ImageImageImageImageImage

GIVE FVV MAX!

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Re: GIVE FVV MAX! 

Post#161 » by xAIRNESSx » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:22 am

I think we should and will re-sign Fred.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,645

Post#162 » by C_Money » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:24 am

Max contract would be a massive overpay for FVV. However if somebody offers it to him we pretty much have to match it. Can’t let anymore starters walk away for nothing.
Par36
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,023

Post#163 » by Par36 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:03 am

Don't.

Let him walk if over 16 million.

His size does come into play in the playoffs.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#164 » by MadDogSHWA » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:57 pm

Dalek wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:Surprising takes here saying he isn’t a point guard. He clearly is.

If it was clear we wouldn't have so many people saying he isn't a 1. I've been watching the NBA for 30+ years and the definition of point guard has definitely changed. 20 years ago I don't think this would even be a discussion and he probably would never have made the NBA. Back then 1's really ran the team and created the bulk of the offense. Now we have teams like the clippers that just move the ball.

FVV did a decent job with Lowry out injured earlier this year but I just can't see FVV playing the 1 in the playoffs. I can see him guarding 1's for sure.

I'm hoping he and TD can be combo guards together and get it done. TD is no point guard either but he can drive and dish. Between he and FVV I'm fairly confident they will (one day) be able to run the offense by committee.

I mean Toronto's greatest success came from a wing handling the ball. If LA loses maybe Kawhi will come back. Maybe Siakam will take a huge step forward next year and slot into a Kawhi type of role or Giannis leaves Milwaukee and asks to be dealt to Toronto.

In all cases you keep FVV and TD because they make shots from outside are strong low gravity defenders who hae the added skill to make plays off the dribble. The traditional PG is pretty done. In the modern NBA, you are getting your biggest and best athletes to handle the ball.

Would have to agree with this. You don't need a floor general if you can space out and move the ball.

It's the beautiful ball movement that is stopping me from hating this current NBA. I grew up watching Jordan's bulls and guys playing tough physical defense.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,539

Post#165 » by ropjhk » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:05 pm

I think FVV will still command a 20M+ salary. His biggest flaw is how he attacks the rim too often given his limitations but he can fix that.

Should Toronto resign him? That depends on what else Masai would have planned for the cap space. If FVV walks Masai better have a plan B.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#166 » by Crowned » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:08 pm

Yeah, I surely hope we don’t max him.

If this team maxes FVV, we’re going to severely regret it.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,762

Post#167 » by Basketball_Jones » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:12 pm

ropjhk wrote:I think FVV will still command a 20M+ salary. His biggest flaw is how he attacks the rim too often given his limitations but he can fix that.

Should Toronto resign him? That depends on what else Masai would have planned for the cap space. If FVV walks Masai better have a plan B.

I think if he can get to the free throw line more instead of actually trying to finish layups that weakness is workable. But your second point may be the most compelling reason to bring him back, what is our plan B? McCaw or Davis?
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Dan2087
2016 "Beat The Commish" Champion
And1: 5,120

Post#168 » by Dan2087 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:24 pm

I love Freddy, and Boston is a tough defensive team and was a tough matchup for him, but he isn't worth a max. Maybe 20mil per?

Sent from my SM-J337W using Tapatalk
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,142

Post#169 » by Chandan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:36 pm

Dan2087 wrote:I love Freddy, and Boston is a tough defensive team and was a tough matchup for him, but he isn't worth a max. Maybe 20mil per?

Sent from my SM-J337W using Tapatalk

boston's our division rival. Every playoffs they are going to exploit him for years to come. Not to mention 4 losses a year in the regular season. (boston's only going to get better and we are on a downward trend)
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#170 » by jimmy keys » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:16 pm

Sign and Trade, Please and Thank You.
Par36
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,023

Post#171 » by Par36 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:19 pm

Dan2087 wrote:I love Freddy, and Boston is a tough defensive team and was a tough matchup for him, but he isn't worth a max. Maybe 20mil per?

Unfortunately some team is going offer him 25+. I just hope it's not the Raptors'.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,799

Post#172 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:37 pm

i predict 4/82 starting at 18 or 19 million.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#173 » by Danny1616 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:38 pm

4 years 80m is pretty fair for Freddy.
HomieOmey
Head Coach
And1: 563

Post#174 » by HomieOmey » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:24 pm

It's tough. We virtually lost Kawhi & Danny Green for nothing last off-season. Thakfully we already had quite a deep team that grew a lot, but it still hurt or ability to get better via trade. Even if we have to pay FVV more than we would like to, it would be very tough to simply just lose another talent. Continuing to lose talent for nothing will eventually take it's toll. Unless a perfect sign and trade came up, I would pay pretty much whatever it cost.
TurboZ
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,216

Post#175 » by Dalek » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:22 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
Dalek wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:
If it was clear we wouldn't have so many people saying he isn't a 1. I've been watching the NBA for 30+ years and the definition of point guard has definitely changed. 20 years ago I don't think this would even be a discussion and he probably would never have made the NBA. Back then 1's really ran the team and created the bulk of the offense. Now we have teams like the clippers that just move the ball.

