ImageImageImageImageImage

Does Fvv have a high basketball IQ ?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,221

Re: Does Fvv have a high basketball IQ ? 

Post#41 » by sidsid » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:36 pm

Young Moosehead wrote:
sidsid wrote:I think people are confusing his set of skills for IQ.

Fred's BBall IQ is fine. He's solid and knows what to do and where to be on the floor.

Fred's issue is that he's a combo guard with a bias towards scoring who is being asked to be more of pure pg in our offense.

The guy would look off Kawhi and call his own number. He doesn't have Lowry's vision for passing so that's why he ends up getting blocked at the rim more often.

It's why most would like to see him put into more of an off ball role where he isn't leaning into his liabilities as much.

That's not an IQ problem. More of a role definition problem on our team.

True, its why he worked so well with Delon Wright. They could switch their roles. FVV could handle the shooting responsibility of the 2 and cover the 1 on D. Delon could distribute at the 1, then use his size to switch to the 2 on D.

If we are going to lay out the big money for Fred we need a rich man's Delon as his back court mate. I think that is what they spent so much time trying to develop McCaw.

I don't think it's Delon, who is also a combo guard, but the bench mob system that was the key. FVV is playing next to a great point guard now in Lowry, and we still ran into issues against playoff defenses.

Again, role definition is what's key. In the bench mob, FVV was an initiator that had a set number of reads he could make out of a constantly in motion offense. He wasn't making the decisions on the fly, the system was the pg in that scenario. The system drew the defensive attention. Some of the best ball we ever saw.

In this year's offense, FVV is the co-primary initiator for the vast majority of the game. He makes the reads and decisions, and he draws a lot of the defensive attention. With his size and skill limitations, that means your going to be mediocre to bad inside the arc against elite playoff teams with size.

If FVV is an engine on your team, your going to be mediocre. If FVV is a cog on your team who can exploit his full toolset (likely requires a couple superstars on your team), he can be a great asset. We just may never have the team to make that happen.
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#42 » by Pooh_Jeter » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:03 pm

Having a gigantic ego and limited physical tools is not a good mix. Only a lottery team should be relying on him to be their "guy."
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,851

Post#43 » by VancouverRaps » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:07 pm

I’d say he’s a bit above average when it BBIQ. He does tend to take efficient shots(3’s and shots at the rim, even though his finishing at the rim is weak so if he had higher BBIQ he’d drive and kick more). His playmaking/vision for a PG is not that good. He’s a pretty smart defender though.

I love FVV, but I think his self confidence is a double edged sword right now. It’s great because he’s a confident player, but he also likely overvalues himself and will demand too much money, which he knows he’ll get from somewhere, if not Toronto.
We the Champs
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,112

Post#44 » by xAIRNESSx » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:09 pm

Yes and he also has very strong leadership characteristics.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,892

Post#45 » by ItsDanger » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:11 pm

At times, he takes it on himself to force shots. He is not that type of player. Need to trust his teammates more.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,171

Post#46 » by execoftheyear » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:40 pm

SirKen wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:
execoftheyear wrote:yes he does especially on the defensive end. The shot selection is because of our lack of scorers and him having to take more shots than he should be taking

I feel like this problem gets magnified when Lowry is sitting on the bench. We have quite a variety of guards on the bench (Norm, Thomas, TD, McCaw) but none of them brought any value as playmakers in the playoffs. :-?

Thomas made plays every time he touched the ball. More than he got opportunities to put up shots. The problem is the team was not finding him when he was available.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Thomas is probably the second best playmaker on the team after Lowry. Go check some of his Euro highlights and how he finds the right play.

finding the right play and being a playmaker isn't necessarily the same thing imo. Thomas is good at not over dribbling and keeping the ball moving, the ball doesn't stick when he gets it.

