ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions

Moderators: Patman, pbj, Alfred, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, niQ, Rhettmatic

johanliebert
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,006
And1: 2,641
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
 

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#61 » by johanliebert » Sun Aug 2, 2020 9:20 am

that was an unprofessional question i wish he put that reporter in their place.

BLM is an lbgtq and feminist movement. its not about black lives..look at who funds it and their leaders lol
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 53,243
And1: 17,349
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#62 » by Fairview4Life » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:08 am

Actually the follow up question was a very good and decidedly professional question. Don’t be mad because Isaac couldn’t explain his position well.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 53,243
And1: 17,349
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#63 » by Fairview4Life » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:11 am

Chandan wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Chandan wrote:anyone made the connection that he once invited all his teammates to church and no one showed up? I am sure he MEANT well.

If you dont owe him an explanation on why you dont believe in his god (which presents all the goodness in the world), then he doesn't owe you an explanation on why he doesn't want to kneel or put on a Tshirt. He just has a different set of believe system that's all.
.


Ah yes, Christianity. That thing that has presented all the goodness in the world.


swing and a miss. I didnt even know he was a Christian. could have be catholic or whatever. Howoever I am not surprise yet again some people would have this basic notion mixed up. GOD =/= people that worships god

i am not even religious and even i understand that


...what do you think Catholics are?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
Posts: 28,420
And1: 13,006
Joined: Apr 28, 2008

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#64 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:43 pm

How is this newsworthy? Sports journalists ask bad questions in every single press conference, and athletes mostly give terrible answers that don't adequately answer those questions. Someone trying to probe what is going on in Jonathan Isaac's head is to be expected because he did something no one else on his team was doing. Is there some sort of rulebook on what you're allowed to talk about in a conversation?
will
RealGM
Posts: 19,592
And1: 13,750
Joined: Jan 08, 2006
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant
Contact:
         

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#65 » by will » Sun Aug 2, 2020 1:33 pm

Just because Isaac did something different and did not follow the herd mentality, the media is questioning him.

Further reinforces how much people still have to learn.
kj_
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,541
And1: 1,387
Joined: Feb 06, 2013

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#66 » by kj_ » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:02 pm

will wrote:Just because Isaac did something different and did not follow the herd mentality, the media is questioning him.

Further reinforces how much people still have to learn.

You missed missed the mark here. He didn’t something different which invited the opportunity for him to speak his position. He did a rather poor job of it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
will
RealGM
Posts: 19,592
And1: 13,750
Joined: Jan 08, 2006
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant
Contact:
         

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#67 » by will » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:04 pm

kj_ wrote:
will wrote:Just because Isaac did something different and did not follow the herd mentality, the media is questioning him.

Further reinforces how much people still have to learn.

You missed missed the mark here. He didn’t something different which invited the opportunity for him to speak his position. He did a rather poor job of it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


The fact he has to speak on his position, and justify what and why he is doing what he is doing is just a bit much at this point.
Again, I understand as a professional athlete, this comes with the territory and job.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
Posts: 28,420
And1: 13,006
Joined: Apr 28, 2008

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#68 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:10 pm

will wrote:
kj_ wrote:
will wrote:Just because Isaac did something different and did not follow the herd mentality, the media is questioning him.

Further reinforces how much people still have to learn.

You missed missed the mark here. He didn’t something different which invited the opportunity for him to speak his position. He did a rather poor job of it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


The fact he has to speak on his position, and justify what and why he is doing what he is doing is just a bit much at this point.
Again, I understand as a professional athlete, this comes with the territory and job.


He didn't have to explain himself. He chose to.
will
RealGM
Posts: 19,592
And1: 13,750
Joined: Jan 08, 2006
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant
Contact:
         

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#69 » by will » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:11 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
will wrote:
kj_ wrote:You missed missed the mark here. He didn’t something different which invited the opportunity for him to speak his position. He did a rather poor job of it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


The fact he has to speak on his position, and justify what and why he is doing what he is doing is just a bit much at this point.
Again, I understand as a professional athlete, this comes with the territory and job.


He didn't have to explain himself. He chose to.


Fair play.
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#70 » by beanbag » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:53 pm

Chandan wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Chandan wrote:
swing and a miss. I didnt even know he was a Christian. could have be catholic or whatever. Howoever I am not surprise yet again some people would have this basic notion mixed up. GOD =/= people that worships god

i am not even religious and even i understand that


Counterpoint, God doesn't exist and all of that worship is stupid.


And they would have burned you on a stake for that 200 years ago unless you say otherwise. Is that okay to you?


No, and that's why we don't do that anymore. No one is burning anyone at any stake as evidenced by current reality of that not happening.
Southward1
General Manager
Posts: 8,990
And1: 2,364
Joined: Jul 31, 2006
       

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#71 » by Southward1 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:58 pm

The tone and wording of the question was completely unprofessional. She sounded like she was bullying him or she was part of some cult. The way he stayed calm and answered the question was unbelievable.
User avatar
souljah006
Junior
Posts: 424
And1: 73
Joined: Aug 22, 2003

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#72 » by souljah006 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:30 pm

There is nothing wrong about what Jonathan Isaac did and said. He delivery could have been better. His belief is focused on battling racism and any other issue through the love of Christ and not through the mass following of protests, slogan and t-shirts. It takes courage to speak up in a time when it's easier for everyone to just follow what everyone does and jump on the bandwagon.

At no point did he ever say that he didn't support or wanted to stand up for what was going on. He felt there was a more effective and right way of doing it.

