ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread

Moderators: Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, niQ, Rhettmatic, Patman, pbj, Alfred

User avatar
Steelo Green
RealGM
Posts: 12,342
And1: 21,233
Joined: Feb 06, 2013

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#61 » by Steelo Green » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:31 am

Ibaka either signs a one year deal or he's gone.
User avatar
Son Goku 25
RealGM
Posts: 19,583
And1: 33,345
Joined: Jan 18, 2010
 

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#62 » by Son Goku 25 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:32 am

I dont think Fvv is a starting SG. I also don't think he's better than Lowry even at age 35 to be our starting PG. I'm tired of seeing our guys having to work extra hard to defend and get a rebound. I respect Fvv and his heart and passion, I just don't know if the love is mutual. Fvv wants his money and we don't want to overspend on him. Id like to get athletic 2 and 5 with a good back up to OG. SIAkam needs to be 2nd or third option on offense.

When push comes to shove, Lowry is still our best player on both ends which is saying a lot.
Read
Raptorfan2012
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,557
And1: 2,705
Joined: Mar 25, 2012

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#63 » by Raptorfan2012 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:40 am

Son Goku 25 wrote:I dont think Fvv is a starting SG. I also don't think he's better than Lowry even at age 35 to be our starting PG. I'm tired of seeing our guys having to work extra hard to defend and get a rebound. I respect Fvv and his heart and passion, I just don't know if the love is mutual. Fvv wants his money and we don't want to overspend on him. Id like to get athletic 2 and 5 with a good back up to OG. SIAkam needs to be 2nd or third option on offense.

When push comes to shove, Lowry is still our best player on both ends which is saying a lot.


There is small ball, and then there is running two 6’1 guys at the same time small. I dont care what the analytics say here; I dont want to see Lowry and Fred play together in the starting lineup again.
User avatar
YogurtProducer
RealGM
Posts: 12,336
And1: 14,301
Joined: Jul 22, 2013
Location: Saskatchewan
       

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#64 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:46 am

Ibaka sign and trade for Robeet Covington plz
isyed
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,952
And1: 240
Joined: Jun 07, 2003

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#65 » by isyed » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:47 am

I like the lowry trade for wiggins and number 2 pick if possible.

I'd also throw the max at Ingram if possible with covid impacting small market teams I would easily do a norm plus Ibaka in sign and trade for Ingram. Pelicans need vets to shore up their depth.

Extend fvv on a 5 year 80 mil with player option after 3 years.

Go for ball or Edward's with the second pick and build our team.
Extend og on 4 year 60 mill deal starting 2021.

Use the mid level for gasol.

Fvv/ball
Wiggins/davis/thomas
Ingram/watson
Og/boucher/29th pick
Siakam/gasol/hernandez

Start small and then use your bigs off the bench. Ball and ingram become your scorers and creators for offence. Og and Siakam still give you the length and defense. Gasol is still your anchor and vet to help develop the bugs.

We definitely have scoring and much more depth. Good shooting and defense. Half court offence will improve.

Fvv and Siakam can work to initiate the offense. Ingram provides us the one on one scoring ability. Ball can be our spark off the bench with everyone else giving us shooting and defense.

We can also start boucher or hernandez and put wiggins on the bench for scoring and depth.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using RealGM mobile app
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
Posts: 11,306
And1: 7,825
Joined: Apr 09, 2008

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#66 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:01 am

Kurtz wrote:Indiana board is open to the idea of Oladipo for FVV. Fred fits better with Brogdon than he does with Kyle, and Victor fits better here imo as a shot creator and possible 1a/b option (if he recovers...if he doesn't recover he's off the books). I'd love that option.

The other move imo is moving Norm for a 1st or a good prospect and opening up playing time for Davis and Thomas.

Finally we have an interesting choice at C. We can punt on the decision and sign Gasol and Serge for 1 year and then slowly work in Hernandez and Boucher...or we pick up someone on the free agent market like Aron Baynes. Or maybe we end up drafting a C with our 1st. Lots of possibilities there.

fvv is overpay for oladipo. I'd rather keep fvv because we have no lowry replacement and he'll be a good contract piece in a trade if needed.
pacers can have norm for oladipo. i saw a s&t proposal of ibaka for oladipo, which is also fine.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
Rapsalot
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,625
And1: 1,407
Joined: Mar 11, 2007
Location: Traveling
     

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#67 » by Rapsalot » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:07 am

Sign Management:
Sign Coaches:
Draft a big C
Sign FVV and SI if under $20 mil per. FVV 4 years max and SI 3 years Max.

