ImageImageImageImageImage

OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus

Moderators: Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, niQ, Rhettmatic, Patman, pbj, Alfred

User avatar
Kevin Willis
General Manager
Posts: 9,909
And1: 6,010
Joined: Apr 17, 2009
       

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#41 » by Kevin Willis » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:30 pm

Matty wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Matty wrote:
My point is this planet was not created by coincidence. I believe in a Creator just like I know someone coded this website for it to function and to have us chat.


So who created the ''creator''?


The Creator is one and infinite. If people can believe this universe was created out of nothingness, the idea of a divine entity should be easily accepted.


You can believe in a Creator and believe in science. In fact science actually supports the concept of a Creator. But that's digressing the topic.
Perhaps he is hated because he is a narcissist, pathological liar, incapable of decent human emotions, incapable of running an organization such as a government. He incites racial hatred, doesn't know how to handle a crisis - I'll stop there.
Matty
General Manager
Posts: 9,213
And1: 18,271
Joined: Dec 04, 2013
Location: Home of The Golden Asterisk Champions
 

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#42 » by Matty » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:33 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
Matty wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
So who created the ''creator''?


The Creator is one and infinite. If people can believe this universe was created out of nothingness, the idea of a divine entity should be easily accepted.


You can believe in a Creator and believe in science. In fact science actually supports the concept of a Creator. But that's digressing the topic.


I never said don't believe in science. In fact every year we hear about more scientific facts on how the Earth is such a gigantic anomaly in the universe.
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 17,120
And1: 12,695
Joined: Aug 07, 2011
   

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#43 » by UcanUwill » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:37 pm

Matty wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Matty wrote:
My point is this planet was not created by coincidence. I believe in a Creator just like I know someone coded this website for it to function and to have us chat.


So who created the ''creator''?


The Creator is one and infinite. If people can believe this universe was created out of nothingness, the idea of a divine entity should be easily accepted.


People do not believe that really, its just that our knowledge and perception, comprehension is limited. This is people problem, we are smartest life on earth, so people just assume our comprehension is limitless and that we must comprehend everything and should know all the answers. Just like hamster will never understand math, we might never understand origins of existence even if possible answers being right in front us.

Creator theory is so human, and I dont put faith on it at all, it is just so simple, it obviously born in human mind, human who thinks that if he has no scientific answer, than there is none, human who wants to have answers to everyhting.

Obviously I do not respect creator theory, and I maybe dont even need to engage anymore, but our limited science answered already that our world shaped by random chances. Intelligent life evolving is such a long shot, that any intelligent being, evolved due billions upon billions of random chances over millions of years every time adapting to its environment, said intelligent being will never imagine it happening any other way, from his point of view, his environment and evolution will always seem perfect, like its set up. Our comprehension has limit, but we can comprehend that, we can understand the wrong of our shortsighed thinking. We are those intelligent beings who perceive that our world is ''perfect'', like its set up, but its not, its an outcome of billions upon billion of chances.
BD006
Starter
Posts: 2,348
And1: 168
Joined: Aug 08, 2003
Location: GTA
     

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#44 » by BD006 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:42 pm

Matty wrote:I think the fact that we’re the only ones out there


That's not a fact...
User avatar
Cluck Kent
Sophomore
Posts: 103
And1: 16
Joined: Jul 15, 2006
   

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#45 » by Cluck Kent » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:43 pm

Why would a creator only bother to put life on only one planet in the entire universe?

There is no doubt the creator has science down cold.

What makes you special and unique is not that the creator created one habitable planet, it's that you were the 1 in 100 million sperm to fertilize the egg. You had to win a race against 99,999,999 other guys just to be born. If that doesn't deserve a congratulations, I don't know what does.

All those other guys? No second place award.
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 17,120
And1: 12,695
Joined: Aug 07, 2011
   

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#46 » by UcanUwill » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:45 pm

Matty wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:
Matty wrote:
The Creator is one and infinite. If people can believe this universe was created out of nothingness, the idea of a divine entity should be easily accepted.


You can believe in a Creator and believe in science. In fact science actually supports the concept of a Creator. But that's digressing the topic.


I never said don't believe in science. In fact every year we hear about more scientific facts on how the Earth is such a gigantic anomaly in the universe.


I dont know what science you following then, we find more and more distant planets possibly similar to earth, our tools are still primitive and judging space bodies so far away. We are just now starting to explore Mars and Venus, we still dont know was there life on those, you realize how piss poor that is, Mars and Venus are so close to our planet compared other system, its not even funny. It would take billions of years of science evolution and us being alive to truly explore the universe.
User avatar
Kevin Willis
General Manager
Posts: 9,909
And1: 6,010
Joined: Apr 17, 2009
       

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#47 » by Kevin Willis » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:53 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Matty wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
So who created the ''creator''?


