ImageImageImageImageImage

Africans in North America

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Buddythefriend
Junior
And1: 476

Re: Africans in North America 

Post#21 » by Buddythefriend » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:15 pm

NBA players that come from Europe may tend to be less physical as a biproduct of the European style of game. Oh wow what a terrible thing I just acknowledged - ban me!
mjd58
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#22 » by mjd58 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:15 pm

Troubadour wrote:
mjd58 wrote:
Ivre wrote:Wow. This is some highly speculative and wordy ideology. To write that much without any listed evidence is dedicated. I’m surprised the author didn’t reference the shape of the African head or some other Phrenological Crap.

As Akbar said, “it’s a trap”

What is difficult about what I suggested?

The body is an integrated system of interacting components. These components in turn are synchronized with the external environment - with the atmosphere, for instance. Do you deny climate change? What I'm writing is no more different than claiming taht the changing co2 composition in the atmosphere will induce a mass die off of life forms that are synchronized to operate in certain temperature ranges.

The issue, clearly, is literacy.

I really do hope the moderators here have a tolerance for intellectual conversations that are relevant to the issue being suggested by this thread. I LOVE Pascal Siakam the person, and want him very much to succeed; I am also fairly educated in the biological, ecological and psychological sciences, so I'm generally concerned that energy/fatigue issues could exist because of discrepancies between the African and North American micriobiota.

Similar problems could be plausibly claimed for South America and North America.

What is intellectual about your baseless speculation on two athletes? You’re ignorant and pass off your dehumanizing views of African people as scientific inquiry. It’s pathetic and you should be embarrassed

Would I go up to someone claiming to have knowledge of engineering and critique his analysis of an engineering issue? If I'm ignorant of engineering, I'm in no position to comment. Why can't you show an equivalent self-awareness and not attack someone merely expressing a knowledge-base about something you yourself are evidently entirely ignorant of?

Yet you call me ignorant. :noway:

I can see that so far your are seeing me as someone being motivated by racism, and using sophisticated language merely to push a racist-agenda. Is it perhaps possible that your emotional state is causing you to respond this way, and that its possible that I am not as your preconceiving me to be - motivated by hatred - but rather, by a genuine interest in an issue that is implied by the physical sciences?

Granted, I am assuming a knowledge base in my readers that is anything but common. Complexity sciences - knowing how the physical environment evolves into the living environment, and then into mind, is a complex field which requires knowledge of cosmology, physics, biophysics, geophysics, ethology, ecology, evolutionary biology, etc etc to understand.

I have sorely, once again, underestimated my readers competencies. But this I think expresses something very significant about our culture: I can't even share knowledge, or even distill it in a way that makes it relevant to a subject matter we all find interesting, without being accused in a way that seems hysterical of being a racist. In other words, instead of contemplating the general idea: that little tiny creatures called viruses and bacteria, themselves made up of molecules that have geometry and structure, which interact with our own cells, made up of a very similar configuration of molecules with geometry and structure, instead of seeing how these two worlds interact, and how what we call "energy" and "focus" are related to these configurations - anything but a speculative claim (it is the basis of biophysics and physics) - I'm being lambasted by you, a person with a username that certainly conveys a highly emotional nature, of being racist.

It's ridiculous - if anything, because you're not even trying to understand what I'm writing.

What is dehumanizing about what I wrote? If you put a North American person in Africa, we would be the ones with adaptation issues.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#23 » by Troubadour » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:15 pm

Buddythefriend wrote:This thread is perfectly fine. Stop seeking out reasons to be offended. If anything it's continentist, but not racist.

What the **** is continentist? Racists will come up with every word other than racist to describe their views. What’s fine about it? Do you think basketball fans have opinions to add on how migration from Africa to North America impacts stamina? It’s garbage and just serves to dehumanize players you ostensibly support.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,427

Post#24 » by Jcity08 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:16 pm

Buddythefriend wrote:This thread is perfectly fine. Stop seeking out reasons to be offended. If anything it's continentist, but not racist.

