ImageImageImageImageImage

Does Fvv have a high basketball IQ ?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

visionquest
Starter
And1: 2,379

Re: Does Fvv have a high basketball IQ ? 

Post#61 » by visionquest » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:31 pm

High IQ. When he sees the inferior options on the floor, he shoots it himself. :lol:
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,749

Post#62 » by VanWest82 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:32 pm

His kamikaze drives into the paint sometimes feel like Westbrook-MR-shot-level bbiq. But he's currently 9th in the league in RAPTOR. He's way up there in a bunch of the advanced plus/minus stats. Fred needs to improve his decision making on offense, and we need to find him a big man to play with, but mostly he's just a really good two way player with great defensive instincts.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#63 » by agkagk » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:38 pm

He’s 6 feet tall and succeeding as a ball handler in the nba.

By definition his ball iq has to be at least above average.

I have to assume this thread is full of teenagers, why do I post.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#64 » by Danny1616 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:42 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:Every game thread I and a few others wail about his lack of passing on the fast break. He did it early last night, 3 man break, drove middle himself into the trees and got blocked. And the ball went the other way. Any time there's a steal or quick outlet I hope the ball goes to someone else, and Fred runs the wing without the ball, because then there's a chance of a nice pass being made. Yet he's a point guard, he should have the right instincts on the break. He should be able to run an offence better, get other guys shots, make other players better. He simply does not have that knack.

He has a lot of great attributes, I don't need to list them here.

It's not fair to compare him with CP, but we saw last night what a real floor general does, distributing the ball, getting guys in the right places, getting shots for Ayton and others not just for Booker.

There's a certain instinct for playmaking, seeing open guys and getting the ball to them. A kid like Lamelo comes in the league and has that day 1. Magic had that, J Kidd, many others. Fred will never have it, it's a skill you're born with. If we could ever get a really good playmaking pg, like Lonzo, that would be the perfect partner for Fred. But if we had no Kyle and still had Norm, we would really be missing that playmaking extra dimension.

I agree with most of this, but I think you have to factor in the fact that he's been sharing PG duties with Kyle with a smurf backcourt and he's still relatively young. I think he actually plays better and runs the team well when Kyle has been out.

Guys like Demar came into the league without being good passers, but studied the guy enough to become pretty good facilitators.

I hope that Fred could emerge as a Tony Parker type guy. He's not going to be a great passer ever, but he could become competent enough to run a team well.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,785
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#65 » by Boogie! » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:45 pm

C_Money wrote:Not when he’s running the offence.

Watch someone like Chris paul operate at this stage in his career and compare that to fvv. He plays to his strengths, he doesn't waste drubbles, he always makes the right pass he takes his shots within the flow of the offense and he doesn't force anything.

Offensively he's the opposite of what fvv is. If fvv ever wants to take it to the next level he needs to do one of two things... Both would be ideal but either or would make him a justifiable long term pg... Either

1 he needs to become an elite efficiency scorer. At leatt 45%+ fronm the field overall, 40%+ from 3 and get to the line more. This will make up for his lack of pg skills.

Or

2 Learn to play under control. Stop forcing his game, always pass to t he open man, improve his vision.

Considering he's already 27, hes already pretty much a fully developed prospect, his pg skills are what they are. He's just average, so I don't expect this to improve over time. Natural playmakers hvve that abilitt coming into the league. That being said, sometimes I can't differentiate between W he ther or not he chooses to be selfish, or he really can't see the obvious open man... But because he keeps making the same decisions over and over I'm assuming it's because ee just can't identify the right basketball decision in real time.

The onlt real hope is he improves his efficiency... Considering his lack of size, explosiveness and athleticism, i doubt he will ever become great at finishing at the rim. It also hinders his ability to create good shots for himself. He could develop and elite pnr mid range game, where he just hits the elbow jumper off t he screen. Also His open 3 point shot could improve to elite numbers, but again, he has to he stephen curry, dame Lillard like from there to make up for his LAck of efficiency in general.

