ImageImageImageImageImage

Did you cheer when Durant got injured?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Did you cheer when Durant got injured?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 145

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,801

Re: Did you cheer when Durant got injured? 

Post#121 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:07 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:[My only point in this thread was to suggest it was incredibly self-righteous and holier-than-thou to suggest that all the thousands of people in that building (and now the 38 percent in this thread willing to admit it) who cheered in the moment at Durant falling were “bad people.” It must feel nice to be one of the “good” ones like you, though. How enlightened you are.

995 more boring ass posts to go.

You’re the guy who came into this thread days after the initial discussion to engage me (and dispute something not even the biggest Raptors fans haven’t acknowledged about that game), not the other way around.

Lmfao. It's a steal on an injury on the same play. The fact that you think it has to be everyone, and not just 38%, that some couldn't have been cheering for the steal, that they even knew or could see/tell that durant was injured (da fuq?) is my entire point. That every noise was a cheer and not even an exclamation, chatter or anything else. You know what...The fact that you think everyone thinks the way you do is your problem, not ours. Yeah...and it's other people are self -righteous. :roll:

Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,329

Post#122 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:32 am

fbalmeida wrote:To help further the discussion, I'll also share that when Klay Thompson went down, I let loose a sombre "Holy **** we just won the championship." I immediately felt bittersweet about his injury because I understood instinctively that it would diminish our triumph in the eyes of others. Not ours. Or mine at least. I knew for a fact that we certainly had the brains and brawn to beat them with a healthy Klay, but his injury made that an absolute certainty.

I felt relieved, relaxed, and happy, but I refrained from cheering at that moment. I certainly felt the same underlying motives to just jump up and holler for the enemy losing yet another man, but I was capable of overriding that reptilian reaction on that occasion.

Unlike with Durant (where both I and the crowd erupted in that moment), I was way too tense to feel much of anything when Klay got hurt. I obviously didn’t mind him leaving the game at that time, but I didn’t think it was a guarantee of victory or a championship at that time. It was game 7 where it would have really helped our chances and I really didn’t want it to get to that point.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#123 » by ontnut » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:01 pm

I saw him pull up and called it out right away - "Durant's hurt, looks like he's done."
I didn't cheer it, but I did an internal fist pump, knowing that without a healthy Durant, a championship was way more likely. I also felt bad for him, knowing that he wasn't ready to return and was rushed back.
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#124 » by Rapsalot » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:33 pm

I was watching the two guys cross court for a pass then I saw Serge going for ball and cheered then they said KD hurt and stopped.
Sanyo
Starter
And1: 1,628

Post#125 » by Sanyo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:24 pm

yes i did.

its just basketball and its not like he's homeless or going to have trouble putting food on his table. hes got the best trainers in the world helping him. and he still got his big money deal to sit this year.
TorontoBaller
Analyst
And1: 1,390

Post#126 » by TorontoBaller » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:37 am

I did not
It’s sad

But my buddy Patty-boy danced a jig.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,101

Post#127 » by tecumseh18 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:37 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
dukes_wild wrote:Anyone who cheered when KD got hurt is a bad human being. Shame on you.

Nah, they're just human. Quit being self-righteous.

I was there. I sold my tickets for Games 1 and 2 because I knew KD would return in Game 5 and I wanted to see the Warriors whole roster.

If you were there, it was a clinic in mob mentality. It goes without saying that there has never been a higher leverage game in Raptors history. The intensity was intoxicating and suffocating. It was like what Hitler's notorious night rallies must have been like.

Here's the backdrop:

1. KD kills us. Always has, always will. And sure enough, he was killing us in this particular game.

2. KD signed with a 73 win team that narrowly beat his team in the previous playoffs, just to have an easy shot at a championship.

3. Burner account

4. It had been revealed on this board that KD or his agent had previously signalled to the franchise (maybe through Drake) that he was not going to sign here when he became an FA in 2016. So Masai spent the cap space on DeMarre Carroll the summer before. Bit of a comedown.