I dont need you to instruct me on what thinly veiled racism is. Stop trying to tell us what to or not to be offended by.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#25 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:16 pm

Troubadour wrote:
mjd58 wrote:
Ivre wrote:Wow. This is some highly speculative and wordy ideology. To write that much without any listed evidence is dedicated. I’m surprised the author didn’t reference the shape of the African head or some other Phrenological Crap.

As Akbar said, “it’s a trap”

The body is an integrated system of interacting components. These components in turn are synchronized with the external environment - with the atmosphere, for instance. Do you deny climate change? What I'm writing is no more different than claiming taht the changing co2 composition in the atmosphere will induce a mass die off of life forms that are synchronized to operate in certain temperature ranges.

I really do hope the moderators here have a tolerance for intellectual conversations that are relevant to the issue being suggested by this thread. I LOVE Pascal Siakam the person, and want him very much to succeed; I am also fairly educated in the biological, ecological and psychological sciences, so I'm generally concerned that energy/fatigue issues could exist because of discrepancies between the African and North American micriobiota.

Similar problems could be plausibly claimed for South America and North America.

What is intellectual about your baseless speculation on two athletes? You’re ignorant and pass off your dehumanizing views of African people as scientific inquiry. It’s pathetic and you should be embarrassed

He's in the pursuit of scientific answers based on an inquiry launch point of "Embiid and Siakam complained about their energy levels" :lol:

As if there's only Hakeem, Siakam and Embiid as our sample to draw from, or any other North American born player hasn't complained about being tired before.
Buddythefriend
Junior
And1: 476

Post#26 » by Buddythefriend » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:19 pm

Jcity08 wrote:

I dont need you to instruct me on what thinly veiled racism is. Stop trying to tell us what to or not to be offended by.

Why does your signature show Terence Davis with a Disney backdrop? Are you trying to imply he's a cartoon character? Might be thinly veiled but it is deeply hurtful and offensive. I'm shocked.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,427

Post#27 » by Jcity08 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:22 pm

Buddythefriend wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:

Why does your signature show Terence Davis with a Disney backdrop? Are you trying to imply he's a cartoon character? Might be thinly veiled but is deeply hurtful and offensive. I'm shocked.

You are the bigger cartoon here or maybe you're a clown. Either way, you're a joke and I promise I won't take you seriously anymore.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#28 » by basketball royalty » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:22 pm

This OP is a load of BS. Pascal in known as a energizer bunny so who is his energy effected by the atmosphere or fauna of NA. This **** is covert borderline racist convo trying to fool people into even considering this garbage as an actual possibility.
props to Turbozone for the sig
PT416
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,243

Post#29 » by PT416 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:24 pm

Damn I can't believe Embiid and Siakam are the only players in the entire league to ever complain about energy levels. Thats insane!
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#30 » by basketball royalty » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:25 pm

What does OP have to say about Masais energy levels? Poor guy, how is he able to function at his job being from Africa? Maybe he has to travel back to his soil to recharge like a vampire before he could handle more time in NA. Stupidity.
props to Turbozone for the sig
PT416
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,243

Post#31 » by PT416 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:26 pm

What about Ibaka's energy levels? Is this why he comes off the bench? Fascinating.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#32 » by Troubadour » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:27 pm

mjd58 wrote:
Troubadour wrote:
mjd58 wrote:

Would I go up to someone claiming to have knowledge of engineering and critique his analysis of an engineering issue? If I'm ignorant of engineering, I'm in no position to comment. Why can't you show an equivalent self-awareness and not attack someone merely expressing a knowledge-base about something you yourself are evidently entirely ignorant of?

Yet you call me ignorant. :noway:

I can see that so far your are seeing me as someone being motivated by racism, and using sophisticated language merely to push a racist-agenda. Is it perhaps possible that your emotional state is causing you to respond this way, and that its possible that I am not as your preconceiving me to be - motivated by hatred - but rather, by a genuine interest in an issue that is implied by the physical sciences?

