ImageImageImageImageImage

What is OG's ceiling?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

What is OG Adobe's ceiling?

Starter on a contender (meaning he has peaked now)
3%
Quality starter but not a 'star' on a championship team
7%
All-NBA defense with 10 pts a game
5%
All-NBA defense with 15 pts a game (all-star)
46%
All-NBA defense with 20pts a game (top 10 player in the league)
14%
DPOY with 10 pts a game
2%
DPOY with 15 pts a game (top 10 MVP candidate)
10%
DPOY with 20 pts a game (top 5 MVP candidate)
14%

Total votes: 133

douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,320

Re: What is OG's ceiling? 

Post#121 » by douggood » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:34 pm

where is the extension thread from the first week of the season where people were calling it a terrible extension etc after 5 games.

edit here it is viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2031951&hilit=extension&start=280
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,547

Post#122 » by Psubs » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:35 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
vulture wrote:An all defense monster who will never be anything more than a 4th option on a good team imo.
I love OG, but I don't see a 20 PPG scorer with good efficiency on a good team.
He's already a 16PPG scorer with great efficiency. 20 PPG isn't exactly a reach anymore.

His FT shooting is trending upwards to likely low 80's. He cold easily be around 20 for the year next year and Pascal having less shots is a good thing for his own efficiency. If they can't get an alpha, another #2 and Trent that can take shots away from Pascal may help spread the burden on offense.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Post#123 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:41 pm

OG can defend anyone including the toughest SFs in the game, and should be all-defense. You can't ask him to be a number one scorer and lockdown defender at the same time. OG is your perfect third option right now. Maybe second (like between Christie and Pippen) was later down the road. But OG should remain in that role regardless of what we have at 1 and 2, and you look to improve (or for improvements) from 1 and 2 eventually instead.

The guy isn't the best player we have - maybe - but he's by far the most important player we have. It's so hard to replace SF and especially all-defense SF in this league. He's virtually untouchable on that deal, outside of a main piece in a package for of a superstar (but who does he's the guy you want behind the star) or for a top pick in a draft if you're tearing it down.
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#124 » by Yeezus_ » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:44 pm

OG's stats the past 2 weeks are ridiculously impressive on elite efficiency. He's always guarding the opponent's best player too.
Yeezy SZN approaching
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,676

Post#125 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:56 pm

If he's putting up 20+ next year, while a top five defender...the talk around here is going to look drastically different.

Like, Simmons is 14.6 ppg this year. OG would be walking away at that point in the discussion.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,331

Post#126 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:06 pm

Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#127 » by Pooh_Jeter » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:20 pm

OG is not only the most important player on the team, but the best. The window of contention around this team should be around the pick/OG, not FVV and Siakam.

The 3 point shot has become almost automatic which is a great sign, but you aren't exactly seeing a ton of diversity in the looks he is creating from 3. His handle and fluidity with the ball still isn't great, but you see more and more creative finishes and drives around the basket that exhibit growth in his game. It's still tough to envision OG becoming an above average shot creator and it's clearly the biggest area of need in his offensive profile. It's where the Kawhi comparisons fall short. Kawhi literally has a MJ like bag to get his shot off, I'd be shocked if OG could come anywhere close to that.

The consistency he has been showing lately is super important, he can't be going on extended lapses in his effectiveness and he has to stay healthy. The issue is that while it's obvious the improvements he has made, these have also been meaningless games where his usage rate has increased by 4-5%. He is still super efficient which is great, but you can't just copy and paste these types of games and usage to next season.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,859

Post#128 » by Kingsway_fan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:44 pm

douggood wrote:where is the extension thread from the first week of the season where people were calling it a terrible extension etc after 5 games.

Well he was atrocious the first 10 games or so... like baynes and norm.... but both he and norm turned it around impressively....
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#129 » by Yeezus_ » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:55 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:
douggood wrote:where is the extension thread from the first week of the season where people were calling it a terrible extension etc after 5 games.

Well he was atrocious the first 10 games or so... like baynes and norm.... but both he and norm turned it around impressively....

