ImageImageImageImageImage

What did you think of Nick Nurses Coaching this series?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Re: What did you think of Nick Nurses Coaching this series? 

Post#41 » by anotherhomer » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:14 am

Nick Nurse did well....he took a team far less talented, and outmatched, to 7 games against a better team, and he made a lot of good adjustments

that said, a few things
- sometimes his timeouts and out of timeout plays can suck
- he needs to get more out of his bench, aka squeeze a few mins out of matt thomas in the 2nd half, Terrence davis or RHJ
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#42 » by RaptorsNorth » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:15 am

Nurse has been making some questionable decisions even before the playoffs. Never forget the head scratching McCaw starting minutes while he did nothing out there. Nurse has a couple of guys he gets attach to and will play them nonstop even if they’re trash and that’s the gasol situation. Even if he played pascal it’s somewhat understandable because he’s your star player but the Celtics weren’t even guarding gasol at times. How is that helpful to your offense if they’re not guarding him and he’s not looking to score ? The guy is a old vet there was no reason to ride him come hell or high water as if he was a factor out there. The guy should have been used how Stevens used guys like Williams, Kanter, Semi ect.. he had no business being in the starting line up. I truly believe those gasol minutes cost us this series. If he started serge we would have won this series in 6 games. It seems like we were always playing from behind with gasol on the floor and if he wasn’t on the floor when we were up by 10 he would bring him in and the lead would disappear!

The gasol minutes is one of the most mind boggling decisions I’ve seen from a raptor coach and we’ve seen some questionable decisions from Casey, Kevin O Neal and Mitchell.

Sorry but there’s no excuse for staying with gasol come hell or high water in the starting 5. It was a casey level decision.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
tradejosehesux
Starter
And1: 3,858

Post#43 » by tradejosehesux » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:15 am

Maybe some minor adjustments here and there. Siakam literally lost this series by himself
jeffya2
Veteran
And1: 2,982

Post#44 » by jeffya2 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:17 am

Scott Hall wrote:Would like to hear everyones thoughts on this

Well once our real coach {Kyle} fouled out, I knew we were done
biblast
RealGM
And1: 4,799

Post#45 » by biblast » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:17 am

Nurse did the best he could with a less talented team!
We don’t have a legit #1 guy who can create his own shot like Tatum and our #1 option Pascal was a no show!
So I don’t know what do you guys expect Nick to do here!
jeffya2
Veteran
And1: 2,982

Post#46 » by jeffya2 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:18 am

Scott Hall wrote:Would like to hear everyones thoughts on this

Well once our real coach {Kyle} fouled out, I knew we were done
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,215

Post#47 » by Tor_Raps » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:18 am

GordanFreeman wrote:I give him a solid B+. The more talented team won. If I had to rank the players based on their play in this series it'd go like this:
Tatum
Lowry
Smart
Brown
FVV
IbakaWalker

Siakam

This is in hindsight though. Coming into the series, everyone thought we had the top 7 out of 11 players. Not to much we had the much deeper team (high scoring bench all year).

No one told Nurse to limit his bench the way he did. Its party nurse's fault for not being able to get the best out of his players while Stevens did.
SpaceCenter
Sixth Man
And1: 1,285

Post#48 » by SpaceCenter » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:19 am

I am more convinced than ever that the championship was about Kawhi and not Nurse. Casey is winning with Kawhi.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#49 » by Scott Hall » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:20 am

RaptorsNorth wrote:Nurse has been making some questionable decisions even before the playoffs. Never forget the head scratching McCaw starting minutes while he did nothing out there. Nurse has a couple of guys he gets attach to and will play them nonstop even if they’re trash and that’s the gasol situation. Even if he played pascal it’s somewhat understandable because he’s your star player but the Celtics weren’t even guarding gasol at times. How is that helpful to your offense if they’re not guarding him and he’s not looking to score ? The guy is a old vet there was no reason to ride him come hell or high water as if he was a factor out there. The guy should have been used how Stevens used guys like Williams, Kanter, Semi ect.. he had no business being in the starting line up. I truly believe those gasol minutes cost us this series. If he started serge we would have won this series in 6 games. It seems like we were always playing from behind with gasol on the floor and if he wasn’t on the floor when we were up by 10 he would bring him in and the lead would disappear!

The gasol minutes is one of the most mind boggling decisions I’ve seen from a raptor coach and we’ve seen some questionable decisions from Casey, Kevin O Neal and Mitchell.

Sorry but there’s no excuse for staying with gasol come hell or high water in the starting 5. It was a casey level decision.

Wow Completely forgot about McCaw :lol:
SpaceCenter
Sixth Man
And1: 1,285

Post#50 » by SpaceCenter » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:20 am

tradejosehesux wrote:Maybe some minor adjustments here and there. Siakam literally lost this series by himself

If we just put jefferson out there in his place do we win?
tradejosehesux
Starter
And1: 3,858

Post#51 » by tradejosehesux » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:22 am

SpaceCenter wrote:
tradejosehesux wrote:Maybe some minor adjustments here and there. Siakam literally lost this series by himself

If we just put jefferson out there in his place do we win?

