ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Raptors vs Suns Scrimmage July 28th 3PM TSN

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

steamed hams
General Manager
And1: 19,431

Re: GT: Raptors vs Suns Scrimmage July 28th 3PM TSN 

Post#321 » by steamed hams » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:21 pm

Blow it up
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#322 » by Scott Hall » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:21 pm

yooooo give this IBM Watson kid the max
GooniesNeverDie
RealGM
And1: 11,171

Post#323 » by GooniesNeverDie » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:23 pm

lmao these guys don't even pass dewan the ball

Sent from my SM-G960F using RealGM mobile app
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,454

Post#324 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:23 pm

Oh Stanley, I guess you might as well brick a 3 at the buzzer. It's probably the last time you'll see the court this year.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,873

Post#325 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:26 pm

Boucher is turning 28 in about 5 months. LOOOOOL and people still consider him a valuable prospect.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#326 » by RaptorsNorth » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:38 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:Boucher is turning 28 in about 5 months. LOOOOOL and people still consider him a valuable prospect.
he should be in trade package. It’s going to take too much to get him where he needs to be. The guy added 15 pounds of muscle and he’s still being out muscle by players skinner than him like the skinny a.. player on Houston.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#327 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:51 pm

fbalmeida wrote:Eish here come the drama queens.

Just relax.

Bucks lost to the Pelicans. Clippers lost to the Kings, who are likely going something like 0-8.

Honestly, I think good coaches intentionally try to lose these last games, just to teach their respective teams that they're not unbeatable.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#328 » by RaptorsNorth » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:25 pm

Best players in these 3 games in order

Ibaka
Lowry
Pascal
OG
Gasol
Norm, Thomas and Davis
RHJ,Fred
Chris
bench Scrubs
McCaw
Stanley Johnson
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#329 » by Indeed » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:55 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:Eish here come the drama queens.

Just relax.

Bucks lost to the Pelicans. Clippers lost to the Kings, who are likely going something like 0-8.

Honestly, I think good coaches intentionally try to lose these last games, just to teach their respective teams that they're not unbeatable.

I think some of those turnovers are intentional, trying to avoid injury instead of drawing fouls.

However, two big reasons we lost which is probably not intended:
1a) We allowed Rubio to shoot the 3s (which I would do that if I am Nurse), but he is shooting the lights out
1b) We adjusted to cover Rubio and their 5-out, but our scheme or rotation is not good enough against that. The Suns is the number one team assist in the league, they found the open 3 (part of it is our rotation as well)
2a) Turnovers, no matter the starter or bench. The Suns played an aggressive defensive scheme similar to ours, covering further out and being very tight.
2b) Bench has a lot of unforced error, from dribbling or bad passes. They are better than the previous game, setting up and trying to find mis-match, but not patient enough and trying to do too much when being pressured. Our bench is undersized as well with Ibaka starting.
2c) Our jumbo lineup has not been performing as good, entry pass was not thrown well, and opponent countered with their stretch 5s causes us a lot of problems on the defensive end
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#330 » by fbalmeida » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:27 pm

Very true about our team lacking a 3rd big to support prolonged use of the jumbo lineup. I still think we should've made a move to acquire a guy like Baynes.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#331 » by tecumseh18 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:44 pm

fbalmeida wrote:Very true about our team lacking a 3rd big to support prolonged use of the jumbo lineup. I still think we should've made a move to acquire a guy like Baynes.

I've always liked Baynes. I was really expecting a move like that, because our (a) #25-27 draft pick in a so-so draft class isn't worth that much to us when we can pick up guys like Fred or TD for free, (b) Raps don't want the pick's guaranteed salary on the cap going into 2021 free agency, and (c) losing Marc or Serge during the playoffs would really hurt us.

Baynes fits the Raptors' offence perfectly. We're trying to draw the Goberts, Embiid's etc. out to the perimeter to open up the paint. Boucher just isn't that guy.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#332 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:51 pm

Baynes would have still been an insurance big for us, and not worth the 1st. I don't know if Nurse is serious about a superbig line-up or just using the freebie games to experiment.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant

Post#333 » by fbalmeida » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:58 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:Very true about our team lacking a 3rd big to support prolonged use of the jumbo lineup. I still think we should've made a move to acquire a guy like Baynes.

