ImageImageImageImageImage

Vince Carter officially retires

Moderators: Patman, pbj, Alfred, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, niQ, Rhettmatic

Danny1616
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,688
And1: 7,257
Joined: May 26, 2007

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#81 » by Danny1616 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:23 pm

beanbag wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
The amount of money he got paid is irrelevant. I hate to tell you this, but if your boss sucks and it leads to a lousy workplace you aren't going to be motivated to work regardless of how much money you make.


Terrible argument.

Tell that to the city and thousands of fans who paid their hard earned money to watch VC perform.

VC was literally getting paid $170,000 for every game he played that season. There is literally zero excuse to under perform.

Many people that can be disgruntled with their boss but still perform at the highest level. We've seen countless of other NBA players who requested a trade but still performed when they were called to do so.

Fans have a right to hate VC for the way he conducted himself during that time.

I vehemently disagree with anyone who tries to justify someone acting like an unprofessional child while getting paid nearly 100 million dollars and is under contract.


It sounds like you're just mad because he makes more money than you.

I'm a fan, I pay my hard earned my towards Raptors tickets and I don't blame the players (or staff) for rebelling against **** management.


Are you really trying to justify a player not adequately doing his job when getting paid nearly $100 million under contract and trying to say I'm mad because he makes more money?

The mental gymnastics you exercising to justify his conduct unbelievable.

VC had the right to be a prick, but that doesn't mean he I have to respect him being a prick.

Tell me, do you like Hedo Turkoglu? We gave Hedo a nice contract and he came to our team out of shape and didn't perform. i'm a fan of the Raptors, I joined an online forum to talk about the Raptors, and I want the team to do well. So when players that we treat like Kings and pay lots of money don't perform and dog it, I have the right to not like them and critique the **** out of them.

Colangelo was also pretty terrible as a GM after 2008, so does that excuse Hedo from his conduct after we gave him a great financial deal?

Literally nothing to do with guys making more money than me. For example, in MMA I'm a fan of Mcgregor but when he punched some old guy at a bar and acted unprofessionally I critiqued him for it. He deserved it.

If you are in the public eye, get paid a **** ton, act like a bitch and don't perform, I'm going to critique you for that.

Understand?
kalel123
Veteran
Posts: 2,660
And1: 1,160
Joined: Oct 19, 2004

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#82 » by kalel123 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:28 pm

beanbag wrote:
kalel123 wrote:Some people here need to understand something.

Just because one side is at fault, doesn't mean the other side is exempt from blame or any less at fault. In fact, they can be both wrong as is the case here with Raptors management and Carter. I don't doubt the management at the time was incompetent. But there's no excuse to how he quit on the team. None. Doesn't matter how much revisionist history **** people including Carter tries to throw at this.

And you can't look only look at the bright side of things and ignore the equally shady **** that happened. He did more damage to this team going out than he did coming in. That's an indisputable fact and why any consideration to his jersey retirement and such should not be considered.

Really don't think he should be HOF either but they let anyone get in these days it seems. Just hope he doesn't get in as a Raptor.


Says both sides are at fault and spends one sentence on management and a couple of paragraphs crying about Vince.


What an idiotic statement. We aren't talking about celebrating Raptors then management, are we? Why do I need to waste my breath on them when we are already doing that on Vince Carter?
User avatar
ImissJordan
General Manager
Posts: 8,358
And1: 922
Joined: Nov 17, 2004
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#83 » by ImissJordan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:45 pm

It's weird to discuss Vince Carter's retirement given that he hasn't been relevant in over a decade, now.

Very good player in his prime years and had potential to be a superstar/transcendent player but didn't have the right mental make-up.

Spent a lot of time injured and whining and tanked his value so badly we got pennies on the dollar for him (in what was probably the worst trade of all-time).

Spent the better part of the last decade coming off the bench for crappy teams hoisting threes.

Even still, an All-Star player in the early 2000's and the best dunker of all-time.

Hope people stop bringing this guy up.
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#84 » by beanbag » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:52 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Terrible argument.

Tell that to the city and thousands of fans who paid their hard earned money to watch VC perform.

VC was literally getting paid $170,000 for every game he played that season. There is literally zero excuse to under perform.

Many people that can be disgruntled with their boss but still perform at the highest level. We've seen countless of other NBA players who requested a trade but still performed when they were called to do so.