Explore Brad Beal trade scenarios with Washington. Focus more on future pics than players but understand salary match plus Cap.
Raptors_128
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,734
And1: 1,642
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
       

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#68 » by Raptors_128 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:40 am

AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
Kurtz wrote:Indiana board is open to the idea of Oladipo for FVV. Fred fits better with Brogdon than he does with Kyle, and Victor fits better here imo as a shot creator and possible 1a/b option (if he recovers...if he doesn't recover he's off the books). I'd love that option.

The other move imo is moving Norm for a 1st or a good prospect and opening up playing time for Davis and Thomas.

Finally we have an interesting choice at C. We can punt on the decision and sign Gasol and Serge for 1 year and then slowly work in Hernandez and Boucher...or we pick up someone on the free agent market like Aron Baynes. Or maybe we end up drafting a C with our 1st. Lots of possibilities there.

fvv is overpay for oladipo. I'd rather keep fvv because we have no lowry replacement and he'll be a good contract piece in a trade if needed.
pacers can have norm for oladipo. i saw a s&t proposal of ibaka for oladipo, which is also fine.


FVV is not an overpay since he’s a UFA. This deal only happens if FVV wants to go to Indiana and we help him get there. We don’t have a choice in where he goes.

FVV on a ~$23-25 mill per year contract is not a good trade piece. He becomes a negative asset like Tobias Harris. We would have to attach assets to move him or have to take on a worse contract to get something back. I don’t want to go that route. Let him walk.

I think we’re kidding ourselves if we expect him to sign a $18-20 mill per year contract. He’ll get every penny he’s worth. That’s just who he is and no one can fault him for that.
Rapsfan07
General Manager
Posts: 9,936
And1: 2,520
Joined: Nov 19, 2010
 

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#69 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:41 am

Resign Masai
Resign Nurse

1. Trade Targets
List of trade targets in order of importance:

A) Myles Turner
Indiana committed to Sabonis long term and a likely looking to move Turner. He's young, blocks shots, great defensively, shoots the 3 and is locked up at a decent salary. With Gasol expiring and being done and Ibaka likely to take a deal elsewhere, Turner would fill our start C slot for the foreseeable future. I'd explore what it would take to acquire him first

B) Jrue Holiday
Not sure if he's available or not but Holiday is one of my fav players in the league. Besides that though, he does it all. Plays D, shoots, drives, makes plays, rebounds. A very solid ISO scorer. The cherry on top is he only has one more guaranteed year on his deal with a player option for the 21/22 season. I have to imagine he'll opt out and try the market at one last big contract so we won't be out of the running for Giannis. If we retain him, we could do a lot worse than Jrue for a running mate with Giannis

C) Victor Oladipo
His value is as low as its probably ever been. He rejected a $80M/4yrs deal from the Pacers and I don't think Indiana wants to offer more than that given the severity of his injury. They might not be shopping him but seeing as he is expiring, Indiana might see the benefit in getting something for him instead of letting him walk for free in the summer. Not sure what he would take but when he's on his game, he's one of the best SGs in the league. Another great scorer that plays both sides of the ball and can make plays for others. Again, with his contract expiring, he would not take us out of the running for Giannis and we could always resign him if we're comfortable with his rehab progress and production during the upcoming season.

OTHER: That TOR-GSW-PHI deal is something I would absolutely do if Lowry wants to finish this contract at home. I know people have their qualms with Wiggins (and rightfully so) but that 2nd overall pick is a great failsafe to have in case Giannis to Toronto doesn't happen. If Giannis still does want to come here, we can arrange a sign and trade that will send either Wiggins or Siakam back the other way.

2. Free Agency
The goal here should be trying to fill the bench with as much cheap long term depth piece as possible. There isn't going to be much capspace in the coming years so we should try to use what we have as wisely as possible.