The Creator is one and infinite. If people can believe this universe was created out of nothingness, the idea of a divine entity should be easily accepted.


People do not believe that really, its just that our knowledge and perception, comprehension is limited. This is people problem, we are smartest life on earth, so people just assume our comprehension is limitless and that we must comprehend everything and should know all the answers. Just like hamster will never understand math, we might never understand origins of existence even if possible answers being right in front us.

Creator theory is so human, and I dont put faith on it at all, it is just so simple, it obviously born in human mind, human who thinks that if he has no scientific answer, than there is none, human who wants to have answers to everyhting.

Obviously I do not respect creator theory, and I maybe dont even need to engage anymore, but our limited science answered already that our world shaped by random chances. Intelligent life evolving is such a long shot, that any intelligent being, evolved due billions upon billions of random chances over millions of years every time adapting to its environment, said intelligent being will never imagine it happening any other way, from his point of view, his environment and evolution will always seem perfect, like its set up. Our comprehension has limit, but we can comprehend that, we can understand the wrong of our shortsighed thinking. We are those intelligent beings who perceive that our world is ''perfect'', like its set up, but its not, its an outcome of billions upon billion of chances.


Science disproves that though. The universe is full of laws and rules that are certain. A world full of randomness and chance would result in situations like spontaneous combustion. People would be walking around and turning to flaming because that fits the notion of randomness. But science has demonstrated the world has order, it has structure, it has lifecycles, it has evolution. We don't see animals devolving for example - why is that? Why aren't we going back to an amoeba?

I agree we know nothing. Our understanding of the universe is limited, we went from Newton's Theories to Quantum Theories and we will continue to progress. We exist in 3D but there is evidence of 4D. There is so much we don't know that we can't just declare it randomness - that's too easy. Just because we don't know the structure behind it, doesn't mean that structure does not exist. Also nobody believes our world is perfect, in fact most scientists believe there are many Super Earths out there that are actually better than ours. Larger size. Better protection from asteriods. More ideal distance from the sun. A better sun. So you're sort of insulting who we are. We are a sentient race that sees pattern and rules in the universe while acknowledging we don't know so much. But out universe shows signs of being designed, that's why people think we're living in a hologram because it seems too well designed. Which goes back to the original thought that if you have a designer you have a Creator. We are too limited to even begin to understand what that Creator would be like or how they constructed this universe.
Perhaps he is hated because he is a narcissist, pathological liar, incapable of decent human emotions, incapable of running an organization such as a government. He incites racial hatred, doesn't know how to handle a crisis - I'll stop there.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
Posts: 14,103
And1: 9,007
Joined: Jun 09, 2003
     

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#48 » by B-Ball Freak » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:20 pm

Westside Gunn wrote:they keep finding ****
and then you never hear about it 3 months from now


lets put that money to good use like curing cancer


No, they need to take some money away from the military instead of taking it from science and space research. We gonna need to get off this rock one day.
User avatar
UcanUwill
RealGM
Posts: 17,120
And1: 12,695
Joined: Aug 07, 2011
   

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#49 » by UcanUwill » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:29 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:Science disproves that though. The universe is full of laws and rules that are certain. A world full of randomness and chance would result in situations like spontaneous combustion. People would be walking around and turning to flaming because that fits the notion of randomness. But science has demonstrated the world has order, it has structure, it has lifecycles, it has evolution. We don't see animals devolving for example - why is that? Why aren't we going back to an amoeba?


science disproves what exactly, I dont really understand your point? From what I know, most science laws came to be in the first moments of big bang, in different universes, some science laws like speed of light might differ. And of course there are scientific laws, because it suppose to be for existence to exist, but thats not the reason why we deevolve, animals do not deevolve because it makes no sense, this is not about scietific law of any kind, its about the passage of time, everything tries to adapt over time or it dies out.

We do exist in 4D, there is X axis, Y axis, Z axis and then there is time, time is the 4th. dimension, we are 3 dimensional beings constantly moving in 4 dimensional world, but as 3 dimensional beings, we cant perceive time dimension, time is constantly twisting and turning, but we cant see that, jus like 2dimesional being wouldnt be able to see Z axis.
User avatar
720
RealGM
Posts: 19,468
And1: 45,911
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Mississauga
     

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#50 » by 720 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:40 pm

Matty wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Matty wrote:
My point is this planet was not created by coincidence. I believe in a Creator just like I know someone coded this website for it to function and to have us chat.


So who created the ''creator''?


The Creator is one and infinite. If people can believe this universe was created out of nothingness, the idea of a divine entity should be easily accepted.

