ImageImageImageImageImage

Kawhi didn't believe Toronto would repeat

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,748

Re: Kawhi didn't believe Toronto would repeat 

Post#281 » by Badonkadonk » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:02 am

Rust_Cohle wrote:
Chandan wrote:that's just him being really unappreciative to his support cast last year. They were all smart, savvy resilient hard working group despite not being the most talented. I think Kawhi under estimated how much it actually takes to win the championship. He had Duncan and Manu before. He doesn't realize Lowry and Serges took on the leadership role, and clawed their way to the finishing line with grunt work while kawhi himself was load managing.

Lowry kind of stuck it into his face this year when the raptors actually have a much more successful season than Kawhis new team. Kawhi left something he took for granted and his new ensemble lacks the character to drag him to the finals. Good job raptors. It's these mini story lines that make the team endearing to us.

Not sure how can say the raps were “much more successful” when both teams went 7 games in the second round, clippers were 2-0 vs the raps this year, and nuggets right now are looking tougher than the Celtics.

Some of these comments are bizarre Acting like the raps won the championship while Kawhi failed to make the playoffs.

Nah, they're acting like Kawhi thought he was building a super-team and he underestimated what he had in Toronto. He also overestimated how much he could influence singlehandedly.

Big difference.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,519

Post#282 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:11 am

I can totally understand what Kawhi thought. Yes we won but he had to carry so much in the playoff run. I can see why he thought he needed a star partner going forward. He misjudged how good PG is in the clutch, and Doc is not a great coach. But I still see his logic.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,519

Post#283 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:17 am

MixxSRC wrote:Raptors would actually be better because we had healthy OG on a team. If Pascal struggles. Line up of OG and Kawhi would be on floor. Domino effect and whole squad is performing better. line up of Lowry-OG-Kawhi-Siakam-Ibaka or Gasol would give fits to anybody in the east

True, OG and Kawhi would be a lethal defensive combo. Pascal could have played less, had less pressure, and played better defense.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Rust_Cohle
Starter
And1: 2,222

Post#284 » by Rust_Cohle » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:30 am

WaltFrazier wrote:I can totally understand what Kawhi thought. Yes we won but he had to carry so much in the playoff run. I can see why he thought he needed a star partner going forward. He misjudged how good PG is in the clutch, and Doc is not a great coach. But I still see his logic.

100%
maternal85
Starter
And1: 1,736

Post#285 » by maternal85 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:08 am

WaltFrazier wrote:I can totally understand what Kawhi thought. Yes we won but he had to carry so much in the playoff run. I can see why he thought he needed a star partner going forward. He misjudged how good PG is in the clutch, and Doc is not a great coach. But I still see his logic.

We carried him as much as he carried us. As great as he is, KL2 believed his own hype and thought he could easily duplicate what he did in Toronto in LA. Reality has hit him hard.
KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,435

Post#286 » by KrazyP » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:39 am

Rust_Cohle wrote:
KrazyP wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:

Come playoff time all those players regressed. Check out their stats for the Boston series. All of them had better playoff performances last year. Hardly any raptors stepped up in that Boston series

And yet they still took them to the last minute of game 7. What does that tell you? Add Kawhi to a 60-win, 2nd round playoff team and they are instant championship favourites.

Again, Raps lost Kawhi for nothing and were still good.

If you stripped Jokic, Tatum, Butler and Lebron off the conference finalists, would they win 60 games and go 7 games in the 2nd round? What does that tell you about the Raps supporting cast?

With the way the ecf has gone so far it’s telling me
The Celtics weren’t that good either

Game 1 - OT.
Game 2 - decided by 5 pts and went down to the final minute.
Game 3 - Celtics just won.

WTF are you talking about?

If you stripped Jokic, Tatum, Butler and Lebron off the conference finalists, would they win 60 games and go 7 games in the 2nd round? What does that tell you about the Raps supporting cast?

Kawhi misjudged the Raptors supporting cast much in the same way fans like you misjudge it.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,108

Post#287 » by Chandan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:12 am

Rust_Cohle wrote:
Chandan wrote:that's just him being really unappreciative to his support cast last year. They were all smart, savvy resilient hard working group despite not being the most talented. I think Kawhi under estimated how much it actually takes to win the championship. He had Duncan and Manu before. He doesn't realize Lowry and Serges took on the leadership role, and clawed their way to the finishing line with grunt work while kawhi himself was load managing.

Lowry kind of stuck it into his face this year when the raptors actually have a much more successful season than Kawhis new team. Kawhi left something he took for granted and his new ensemble lacks the character to drag him to the finals. Good job raptors. It's these mini story lines that make the team endearing to us.

Not sure how can say the raps were “much more successful” when both teams went 7 games in the second round, clippers were 2-0 vs the raps this year, and nuggets right now are looking tougher than the Celtics.

Some of these comments are bizarre Acting like the raps won the championship while Kawhi failed to make the playoffs.

lower expectations, better record, had a much better playoff series, this year doesn't destroy future year prospect, NOT being the laughing stock of the NBA. Yea you are the only one who doesn't consider raptors to have a much more successful season than clippers.

Kawhi might as well have stayed out of the bubble, losing in 2nd round :lol: :lol:
tosi
Assistant Coach
And1: 504

Post#288 » by tosi » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:22 am

DelAbbot wrote:If clippers don't win championship next year, kawhi will leave for sure considering their lack of assets to improve their roster.

When that happens, Kawhi will have piissed off three fanbases (SAS, TOR, LAC).