Some targets would be:
PG - Frank Jackson, Kris Dunn, Shabazz Napier
SG/SF - Josh Jackson, Glenn Robinson III, Justin Holiday, Mo Harkless
PF- Noah Vonleh, Bobby Portis
C - Harry Giles III, Nerlens Noel, Willy Hernangomez

Except for maybe Harkless, Portis and Holiday, the rest of these guys should be had pretty damn cheap. Like $1-2M per type cheap. Lots of options here with guys who can come in a give us valuable minutes for decent stretches. I can't see Harkless and Portis making the same money they're making now but given their size and skills, think they'll have a few suitors. Holiday should as well given his shooting
Image
baller16
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,678
And1: 8,843
Joined: Feb 23, 2016
 

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#70 » by baller16 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:15 am

Wow this year's FA class looks pretty bad. Only ones that look decent to me are

Bertans
Korkmaz
Wood
Baynes
Forbes
Crowder
Favors

That Dipo & Turner trade can potentially make the team better than this years. Turner is only 23 and he was responsible for anchoring Indy's defense (6th this season, 3rd last season). You put him under Nurse, and we're back in this with Gasol gone. I think we may have to load manage Dipo though, if that's what it takes to get him back in form and reduce his injury risk. Gotta trust McKechnie on that one
User avatar
Westside Gunn
Analyst
Posts: 3,461
And1: 4,363
Joined: Jul 03, 2016
       

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#71 » by Westside Gunn » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:18 am

Are these 20M figures even applicable in the Rona NBA?

Teams have lost a **** of money, and I don't think these TV games will cut it.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
User avatar
lebron stopper
General Manager
Posts: 7,702
And1: 22,855
Joined: Dec 27, 2017

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#72 » by lebron stopper » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:23 am

I really like the idea of trading for Jrue Holiday - he is just so good on both ends, even if he doesn't get mentioned often. As for trading for Victor Oladipo, I doubt he will ever be the awesome player that we saw in 2017-18 after his quad injury, but I think it's worth the risk regardless.

Ideally, if you can sign-and-trade Fred VanVleet for one of those two, you do it (a la DeRozan for Leonard trade). That's an immediate upgrade in both shot creation and defense at the SG spot. Now, I doubt the Pelicans or Pacers want to invest $80-100 million into FVV, but if they do, the Raptors should pounce.
Image
TheAlchemist
General Manager
Posts: 7,614
And1: 7,344
Joined: Apr 06, 2010
   

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#73 » by TheAlchemist » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:53 am

baller16 wrote:Wow this year's FA class looks pretty bad. Only ones that look decent to me are

Bertans
Korkmaz
Wood
Baynes
Forbes
Crowder
Favors

That Dipo & Turner trade can potentially make the team better than this years. Turner is only 23 and he was responsible for anchoring Indy's defense (6th this season, 3rd last season). You put him under Nurse, and we're back in this with Gasol gone. I think we may have to load manage Dipo though, if that's what it takes to get him back in form and reduce his injury risk. Gotta trust McKechnie on that one


Oladipo and Turner would be f***** amazing.

Lowry
Oladipo
OG
Siakam
Turner

Ohhh man. I'd definitely do a trade for both of em, with Norm , sign and trade FVV, picks etc.

Imo if Giannis wants to come, we'll make the room no problem. But this team is nasty.
Metallikid
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,784
And1: 5,415
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#74 » by Metallikid » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:00 am

lebron stopper wrote:I really like the idea of trading for Jrue Holiday - he is just so good on both ends, even if he doesn't get mentioned often. As for trading for Victor Oladipo, I doubt he will ever be the awesome player that we saw in 2017-18 after his quad injury, but I think it's worth the risk regardless.

Ideally, if you can sign-and-trade Fred VanVleet for one of those two, you do it (a la DeRozan for Leonard trade). That's an immediate upgrade in both shot creation and defense at the SG spot. Now, I doubt the Pelicans or Pacers want to invest $80-100 million into FVV, but if they do, the Raptors should pounce.