It’s the other way around, if people can believe that some god out there existed since the beginning of time, in fact be the creator of time itself. Then it would also be easily acceptable everything came out of nothing as well, without needing the existence of an omnipresent force.
Image
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 26,887
And1: 25,732
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#51 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:46 pm

B-Ball Freak wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:they keep finding ****
and then you never hear about it 3 months from now


lets put that money to good use like curing cancer


No, they need to take some money away from the military instead of taking it from science and space research. We gonna need to get off this rock one day.


Although there is no way to prove this since you and I are finite, that's never going to happen as it's physically impossible. From the impossibility of living for a long duration in space to the impossibility of faster than light travel and the energy it would required to possibly break that law.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
Posts: 14,103
And1: 9,007
Joined: Jun 09, 2003
     

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#52 » by B-Ball Freak » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:58 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
B-Ball Freak wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:they keep finding ****
and then you never hear about it 3 months from now


lets put that money to good use like curing cancer


No, they need to take some money away from the military instead of taking it from science and space research. We gonna need to get off this rock one day.


Although there is no way to prove this since you and I are finite, that's never going to happen as it's physically impossible. From the impossibility of living for a long duration in space to the impossibility of faster than light travel and the energy it would required to possibly break that law.


I meant the human race in general, the sun is gonna expand and blow up one day and swallow everything in its radius. If the human race doesn't wanna get swallowed up along with everything in its path it would be wise for us to keep doing research on space and space exploration.

While I agree FTL travel is impossible, there are other ways for the human race to travel for long periods of time that might sound like science fiction now but theoretically possible inthe future and thats why research needs to keep going. The research will ramp up once we find out there's money in exploring space.
gha4life
Pro Prospect
Posts: 842
And1: 176
Joined: Apr 18, 2007
Location: toronto

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#53 » by gha4life » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:01 pm

WeTheNorth123 wrote:Call me when they find traces of Pascals jump shot......sh"t's a bigger mystery!


Sent from my SM-N975W using RealGM mobile app
scirocco53
Junior
Posts: 458
And1: 135
Joined: Dec 11, 2005
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#54 » by scirocco53 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:10 pm

pfft, let me know when Paskal finds his game again.
"Release the hounds"
GREATPURPLESHARK
Sophomore
Posts: 122
And1: 13
Joined: Oct 12, 2004
Location: Toronto

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#55 » by GREATPURPLESHARK » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:23 pm

Matty wrote:
C_Money wrote:Not surprised. Odds are good that there is life all over the universe. If we are the only ones then its the biggest fluke of all time.


I think the fact that we’re the only ones out there is a sign that this isn’t a fluke and an entity created us.

A distance close or farther from the sun would make this planet more or less the same as Mars or Venus.



Hate to break it you, but both Mars and Venus are in the same “goldilocks zone” for habitable life that Earth is. Also, you seem to think that Earth is just exactly the right distance from the sun for life and if we were even just a little bit closer or farther away then we could not sustain life, at least that’s what the “fine tuning” argument says, which I assume you are trying to use here. Sorry again, but Earth’s orbit is not consistent. We routinely vary our distance from the sun by about five million kilometres. If you want to try using science to support your arguments please make sure the science you use comes from actual scientists not christian apologist sites.
Oakvillehoops
Junior
Posts: 496
And1: 721
Joined: Apr 27, 2015
       

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#56 » by Oakvillehoops » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:32 pm

Matty wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:
Matty wrote:
The Creator is one and infinite. If people can believe this universe was created out of nothingness, the idea of a divine entity should be easily accepted.


You can believe in a Creator and believe in science. In fact science actually supports the concept of a Creator. But that's digressing the topic.


I never said don't believe in science. In fact every year we hear about more scientific facts on how the Earth is such a gigantic anomaly in the universe.


Nothing is created without a creator. However the original creator does not need a creator, because he would not be bound to space, matter and time. It’s silly to think that a being powerful enough to create the universe would be bound to the same scientific laws that we believe
GREATPURPLESHARK
Sophomore
Posts: 122
And1: 13
Joined: Oct 12, 2004
Location: Toronto

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#57 » by GREATPURPLESHARK » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:34 pm

Matty wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Matty wrote:
I think the fact that we’re the only ones out there is a sign that this isn’t a fluke and an entity created us.

A distance close or farther from the sun would make this planet more or less the same as Mars or Venus.


Universe is so insanely large and old, there are most likely millions of planets with life even if the odds of climate sustaining life are 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 to 1


My point is this planet was not created by coincidence. I believe in a Creator just like I know someone coded this website for it to function and to have us chat.