But yeah, he's not a true pg, he's basically an undersized 3 and d combo guard... Only hope for him is to become super efficient as a scorer which I don't foresee happening. Changing his role in the system might help as well, but again I dont see that happening with nurse here.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Reverend X
Freshman
And1: 103

Post#66 » by Reverend X » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:21 pm

Nah, Fred has very average IQ for a point guard. I’d say no more than Malcolm brogdon. Maybe even Jeff Teague level IQ.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,585

Post#67 » by Syd-TK3 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:24 pm

Defensively his IQ is damn near elite
Even on offense it's good he just likes to call his own number far too much
Oakvillehoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,033

Post#68 » by Oakvillehoops » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:37 pm

Fred has Elite basketball IQ, except when he forgets he’s 6’1.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,417

Post#69 » by Tha Cynic » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:38 pm

Basically, if I see him with the ball in his hands for more than 2 or 3 seconds, I start cringing. I really hope he gets trade when this team finally decides to improve.
Kobe Bryant: “You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,785
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#70 » by Boogie! » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:50 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:Basically, if I see him with the ball in his hands for more than 2 or 3 seconds, I start cringing. I really hope he gets trade when this team finally decides to improve.

Its really perplexing to me how they wanted to go all in on fvv, but when norm shows a marked improvement they say Tata not worth it. Again I feel like in an alternate reality this all would've played out different and Norm would've been an all-star by now.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,818

Post#71 » by junot111 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:52 pm

Lol if you compare him with Chris Paul who is one of the greatest PGs of all time, then of course he doesn't seem that smart. You could say that about 80% of the starting PGs in the league.

He has shortcomings on offense but his defensive instincts are still elite.

He just doesn't have the natural court vision that other great floor generals have, and doesn't have the athleticism and finishing ability to shoot more efficiently. But his attacking style is necessary to draw defensive attention given the lack of shot creators on this team.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#72 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:17 am

Fred already playing for 1) his stats, 2) making allstar, 3) his next contract

None of these involve making his teammates better...
pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,249

Post#73 » by pingpongrac » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:38 am

Better question: does this board have a high basketball IQ?
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#74 » by agkagk » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:14 am

Kingsway_fan wrote:Fred already playing for 1) his stats, 2) making allstar, 3) his next contract

None of these involve making his teammates better...

Does this poster have a high basketball i.q?

Decisively no.

Thanks me.

Personal Attack. Warned.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,889

Post#75 » by LoveMyRaps » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:23 am

High defensive IQ.
Average offensive IQ.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Steven1562
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,180

Post#76 » by Steven1562 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:29 am

He needs to stop driving into 3 defenders in transition. I get it you want to be aggressive in transition but most of the time it results in a turnover the other way. He need to slow his ass down. He's not John Wall going coast to coast.
Any time y'all wanna see me again
Rewind this track right here, close your eyes
and picture me rollin

Scottie Barnes Believer.
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,369

Post#77 » by TD2FutureStar » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:32 am

He's high IQ, but suffers from little man syndrome. He likes to drive amongst the trees to show that he's a big boy, but all that happens is he gets swatted
Is take Powells elite efficiency over Fred's defense and 3pt bombs any day. Oops
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#78 » by pr0gr4m » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:38 am

TD2FutureStar wrote:He's high IQ, but suffers from little man syndrome. He likes to drive amongst the trees to show that he's a big boy, but all that happens is he gets swatted
Is take Powells elite efficiency over Fred's defense and 3pt bombs any day. Oops

Fred is levels above Norm on defense. There is a reason why Norm was the 11th man on the championship team and Fred wasn't
TD2FutureStar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,369

Post#79 » by TD2FutureStar » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:48 am

pr0gr4m wrote:
TD2FutureStar wrote:He's high IQ, but suffers from little man syndrome. He likes to drive amongst the trees to show that he's a big boy, but all that happens is he gets swatted

Fred is levels above Norm on defense. There is a reason why Norm was the 11th man on the championship team and Fred wasn't

Yeah its because Powell hadn't broken out as a player til this year. Last year he started trending the right way and then he just exploded this yr. Keep trying to discredit him tho and myself I find it entertaining.
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#80 » by pr0gr4m » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:55 am

TD2FutureStar wrote:
pr0gr4m wrote:

Yeah its because Powell hadn't broken out as a player til this year. Last year he started trending the right way and then he just exploded this yr. Keep trying to discredit him tho and myself I find it entertaining.

The problem has always been defense with him. He hasn't been a different player before and now.

Return to Toronto Raptors