Fans have a right to hate VC for the way he conducted himself during that time.

I vehemently disagree with anyone who tries to justify someone acting like an unprofessional child while getting paid nearly 100 million dollars and is under contract.


It sounds like you're just mad because he makes more money than you.

I'm a fan, I pay my hard earned my towards Raptors tickets and I don't blame the players (or staff) for rebelling against **** management.


Are you really trying to justify a player not adequately doing his job when getting paid nearly $100 million under contract and trying to say I'm mad because he makes more money?

The mental gymnastics you exercising to justify his conduct unbelievable.

VC had the right to be a prick, but that doesn't mean he I have to respect him being a prick.

Tell me, do you like Hedo Turkoglu? We gave Hedo a nice contract and he came to our team out of shape and didn't perform. i'm a fan of the Raptors, I joined an online forum to talk about the Raptors, and I want the team to do well. So when players that we treat like Kings and pay lots of money don't perform and dog it, I have the right to not like them and critique the **** out of them.

Colangelo was also pretty terrible as a GM after 2008, so does that excuse Hedo from his conduct after we gave him a great financial deal?

Literally nothing to do with guys making more money than me. For example, in MMA I'm a fan of Mcgregor but when he punched some old guy at a bar and acted unprofessionally I critiqued him for it. He deserved it.

If you are in the public eye, get paid a **** ton, act like a bitch and don't perform, I'm going to critique you for that.

Understand?


No, you need to understand not to tell other people how to feel. If you're mad about how he acted that sounds like a YOU problem.

You are entitled to feel however you want to feel, but what you are not entitled to do is tell another human being how they are supposed to deal with their life when they aren't causing physical harm to anyone.
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#85 » by beanbag » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:54 pm

kalel123 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
kalel123 wrote:Some people here need to understand something.

Just because one side is at fault, doesn't mean the other side is exempt from blame or any less at fault. In fact, they can be both wrong as is the case here with Raptors management and Carter. I don't doubt the management at the time was incompetent. But there's no excuse to how he quit on the team. None. Doesn't matter how much revisionist history **** people including Carter tries to throw at this.

And you can't look only look at the bright side of things and ignore the equally shady **** that happened. He did more damage to this team going out than he did coming in. That's an indisputable fact and why any consideration to his jersey retirement and such should not be considered.

Really don't think he should be HOF either but they let anyone get in these days it seems. Just hope he doesn't get in as a Raptor.


Says both sides are at fault and spends one sentence on management and a couple of paragraphs crying about Vince.


What an idiotic statement. We aren't talking about celebrating Raptors then management, are we? Why do I need to waste my breath on them when we are already doing that on Vince Carter?


Because otherwise it makes your "both sides were at fault" statement ring hollow.
kalel123
Veteran
Posts: 2,660
And1: 1,160
Joined: Oct 19, 2004

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#86 » by kalel123 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:01 pm

beanbag wrote:
kalel123 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Says both sides are at fault and spends one sentence on management and a couple of paragraphs crying about Vince.


What an idiotic statement. We aren't talking about celebrating Raptors then management, are we? Why do I need to waste my breath on them when we are already doing that on Vince Carter?


Because otherwise it makes your "both sides were at fault" statement ring hollow.


Dude, you really need to get a life.
Danny1616
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,688
And1: 7,257
Joined: May 26, 2007

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#87 » by Danny1616 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:10 pm

beanbag wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
It sounds like you're just mad because he makes more money than you.

I'm a fan, I pay my hard earned my towards Raptors tickets and I don't blame the players (or staff) for rebelling against **** management.


Are you really trying to justify a player not adequately doing his job when getting paid nearly $100 million under contract and trying to say I'm mad because he makes more money?

The mental gymnastics you exercising to justify his conduct unbelievable.

VC had the right to be a prick, but that doesn't mean he I have to respect him being a prick.

Tell me, do you like Hedo Turkoglu? We gave Hedo a nice contract and he came to our team out of shape and didn't perform. i'm a fan of the Raptors, I joined an online forum to talk about the Raptors, and I want the team to do well. So when players that we treat like Kings and pay lots of money don't perform and dog it, I have the right to not like them and critique the **** out of them.

Colangelo was also pretty terrible as a GM after 2008, so does that excuse Hedo from his conduct after we gave him a great financial deal?