The Media (some of them) are absolute idiots because there are searching for the next thing to garner attention and not because they actually care.
Image
kj_
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,541
And1: 1,387
Joined: Feb 06, 2013

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#73 » by kj_ » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:30 pm

Southward1 wrote:The tone and wording of the question was completely unprofessional. She sounded like she was bullying him or she was part of some cult. The way he stayed calm and answered the question was unbelievable.

That’s what you consider bullying? Really? The tone of that question?

Part of a cult? Come on now...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chandan
General Manager
Posts: 7,950
And1: 11,369
Joined: Nov 23, 2017
 

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#74 » by Chandan » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:23 pm

beanbag wrote:
Chandan wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Counterpoint, God doesn't exist and all of that worship is stupid.


And they would have burned you on a stake for that 200 years ago unless you say otherwise. Is that okay to you?


No, and that's why we don't do that anymore. No one is burning anyone at any stake as evidenced by current reality of that not happening.


yeah and we don't lynch black people anymore. we should stop right there and make no more progress right? no. Co-exsisting in harmony with people that are different should be the final goal. that includes black white asian rich poor gay straight young old atheists christan islam.
you dont need to understand what they are, you just gotta accept there are others that have views which doesnt resonate with you. u shouldn't blindly attack their character.
Image
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 25,197
And1: 24,021
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#75 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:54 pm

Chandan wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Chandan wrote:
And they would have burned you on a stake for that 200 years ago unless you say otherwise. Is that okay to you?


No, and that's why we don't do that anymore. No one is burning anyone at any stake as evidenced by current reality of that not happening.


yeah and we don't lynch black people anymore. we should stop right there and make no more progress right? no. Co-exsisting in harmony with people that are different should be the final goal. that includes black white asian rich poor gay straight young old atheists christan islam.
you dont need to understand what they are, you just gotta accept there are others that have views which doesnt resonate with you. u shouldn't blindly attack their character.


Real question, in your opinion; Does religion in any way cause the division you/we want to eliminate?
shefcurry
Junior
Posts: 300
And1: 480
Joined: Mar 30, 2016

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#76 » by shefcurry » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:04 pm

beanbag wrote:
Chandan wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Counterpoint, God doesn't exist and all of that worship is stupid.


And they would have burned you on a stake for that 200 years ago unless you say otherwise. Is that okay to you?


No, and that's why we don't do that anymore. No one is burning anyone at any stake as evidenced by current reality of that not happening.


You don’t think modern cancel culture isn’t burning people at the stake for expressing an unpopular opinion?
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#77 » by beanbag » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:04 pm

Chandan wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Chandan wrote:
And they would have burned you on a stake for that 200 years ago unless you say otherwise. Is that okay to you?


No, and that's why we don't do that anymore. No one is burning anyone at any stake as evidenced by current reality of that not happening.


yeah and we don't lynch black people anymore. we should stop right there and make no more progress right? no. Co-exsisting in harmony with people that are different should be the final goal. that includes black white asian rich poor gay straight young old atheists christan islam.
you dont need to understand what they are, you just gotta accept there are others that have views which doesnt resonate with you. u shouldn't blindly attack their character.


A lot of those religions, including atheism are all about blindly attacking people who don't believe what they believe.

You also don't have to accept others views if those views involve maintaining the oppressive status quo.
beanbag
Starter
Posts: 2,488
And1: 3,372
Joined: Apr 07, 2012

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#78 » by beanbag » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:05 pm

shefcurry wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Chandan wrote:
And they would have burned you on a stake for that 200 years ago unless you say otherwise. Is that okay to you?


No, and that's why we don't do that anymore. No one is burning anyone at any stake as evidenced by current reality of that not happening.


You don’t think modern cancel culture isn’t burning people at the stake for expressing an unpopular opinion?


I don't. I don't actually believe cancel culture is a thing.

Who has been unfairly cancelled?
shefcurry
Junior
Posts: 300
And1: 480
Joined: Mar 30, 2016

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#79 » by shefcurry » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:13 pm

beanbag wrote:
shefcurry wrote:
beanbag wrote:
No, and that's why we don't do that anymore. No one is burning anyone at any stake as evidenced by current reality of that not happening.


You don’t think modern cancel culture isn’t burning people at the stake for expressing an unpopular opinion?


I don't. I don't actually believe cancel culture is a thing.

Who has been unfairly cancelled?


Brendan Eich, co-founder of Mozilla was ousted for supporting proposition 8 in California years ago, and couldn’t get another job in Silicon Valley cause word was out that he didn’t support the LGBTQ movement. He lost his livelihood not because of anything professionally he did wrong, but because he didn’t think the right way. In fact, the guy who started the whole mess was gloating that he destroyed his life.
Pointgod
General Manager
Posts: 9,294
And1: 9,031
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: OT: Jonathan Isaac answers media (unecessary) questions 

Post#80 » by Pointgod » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:14 pm

Wait this is the question that people in this thread are up in arms about? This is pretty benign and soft ball as it gets. Even the follow up question was fair. I don’t see how Jonathan Isaac did a good job explaining his position. He can stand for the anthem the whole point of the protest is that people are free to do what they want, but it’s interesting that he didn’t want to wear a Blacklivesmatter shirt or any type of message. He did a poor job explaining why, not sure if it was nerves or he didn’t want to really put out his position.

Read on Twitter


The religious reasoning is bs because there are a lot of very religious players in the league that kneeled during the anthem, wore the tshirts and have been very outspoken about systemic racism.

Read on Twitter

Return to Toronto Raptors