DeMar for Kawhi wasn't a sign and trade.
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
User avatar
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
Posts: 16,132
And1: 6,921
Joined: Dec 19, 2008

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#75 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:49 am

Raptors_128 wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
Kurtz wrote:Indiana board is open to the idea of Oladipo for FVV. Fred fits better with Brogdon than he does with Kyle, and Victor fits better here imo as a shot creator and possible 1a/b option (if he recovers...if he doesn't recover he's off the books). I'd love that option.

The other move imo is moving Norm for a 1st or a good prospect and opening up playing time for Davis and Thomas.

Finally we have an interesting choice at C. We can punt on the decision and sign Gasol and Serge for 1 year and then slowly work in Hernandez and Boucher...or we pick up someone on the free agent market like Aron Baynes. Or maybe we end up drafting a C with our 1st. Lots of possibilities there.

fvv is overpay for oladipo. I'd rather keep fvv because we have no lowry replacement and he'll be a good contract piece in a trade if needed.
pacers can have norm for oladipo. i saw a s&t proposal of ibaka for oladipo, which is also fine.


FVV is not an overpay since he’s a UFA. This deal only happens if FVV wants to go to Indiana and we help him get there. We don’t have a choice in where he goes.

FVV on a ~$23-25 mill per year contract is not a good trade piece. He becomes a negative asset like Tobias Harris. We would have to attach assets to move him or have to take on a worse contract to get something back. I don’t want to go that route. Let him walk.

I think we’re kidding ourselves if we expect him to sign a $18-20 mill per year contract. He’ll get every penny he’s worth. That’s just who he is and no one can fault him for that.


S+T's are hard to make work for the team "losing" the free agent. It may though be easier given the financial state of NBA teams. More realistic outcome is Delon Wright and a second round pick plus TPE or difference in salary. That way Masai assists Fred to get more money. We need scoring and we need wing depth but we need to fill the hole at point guard if FVV goes. I think we are better retaining Serge than Fred to be quite honest for being competitive. Or at least so as long as we like having the GOAT Lowry around. A norm and pick deal to upgrade the two would be my main deal but you have to be looking for someone clearly better than Norm for this team. They may not exist.
Raptors_128
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,734
And1: 1,642
Joined: Sep 27, 2018
       

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#76 » by Raptors_128 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:43 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Raptors_128 wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:fvv is overpay for oladipo. I'd rather keep fvv because we have no lowry replacement and he'll be a good contract piece in a trade if needed.
pacers can have norm for oladipo. i saw a s&t proposal of ibaka for oladipo, which is also fine.


FVV is not an overpay since he’s a UFA. This deal only happens if FVV wants to go to Indiana and we help him get there. We don’t have a choice in where he goes.

FVV on a ~$23-25 mill per year contract is not a good trade piece. He becomes a negative asset like Tobias Harris. We would have to attach assets to move him or have to take on a worse contract to get something back. I don’t want to go that route. Let him walk.

I think we’re kidding ourselves if we expect him to sign a $18-20 mill per year contract. He’ll get every penny he’s worth. That’s just who he is and no one can fault him for that.


S+T's are hard to make work for the team "losing" the free agent. It may though be easier given the financial state of NBA teams. More realistic outcome is Delon Wright and a second round pick plus TPE or difference in salary. That way Masai assists Fred to get more money. We need scoring and we need wing depth but we need to fill the hole at point guard if FVV goes. I think we are better retaining Serge than Fred to be quite honest for being competitive. Or at least so as long as we like having the GOAT Lowry around. A norm and pick deal to upgrade the two would be my main deal but you have to be looking for someone clearly better than Norm for this team. They may not exist.


Yeah I don’t know if Delon and a 2nd is the move because Dallas is going to try to salary dump Delon imo. He makes like $9 mill for the next 2-3 seasons and didn’t even play for them in the playoffs, he was a healthy scratch.

I want at least a first and expiring salary. If we can’t get a deal like that, Fred can go to a rebuilding team with cap space like the Pistons or the Knicks. We should only help him get to where he wants to go if we get something back that’s actually valuable.
User avatar
HeadtopChunes
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,829
And1: 9,582
Joined: Apr 04, 2017

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#77 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:24 pm

Did OG follow his agent to Klutch Sports?