Literally nothing to do with guys making more money than me. For example, in MMA I'm a fan of Mcgregor but when he punched some old guy at a bar and acted unprofessionally I critiqued him for it. He deserved it.

If you are in the public eye, get paid a **** ton, act like a bitch and don't perform, I'm going to critique you for that.

Understand?


No, you need to understand not to tell other people how to feel. If you're mad about how he acted that sounds like a YOU problem.

You are entitled to feel however you want to feel, but what you are not entitled to do is tell another human being how they are supposed to deal with their life when they aren't causing physical harm to anyone.


When did I once talk about what you have to do...I kept reiterating that I have the right to critique him.

Again, I concluded my argument stating
If you are in the public eye, get paid a **** ton, act like a bitch and don't perform, I'm going to critique you for that.


When did I say you have have to feel a certain way...I'm simply explaining why I feel that way and I backed it up with facts and evidence. I also clearly stated Carter had the right to do what he wants but that doesn't mean I have to respect him or that I am wrong for critiquing him.

You really love spinning my arguments.

It's like when you asked me why I'm still discussing VC's departure when you initially raised the issue by blaming management before I even said anything. You literally initiated the discussion, I responded by refuting your argument, and then you asked me why I'm raising the issue LOL.
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#88 » by beanbag » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:30 pm

kalel123 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
kalel123 wrote:
What an idiotic statement. We aren't talking about celebrating Raptors then management, are we? Why do I need to waste my breath on them when we are already doing that on Vince Carter?


Because otherwise it makes your "both sides were at fault" statement ring hollow.


Dude, you really need to get a life.


And you're here arguing with the person who needs to get a life. What does that make you?
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#89 » by beanbag » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:36 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Are you really trying to justify a player not adequately doing his job when getting paid nearly $100 million under contract and trying to say I'm mad because he makes more money?

The mental gymnastics you exercising to justify his conduct unbelievable.

VC had the right to be a prick, but that doesn't mean he I have to respect him being a prick.

Tell me, do you like Hedo Turkoglu? We gave Hedo a nice contract and he came to our team out of shape and didn't perform. i'm a fan of the Raptors, I joined an online forum to talk about the Raptors, and I want the team to do well. So when players that we treat like Kings and pay lots of money don't perform and dog it, I have the right to not like them and critique the **** out of them.

Colangelo was also pretty terrible as a GM after 2008, so does that excuse Hedo from his conduct after we gave him a great financial deal?

Literally nothing to do with guys making more money than me. For example, in MMA I'm a fan of Mcgregor but when he punched some old guy at a bar and acted unprofessionally I critiqued him for it. He deserved it.

If you are in the public eye, get paid a **** ton, act like a bitch and don't perform, I'm going to critique you for that.

Understand?


No, you need to understand not to tell other people how to feel. If you're mad about how he acted that sounds like a YOU problem.

You are entitled to feel however you want to feel, but what you are not entitled to do is tell another human being how they are supposed to deal with their life when they aren't causing physical harm to anyone.


When did I once talk about what you have to do...I kept reiterating that I have the right to critique him.

Again, I concluded my argument stating
If you are in the public eye, get paid a **** ton, act like a bitch and don't perform, I'm going to critique you for that.


When did I say you have have to feel a certain way...I'm simply explaining why I feel that way and I backed it up with facts and evidence. I also clearly stated Carter had the right to do what he wants but that doesn't mean I have to respect him or that I am wrong for critiquing him.

You really love spinning my arguments.

It's like when you asked me why I'm still discussing VC's departure when you initially raised the issue by blaming management before I even said anything. You literally initiated the discussion, I responded by refuting your argument, and then you asked me why I'm raising the issue LOL.


You didn't convince me of anything in terms of why you'd still care about this now. I just think it's weird and somewhat unhealthy.

You do you though.
Huskies1947
Head Coach
Posts: 6,120
And1: 903
Joined: Apr 28, 2006
       

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#90 » by Huskies1947 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:15 pm

Can bring him in as a TV analyst or something? He would be way better than smitch.
Image
Danny1616
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,688
And1: 7,257
Joined: May 26, 2007

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#91 » by Danny1616 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:41 pm

beanbag wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
No, you need to understand not to tell other people how to feel. If you're mad about how he acted that sounds like a YOU problem.

