ImageImageImageImageImage

Series Of Racist Pascal Change.org Petitions Pop Up

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Re: Series Of Racist Pascal Change.org Petitions Pop Up 

Post#101 » by dagger » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:09 pm

A reminder for those of you who don't follow such things, there is a lot of foreign activity on social media - Russian government trolls in particular - designed to foment division among us, as they are doing by creating sites or posting memes designed to provoke racist responses. I don't take at face value that such petitions are started by fans, or even locals who want to s-disturb. Some locals obviously get on board these things, but I am very circumspect about the source of the petitions. They are meant to inflame and divide. Be suspicious of the source. This is happening throughout the US as race becomes a major issue in the election there.

Is Canada a racist country? I don't think you can generalize about such a broad topic. Are there rabid racists? Yes, polling shows they are still are in small minority. Is there systemic racism in hiring, policing, access to venture capital, etc, yes, very much so, even among well-meaning people who don't understand how institutions are biased against visible minorities and First Nations. The good and bad usually co-exist, and the challenge is to tilt the system more towards the good and choke off the bad practices and rules and behaviour. But as for loud, deeply racist people - every country has them, every cultural group has them (I mean, what do some South Asian Muslims think of South Asian Hindus and vice versa)? We shouldn't be holier than thou, but we also shouldn't be naive that there are racist tendencies in us all, even the pious, and that we have to suppress those instincts.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,592

Post#102 » by Son Goku 25 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:10 pm

I was trying to avoid this thread as it will boil my blood some more smh man some ppl
Read
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#103 » by MavCarter » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:19 pm

People really trying to deflect on the russians and boston fans lmao. How about we just acknowledge the fact that theres always going to be **** people in fanbases and let them know this kind of **** wont be tolerated amongst the large majority. Dudes shouldnt feel comfortable enough to post **** like this
#Enjoytheride
GameChannel
Rookie
And1: 1,003

Post#104 » by GameChannel » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:00 pm

GQStylin wrote:
GameChannel wrote:I am not surprised. People are naive to think Canada doesn't have wide-spread racism. It is quite prevalent in our society. Its not yet mainstream as it is in the states but if anyone wants to see how many racists MAGA clones there are in Canada, just look up the comments section of any news videos from CTV, Global, CBC etc. You will find those filled with Far-right bigots who act and talk just like the MAGA supporters down south. From bigotry to racism, wanting to kill liberal politicians to anti-immigration rhetoric and dismissing social issues like climate change, covid, gender equality, BLM etc, you will find it all there. Canada is not as friendly as people might think. We have dark elements hiding in the shadows waiting to go full-main stream. All they need is a far-right fear monger to become PM and they will all creep out of hiding.

Because Canada DOES NOT have 'wide-spread racism', just that the constant coverage of every little real or perceived act of racism makes you think that's the case. Canada has almost 38 million people living here and if even 0.0001% of that number commit some sort of racist act or crime that's 3,800 incidents right there, but you're still going to condemn the other 99%+ of Canadians who aren't racist or at least don't commit any kind of racist crimes? Yeah that's really fair.

Going by your reasoning then why aren't you condemning all the never ending shootings, stabbings and other violent crimes being committed predominately by one demographic of people in the GTA? Somehow THAT'S racist to 'have a conversation' about and to say that that problem is systemic to one group of people and it needs to stop?

Also you talk about 'far right, MAGA hat, white supremacists' etc. as being racist, but NEVER EVER will talk about all the non-white racist people out there who are also bigoted and discriminatory? OK. :roll: This shows just how selective people are in how they care about 'racism and bigotry' when they ONLY care about an incident if the perpetrators and victims are of the correct skin color/ethnic background.

My point proven. It didn't take too much to prove it.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#105 » by Metallikid » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:44 am

RaptorsNorth wrote:politician

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Incredibly silly to give this any attention. A tiny amount of people making a bull petition because they're angry and want to be inflammatory.

Politicians and journalists should be ashamed of reporting on this. So many more things that are positive even on a small scale outweigh this crap.
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#106 » by Metallikid » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:53 am

Tor_Raps wrote:Hope one day there can be an actual internet police to trace people like this and charge them with a hate crime.

That is ridiculous and the amount of people here thinking it's okay to dox and commit violence against people because they make a racist petition really just goes to show how values across society are degrading. No, we don't need internet cops because some people are ****. You can just not give them any attention if you don't want to. You can choose not to became enraged because of some words on a screen.

No, they don't deserve to have violence committed on them or their livelihood destroyed because they're ****, I don't think you realize that you cannot have functioning society without a tolerance for a wide range of opinions, and the result of that is that some will be extreme **** who are racist, etc. Like it or not we have to live with everyone and the more we make black and white judgments of the nature some of you guys are suggesting the more we are fragmenting society and polarizing our daily discourse.

The two best ways to deal with people acting in a racist manner are to 1. ignore them and 2. show them why they are wrong.

Saying let's destroy people's lives because they said X or believe Y hearkens back to pre-Enlightenment society. None of you want that.
tosi
Assistant Coach
And1: 504

Post#107 » by tosi » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:25 am

I was mad at Pascal's play but whoever did that is absolutely a disgusting person
fart wrote:I agree. get over it people. MJ is ridicoulsly overrated that people have developed this perception that no one can challenge him for GOAT.
C.Boshly
Analyst
And1: 605

Post#108 » by C.Boshly » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:28 am

refshateRaps wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:
UnRealGM wrote:i mean, look at the over reactionary posts on this very board. it's not a far stretch that these are guys who are posting here.

There are idiots everywhere.

It's when people start painting everybody with that same paint brush. They don't speak for me.