This planet was not created by coincidence, nor was it likely created by any “creator”. It was created by natural laws of physics that we are well aware of and that we can observe happening in star and planet formation elsewhere in the galaxy. There is no “creator” required.
User avatar
Kevin Willis
General Manager
Posts: 9,909
And1: 6,010
Joined: Apr 17, 2009
       

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#58 » by Kevin Willis » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:35 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:Science disproves that though. The universe is full of laws and rules that are certain. A world full of randomness and chance would result in situations like spontaneous combustion. People would be walking around and turning to flaming because that fits the notion of randomness. But science has demonstrated the world has order, it has structure, it has lifecycles, it has evolution. We don't see animals devolving for example - why is that? Why aren't we going back to an amoeba?


science disproves what exactly, I dont really understand your point? From what I know, most science laws came to be in the first moments of big bang, in different universes, some science laws like speed of light might differ. And of course there are scientific laws, because it suppose to be for existence to exist, but thats not the reason why we deevolve, animals do not deevolve because it makes no sense, this is not about scietific law of any kind, its about the passage of time, everything tries to adapt over time or it dies out.

We do exist in 4D, there is X axis, Y axis, Z axis and then there is time, time is the 4th. dimension, we are 3 dimensional beings constantly moving in 4 dimensional world, but as 3 dimensional beings, we cant perceive time dimension, time is constantly twisting and turning, but we cant see that, jus like 2dimesional being wouldnt be able to see Z axis.


Yes I agree science laws always existed. That is my point. It didn't evolve or change they were here from the moment of the big bang. In a world of supposed randomness why would science laws themselves not be random? In terms of scientific laws that's my point again. Law or rules or patterns need to be designed and fixed. What and who designed and fixed them? In terms of what it would be like in different universes having differing speed of light that would be irrelevant. Whomever designed that universe would have created rules and laws that are fixed for that universe. The whole point is to go against this theory of randomness creating who we are.

In terms of animals not devolving that is not true. If randomness existed that a series of randomness put us together then equally a series of randomness will logically pull us apart. It's random right. But logically we have an evolution structure, the body develops a system that works and makes redundant things that don't. Like our tail for example. Also if things are random why don't we see parallel tracks of single development. Single cells still exist, why don't we see them in our many years of human existing evolving. It requires some faith to believe that a single cell organism magically became multi-cellular does it not? Then why not believe that there was a higher plan in order or at the very least respect people who have that belief.

I put time into 3D. We witness and experience time but 4D is different. As you said we can't truly perceive or manipulate time dimensions and yes time is constantly twisting and turning, like around the event horizon of a black hole. Two years ago two different research groups completed very different test that concluded 4D must exist but they don't know what that is. We can't comprehend it and we lack the ability to see it. Like we know the wind is there and we know it plays a factor but we can't see it.

My point is that the universe is unlikely just randomness. The fact we even have dimensions suggest planning and thought. Science itself supports that structure, plan or design but we're too early to fully understand. And if there is structure and design then there is most likely a designer or Creator and it takes just as much faith to believe we're a mixture of random chance that only happened once among the billions of years and trillions of stars and planets of the universe existence than it does to believe there might be a method to this madness that is beyond our scope.
Perhaps he is hated because he is a narcissist, pathological liar, incapable of decent human emotions, incapable of running an organization such as a government. He incites racial hatred, doesn't know how to handle a crisis - I'll stop there.
User avatar
Raps in 4
RealGM
Posts: 47,525
And1: 34,533
Joined: Nov 01, 2008
Location: Toronto
 

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#59 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:39 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
Matty wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
So who created the ''creator''?


The Creator is one and infinite. If people can believe this universe was created out of nothingness, the idea of a divine entity should be easily accepted.


You can believe in a Creator and believe in science. In fact science actually supports the concept of a Creator. But that's digressing the topic.


Watching Cosmos (Neil deGrasse Tyson version) was one of the most spiritual experiences of my life lol.
User avatar
Kevin Willis
General Manager
Posts: 9,909
And1: 6,010
Joined: Apr 17, 2009
       

Re: OT Breaking: Life Found on Venus 

Post#60 » by Kevin Willis » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:40 pm

Oakvillehoops wrote:
Matty wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:
You can believe in a Creator and believe in science. In fact science actually supports the concept of a Creator. But that's digressing the topic.


I never said don't believe in science. In fact every year we hear about more scientific facts on how the Earth is such a gigantic anomaly in the universe.


Nothing is created without a creator. However the original creator does not need a creator, because he would not be bound to space, matter and time. It’s silly to think that a being powerful enough to create the universe would be bound to the same scientific laws that we believe


Yep. Well said Oakville. Like police officers the creator would be above the law and can do anything. Thinking of this stuff gives me a headache and I accept there are things out there I will never understand - I accept that it's there and move on.
Perhaps he is hated because he is a narcissist, pathological liar, incapable of decent human emotions, incapable of running an organization such as a government. He incites racial hatred, doesn't know how to handle a crisis - I'll stop there.

Return to Toronto Raptors