Being a playmaker is creating opportunities for others and oneself to score when the set plays are unsuccessful, usually at the backend of a shotclock. Thomas is not that. Lowry, Vanvleet, Siakam (good Siakam) and Powell (on occasion) were playmakers. Thomas relies on playmakers to score.
SirKen
Rookie
And1: 1,128

Post#47 » by SirKen » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:22 am

execoftheyear wrote:
SirKen wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:I feel like this problem gets magnified when Lowry is sitting on the bench. We have quite a variety of guards on the bench (Norm, Thomas, TD, McCaw) but none of them brought any value as playmakers in the playoffs. :-?

Thomas made plays every time he touched the ball. More than he got opportunities to put up shots. The problem is the team was not finding him when he was available.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Thomas is probably the second best playmaker on the team after Lowry. Go check some of his Euro highlights and how he finds the right play.

finding the right play and being a playmaker isn't necessarily the same thing imo. Thomas is good at not over dribbling and keeping the ball moving, the ball doesn't stick when he gets it.

Being a playmaker is creating opportunities for others and oneself to score when the set plays are unsuccessful, usually at the backend of a shotclock. Thomas is not that. Lowry, Vanvleet, Siakam (good Siakam) and Powell (on occasion) were playmakers. Thomas relies on playmakers to score.

I think you misunderstood me. I am not talking about him passing the ball in the perimeter. I am talking about him driving in and kicking out or dishing assists. It is just that sample size is small in his time with Raptors so far.
execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,171

Post#48 » by execoftheyear » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:37 am

SirKen wrote:
execoftheyear wrote:
SirKen wrote:

I think you misunderstood me. I am not talking about him passing the ball in the perimeter. I am talking about him driving in and kicking out or dishing assists. It is just that sample size is small in his time with Raptors so far.

I don't think he's a playmaker though. He's good at making good decisions within an offense but he's not someone you give the ball to and ask him to create something out of nothing. Great playmakers can do that once the initial offensive play breaks down and it requires the ability to break down the defender off the dribble. Fred Vanvleet is our second best playmaker. Thomas is nowhere near that, he's just a role player that requires screens to get open.
mathgeek
Junior
And1: 136

Post#49 » by mathgeek » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:08 am

All valid points but this is just recency bias. Remember Kyle Lowry a few years ago....yea the same was said about him. He used to get blocked often and totally forget how to shoot in the playoffs. The difference being that Kyle is more athletic and a dog on defense. Kyle's passing instincts evolved because he would forget how to shoot. Kyle also takes a lot of deep pull up 3s which can be considered bad shots depending on timing.

FVVs value will depend on what hw gets paid. I would give him 20-25 mill and deal with the contract later. It hurts to lose someone of his caliber for nothing. Not to mention it doesn't look good on the franchise.
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#50 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:14 am

Considering I don't trust him running the offence? No, when Lowry is out there, I always know he has the best move in mind when going into a possession. I've yet to feel as confident in Fred as that, maybe he needs a year or two idk, but yet.

I still cringe at the early shot clock counter contested long twos, that no one seems to give him **** for.
Credits to Jstock12
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#51 » by pr0gr4m » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:59 am

The only reason I would re-sign Fred would be for business related reasons. It's a tough area to be in for Ujiri as Fred is a "homegrown" talent. I would say he is the most effective when he's beside Lowry because of his respect for him. We saw something similar happen with Cory Joseph when he played his best seasons as a Raptor.

That being said as Lowry retires I see Fred losing a lot of value. The most optimal outcome for Toronto would be to trade both Lowry and FVV (S&T) this summer for rebuilding pieces, however this is unlikely. Trading one to open a starting role for Powell and seeing if he can take another step would also be the right step.

I think a FVV(S&T) for Hield, Bagley, and their 12th would be a high potential move. The Raptors system would generate a lot more open looks than Hield has seen so far in his career. The Kings' new FO may consider moving on from Fox who isn't a very good shooter.

The Raptors could gain a strong shooter as they struggled to hit open looks in the playoffs. A former 2nd overall pick that could be molded into another Siakam, and the 12th pick that could end up being another strong shooter like Aaron Nesmith.

After the following season I would look to give Davis the starting point guard and re-sign Lowry to be the back up for a culture building and on-floor coaching role, but to also add to our team standard of continuity.

