ImageImageImageImageImage

What is OG's ceiling?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

What is OG Adobe's ceiling?

Starter on a contender (meaning he has peaked now)
3%
Quality starter but not a 'star' on a championship team
7%
All-NBA defense with 10 pts a game
5%
All-NBA defense with 15 pts a game (all-star)
46%
All-NBA defense with 20pts a game (top 10 player in the league)
14%
DPOY with 10 pts a game
2%
DPOY with 15 pts a game (top 10 MVP candidate)
10%
DPOY with 20 pts a game (top 5 MVP candidate)
14%

Total votes: 133

The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Re: What is OG's ceiling? 

Post#61 » by The Duke » Fri Aug 7, 2020 2:41 pm

Where did this ball hanging skills and aggressive approach come from since shutdown. If that is there to stay, he is gonna get praise in this playoff run.
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,831

Post#62 » by TravisScott55 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 2:59 pm

I think 18 ppg with all nba defense.
Knucknbuc
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,732

Post#63 » by Knucknbuc » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:15 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:His offense wasn't great, but Ron Artest had an uncanny ability to run the offense/act as a secondary ballhandler, which at the time was a rare sight for anyone that wasn't a guard. It's the only truly 'great' offensive skill he had, and that's relative to his era. Today that niche skill is a lot less special and doesn't stand out anymore, and his general inefficiency would be detrimental to a lot of teams' offenses. People see he had some decent scoring years of 17ppg and assume it was special considering he's a defensive player, but the problem is that he didn't get those points being a role player. He was usually the main cog or the 2nd option on those teams, so his raw scoring output doesn't matter as much.

I also don't think his defense would hold up nearly as well today. His era was starved of perimeter talent, and didn't feature nearly as much off the ball shooting action. In one on one situations the guy was as good as it got, but he was prone to being exploited to faster/quicker players because his lateral quickness was below average. Today the amount of talented perimeter players we have is mind boggling both in how athletic and skilled they are compared to the 2000's. No doubt he would still be great, but not arguably the best perimeter defender of all time. I think OG's defense translates to this modern era better, because for all his awkward movements, his lateral quickness is freakishly fast.

Basically if he never becomes Ron Artest, I'm fine with that. That comparison gets overstated.

I agree with most your points but... Artest played in a era with just as much perimeter talent as today: VC, Kobe, Tmac, Agent 0, Wade just to name the top tier. Aside from that Artest defended the opponent's scoring forwards like Carmelo, James, and some power forwards. You are understating his defensive impact.
yea i was about to say the samething too like huh? no wings? dont forget about ai,pierce,ray allen. nevermind some of just the get bucket guys that arent in the hof stephon marbury,jerry stack,jamal mashburn,latrell sprewell. thats just a few off the top of my head. i could make a that the wings then would smoke the wings now. they even allowed hand checking then. huge error in that guys post.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#64 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Fri Aug 7, 2020 4:30 pm

Psubs wrote:
will wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:Going to be a big difference between prime Artests efficiency compared to a potentially maxed out software Anunoby Adoby in a few years.

That is tough.

Prime Ron Ron was in the NBA MVP discussion. Not saying he was going to win it...but he was in the discussion.

Even a maxed out OG ADOBE software will be hard pressed to come close to prime Ron Ron in Indiana, as he was a legit 18-19 PPG scorer absolutely clamping down the opposing #1 options.

He was legit 21ppg and before the suspension he ascended to 24ppg.

I wasn't talking about ppg or overall value (ie will's post about artest being a MVP type). However, what you posted about his ppg is misleading, he averaged 24 ppg 1 season in 7 games. He didn't really ascend to anything. Though I don't really care to argue about what a good offensive player artest was or his ppg potential, unless you think he's some sort of very efficient scoring option.

I think definitely OG will be efficient, the question in my mind becomes can he expand his scoring opportunities enough to become a 20 ppg type of scorer.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#65 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Fri Aug 7, 2020 4:38 pm

Just looking at some basic advanced stats around that 7 game season where he had 24 ppg and an unsustainable 60% TS, he had seasons of under 50% TS, and close to 50% TS. I wouldn't call any seasons where you're scoring nearing a Mendoza level of efficiency to be valuable offensive seasons. He had the PPGZ though. I'll donate to charity if anunoby has terribly inefficient offensive seasons like those.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#66 » by Psubs » Fri Aug 7, 2020 5:41 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
Psubs wrote:
will wrote:
That is tough.

Prime Ron Ron was in the NBA MVP discussion. Not saying he was going to win it...but he was in the discussion.

Even a maxed out OG ADOBE software will be hard pressed to come close to prime Ron Ron in Indiana, as he was a legit 18-19 PPG scorer absolutely clamping down the opposing #1 options.

He was legit 21ppg and before the suspension he ascended to 24ppg.

I wasn't talking about ppg or overall value (ie will's post about artest being a MVP type). However, what you posted about his ppg is misleading, he averaged 24 ppg 1 season in 7 games. He didn't really ascend to anything. Though I don't really care to argue about what a good offensive player artest was or his ppg potential, unless you think he's some sort of very efficient scoring option.

I think definitely OG will be efficient, the question in my mind becomes can he expand his scoring opportunities enough to become a 20 ppg type of scorer.