I've always liked Baynes. I was really expecting a move like that, because our (a) #25-27 draft pick in a so-so draft class isn't worth that much to us when we can pick up guys like Fred or TD for free, (b) Raps don't want the pick's guaranteed salary on the cap going into 2021 free agency, and (c) losing Marc or Serge during the playoffs would really hurt us.

Baynes fits the Raptors' offence perfectly. We're trying to draw the Goberts, Embiid's etc. out to the perimeter to open up the paint. Boucher just isn't that guy.

Agreed. As our roster stands, my expectations drop to the floor the moment we (Knock on wood) lose Gasol to injury.
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#334 » by tecumseh18 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:05 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Baynes would have still been an insurance big for us, and not worth the 1st. I don't know if Nurse is serious about a superbig line-up or just using the freebie games to experiment.

Agreed. A first for an expiring Baynes by itself would have been too much, since he was simply insurance or 10 mpg max if Serge and Marc were heathy. Masai did a great job of only relinquishing two (very late) seconds for PJ to the same Suns. I was thinking that Suns would have to send back at least a second rounder as well.

But Raps are definitely thinnest up front. Marc obviously has had health problems. Serge could easily get in a tangle and miss a few games. (He almost did against Portland.) And if either or both happen in the playoffs, Raps are toast. Given the cap hit of the first, I thought the first was more disposable this season.

Finally, Bayne's Bird rights would be insurance if Serge walks for a big three year deal elsewhere.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,142

Post#335 » by Chandan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:08 pm

Stanley has probably played his last competitive NBA game in his career. (he might still get some time this and next season when the raptors are blowing the other team out)
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,142

Post#336 » by Chandan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:11 pm

Do they really not care about fixing Bouchers jumpshot?

That thing needs to be dismantled and built from ground up. 28 is not too old for that either.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#337 » by Indeed » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:17 pm

fbalmeida wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

Agreed. As our roster stands, my expectations drop to the floor the moment we (Knock on wood) lose Gasol to injury.

I thought we may prefer someone agile to cover more ground than someone being big but slow. Someone like Amir Johnson but with better shooting.

But we lacked some shootings as well, even Boucher can't even get his 3 point shot like he used to in G-League, which is a big disappointment. We probably want some of our bigs to be at least a 3+D.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,497

Post#338 » by bballsparkin » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:21 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:Some of these Suns players are really playing hard in the last two minutes of a blowout game that doesn't mean anything. I'm not sure if that says something good about them, or it's just really stupid when the main thing should be for people to avoid injury right now.

To be fair, they are 6 games back from 8th with 4 non playoff teams ahead of them. This is their moment hah.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#339 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:15 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:Baynes would have still been an insurance big for us, and not worth the 1st. I don't know if Nurse is serious about a superbig line-up or just using the freebie games to experiment.

Agreed. A first for an expiring Baynes by itself would have been too much, since he was simply insurance or 10 mpg max if Serge and Marc were heathy. Masai did a great job of only relinquishing two (very late) seconds for PJ to the same Suns. I was thinking that Suns would have to send back at least a second rounder as well.

But Raps are definitely thinnest up front. Marc obviously has had health problems. Serge could easily get in a tangle and miss a few games. (He almost did against Portland.) And if either or both happen in the playoffs, Raps are toast. Given the cap hit of the first, I thought the first was more disposable this season.

Finally, Bayne's Bird rights would be insurance if Serge walks for a big three year deal elsewhere.

Not to disparage Baynes, but I think if either Marc or Serge went down we'd be done anyway. As is, we're still a longshot to make the Finals. I'm glad they kept the pick. It's nice to know we can and have added players out of the draft, but it's still not an expected result and those deals come with less control. I definitely wanted insurance over Boucher, but I thought that would cost less than a future first (like a buyout).
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant

Post#340 » by fbalmeida » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:30 am

Indeed wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

I thought we may prefer someone agile to cover more ground than someone being big but slow. Someone like Amir Johnson but with better shooting.

But we lacked some shootings as well, even Boucher can't even get his 3 point shot like he used to in G-League, which is a big disappointment. We probably want some of our bigs to be at least a 3+D.

Looking around the league i'd submit shooting from the 5 spot to be one of our strengths. No other team has two bigs that can reliably bomb +39% from beyond the arc.

Return to Toronto Raptors