ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread *UPDATES*

Moderators: Patman, pbj, Alfred, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Rhettmatic, niQ

User avatar
Syd-TK3
General Manager
Posts: 9,645
And1: 9,800
Joined: Jun 07, 2015
 

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#161 » by Syd-TK3 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:10 pm

Sometimes I really wish the draft happened after free agency.
Image
Oakvillehoops
Senior
Posts: 506
And1: 733
Joined: Apr 27, 2015
       

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#162 » by Oakvillehoops » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:19 pm

Would be a good year to take a flyer on a 1year deal with a Demarcus cousins type. We know he’s still an elite talent, likely humbled from injuries. I think we can rejuvenate his career
Rapsfan07
General Manager
Posts: 9,965
And1: 2,530
Joined: Nov 19, 2010
 

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#163 » by Rapsfan07 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:19 pm

Oakvillehoops wrote:Would be a good year to take a flyer on a 1year deal with a Demarcus cousins type. We know he’s still an elite talent, likely humbled from injuries. I think we can rejuvenate his career


If he's available and willing, sure. But realistically I just can't see it.

After retaining FVV (much less Ibaka), we will not have any capspace left. That means we can only offer the MLE or a veterans minimum. If that's the case, there are actual contenders out there that he could take that exact same offer from
Image
NotMyKawhi
Starter
Posts: 2,407
And1: 3,071
Joined: Jul 13, 2018

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#164 » by NotMyKawhi » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:53 pm

I'm all for signing Cousins to a 3 year 5 million per deal.

I'd take that risk
User avatar
WeTheNorth123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,884
And1: 6,643
Joined: May 13, 2014
 

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#165 » by WeTheNorth123 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:01 pm

NotMyKawhi wrote:I'm all for signing Cousins to a 3 year 5 million per deal.

I'd take that risk


at money maybe....maybe i would do it if he didn't have the potential to be a chemistry killer + headcase (which he does)...but you never know, he could turn his career around like ZBo did (Probably not though)
User avatar
HeadtopChunes
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,928
And1: 9,699
Joined: Apr 04, 2017

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#166 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:04 pm

I think boogie sticks with the Lakers but I’d love to have him here if we can (1 year tho).

Iirc he’s pretty close with Kyle too (who isn’t these days?)

But looks like Dwight has really made his mark on the Lakers I think they let Javale walk and sign cousins in the next offseason while re-upping Dwight
sycammer
Head Coach
Posts: 6,341
And1: 1,054
Joined: Jan 30, 2005

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#167 » by sycammer » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:52 pm

just want to point out that the LAL with their current roster has 3 No.1 Draft picks playing for them - Lebron, Dwight & Davis.

talent wins,i.e. top 5-10 players in the league; we need to go for the kill...enough with the late picks, they have to trade up in the lottery, draft a good SG, we have yet to replace that spot that Demar/Kawhi were playing - SF/SG position. we need a C/PF who can demand the ball/post up - points in the paint, opens up the floor space as well...neither of our bigs this season - Gasol or Ibaka, are doing us that.
Oakley:

"What's going on the league today? It ain't nothing hard, they don't practice any more, they just go around the court doing nothing."
NotMyKawhi
Starter
Posts: 2,407
And1: 3,071
Joined: Jul 13, 2018

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#168 » by NotMyKawhi » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:05 pm

one advantage lebron has is he always gets really good players to come play w him for nothing

Dwight and rondo are making the vet minimum
magee 4 million
Morris the vet min
even Bradley who isn't even playing making 4 milion
these are all great contracts
User avatar
HeadtopChunes
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,928
And1: 9,699
Joined: Apr 04, 2017

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#169 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:20 pm

NotMyKawhi wrote:one advantage lebron has is he always gets really good players to come play w him for nothing

Dwight and rondo are making the vet minimum
magee 4 million
Morris the vet min
even Bradley who isn't even playing making 4 milion
these are all great contracts


All those players underperformed before though, I think Lebron makes them look better than they are
User avatar
NUCKER101
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,649
And1: 10,352
Joined: Oct 31, 2013
   

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#170 » by NUCKER101 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:24 pm

Cousins is in full ring chaser mode since he knows he’s done as a star player and no team will throw big money at him. He’ll probably sign with one of the contending teams if they’ll take him.
We the Champs
User avatar
WaltFrazier
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,060
And1: 2,396
Joined: Jan 21, 2006
Location: Ontario
       

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#171 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:26 pm

metafisical wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
720 wrote:Why do you think we’re trading norm?


