has had.

Meanwhile, you have told me about the amount of jerseys you saw 20 years ago and this idea that all your friends were Lakers fans.

There are undoubtedly Lakers fans in Toronto, but you know what there is way more of? Raptors fans.
Danny1616
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,690
And1: 7,257
Joined: May 26, 2007

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#120 » by Danny1616 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:11 am

beanbag wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
I'm starting to understand the mind of an individual who would hold a 17 year grudge over nothing.


Again you were the only one that brought up VC's departure in 2004 in the first place.

Nobody was discussing it until you brought it up.

I disagreed with you and you are still butt hurt that I utterly destroyed your premise so you need to resort to personal attacks.

It's a bit pathetic.


If you refer to page 1 of the thread, his departure is referenced in posts #4 and #6 prior to my mentioning of it.

Also it's 2020, maybe stop using the term "butthurt".


I responded to you because i disagreed with your premise, so I have no idea why you are diverting to other people.

You lied and claimed I initiated this discussion when that was blatantly false.

Also you contradicted yourself...if others mentioned it before you then why did you feel the need to engage over it when you now call me a weirdo for responding to you. UNBELIEVABLE, LOL.

Keep digging a hole...it's getting deeper and deeper.

Return to Toronto Raptors