You are entitled to feel however you want to feel, but what you are not entitled to do is tell another human being how they are supposed to deal with their life when they aren't causing physical harm to anyone.


When did I once talk about what you have to do...I kept reiterating that I have the right to critique him.

Again, I concluded my argument stating
If you are in the public eye, get paid a **** ton, act like a bitch and don't perform, I'm going to critique you for that.


When did I say you have have to feel a certain way...I'm simply explaining why I feel that way and I backed it up with facts and evidence. I also clearly stated Carter had the right to do what he wants but that doesn't mean I have to respect him or that I am wrong for critiquing him.

You really love spinning my arguments.

It's like when you asked me why I'm still discussing VC's departure when you initially raised the issue by blaming management before I even said anything. You literally initiated the discussion, I responded by refuting your argument, and then you asked me why I'm raising the issue LOL.


You didn't convince me of anything in terms of why you'd still care about this now. I just think it's weird and somewhat unhealthy.

You do you though.


You literally brought this issue up by blaming management for his conduct with your initial comment. I never initiated anything or had any intention of discussing his departure until I read your comment. I responded and disagreed with your comment.

Instead of refuting my points you had nothing to reply with so chose to try to attack me personally and ask why I still want to discuss it.

The irony is that you were the one who brought this issue up meaning that you still care about it.
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#92 » by beanbag » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:09 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
When did I once talk about what you have to do...I kept reiterating that I have the right to critique him.

Again, I concluded my argument stating

When did I say you have have to feel a certain way...I'm simply explaining why I feel that way and I backed it up with facts and evidence. I also clearly stated Carter had the right to do what he wants but that doesn't mean I have to respect him or that I am wrong for critiquing him.

You really love spinning my arguments.

It's like when you asked me why I'm still discussing VC's departure when you initially raised the issue by blaming management before I even said anything. You literally initiated the discussion, I responded by refuting your argument, and then you asked me why I'm raising the issue LOL.


You didn't convince me of anything in terms of why you'd still care about this now. I just think it's weird and somewhat unhealthy.

You do you though.


You literally brought this issue up by blaming management for his conduct with your initial comment. I never initiated anything or had any intention of discussing his departure until I read your comment. I responded and disagreed with your comment.

Instead of refuting my points you had nothing to reply with so chose to try to attack me personally and ask why I still want to discuss it.

The irony is that you were the one who brought this issue up meaning that you still care about it.


Once again, there is nothing to refute. We have a difference of opinion. I don't care to change your mind, I just think it's some weirdo **** that you still care about this. That's it.
Danny1616
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,688
And1: 7,257
Joined: May 26, 2007

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#93 » by Danny1616 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:11 pm

beanbag wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
You didn't convince me of anything in terms of why you'd still care about this now. I just think it's weird and somewhat unhealthy.

You do you though.


You literally brought this issue up by blaming management for his conduct with your initial comment. I never initiated anything or had any intention of discussing his departure until I read your comment. I responded and disagreed with your comment.

Instead of refuting my points you had nothing to reply with so chose to try to attack me personally and ask why I still want to discuss it.

The irony is that you were the one who brought this issue up meaning that you still care about it.


Once again, there is nothing to refute. We have a difference of opinion. I don't care to change your mind, I just think it's some weirdo **** that you still care about this. That's it.


Ironically, you are saying it's some "weirdo ****" when you literally initiated the discussion blaming management for how VC left LMAO.

The convo literally started with you saying this:
Vince "quit" on the team because management was completely and utterly incompetent. I don't know, seems like an extremely valid reason to quit a company to me.


You realize I never started the debate, YOU DID.

Yet, you call me a weirdo that I am still discussing this.

Holy ****. Do you know what "hypocrisy" means?
User avatar
Cross-over
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,703
And1: 116
Joined: Nov 21, 2004
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#94 » by Cross-over » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:16 pm

kalel123 wrote:Hopefully this is the last thread on the quitter.


Easy to have such a long career when your so soft.
Image
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#95 » by beanbag » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:18 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
You literally brought this issue up by blaming management for his conduct with your initial comment. I never initiated anything or had any intention of discussing his departure until I read your comment. I responded and disagreed with your comment.

Instead of refuting my points you had nothing to reply with so chose to try to attack me personally and ask why I still want to discuss it.

The irony is that you were the one who brought this issue up meaning that you still care about it.