If we're retaining FVV and plan on signing OG and Davis next summer as well, then we're gonna have to move Norm if we wanna be player for a big name FA next summer.


I am feeling so hopeless. Trading away Powell. FVV and Ujiri potentially not re-signing. Gasol possibly gone. Maybe Lowry decides to move on. Siakim not playing as well as he can.

I feel so depressed.


I'm depressed that our main priority is merely to re-sign an undersized SG who we all like but has real limitations. And if we sign him, FVV, we have little room for the major talent upgrade we really need. It's going to be disappointing if we only bring in new guys on the level of RHJ and Stanley Johnson like last summer.

I don't expect a big bang like getting Kawhi every off-season. Every other year would be fine. :D
User avatar
NUCKER101
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,649
And1: 10,352
Joined: Oct 31, 2013
   

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#172 » by NUCKER101 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:44 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
metafisical wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
If we're retaining FVV and plan on signing OG and Davis next summer as well, then we're gonna have to move Norm if we wanna be player for a big name FA next summer.


I am feeling so hopeless. Trading away Powell. FVV and Ujiri potentially not re-signing. Gasol possibly gone. Maybe Lowry decides to move on. Siakim not playing as well as he can.

I feel so depressed.


I'm depressed that our main priority is merely to re-sign an undersized SG who we all like but has real limitations. And if we sign him, FVV, we have little room for the major talent upgrade we really need. It's going to be disappointing if we only bring in new guys on the level of RHJ and Stanley Johnson like last summer.

I don't expect a big bang like getting Kawhi every off-season. Every other year would be fine. :D


That’s why most of us want to keep the cap as flexible as possible in 2021. This year’s UFA class is weak, but the trade market will be interesting
We the Champs
User avatar
TRik
Pro Prospect
Posts: 981
And1: 938
Joined: Aug 19, 2020
 

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#173 » by TRik » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:10 am

I would love Olynyk on the Raps in some backup capacity.
isyed
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,956
And1: 241
Joined: Jun 07, 2003

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#174 » by isyed » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:19 am

Cousins is still young. Lots of teams of cspspace in 2021. We offer one year deal to play with our system and keep him healthy and bring his stock back up. At one point he was considered one of the most dominant big man that could score from the perimeter. He has great passing and rebounding as well. Bring Ibaka back on a 1 year deal and try to go back at it one more year and see how we do. Having a true star level talent either on the wing or in the post with nurse coaching and our young guys and vets would give us a dimension that no one else has.

Cousins/Ibaka
Siakam/boucher
Og/watson
Fvv/norm
Lowry/Davis

Maybe our medical staff gives cousins career another life and he comes back motivated to show the league that he is still good. In our system with our vets and defence he might just be the alpha we need to take us over the hump. Lowry and Ibaka will keep him in check. His only issue is his perimeter defense and I think with nurse we might be able to hide that as well.
NUCKER101 wrote:Cousins is in full ring chaser mode since he knows he’s done as a star player and no team will throw big money at him. He’ll probably sign with one of the contending teams if they’ll take him.


Sent from my SM-G975U1 using RealGM mobile app
Rapsfan07
General Manager
Posts: 9,965
And1: 2,530
Joined: Nov 19, 2010
 

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#175 » by Rapsfan07 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:38 am

isyed wrote:Cousins is still young. Lots of teams of cspspace in 2021. We offer one year deal to play with our system and keep him healthy and bring his stock back up. At one point he was considered one of the most dominant big man that could score from the perimeter. He has great passing and rebounding as well. Bring Ibaka back on a 1 year deal and try to go back at it one more year and see how we do. Having a true star level talent either on the wing or in the post with nurse coaching and our young guys and vets would give us a dimension that no one else has.