Thanks to the internet the 99.9% are painted as the 0.1%

The extreme minority do and say things so disturbing many people cant help but give them all the attention.

The internet has been great and horrible at the same time...

But I'm also beyond tired of seeing this crap being painted as a reflection of regular society, as it creates a false level of mistrust in others

The only outright racist incidents I have seen in 6 years commuting daily on TTC was twice black men harassing white passengers in what was probably the most vulgar rants I have ever heard in my life.

All passengers tried to ignore it because they were obviously idiots or suffering from a mental illness. If the colour of the people involved were reversed I am sure a video tape of the incident would be national news.

I am not sure we need a national conversation every time a crazy person gets caught on tape with a racist rant. It does not bring us together nor, do I believe, is it indicative of a larger problem.

You said it much more elegantly than me but I think we all would be stronger not focusing on the extreme minority that the media gives a voice to and concentrate on attitudes within our local communities and the people we interact with everyday.

This also doesn’t mean we should ignore legit grievances or turn a blind eye. However we need to establish a more rational and less emotional dialogue.
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,391

Post#109 » by beanbag » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:29 am

Metallikid wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Hope one day there can be an actual internet police to trace people like this and charge them with a hate crime.

That is ridiculous and the amount of people here thinking it's okay to dox and commit violence against people because they make a racist petition really just goes to show how values across society are degrading. No, we don't need internet cops because some people are ****. You can just not give them any attention if you don't want to. You can choose not to became enraged because of some words on a screen.

No, they don't deserve to have violence committed on them or their livelihood destroyed because they're ****, I don't think you realize that you cannot have functioning society without a tolerance for a wide range of opinions, and the result of that is that some will be extreme **** who are racist, etc. Like it or not we have to live with everyone and the more we make black and white judgments of the nature some of you guys are suggesting the more we are fragmenting society and polarizing our daily discourse.

The two best ways to deal with people acting in a racist manner are to 1. ignore them and 2. show them why they are wrong.

Saying let's destroy people's lives because they said X or believe Y hearkens back to pre-Enlightenment society. None of you want that.

You're on a pretty high horse there defending racism. Are you one of the founding fathers?

*Leans over at David Spade and squints*

That ole Tommy Jefferson over there?
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#110 » by Metallikid » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:16 am

beanbag wrote:
Metallikid wrote:

You're on a pretty high horse there defending racism. Are you one of the founding fathers?

If you can't see what my point is and choose to instead slander and smear me you're going to end up with a permaban pretty fast.
beanbag
Analyst

Post#111 » by beanbag » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:28 am

Metallikid wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Metallikid wrote:

If you can't see what my point is and choose to instead slander and smear me you're going to end up with a permaban pretty fast.

I see what your point, it's just that it sucks, so you get the above response.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#112 » by MixxSRC » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:29 am

Metallikid wrote:

Don't give mercy to those who wouldn't give it to you.
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#113 » by Metallikid » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:30 am

MixxSRC wrote:
Metallikid wrote:

Yeah you'll really enjoy an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth society. I bet you even think it will end the problems we have instead of making them worse. Short-sighted thinking is everywhere nowadays.
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#114 » by Metallikid » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:33 am

beanbag wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
beanbag wrote:

Nah, I'm pretty sure you don't get it, because if you did you'd realize that saying I'm defending racists is about the dumbest response you could give.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#115 » by MixxSRC » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:35 am

Metallikid wrote:
MixxSRC wrote:
Metallikid wrote:

Yeah you'll really enjoy an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth society. I bet you even think it will end the problems we have instead of making them worse. Short-sighted thinking is everywhere nowadays.

Eye for eye leaves one guy blind first, not everyone. So be first to strike
beanbag
Analyst

Post#116 » by beanbag » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:36 am

Metallikid wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Metallikid wrote:

Nah, I'm pretty sure you don't get it, because if you did you'd realize that saying I'm defending racists is about the dumbest response you could give.

No, what you said is outing racists online is bad because.....racists are people too?
alan_156
Senior
And1: 755

Post#117 » by alan_156 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:50 am

Did he suck in the bubble? Of course he did. Is he worth the money that we're about to pay him? Who knows right now. But one thing is for sure, he's human and deserves respect like anyone one of us.
Par36
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,023

Post#118 » by Par36 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:18 am

Westside Gunn wrote:lol didnt you know these minorities can be racist as **** too? for all the flack white people get, ive encountered worse **** from minorities in canada

find these **** and post em up. look ive been pissed off about pascal too the worst ive said is trade his ass, but then i realized this was a fake season and he helped the team get a chip so its all good

I agree.

Still this **** is sad.
Rebel INS
Sixth Man
And1: 736

Post#119 » by Rebel INS » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:01 pm

If people don't think Canada has some real issues with racism bubbling under the surface, just take a look at how many 'alt right'/'alt lite' media personalities and figure heads Canada has been producing and who have been on the forefront of this 'pan western values'/anti immigration' movement in the US

People like Lauren Southern or Stefan Molyneaux are indistinguishable from American alt-lite/alt-right talking heads with their rhetoric, but their white (or code word 'western') nationalist rhetoric is rooted in their antipathy to the growth of multiculturalism in Canada

Just because things are under the surface here, and these people need to go to America and abroad to be able to promote this rhetoric publically right now, doesn't mean its not still here
AreBe
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,472

Post#120 » by AreBe » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:17 pm

There are people in Canada who find anything but hockey somehow encroaching on Canada and they feel they have a patriotic duty to try to discredit anything not hockey.

What they fail to realize is that the United States is the nation in National Hockey League.
Holy Moses! Take a look! Flesh decayed in every nook! Some rare bits of brain lie here, Mortal loads of beef and beer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_McKittrick_Ros

Return to Toronto Raptors