ImageImageImageImageImage

OTish: Phil Handy and TOR/LAL

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

OTish: Phil Handy and TOR/LAL 

Post#1 » by NPZ » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:48 am

Do you guys think Handy is why the Lakers' team D is excellent thus far? Do you think the Raps' trajectory was altered too much by his departure? Not tryin to troll, I realize you just lost and may still be hurtin, but I was gonna bump an old thread from 2019 about Handy's importance to the Raps this season and half of you were divided. Do you think his exit hurt the Raps and/or improved the Lakers that much? Or not? I decided to unbump the thread so as not to be accused of bumping and created this post, but here that thread is.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1874082
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,077

Re: OTish: Phil Handy and TOR/LAL 

Post#2 » by Westside Gunn » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:59 am

I mean sure, if he stole some stuff from Nurse's playbook. Having Lebron and Rondo's basketball IQ helps a ton too.

Raptors lost because they don't have a legit wingman and were relying on a flawed PF.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#3 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:59 am

I don’t think Handy has much to do with the D or he didn’t in Toronto that is. He was strictly a played development coach here
Mattatron
Starter
And1: 1,665

Post#4 » by Mattatron » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:14 am

Handy is a great guy but I think nurse only got him on the staff because of kawhi, handy worked many years with LeBron (nurse too). Really don't think he had that much of a influence on the court. Maybe experience wise.
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,852

Post#5 » by VancouverRaps » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:34 am

He always seemed like more of a skill development coach/motivator and maybe a bridge guy between the players and Nurse. I’m pretty sure Adrian Griffin is Nurse’s main guy when it comes to defense which is why the Bulls have been interested in him as a head coach.
We the Champs
ratul
General Manager
And1: 4,402

Post#6 » by ratul » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:57 am

Losing Handy was not great. He was awesome. Really helped guys with their handle and broad development. Great pick up for the Lake Show.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,618

Post#7 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:47 am

The Raptors D wasn't the problem. The D was the only thing that kept us in the series while shooting so terribly from 3. Losing Kawhi was the issue, not Phil Handy lol.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,489

Post#8 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:23 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:The Raptors D wasn't the problem. The D was the only thing that kept us in the series while shooting so terribly from 3. Losing Kawhi was the issue, not Phil Handy lol.
Yup.

The Raps with Kawhi beat the Celtics in 5 or 6.
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#9 » by Matty » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:28 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:The Raptors D wasn't the problem. The D was the only thing that kept us in the series while shooting so terribly from 3. Losing Kawhi was the issue, not Phil Handy lol.
Yup.

Raptors with Kawhi and we're cakewalking to the finals.

I don't know why the guy didn't just sign 1 year deal to defend the title and then go home, now with the way his team is playing I don't see how the Lakers lose.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,744

Post#10 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:38 pm

Not one bit. Davis, James actually playing caring to play defense this year, Rondo and Bradley etc. are the big reasons. Maybe you include Vogel but I don't even think so that much.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#11 » by RaptorsLife » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:42 pm

Raptors had a elite defense this year without Phil lol

Phil was definitely a players coach who was loved by the players.

He was with Lebron 4 years in Cleveland before he came to Toronto and cavs weren’t best defense team

I think it’s Anthony Davis and Lebron not have to max out his offense energy like he did in Cleveland
Raptors til death
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#12 » by gerrit4 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:47 pm

When you consider how unstoppable of a scorer Tatum is, we held him in check most of the series. He was still really good, but (if I'm remembering correctly) shot under his season averages. Kemba, obviously was kept in check.

The biggest problem with this team, and we knew it all year, was that when everything tightened up, we didn't have a player with the length/scoring ability to make some shots. We saw it with Fred trying to bomb a three near the end. Heck, even Pascal was able to get off a better contested 3 near the end.

I think we absolutely had a championship calibre defence this year. Our offence was fine when it was working, but when it broke down we were missing Kawhi. No surprise there.
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#13 » by nabbs » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:23 pm

Handy is a good development coach so it hurt to lose him on that end. Xs and Os wise, I don't think he had much input. I could be wrong but given his player development rep, I feel like his assistant duties on the Lakers involves player tendency scouting

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,778

Post#14 » by Zeno » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:41 pm

Matty wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
Yup.

Raptors with Kawhi and we're cakewalking to the finals.

I don't know why the guy didn't just sign 1 year deal to defend the title and then go home, now with the way his team is playing I don't see how the Lakers lose.

I'd love for the Clips to be eliminated and then whispers of Kawhi regret. Something like "if I had known I was going to be in a bubble away from home for months I would have rather stayed on the Raptors...." but sadly as we know whispers coming out of the Kawhi camp is not and will never be a thing.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
sycammer
Head Coach
And1: 1,304

Post#15 » by sycammer » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:44 pm

We didn’t lose because of defence but we didn’t a viable no 1 offence weapon - goto guy who can give 4/6 points in a matter of 2 possessions

That’s what needs to be resolved
Everything else is 2nd
Oakley:

"What's going on the league today? It ain't nothing hard, they don't practice any more, they just go around the court doing nothing."
UnRealGM
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,157

Post#16 » by UnRealGM » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:48 pm

he would have been handy to have around.

i'll show myself out.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,785

Post#17 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:59 pm

Westside Gunn wrote:I mean sure, if he stole some stuff from Nurse's playbook. Having Lebron and Rondo's basketball IQ helps a ton too.

Raptors lost because they don't have a legit wingman and were relying on a flawed PF.

What game were you watching? Marc, who we all love. was -19 in 19 minutes. Matt played 4 minutes and was +6. Serge was +6 in 20 minutes. Nurse is responsible for minute distribution.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"

Return to Toronto Raptors