ImageImageImageImageImage

For those who think Giannis will come to Toronto, why do you think so and what are some good reasons for Giannis to come

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

TheWave
Rookie
And1: 789

Re: For those who think Giannis will come to Toronto, why do you think so and what are some good reasons for Giannis to  

Post#41 » by TheWave » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:39 am

I run with the assumption we aren't getting him. I say that because it's the most likely outcome.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,617

Re: For those who think Giannis will come to Toronto, why do you think so and what are some good reasons for Giannis to 

Post#42 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:23 pm

chupacabras wrote:Reasons it could happen:
1) Massai and the African connection
2) The infrastructure (incl Nurse)
3) Right timing, a competitive team now, good pieces
4) International player, he's not American, no where to go home to
5) Cultural connection, Africa is most obvious, but also Greek population in TO
(Might Toronto be the closest thing to a home town for him in the NBA?)

How is Covid going to affect the international angle? If we have to play next season in a US city, a la the Blue Jays, that might not look so inviting to Giannis or any other free agent
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#43 » by RaptorsNorth » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:29 pm

A better question is what are people going to post in this thread that they didn't already post In the other 8 Giannis threads ?
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#44 » by ontnut » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:55 pm

Free penthouse condo and free food at restaurants.
Time for Change
Bench Warmer
And1: 727

Post#45 » by Time for Change » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:30 pm

Besides what everyone else has said, every other destination is in the US, with an increasing divided and toxic culture. For people who didn’t grow up in the US leaving is a very viable option, especially if he wants to raise a family. Canada is not problem free, but there are less guns, less racism, and at least somewhat competent leadership (compare COVID responses and outcomes).
TheAlchemist
General Manager
And1: 8,235

Post#46 » by TheAlchemist » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:18 pm

Young_Buc wrote:
TheAlchemist wrote:I'll get burnt for this lol, but I had info that Giannis was the goal from 3 years ago. Kawhi was the gap stop.

I remember you (or someone on this board) mentioning this during Kawhi free agency

Yeah it was me in my infamous thread where everyone started going crazy lol.

It's been an internal Toronto organization mandate. To the point we've missed free agents that reached out to sign here due to salary.
Par36
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,023

Post#47 » by Par36 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:48 pm

International star in a international city.

I don't think he's coming to be honest.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,077

Post#48 » by Westside Gunn » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:11 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:Did anyone mention Donairs? Seriously, he comes to the Raps because of Masai. This should be new but very familiar territory and he will have this continuous group with ring(s) ready to support. If we sign Serge you can bet the wheels are already in motion.

What's the difference between donair and doner?
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
triple_threat
Veteran
And1: 2,045

Post#49 » by triple_threat » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:50 pm

Par36 wrote:International star in a international city.

What is an international city. What makes tor more international than nyc?
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,936

Post#50 » by Potential » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:27 pm

He's staying in Milwaukee. But if he leaves he's going to White Vegas

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Par36
Assistant Coach

Post#51 » by Par36 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:37 am

triple_threat wrote:

Sorry...it's a international city with an ownership that won't continue to make the team a laughing stock for years to come.

Giannis wants to go to NYK ..go for it :lol:
triple_threat
Veteran
And1: 2,045

Post#52 » by triple_threat » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:38 am

Par36 wrote:
triple_threat wrote:

Sorry...it's a international city with an ownership that won't continue to make the team a laughing stock for years to come.

What about LA, Miami, bay area - are they international?
Par36
Assistant Coach

Post#53 » by Par36 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:43 am

triple_threat wrote:
Par36 wrote:
triple_threat wrote:

What about LA, Miami, bay area - are they international?

Compared to NY and TO?

Not really.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,871

Post#54 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:50 pm

maternal85 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:The number of Nigerian immigrants to Canada has tripled in the last five years

For the fifth year in a row, more Nigerians emigrated to Canada than the year before as data published by the Canadian government shows the number of Nigerians issued permanent resident permits has tripled since 2015.

The rise in Nigerian immigrants heading to Canada reflects the North American country’s push to expand its labor force and lower the average age of its workers as its population advances in years. In 2019, Canada welcomed 341,000 immigrants in total (about 10,000 more it targeted) as part of its immigration policy to attract skilled workers.