Cousins/Ibaka
Siakam/boucher
Og/watson
Fvv/norm
Lowry/Davis

Maybe our medical staff gives cousins career another life and he comes back motivated to show the league that he is still good. In our system with our vets and defence he might just be the alpha we need to take us over the hump. Lowry and Ibaka will keep him in check. His only issue is his perimeter defense and I think with nurse we might be able to hide that as well.
NUCKER101 wrote:Cousins is in full ring chaser mode since he knows he’s done as a star player and no team will throw big money at him. He’ll probably sign with one of the contending teams if they’ll take him.


Sent from my SM-G975U1 using RealGM mobile app


Again - its a good idea in theory but it just won't happen in real life.

We don't have the capspace to offer big money after we resign Vanvleet and if he's going to take small money, there are other contenders that he'd be better off taking that money from.
Image
User avatar
ruckus
RealGM
Posts: 10,908
And1: 7,665
Joined: May 18, 2007
Location: From the Slums of Shaolin...
 

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#176 » by ruckus » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:02 pm

Cousins is done. Hes torn his achilles and his acl plus hes a head case. No team will take a flyer on him.
Image
2019nbachamps
Rookie
Posts: 1,078
And1: 929
Joined: Jul 10, 2019
 

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#177 » by 2019nbachamps » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:39 am

One thing I'm not sure has been discussed here much is how COVID will impact our free agency efforts.

With the season starting in December, it's very unlikely the Raptors will play out of Toronto in the first half of the season. Would the Raptors playing out of the US be more appealing to free agents this season? In addition to potentially avoiding the cold weather, there are a tax benefits to playing in the US rather than Toronto. I wonder if the Raptors brass can use this as a means to entice players not really kean on moving to Toronto.
User avatar
bape_lovers
RealGM
Posts: 18,072
And1: 14,253
Joined: Oct 28, 2010
Location: 6ix side
 

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#178 » by bape_lovers » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:58 pm

most of US countries in the East is cold too, unless you are saying we gonna play in Florida?

2019nbachamps wrote:One thing I'm not sure has been discussed here much is how COVID will impact our free agency efforts.

With the season starting in December, it's very unlikely the Raptors will play out of Toronto in the first half of the season. Would the Raptors playing out of the US be more appealing to free agents this season? In addition to potentially avoiding the cold weather, there are a tax benefits to playing in the US rather than Toronto. I wonder if the Raptors brass can use this as a means to entice players not really kean on moving to Toronto.
Image

Credit to JaysRule, Detective
mtcan
RealGM
Posts: 14,727
And1: 10,322
Joined: May 19, 2001

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#179 » by mtcan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:03 pm

ruckus wrote:Cousins is done. Hes torn his achilles and his acl plus hes a head case. No team will take a flyer on him.

I would take the gamble that he is still a skilled big man and perhaps not having played in 2 seasons will have changed his perspective and attitude.

Masai, Nick and the organization could be a positive influence on him.

On a low level contract, I'm willing to gamble.
2019nbachamps
Rookie
Posts: 1,078
And1: 929
Joined: Jul 10, 2019
 

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#180 » by 2019nbachamps » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:55 pm

bape_lovers wrote:most of US countries in the East is cold too, unless you are saying we gonna play in Florida?

2019nbachamps wrote:One thing I'm not sure has been discussed here much is how COVID will impact our free agency efforts.

With the season starting in December, it's very unlikely the Raptors will play out of Toronto in the first half of the season. Would the Raptors playing out of the US be more appealing to free agents this season? In addition to potentially avoiding the cold weather, there are a tax benefits to playing in the US rather than Toronto. I wonder if the Raptors brass can use this as a means to entice players not really kean on moving to Toronto.


We might be forced to play in the U.S. for a decent chunk of the season so why not set our base in a warm weather destination such as Florida?

The NBA has mused about having long home and away stretches for teams similar to what they do in MLB. The problem is Canada has the 14-day quarantine rule in place which they were unwilling to waive for the Jays and hence will also likely be unwilling to waive for the Raptors and the NBA.

We could then play out of Florida and say to free agents they dont have to worry about the weather or Canadian taxes.

The Raptors are the team most impacted by the NBA's plan to start the new season so hopefully the NBA can provide certainty on that front before free agency.

Return to Toronto Raptors