Good luck next year with the GSW Healthy Again and 2nd pick in hand.
fart wrote:I agree. get over it people. MJ is ridicoulsly overrated that people have developed this perception that no one can challenge him for GOAT.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,108

Post#289 » by Chandan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:53 am

tosi wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:If clippers don't win championship next year, kawhi will leave for sure considering their lack of assets to improve their roster.

When that happens, Kawhi will have piissed off three fanbases (SAS, TOR, LAC).

Good luck next year with the GSW Healthy Again and 2nd pick in hand.

If KD comes back only slightly worse, the nets would make it more interesting.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,524

Post#290 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:28 pm

I think us Raptor fans make the mistake of taking Kawhi's departure personally. He wanted to go to LA at all costs. He turned down a max from the Spurs as well because he wanted to return home. He used his leverage to force the Clippers to get him more support. If the Clippers failed to do so, I bet his next option would have been the Lakers.

Even if the Clippers fail next season I'm certain Kawhi will resign due to his desire to live at home.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,067

Post#291 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:16 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:I think us Raptor fans make the mistake of taking Kawhi's departure personally. He wanted to go to LA at all costs. He turned down a max from the Spurs as well because he wanted to return home. He used his leverage to force the Clippers to get him more support. If the Clippers failed to do so, I bet his next option would have been the Lakers.

Even if the Clippers fail next season I'm certain Kawhi will resign due to his desire to live at home.

Actually, Kawhi didn't turn down a max offer from the Spurs. They wanted to see him play first that season before they made the offer. That's what pissed him off.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#292 » by Kevin Willis » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:22 pm

maternal85 wrote:

We carried him as much as he carried us. As great as he is, KL2 believed his own hype and thought he could easily duplicate what he did in Toronto in LA. Reality has hit him hard.

I also understand Kawhi's logic but you are right, it was a symbiotic relationship. We didn't really 'need' Kawhi to win games but we needed him to win a championship. Kawhi also needed a team like ours with the excellent medical staff and the ability to do load management and a bunch of dogs.

Kawhi thought you need superstars to win a championship and usually you do. This year the landscape changed with key injuries to superstars in both leagues to the point you don't need multiple superstars to go far. His logic was right but it would have worked out better if he stayed in Toronto another year. At the time he wouldn't have known that though. Next year when KD, Irving, Curry, Thompson, Simmons, etc. come back it will be different.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#293 » by MixxSRC » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:36 pm

Read on Twitter

:lol:
maternal85
Starter
And1: 1,736

Post#294 » by maternal85 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:19 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
maternal85 wrote:

I also understand Kawhi's logic but you are right, it was a symbiotic relationship. We didn't really 'need' Kawhi to win games but we needed him to win a championship. Kawhi also needed a team like ours with the excellent medical staff and the ability to do load management and a bunch of dogs.

Kawhi thought you need superstars to win a championship and usually you do. This year the landscape changed with key injuries to superstars in both leagues to the point you don't need multiple superstars to go far. His logic was right but it would have worked out better if he stayed in Toronto another year. At the time he wouldn't have known that though. Next year when KD, Irving, Curry, Thompson, Simmons, etc. come back it will be different.

I feel those players will be having injuries on a regular basis going forward.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,801

Post#295 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:26 pm

MixxSRC wrote:
Read on Twitter

:lol:

That would help their IQ problem quite a bit but is that source even legit? Lol
agentzero2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,686

Post#296 » by agentzero2010 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:30 pm

Kawhi also believed trading away SGA, Gallinari, and 5 first round picks for PG 13% would help him win a title. not exactly a good talent evaluator.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,075

Post#297 » by Westside Gunn » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:53 pm

agentzero2010 wrote:Kawhi also believed trading away SGA, Gallinari, and 5 first round picks for PG 13% would help him win a title. not exactly a good talent evaluator.

i think that was uncle dennis' work.

clubs need to grow some balls and kick off family members from team affairs
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
Rust_Cohle
Starter
And1: 2,222

Post#298 » by Rust_Cohle » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:08 am

KrazyP wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
KrazyP wrote:
And yet they still took them to the last minute of game 7. What does that tell you? Add Kawhi to a 60-win, 2nd round playoff team and they are instant championship favourites.

Game 1 - OT.

Kawhi misjudged the Raptors supporting cast much in the same way fans like you misjudge it.

He wanted to leave for LA, had nothing to do with the supporting cast. He had been wanting to go home for years now.

Raps were not good in the playoffs, period
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#299 » by jimmy keys » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:09 am

Westside Gunn wrote:
agentzero2010 wrote:Kawhi also believed trading away SGA, Gallinari, and 5 first round picks for PG 13% would help him win a title. not exactly a good talent evaluator.

i think that was uncle dennis' work.

clubs need to grow some balls and kick off family members from team affairs

yeah it was an act of desperation. they were more afraid of him going to the Lakers than returning to the Raptors. I agree though, no one in life should act out of desperation. they wanted him so bad they ignored common sense. Masai knew it was a waste of time to engage in this sort of thing. he wasn't about to be played like that. ironically the Clippers could've called his bluff and I'm 99% sure he still signs there regardless with or without PG13. simply put they got played which is what I said at the time. it's even more apparent now. i'll laugh if he walks next summer and he just might because he's completely emotionally detached. he'll do what's best for him as he should.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#300 » by jimmy keys » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:11 am

Rust_Cohle wrote:
KrazyP wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:

Game 1 - OT.

He wanted to leave for LA, had nothing to do with the supporting cast. He had been wanting to go home for years now.

Raps were not good in the playoffs, period

every time my team wins the chip I think they were not good in the playoffs. :lol:

Return to Toronto Raptors