FVV did a decent job with Lowry out injured earlier this year but I just can't see FVV playing the 1 in the playoffs. I can see him guarding 1's for sure.

I'm hoping he and TD can be combo guards together and get it done. TD is no point guard either but he can drive and dish. Between he and FVV I'm fairly confident they will (one day) be able to run the offense by committee.

I mean Toronto's greatest success came from a wing handling the ball. If LA loses maybe Kawhi will come back. Maybe Siakam will take a huge step forward next year and slot into a Kawhi type of role or Giannis leaves Milwaukee and asks to be dealt to Toronto.

In all cases you keep FVV and TD because they make shots from outside are strong low gravity defenders who hae the added skill to make plays off the dribble. The traditional PG is pretty done. In the modern NBA, you are getting your biggest and best athletes to handle the ball.

Would have to agree with this. You don't need a floor general if you can space out and move the ball.

It's the beautiful ball movement that is stopping me from hating this current NBA. I grew up watching Jordan's bulls and guys playing tough physical defense.

Well I love ball movement and tough physical defense. Why can't the NBA have both without it going too far either way?

I honestly only hate the weird inconsistency in foul calls. You can hammer a guy at the rim if you cleanly block his shot at the rim, but if you slap his hands on a follow-through from the perimeter you could get a foul. Land in his space you get a flagrant. Van Gundy pointed it out during the Denver-LA game when Murray got clobbered at the rim and got leg dropped in his midsection by a Clipper there was no foul, no flagrant review - so weird. He was physically hurt and stayed down for a possession.

I don't think there should be elbows and head shots allowed or any intentional plans to injure someone, but the NBA should either stop calling the incidental contact stuff, or they should throw guys out who flop. The gamesmanship of a lot of guys ruin some amazing plays.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#176 » by MadDogSHWA » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:55 pm

Dalek wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Well I love ball movement and tough physical defense. Why can't the NBA have both without it going too far either way?

I honestly only hate the weird inconsistency in foul calls. You can hammer a guy at the rim if you cleanly block his shot at the rim, but if you slap his hands on a follow-through from the perimeter you could get a foul. Land in his space you get a flagrant. Van Gundy pointed it out during the Denver-LA game when Murray got clobbered at the rim and got leg dropped in his midsection by a Clipper there was no foul, no flagrant review - so weird. He was physically hurt and stayed down for a possession.

I don't think there should be elbows and head shots allowed or any intentional plans to injure someone, but the NBA should either stop calling the incidental contact stuff, or they should throw guys out who flop. The gamesmanship of a lot of guys ruin some amazing plays.

I love Van Gundy. That was a great rant. We've completely eliminated post offense by allowing the defender to push the offensive player while they are shooting. I hate it. I'm only 5-10 but I had a decent back to the basket game because I could hit people and then spin away and shoot or hook.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,255

Post#177 » by SurgeIblocka » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:07 pm

This entire board didn’t want to sign Lowry to anything more than 16 Mil per year the last few times he was up for a new contract. Imagine if we had done that :crazy:

Whatever the market dictates for Fred I think we will pay, he knows our system too well, and not many better PG’s out there that would be better or even attainable. Hoping to draft one is a crap shoot
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,606

Post#178 » by StopitLeo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:09 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
Dalek wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:

I agree as well. The PG on a contender really just needs to play tough defense and make open 3s.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#179 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:11 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
Dalek wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:

I love Van Gundy. That was a great rant. We've completely eliminated post offense by allowing the defender to push the offensive player while they are shooting. I hate it. I'm only 5-10 but I had a decent back to the basket game because I could hit people and then spin away and shoot or hook.

I think they went too far in protecting the perimeter players. Need to let a little more contact there go
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,785

Post#180 » by Zeno » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:13 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:i predict 4/82 starting at 18 or 19 million.

If you start Fred at 20.5 million and then drop it by the 8 percent, then give him the max 8% raises in years 3 and 4 it would be more ideal for our 2021 cap space.

20.5 18.9 20.5 22 = 4 years, 82 million

That's the perfect deal for us and Fred. Give him the 4th year player option if you must.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

Return to Toronto Raptors