Ibaka(30 million / 1 year)/Hernandez
Siakam/Gallinari (MLE / 1 year)
OG/Nesmith(12th)
Powell/Hield
Lowry/Davis/Terry(29th)
RyderMike
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,799

Post#52 » by RyderMike » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:44 am

High iq
Low height
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,542

Post#53 » by mdenny » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:53 am

The answer is yes.

Yes he does. FVV is the defining raptor prospect.

Ppl wanna forget what he did against the bucks and the warriors.

Lololol at those fools. Fred's chip performance is among the best ever in Toronto sports history. Against the bucks and the warriors.

Ain't nobody can even imagine something like that. Herro had a couple good games in his rookie season. Fred did it in his third season.

Name ONE nba player to do that against the bucks and the warriors during their third season.

NAME ONE.

There's a reason why the scream had to be primal.
alpha
Starter
And1: 179

Post#54 » by alpha » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:23 pm

Young_Buc wrote:He can't see the floor like Lowry and finishes in the bottom of the nba at the rim. Great shooter especially off the catch. But no lead guard.

And therein lies the problem. He's a gnat amongst the trees and when he gets in the lane, can't see over anyone to get a pass off. The fact that he does the same thing over and over and keeps getting squashed shows no bball IQ and that Nurse only punishes those he dislikes (Davis)
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,542

Post#55 » by mdenny » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:33 pm

alpha wrote:
Young_Buc wrote:He can't see the floor like Lowry and finishes in the bottom of the nba at the rim. Great shooter especially off the catch. But no lead guard.

And therein lies the problem. He's a gnat amongst the trees and when he gets in the lane, can't see over anyone to get a pass off. The fact that he does the same thing over and over and keeps getting squashed shows no bball IQ and that Nurse only punishes those he dislikes (Davis)

"Keeps getting squashed"

Have you bothered to observe the rate of possession change on those squashes?
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,658

Post#56 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:37 pm

You should be questioning your own BB knowledge before you ask if FVV has a high BBIQ or assume he doesn't.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,531

Post#57 » by WaltFrazier » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:49 pm

Every game thread I and a few others wail about his lack of passing on the fast break. He did it early last night, 3 man break, drove middle himself into the trees and got blocked. And the ball went the other way. Any time there's a steal or quick outlet I hope the ball goes to someone else, and Fred runs the wing without the ball, because then there's a chance of a nice pass being made. Yet he's a point guard, he should have the right instincts on the break. He should be able to run an offence better, get other guys shots, make other players better. He simply does not have that knack.

He has a lot of great attributes, I don't need to list them here.

It's not fair to compare him with CP, but we saw last night what a real floor general does, distributing the ball, getting guys in the right places, getting shots for Ayton and others not just for Booker.

There's a certain instinct for playmaking, seeing open guys and getting the ball to them. A kid like Lamelo comes in the league and has that day 1. Magic had that, J Kidd, many others. Fred will never have it, it's a skill you're born with. If we could ever get a really good playmaking pg, like Lonzo, that would be the perfect partner for Fred. But if we had no Kyle and still had Norm, we would really be missing that playmaking extra dimension.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,573

Post#58 » by bluerap23 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:11 pm

His IQ is the main reason he is in the NBA. This board is at an all time low with these takes.
ThatClockWork
Veteran
And1: 1,856

Post#59 » by ThatClockWork » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:14 pm

We've seen him do it, he just hasn't been consistent with it yet. maybe that is because Lowry is around and he doesn't always have to play that way.

You'll probably see more Fred on-ball making those decisions down the stretch and into next season.
I'm not betting against him again lol.
Barack Obama wrote:You can’t lose heart, or grow cynical if there are twists and turns on your journey. The cynics may be the loudest voices — but I promise you, they will accomplish the least.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,432

Post#60 » by mtcan » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:20 pm

High basketball IQ...yes. Role definition is an issue when you have Kyle as the other backcourt player. I think Fred tends to take the offence in his own hands when he has another distributor with him.

He's played well when Kyle was out because his role was more defined.

Return to Toronto Raptors