5. KD only came back because his team was down 3-1. He came back specifically to deny us our deserved championship. He came back against any reasonable medical advice. We all knew it was a stupid decision from the get-go. Karma's a bitch.

So ... yeah. If that makes me a bad person. I am that guy. I initially reacted the same way the OP did.

And Durant gets it. He told Serge on his show that he didn't blame the Raptor fans for their initial reaction. He's a competitor - despite Point 2 above.
Senbonzakura
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,920

Post#128 » by Senbonzakura » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:54 pm

Wouldn't say I cheered, but I'm not gonna pretend I was concerned or unhappy about it.

This franchise has had bad luck for like 2 decades on top of being poorly managed, was nice to see something go in our favour for once. Warriors have also been insanely lucky. The first time they won the title, a key star on every team they faced was injured at some point in each series. They also were immensely lucky to get Durant in the first place since the cap increase due to the new TV deal just happened to come right before they had to give their guys new contracts.

So yeah I was happy when he got hurt. Also agree with the poster above on his 5th point. They tried to deploy an injured player to turn around the series and he got re-injured... that's not our problem lol.

Plus they still had a superstar in Curry. If he was so good, he should've been able to outplay Kawhi and turn around the series but he couldn't. Kinda sad that you need 4 All-NBA players to win.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#129 » by Hero » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:30 pm

I was annoyed that he even came back. Game after game of him being questionable etc.

Then he plays when there is a clear risk of injury.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#130 » by Pooh_Jeter » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:53 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:To help further the discussion, I'll also share that when Klay Thompson went down, I let loose a sombre "Holy **** we just won the championship." I immediately felt bittersweet about his injury because I understood instinctively that it would diminish our triumph in the eyes of others. Not ours. Or mine at least. I knew for a fact that we certainly had the brains and brawn to beat them with a healthy Klay, but his injury made that an absolute certainty.

I felt relieved, relaxed, and happy, but I refrained from cheering at that moment. I certainly felt the same underlying motives to just jump up and holler for the enemy losing yet another man, but I was capable of overriding that reptilian reaction on that occasion.

Unlike with Durant (where both I and the crowd erupted in that moment), I was way too tense to feel much of anything when Klay got hurt. I obviously didn’t mind him leaving the game at that time, but I didn’t think it was a guarantee of victory or a championship at that time. It was game 7 where it would have really helped our chances and I really didn’t want it to get to that point.

So wait, with Durant people who didn't cheer are lying and it's impossible to regulate human emotion. 100% of people would have cheered in that moment.

Yet, with Klay going down you actually had underlying circumstances and used logic to come to terms with what happened?

You must be a lawyer with the way you conveniently frame arguments to make yourself look better.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
Smithers
Pro Prospect
And1: 180

Post#131 » by Smithers » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:01 pm

Anyone who jumped up & down/yelled/screamed/high 5'ed/cheered needs to have their head examined. One of the most disrespectful things I've witnessed. Another human being in pain shouldn't cause joy in others. I hope KD comes back better than ever & takes over the league.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,645

Post#132 » by C_Money » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:21 pm

Smithers wrote: Another human being in pain shouldn't cause joy in others.

No, but a higher chance of winning the championship sure as hell does.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,512

Post#133 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:12 pm

The bad guys in all this are the people who allowed him to play. The fans didn't injure him.
Chandler55
Pro Prospect
And1: 341

Post#134 » by Chandler55 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:23 pm

I didnt cheer but I was definitely :D inside. I don't really hate anyone for cheering, emotions were high, and the odds swung deeply in our favor. I dont think anyone meant any genuine hate at kd for it. Would it be nice if everyone was classy, sure, and it did leave a small black mark on the fanbase, but 26 years of no championships can do a lot to the mental
benjamink15
Pro Prospect
And1: 903

Post#135 » by benjamink15 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:32 pm

I teared up immediately when i saw him go down. I thought he was stupid for taking the chance to play and in my heart I knew what just happened. I felt he would never be the same Kevin Durant again.