Granted, I am assuming a knowledge base in my readers that is anything but common. Complexity sciences - knowing how the physical environment evolves into the living environment, and then into mind, is a complex field which requires knowledge of cosmology, physics, biophysics, geophysics, ethology, ecology, evolutionary biology, etc etc to understand.

I have sorely, once again, underestimated my readers competencies. But this I think expresses something very significant about our culture: I can't even share knowledge, or even distill it in a way that makes it relevant to a subject matter we all find interesting, without being accused in a way that seems hysterical of being a racist. In other words, instead of contemplating the general idea: that little tiny creatures called viruses and bacteria, themselves made up of molecules that have geometry and structure, which interact with our own cells, made up of a very similar configuration of molecules with geometry and structure, instead of seeing how these two worlds interact, and how what we call "energy" and "focus" are related to these configurations - anything but a speculative claim (it is the basis of biophysics and physics) - I'm being lambasted by you, a person with a username that certainly conveys a highly emotional nature, of being racist.

It's ridiculous - if anything, because you're not even trying to understand what I'm writing.

What is dehumanizing about what I wrote? If you put a North American person in Africa, we would be the ones with adaptation issues.

Prove you’re an expert and post your credentials. Otherwise you’re an incompetent racist with a thesaurus who takes 1000 words to condescendingly explain science. Which is hysterical considering your sample size of 2 and unwillingness to consider confounding variables.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,759

Post#33 » by ItsDanger » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:29 pm

Interesting theory. I don't think there is enough evidence to draw any conclusions. Not really that many African players in NBA.
Europe is different than North America but are there any similar experiences with African soccer players there? I have a place in Florida for the winter months but I never go down there in the summer. The humidity just kills me.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,043

Post#34 » by Westside Gunn » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:34 pm

Hakeem came to NA from Nigeria and straight up dominated

Embid and Siakam probably suck
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,676

Post#35 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:35 pm

So, you're telling me that all they have to do is get a fecal injection and all playoff problems are fixed?

Quick, get me Jordan's poop.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 9,973

Post#36 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:39 pm

icoholic wrote:
mjd58 wrote:
icoholic wrote:I go to Africa a lot, and the first few years, I ran into a bunch of gastro issues... I don't have any issues anymore. Your body gets used to it... Siakam has been in North America long enough to be over any issues.

This isn't War of the Worlds.

Thank you for the response.

Do you think, perhaps, there might be a subtler range for elite athletes? For instance, your not working your body the way Siakam and Embiid are, so maybe the harder you work one system (muscular system), the redundancy of another system (the immune system) becomes less and less?

One possibility in the case of Hakeem for why he might have done better relative to Siakam and Embiid is that he is a Muslim, and his Halal diet might have provided him the extra advantage.

No. Africans have have been playing professional soccer all over the world for decades.

/thread. Also, how much energy did Serge display in Game 7 against the Sixers? Is Giannis "African" by the OP's definition?

But I love talking health and diet and DNA almost as much as I love talking basketball, so I actually welcome this topic. It's well known that when Asians move to North American, they lose their health/longevity advantage. Agriculture started about 10,000 years ago in the Middle East. The evolutionary biologist Michael Rose has theorized and arguably proved through scientific research that races who developed agriculture relatively late haven't had enough generations to become fully adapted to grains and legumes. Such races should stick to a paleo diet rather than a conventional Western diet.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,490

Post#37 » by Duffman100 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:35 pm

Troubadour wrote:Mods, you’re asleep at the wheel. This forum has long been a cesspool for racist garbage and now there are threads openly speculating about how Africans may be worse at basketball as a result of where they are from.

This fan base has disappointed me to no end since Friday.

We don't see and watch the entire forum 24/7. Nor do we read every post from every thread. We are human beings with lives.

If you see a post that is furthering the racist crap like this one, please use the report button so the mods can take care of it

PM me to discuss further.

Return to Toronto Raptors