Wonder if we try to extend him because i could see his RFA getting really pricey
User avatar
HeadtopChunes
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,829
And1: 9,582
Joined: Apr 04, 2017

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#78 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:29 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:I'd say 15th pick is the ceiling and probably more likely a early 20s but none of those teams make sense, definitely think including the 45 is too much though.
I'm not sure what the magics plan is but I think they might be more into just keeping the pick considering it might be a step back year for them with Isaac out.
Mavs do make sense they play a good style that Powell would fit into and he would add more defense than their guards now will still being a positive shot maker.

I'm all in on Giles it was mainly just the mgk choice


Eh I think this draft is bad enough for norm to have extra value. Especially after a great 6 man season. Sac and NOLA might be losing their starting 2 and having Norm for his prime could be pretty nice.


I just see MKG as an upgraded Rondae, who might be actually able to play in the playoffs. Not too many options at minimum level money

Well hopefully that's the case I mean it is possible, Ibaka was traded for a 1st and Ross, Vasquez was traded for a 2nd and a future 1st.
But at the time the exact pick number wasn't known so it makes a bit of a difference so maybe this draft being seen as "weaker" makes up for that.

If we manage to still have a 2nd I'd honestly rather just draft a pf then sign another black hole on offense like mgk but that's just me


you'd be surprised i think Nuggets traded 13th (Donovan Mitchell) for Trey Lyles and a first in a much stronger draft than this.

I think Norm has good value as an athletic 2 guard who averaged nearly 20ppg off the bench and was just behind Toronto's strong guard depth (that's how i'd sell it anyway)


I think MKG is a little underrated offensviley, he's a bad 3pt shooter but still better than Rondae, and while he doesn't have Rondae's passing chops he's a much better slasher/finisher and has a ok midrange in a pinch.

RHJ wasn't useable in the playoffs because he couldn't shoot or finish but i think MKG is especially for a smart team like ours. See it as value as a guy who could be optimized into provided top 100 player impact for close to them min
User avatar
HeadtopChunes
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,829
And1: 9,582
Joined: Apr 04, 2017

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#79 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:36 pm

Harry Giles is a favorite target for a lot of Raptors fans.

The appeal is that he might be a top 3 passing big in the league already. Giles can make live dribble passes that only Jokic and Draymond and maybe Bam can do right now.



He's improved every year as a mid-range shooter and might be able to extend out to 3 in a season or 2. He's got some post moves and decent hops/length. High motor and pretty smart cutter and only 22. Giles was the #1 player in his class before all the knee injuries and you can see the talent there still.

Drawbacks.

Currently bad defender (but i think smart enough to be good one day), undersized (needs to bulk up a little IMO) and not very quick or bouncy on account of the ACL tears.

I think if you bring him in on a 2-3 year deal, we can turn him into a good starting C (especially if you can get Marc to mentor him for one season). Its similar to the Kawhi gamble just a little more extreme where you take a great talent and hope your staff can rehab him.

I think the potential of Giles with our current core would be a pretty great fit and def worth the target.

Probably like 3yr/16M last year not fully guaranteed type contract.
Rapsfan07
General Manager
Posts: 9,936
And1: 2,520
Joined: Nov 19, 2010
 

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#80 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:38 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:Harry Giles is a favorite target for a lot of Raptors fans.

The appeal is that he might be a top 3 passing big in the league already. Giles can make live dribble passes that only Jokic and Draymond and maybe Bam can do right now.



He's improved every year as a mid-range shooter and might be able to extend out to 3 in a season or 2. He's got some post moves and decent hops/length. High motor and pretty smart cutter and only 22. Giles was the #1 player in his class before all the knee injuries and you can see the talent there still.

Drawbacks.

Currently bad defender (but i think smart enough to be good one day), undersized (needs to bulk up a little IMO) and not very quick or bouncy on account of the ACL tears.

I think if you bring him in on a 2-3 year deal, we can turn him into a good starting C (especially if you can get Marc to mentor him for one season). Its similar to the Kawhi gamble just a little more extreme where you take a great talent and hope your staff can rehab him.

I think the potential of Giles with our current core would be a pretty great fit and def worth the target.

Probably like 3yr/16M last year not fully guaranteed type contract.


Yup. I think we could probably get him even cheaper than that.
Image

Return to Toronto Raptors