For some context, Kevin Durant has been my favourite NBA player ever. I loved him more than I loved Vince Carter. I became an OKC fan as a result and even when he left i still support OKC in the West. It broke my heart when he made the bitch move to join Golden State and I wanted nothing more than for that team and him to lose. But I still love Kevin the basketball player and hope one day he plays for a team I cheer for.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#136 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:43 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:So wait, with Durant people who didn't cheer are lying and it's impossible to regulate human emotion. 100% of people would have cheered in that moment.

Strawman. What I said was this: "For a Raptors fan not to have any kind of immediate positive emotional reaction/response (even internally) to seeing Durant fall down on that play, they're either lying now to save face (which is a safe bet) or they'd have to be some kind of purely logical Vulcan being."

Even internally being the key words. I grant that not everyone"would have expressed that initial feeling outwardly, but most of the crowd that night certainly did.

Yet, with Klay going down you actually had underlying circumstances and used logic to come to terms with what happened?

Where on earth in that post does it suggest that logic had anything to do with my reaction to Klay? Logic had nothing to do with it all. I said I was too nervous/tense to react outwardly.

You must be a lawyer with the way you conveniently frame arguments to make yourself look better.

If I cared about looking good here at all, I would have just lied and said I didn't cheer at all.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#137 » by Randle McMurphy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:55 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:I was there. I sold my tickets for Games 1 and 2 because I knew KD would return in Game 5 and I wanted to see the Warriors whole roster.

If you were there, it was a clinic in mob mentality. It goes without saying that there has never been a higher leverage game in Raptors history. The intensity was intoxicating and suffocating. It was like what Hitler's notorious night rallies must have been like.

Agreed. And all the attention was on Durant's every movement (because, as you recall, the entire narrative of the series was framed around Durant's return as the Warriors saviour). It was a situation that really can't be replicated or compared to any other athlete injury that I can recall given the magnitude of it all. Such a pressure cooker that night.

Here's the backdrop:

1. KD kills us. Always has, always will. And sure enough, he was killing us in this particular game.

2. KD signed with a 73 win team that narrowly beat his team in the previous playoffs, just to have an easy shot at a championship.

3. Burner account

4. It had been revealed on this board that KD or his agent had previously signalled to the franchise (maybe through Drake) that he was not going to sign here when he became an FA in 2016. So Masai spent the cap space on DeMarre Carroll the summer before. Bit of a comedown.

5. KD only came back because his team was down 3-1. He came back specifically to deny us our deserved championship. He came back against any reasonable medical advice. We all knew it was a stupid decision from the get-go. Karma's a bitch.

All true. Durant was the guy I considered to have ruined the NBA for the past few seasons and was now potentially on the verge of potentially doing the same to the Raptors' best season ever. I don't like admitting it, but I expect my distaste for him as a basketball player had something to do with my initial reaction too.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#138 » by fbalmeida » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:04 am

OakleyDokely wrote:The bad guys in all this are the people who allowed him to play. The fans didn't injure him.

Ultimately, this is and will continue to be the most salient fact and lasting memory from the entire incident.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,956

Post#139 » by SHFT » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:54 pm

firstly, respect OP for being honest. I personally cheered because Ibaka stole the ball but as he was running away with it, you could see Durant on the floor which is when everything clicked for me.

I didnt cheer for his injury, but deep down I knew that was game and series (and of course was happy for that sole reason) which is probably just as bad now that I type it out lol.

Sorry KD
The_Toro
Analyst
And1: 1,621

Post#140 » by The_Toro » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:14 pm

i cheered for the turnover

then when i saw him down on replay I felt bad for him.

I was happy he was out for the series
Thank You Turbo_Zone

Return to Toronto Raptors