Most likely
blackcosmos
Junior
And1: 413

Post#52 » by blackcosmos » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:23 am

Other than too much Gasol. I can't really complain.

he was never going to his bench too much after being down 0-2. And I understand why leave pascal in the game most of the time. it was up to pascal not to suck
blackcosmos
Junior
And1: 413

Post#53 » by blackcosmos » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:23 am

Other than too much Gasol. I can't really complain.

he was never going to his bench too much after being down 0-2. And I understand why leave pascal in the game most of the time. it was up to pascal not to suck
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#54 » by basketball royalty » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:23 am

D

Stuck with ‘his guys’ too much. Was inflexible with rotations. Thought he was a saviour when he went with the small lineup when that was a no brainer. I don’t think there was a game in this series where he played Serge more mins than Gasol. He is lucky to get a D.
props to Turbozone for the sig
RaptorsNorth
RealGM

Post#55 » by RaptorsNorth » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:32 am

Scott Hall wrote:
RaptorsNorth wrote:Nurse has been making some questionable decisions even before the playoffs. Never forget the head scratching McCaw starting minutes while he did nothing out there. Nurse has a couple of guys he gets attach to and will play them nonstop even if they’re trash and that’s the gasol situation. Even if he played pascal it’s somewhat understandable because he’s your star player but the Celtics weren’t even guarding gasol at times. How is that helpful to your offense if they’re not guarding him and he’s not looking to score ? The guy is a old vet there was no reason to ride him come hell or high water as if he was a factor out there. The guy should have been used how Stevens used guys like Williams, Kanter, Semi ect.. he had no business being in the starting line up. I truly believe those gasol minutes cost us this series. If he started serge we would have won this series in 6 games. It seems like we were always playing from behind with gasol on the floor and if he wasn’t on the floor when we were up by 10 he would bring him in and the lead would disappear!

Wow Completely forgot about McCaw :lol:
Another guy that had us playing 4 on 5 offense. That was the moment i started to raise an eyebrow.

I could see it now

Lowry
McCaw
OG
Pascal
Gasol

Swept by the Celtics.

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,342

Post#56 » by TOStateofMind » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:37 am

Just wish he made the switch quicker when the starting lineup was struggling to score in the series, and esp in G7.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM

Post#57 » by RaptorsNorth » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:47 am

Nurse getting his share of the heat on social media and rightfully so. Some woeful decisions on his part.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#58 » by Geddy » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:59 am

Nurse gave me flashbacks of Casey just like how Siakam gave me flashbacks of Derozan
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
RaptorsNorth
RealGM

Post#59 » by RaptorsNorth » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:14 am

Some people are only looking at this game. You have to look at the whole series When looking at the job Nurse did and this man never once said maybe I should make at least 1 charge in the starting line up. I mean we got blown out in some of these game’s and Nurse made no changes.

Nurse is too soft and thats the issue. He cared more about massaging the egos of Pascal and Gasol over making tough coaching decisions and rattling a few cages.

I said It before and I’ll say it again. If we started Serge the raptors would have won this series in 6 games. You just can’t have 2 players in the starting line up that’s not giving you anything on offensive end to the point the other team is not guarding one of them and stick with it for a whole series. It’s mind blowing when you really think about some of these loses we suffered in this series and he just kept throwing out the same line up that would always have us in a hole by the end of the first quarter. Where would we be with better starts to these games instead wasting our energy digging out of early holes ?

WildWolfdog
Junior
And1: 293

Post#60 » by WildWolfdog » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:50 am

knickerbocker2k2 wrote:Most stubborn coach we've ever had. For all his positive traits he has glaring holes. We saw it last year with FVV but this year he has outdone himself with how he rode Gasol and Pascal to death. When player is struggling he literally doubles down. The worse you play the more he plays you. Mind boggling.

Lots of jokes on how Casey had his minutes set before the game and nothing he sees in the game changes that. This 100% true with Nurse. Guy has the players he trusts and nothing other players do will change that. We saw this in the regular season and he has doubled down the playoffs. Game 7 was perfect illustration of this. We played fluid and high energy with Ibaka/Norm/Thomas after slow start, but after just 4 minutes he takes out Thomas and goes back to Pascal. Was Pascal playing so well to deserve 41 minutes? We couldn't run a bit more with Ibaka/Thomas? Our roster is so versatile that we should not be living and dying with any one or two players when we can try something else if it ain't working

Sent from my Mi 9T using RealGM mobile app

It says you joined RealGM in 2003 - so clearly you've been a fan for a long time.

And you seriously think Nurse is the most stubborn coach we've ever had? The one coach who is always thinking outside the box and throwing out crazy plays and schemes is the most stubborn coach?

Maybe you're still reeling from the game 7 loss - that's the only reason anyone could say something like that.
Coming on RealGm reminds me how much I hate our **** up annoying tweener "the sky falls everyday in Raptorland" fanbase.

Return to Toronto Raptors