For middle-class Nigerians increasingly looking to emigrate, Canada holds appeal for several reasons. Its ongoing drive to increase skill-based immigration offers a legal and long-term path not just to residency permits but also citizenship.

For Nigerians who can afford to relocate, the chance for their children to access better education standards —and the future opportunities that come with it—has also proven to be a major factor. Like most other immigrant groups, Nigerians moving to Canada mostly settle in Ontario.

Canada is projected to welcome nearly 700,000 immigrants over the next two years.

https://qz.com/africa/1801529/over-12000-nigerians-moved-to-canada-in-2019/

Meanwhile in America...

Nigeria had the biggest drop in visitors to the US last year as Trump’s visa policies took hold

The United States has recently banned Nigerians from receiving immigration visas as part of a new wave of restrictions from the Trump administration’s already long history of tough immigration clampdowns on Nigeria.

The travel measures taken against Nigeria by the United States last year are starting to have a clear and, potentially, long-term effect.

Data from the US travel and tourism office shows Nigeria recorded the largest global drop-off in visitors to the US. As of October 2019, 34,000 fewer Nigerians traveled to the US compared to the previous year—a 21% drop. After a sustained period of growth between 2011 and 2015, the number of Nigerian visitors to the US started to plateau in 2016 until the big drop-off last year.

https://qz.com/africa/1801529/over-12000-nigerians-moved-to-canada-in-2019/

------------------------

Why is this important ?
For the past couple of years Giannis has been trying to go to Nigeria for the first time. He's working on a documentary of going back to Nigeria, visiting family and relatives from both of his parents side that he's never met before. The fact that he's working on a Nigerian documentary shows how global he is.

Of course that documentary couldn't happen because of the pandemic and travel restrictions. But Masai's Giants of Africa documentary came out and Giannis watched it and waving about it on Twitter. So you can tell he was very inspired.

He has family back in Nigeria that has never met him nor seen him play live because they're not allowed inside the US.
Why would he wanna stay in a racist sh*thole in America that won't welcome his family when he can come to Toronto and provide a better living for all of his family and relatives.

He's not culturally Nigerian.

You sure about that?

But when he was home with his family, he learned and lived the Nigerian way.

“I grew up in a Nigerian home,” Antetokounmpo said. “Obviously, I was born in Greece and went to school in Greece. But at the end of the day when I go home, there is no Greek culture. It’s straight-up Nigerian culture.

“There are a lot of people that I see and I tell them that I am African. I am not just ‘The Greek Freak,’ ” Antetokounmpo said.

“It doesn’t matter what people may believe because of my nickname. There were a lot of times when I was in Greece where people said, ‘You’re not Greek. You’re Nigerian because you’re black.’ But then there have been a lot of times where it’s been the opposite, where people say, ‘You’re not African. You’re Greek. You’re ‘The Greek Freak.’ ’ But I don’t really care about that. Deep down, I know who I am and where I am from. That’s all that matters to me.”

Spoiler:
https://theundefeated.com/features/bucks-giannis-antetokounmpo-greek-freak-wants-to-go-back-to-his-nigerian-roots/
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#55 » by TheFutureMM » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:04 pm

Would love if he came but I'm not holding my breath. I think our current biggest selling points are:

- Top 5 Front-Office (Masai a BIG factor)
- Top 5 Coach
- Progressive International City
- Winning Pedigree

Thing is, a lot of other potential suiters will be able to provide similar set-ups (minus progressive International City) AND will likely have better existing teammates for Giannis to play with both short-term and long-term. I mean, in my mind, Miami is a much more appealing suitor than Toronto. As well, I'm not even sure Toronto is a better suitor than Milwaukee (teammates > city).

If Kyle Lowry, Serge, and Gasol were all 5 years younger I could see the case for us but right now the only longterm pieces are Siakam and OG (assuming his resigning will be a no brainer). In my opinion, Masai is going to have to secure another semi-big name in order to really sell Toronto to Giannis.

Return to Toronto Raptors