Once again, there is nothing to refute. We have a difference of opinion. I don't care to change your mind, I just think it's some weirdo **** that you still care about this. That's it.


Ironically, you are saying it's some "weirdo ****" when you literally initiated the discussion blaming management for how VC left LMAO.

The convo literally started with you saying this:
Vince "quit" on the team because management was completely and utterly incompetent. I don't know, seems like an extremely valid reason to quit a company to me.


You realize I never started the debate, YOU DID.

Yet, you call me a weirdo that I am still discussing this.

Holy ****. Do you know what "hypocrisy" means?


I didn't start a debate. I made a comment thinking it was weird that people still cared about this. I understand people DO still care about it, but I think it's dumb. At no point was I trying to "debate" with you. I am telling you your 17 year old feelings are weird.
Danny1616
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,688
And1: 7,257
Joined: May 26, 2007

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#96 » by Danny1616 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:21 pm

beanbag wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Once again, there is nothing to refute. We have a difference of opinion. I don't care to change your mind, I just think it's some weirdo **** that you still care about this. That's it.


Ironically, you are saying it's some "weirdo ****" when you literally initiated the discussion blaming management for how VC left LMAO.

The convo literally started with you saying this:
Vince "quit" on the team because management was completely and utterly incompetent. I don't know, seems like an extremely valid reason to quit a company to me.


You realize I never started the debate, YOU DID.

Yet, you call me a weirdo that I am still discussing this.

Holy ****. Do you know what "hypocrisy" means?


I didn't start a debate. I made a comment thinking it was weird that people still cared about this. I understand people DO still care about it, but I think it's dumb. At no point was I trying to "debate" with you. I am telling you your 17 year old feelings are weird.


Where in your initial comment did you say you think it's weird people still care about it? You brought it up, meaning that you still cared about it LOL. If you didn't care about it, you would have never said put out that statement.

You never had to debate me. I responded you explaining why I disagreed, and you replied.

You are continuing to reply and weirdly claiming that I'm weird for debating it.

Hypocrisy at its finest my friend.
kalel123
Veteran
Posts: 2,660
And1: 1,160
Joined: Oct 19, 2004

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#97 » by kalel123 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:34 pm

Cross-over wrote:
kalel123 wrote:Hopefully this is the last thread on the quitter.


Easy to have such a long career when your so soft.


It speaks to his natural gift, which he had abundance of. Which makes his career trajectory all the more maddening because if he put in some kind of decent effort, he would've made it big rather than fizzling out for over a decade.
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#98 » by beanbag » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:35 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Ironically, you are saying it's some "weirdo ****" when you literally initiated the discussion blaming management for how VC left LMAO.

The convo literally started with you saying this:

You realize I never started the debate, YOU DID.

Yet, you call me a weirdo that I am still discussing this.

Holy ****. Do you know what "hypocrisy" means?


I didn't start a debate. I made a comment thinking it was weird that people still cared about this. I understand people DO still care about it, but I think it's dumb. At no point was I trying to "debate" with you. I am telling you your 17 year old feelings are weird.


Where in your initial comment did you say you think it's weird people still care about it? You brought it up, meaning that you still cared about it LOL. If you didn't care about it, you would have never said put out that statement.

You never had to debate me. I responded you explaining why I disagreed, and you replied.

You are continuing to reply and weirdly claiming that I'm weird for debating it.

Hypocrisy at its finest my friend.


Page 2, post #30 is the first interaction between us. It is YOU responding to something I posted.

Page 2, post #34 is my first response to you in which I state that the point you make is fair, I simply think it's weird to still care about it.


I honestly have no idea what you want from me here.
kalel123
Veteran
Posts: 2,660
And1: 1,160
Joined: Oct 19, 2004

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#99 » by kalel123 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:35 pm

beanbag wrote:
kalel123 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Because otherwise it makes your "both sides were at fault" statement ring hollow.


Dude, you really need to get a life.


And you're here arguing with the person who needs to get a life. What does that make you?


Come back to me when you learn how to read properly.
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: Vince Carter officially retires 

Post#100 » by beanbag » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:37 pm

kalel123 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
kalel123 wrote:
Dude, you really need to get a life.


And you're here arguing with the person who needs to get a life. What does that make you?


Come back to me when you learn how to read properly.


Enlighten me on what I'm missing.

Return to Toronto Raptors