ImageImageImageImageImage

What did you think of Nick Nurses Coaching this series?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

What did you think of Nick Nurses Coaching this series? 

Post#1 » by Scott Hall » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:38 am

Would like to hear everyones thoughts on this
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Re: What did you think of Nick Nurses Coaching this series? 

Post#2 » by djsunyc » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:40 am

with the way siakam played on offense, as well as gasol, the team has zero business being in a game 7 with a minute to go. our offense was mediocre all season and we lost to the better team. again, to make it to the final min of game 7 means he did a great job. maybe one or two things he could've done differently but overall, it was great.
gigi
Pro Prospect
And1: 43

Post#3 » by gigi » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:40 am

Was too loyal to Siakam and Gasol! That is clear!
Oakvillehoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,033

Post#4 » by Oakvillehoops » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:41 am

Only playing Ibaka 20 minutes is criminal. Also not calling a timeout when Fred was a chicken with a head cut off. Not sure what else to say
Charlie Sollers
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,829

Post#5 » by Charlie Sollers » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:41 am

Good for the most part but some glaring blunders:

-too much loyalty to Gasol
-the stretch with Gasol and Ibaka tonight was mind boggling
-Siakam debacle. Not sure how many times he had to show that he was never going to show up this series. Either bench him (which wasn't going to happen) or figure out a way to limit his negative impact on the team
-how much Fred iso did we really need?
NiL8r87
Pro Prospect
And1: 832

Post#6 » by NiL8r87 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:42 am

I get he's playing a long game with Siakam but he was clearly struggling for awhile and was still being given ball-handling and iso duties on offence. Other than that I think he made some great adjustments, some great play calls and made a clearly less talented team push Boston to the limit, so I'm fine with the job he did.
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#7 » by MavCarter » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:44 am

We pushed a team much more talented than us to 7 games so on a macro level he did well. On a micro level he wasnt perfect but neither is any coach
#Enjoytheride
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,324

Post#8 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:44 am

His trust in Siakam cost them the series. I get why he kept going to that well (because our half court offense is just trash if he’s not going) but at some point it’s gotta stop. You cannot allow him to turn the ball over 5 times tonight in a do or die game when he’s shown no ability whatsoever to be a positive on offense.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
TrustFundBaby
Head Coach
And1: 19,766

Post#9 » by TrustFundBaby » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:45 am

Fantastic job. Going small won us G6, and he did well with the lack of talent he had

BOS beat the **** out of us badly in most of our regular season games, and G1 as well, yet this went down to wire with his adjustments and creativity, such as Small ball and going to the box and 1 to stop Kemba, or his usage of the zone etc

Yeah he rode Gasol a bit too much in G7, but other than that, no issues. He put this team in a position to steal a series from a much more talented team
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#10 » by Scott Hall » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:46 am

I don't understand how a guy like Brad Wannamaker gets minutes this series but Terence Davis doesn't?
Mattatron
Starter
And1: 1,666

Post#11 » by Mattatron » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:46 am

He was great, like Stevens said - right after a offensive system worked, the next play didn't work because nurse adjustments and the defense is huge. I know Ibaka was great on offense but he sucks in the pnr on d. It was the right move to go small.
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,264

Post#12 » by mrdressup » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:47 am

Like a deer in the headlights at times. Personnel management was suspect. Looked a lot like Casey-ball to me. We showed nothing offensively all series. It took lone individual performances to get us wins.
TRik
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,445

Post#13 » by TRik » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:48 am

Listen, the way I look at it. Nurse was respecting the guys that got us the championship last year and wanted to let them have one more go. I get that. They earned the shot to see if they could run it back. It was just super frustrating seeing other playing sitting on the bench doing nothing, LIKE SUPER FRUSTRATING, but I get what he was doing.

Of course I wanted us to win and go with a different starting five and rotations, but I get he was respecting the champs.
‘Silly rabbit’
Oakvillehoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,033

Post#14 » by Oakvillehoops » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:50 am

Not sure where this apparent talent was on the Celtics. I believe the only talent Boston has was Pascal Siakam
Raptors_128
Analyst
And1: 3,275

Post#15 » by Raptors_128 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:51 am

If Siakam played even half as good as he played in the beginning of the season, we’d been in the ECF right now.

We were the better team in maybe what 2 games this series? They had way too much fire power. All I’m going to say is that if Nurse was coaching the Celtics roster, this wouldn’t have gone 7 games.

Nurse is a great coach. Give my boy his money.
Airball Salmons
Rookie
And1: 765

Post#16 » by Airball Salmons » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:51 am

Poor decisions throughout the series:

- heavy reliance on Gasol
- no trust in the bench
- playing the starters until the wheel falls off
- poor or inadequate use of time outs
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#17 » by SharoneWright » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:54 am

Nick go the most out of his regulars, considering how Pascal and Marc struggled.

Could have gone deeper into the bench with Thomas, Davis, and Boucher. But it seems to me he wanted to ride his regular/veteran group 1 more time. I expect MT, TD, and CB all to take a step forward next year, with Nick putting them in position to succeed and assume more responsibility.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#18 » by RaptorsNorth » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:54 am

Some poor decisions made by Nurse in this series and the biggest ones were playing gasol so many minutes in so many games. Gasol should not have started a game in this series and his minutes should have been very limited. You can not justify playing a guy the other team refuses to even guard. Also not knowing when to say ok pascal you’re hunting us, you’re shooting us out of a game or costing us this game with too many turnovers so hit the bench.

Another thing is if im Thomas im going to masai and demanding A trade. The guy is never going to get a shot under Nurse. He’s used even less than casey used JJ. Even when he provides good minutes he ends up setting next to RHJ and SJ for the rest of the game.

Don’t forget when Nurse was only using a 6 man rotation smh Stevens out coached him.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
knickerbocker2k2
General Manager
And1: 4,455

Post#19 » by knickerbocker2k2 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:54 am

Most stubborn coach we've ever had. For all his positive traits he has glaring holes. We saw it last year with FVV but this year he has outdone himself with how he rode Gasol and Pascal to death. When player is struggling he literally doubles down. The worse you play the more he plays you. Mind boggling.

Lots of jokes on how Casey had his minutes set before the game and nothing he sees in the game changes that. This 100% true with Nurse. Guy has the players he trusts and nothing other players do will change that. We saw this in the regular season and he has doubled down the playoffs. Game 7 was perfect illustration of this. We played fluid and high energy with Ibaka/Norm/Thomas after slow start, but after just 4 minutes he takes out Thomas and goes back to Pascal. Was Pascal playing so well to deserve 41 minutes? We couldn't run a bit more with Ibaka/Thomas? Our roster is so versatile that we should not be living and dying with any one or two players when we can try something else if it ain't working

Sent from my Mi 9T using RealGM mobile app
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,255

Post#20 » by SurgeIblocka » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:55 am

Brutal he had a split personality , things would go good and he would not stay with the lineup

Return to Toronto Raptors