I just mean he was able to make a leap (though chucking) like Donovan Mitchell offensively but with good defense.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#67 » by lobosloboslobos » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:38 am

Alright, time for a bump. A year ago when I created this poll most posters thought OG's ceiling at his career offensive peak would be 15 ppg. This year he is at 15.5 ppg. Since the all-star break (17 games) OG has averaged 17.8/5.4/2.5 on .612 TS% and 22% USG all while providing his usual elite shut down D.

OG Anunoby is 23 years old.

Let me ask again: what is his ceiling? In 5 years how good will he be? I thought it last year and I still think that he will be scoring over 20 ppg on elite efficiency while also being an all-NBA defender. Consistent all-star. MVP conversation.

come at me. :)
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,625

Post#68 » by Bruin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:03 am

He’s showing flashes of fluid motion and an actual offensive arsenal. I think 23-25ppg with elite defense is the ceiling for him, mostly cause he won’t be expected to score more than that with the other guys on the roster (Gary and a top 10 draft pick will help ease the scoring load hopefully).

Depending on our record, I can see him making some noise in MVP conversations in his prime.

I really hope the keys to the franchise aren’t handed to him too early like Pascal though. We all see how thats worked out and how much the additional pressure can be detrimental. I’d rather him continue his current growth trajectory and have him become the guy when he’s 27-28 years old
pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,249

Post#69 » by pingpongrac » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:14 am

OG's offensive development has been, by far, the best thing about this season. Looks more and more confident handling the ball and his finishing ability has been insane lately. Seems like any time he gets the ball in the post or he takes his man off the dribble, we have a 75% chance of scoring -- whether it be from OG going strong to the rim or finding a teammate with a slick little pass around the defenders.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using RealGM mobile app
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,617

Post#70 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:25 am

Another old thread bumped.

I thought All Defense and 15 ppg before, now bump the points to 20. He may deserve DPOY someday but it is too political for a Raptor to ever get it
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,574

Post#71 » by dTox » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:30 am

Ron Artest? That would be one hell of a return for the 23rd pick
TBZ for the win
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#72 » by Psubs » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:16 am

Karl Malone with 3pt range!!! :D
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#73 » by God Squad » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:24 am

He's already surpassed what I thought. I saw a struggle 12ppg with elite defense. He's dropping 20+ regularly this year.
Par36
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,023

Post#74 » by Par36 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:46 am

Potential to be a top MVP/DPOY candidate.

One guy one the team I wouldn't trade.
Knucknbuc
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,732

Post#75 » by Knucknbuc » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:42 pm

MVP?? Pass that **** over here. No doubt of has been good def exceeded my expectations scoring wise but still mvp? Y’all are crazy and setting yourselves up for failure

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#76 » by Mikistan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:45 pm

Knucknbuc wrote:MVP?? Pass that **** over here. No doubt of has been good def exceeded my expectations scoring wise but still mvp? Y’all are crazy and setting yourselves up for failure

Marty_Budda
Sixth Man
And1: 2,801

Post#77 » by Marty_Budda » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:57 pm

And this is why so many people turn on our players once they get paid smh. Such unrealistic expectations. MVP and 25 ppg with elite D?!?! It could happen but I’d say chances are very low. Jaylen brown is 24 and averaging 25 yet nobody is calling him a future mvp winner.

20ppg with elite D and boarder line all star is what I think he’ll be at.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#78 » by slicedbread2 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:33 pm

dTox wrote:Ron Artest? That would be one hell of a return for the 23rd pick

I saw him as a Ron Artest lite minus working at circuit city and being mentally unstable. No joke during his time on the Bulls Jerry Krause caught him working at circuit city and when asked why he was doing it, Ron said he wanted discounts on stuff. Funniest crap I've heard besides drinking Hennessy in the locker room in between halfs during that time.

It's actually amazing that Grievis Vasquez was turned into the following:

-2015 2nd round pick that became Norm Powell. Dude ends up playing solid and makes Terrence Ross expendable. Raptors end up flipping Norm for Gary Trent Jr. and Rodney Hood. Gary could end up being something more and it'll be fun to watch.
-2017 Clippers lotto pro. 1st. This extra pick did the following: it allowed the Raptors to send the lower of their 2 1sts to Orlando with Terrence Ross to get Serge Ibaka who's days as a 4 were numbered but revitalized when he became a 5. This extra pick also allowed Masai&co. to dump DeMarre Carroll's contract with a 2018 1st+2nd. OG falling all the way to 23rd made it possible and based off his rookie year and doing a solid job on LBJ given the circumstances it made it all the more worthwhile.

Grievis united Raptors and Maryland Terrapins fans into grieving for him when John Wall abused him. Sadly for Vasquez, his ankle injuries caused him to retire in 2016 after 1 failed year in Milwaukee and a failed stint in Brooklyn.

OG has been the one positive to this otherwise forgettable season. Hopefully they can get a top 10 pick in this year's draft and nail it.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#79 » by MixxSRC » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:38 pm

"Quality starter but not a 'star' on a championship team"

Voted this last time and I still stand by it. But he's been impressive
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#80 » by MixxSRC » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:39 pm

Mikistan wrote:
Knucknbuc wrote:MVP?? Pass that **** over here. No doubt of has been good def exceeded my expectations scoring wise but still mvp? Y’all are crazy and setting yourselves up for failure

Return to Toronto Raptors