Maybe give players more than 10 games?
Yeezy SZN approaching
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,889

Post#130 » by vulture » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:57 pm

I would prefer OG shoot for being a DPOY rather than a 20 PG. Expecting him to be both is setting him for disappointment imo.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Post#131 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:23 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:Who ever is the best dribbling/handle coach out there you lock OG in the gym with him all summer

He goes by handlelife on IG - always works with CP3 & a few other cats and he definitely has one of the best handles on the planet. OG needs to lock in with him all summer. I leave comments on his post all the time to work with the raps lol

If he needs a coach for his handle, he should be seeing the source. God Shammgod.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#132 » by Psubs » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:34 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:OG is not only the most important player on the team, but the best. The window of contention around this team should be around the pick/OG, not FVV and Siakam.

The 3 point shot has become almost automatic which is a great sign, but you aren't exactly seeing a ton of diversity in the looks he is creating from 3. His handle and fluidity with the ball still isn't great, but you see more and more creative finishes and drives around the basket that exhibit growth in his game. It's still tough to envision OG becoming an above average shot creator and it's clearly the biggest area of need in his offensive profile. It's where the Kawhi comparisons fall short. Kawhi literally has a MJ like bag to get his shot off, I'd be shocked if OG could come anywhere close to that.

The consistency he has been showing lately is super important, he can't be going on extended lapses in his effectiveness and he has to stay healthy. The issue is that while it's obvious the improvements he has made, these have also been meaningless games where his usage rate has increased by 4-5%. He is still super efficient which is great, but you can't just copy and paste these types of games and usage to next season.

I was saying this last season! :nod: His prime might start early like now. :D I'm hoping for a 12 year injury free prime.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,965

Post#133 » by anotherhomer » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:41 pm

Ceiling:
Ron Artest 2.0 without the craziness
Kawhi 2.0
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,688

Post#134 » by Clay Davis » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:48 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:Alright, time for a bump. A year ago when I created this poll most posters thought OG's ceiling at his career offensive peak would be 15 ppg. This year he is at 15.5 ppg. Since the all-star break (17 games) OG has averaged 17.8/5.4/2.5 on .612 TS% and 22% USG all while providing his usual elite shut down D.

OG Anunoby is 23 years old.

Let me ask again: what is his ceiling? In 5 years how good will he be? I thought it last year and I still think that he will be scoring over 20 ppg on elite efficiency while also being an all-NBA defender. Consistent all-star. MVP conversation.

come at me. :)
So... he'd be the poor man's Kawhi? Sign me up
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
PT416
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,243

Post#135 » by PT416 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:55 pm

His ceiling is still far away. He has to level up a few more times defensively to be a DPOY candidate. We tend to overrate him based on his defensive potential rather than the reality of his defense right now. He has a chance though. Overall, realistic ceiling is low end all-star. But if he does some unreal stuff he can end up being a top 15 player.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#136 » by Danny1616 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:07 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:OG is not only the most important player on the team, but the best. The window of contention around this team should be around the pick/OG, not FVV and Siakam.

I'm not saying OG will be like Kawhi, the chances of that are slim.

However, to be fair to OG, at 23 years old neither Kawhi or Derozan had great post-up games, elite footwork, or possessed the "bag of tricks" as you call it. At Kawhi at 23 was the best 3 + D in the league but still quite raw offensively and couldn't really create his own shot. Derozan at 23 had a nice little mid-range game and was a high leaper, but his ball handling skills were pretty bad and he did have near the level of footwork that he has now.

In past years OG concerned me because of how rigid he looked mobility wise, but he actually looks more fluid this year which is a good sign. Let's see what he can do over the next couple seasons.
Blood Orange
Sixth Man
And1: 2,795

Post#137 » by Blood Orange » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:27 pm

Psubs
RealGM

Post#138 » by Psubs » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:32 pm

JuelzSantana wrote:Image

Who's beside Drexler?

Karl Malone is his ceiling.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,333

Post#139 » by tdotrep2 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:32 pm

OG just needs a handle man, that raises his game to no end
Blood Orange
Sixth Man
And1: 2,795

Post#140 » by Blood Orange » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:40 pm

Psubs wrote:
JuelzSantana wrote:Image

Who's beside Drexler?

Karl Malone is his ceiling.

Otis Smith, and Dominique Wilkins, who also participated in the dunk contest that year

Return to Toronto Raptors