ImageImageImageImageImage

Doc Rivers: I'm the coach, and I'll take any blame for it.

Moderators: Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, niQ, Rhettmatic, Patman, pbj, Alfred

JN
RealGM
And1: 4,713

Re: Doc Rivers: I'm the coach, and I'll take any blame for it. 

Post#21 » by JN » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:53 pm

Whether the coached well or not, he is the fall guy,

The Clippers have no cap flexibility, no draft picks to trade, and are forced to heavily overpay to keep Harrell -- the only change they can do is fire Rivers and basically come back with the same group and try again.

Or maybe Kawhi the GM could ask them to try to trade for Westbrook again.
Harcore Fenton Mun
Head Coach
And1: 3,974

Post#22 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:10 pm

I can't remember who said it, it was quite a while ago. But, apparently they only had something like five practices all year.

He's a bit of a joke as a head coach.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 25,817

Post#23 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:29 pm

Take any blame? Ok, then don't be surprised when they fire you.
StopitLeo
General Manager
And1: 4,857

Post#24 » by StopitLeo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:02 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:I can't remember who said it, it was quite a while ago. But, apparently they only had something like five practices all year.

He's a bit of a joke as a head coach.

I don't know if it was 5, but Doc Rivers has a history of not holding many practices essentially for "load management". There were stories this year about guys on the Clippers thinking they didn't practice hard enough or take things seriously. Harrell was often vocal about things - the feeling in the locker room, attitude, etc. There were also stories about players resenting what they thought was special treatment that Kawhi and Paul George were getting.

If you recall, NOTHING came out of the Raptors locker room last year.
mdenny
Senior
And1: 640

Post#25 » by mdenny » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:32 am

Here's what I can't understand:

The opposing star player has a unique skill set in which passing is by far his best attribute. Why would you relentlessly double team him? Essentially forcing him to do what he does best with an open man somewhere on the court.

I thought double teams were most effective on star players who had a weakness in passing. The whole point of designed coverages is to deny a player to do what he does best. Doc's strategy FORCED jokic to do what he does best.

Anyone else think this?
maternal85
Rookie
And1: 905

Post#26 » by maternal85 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:07 am

mdenny wrote:Here's what I can't understand:

The opposing star player has a unique skill set in which passing is by far his best attribute. Why would you relentlessly double team him? Essentially forcing him to do what he does best with an open man somewhere on the court.

I thought double teams were most effective on star players who had a weakness in passing. The whole point of designed coverages is to deny a player to do what he does best. Doc's strategy FORCED jokic to do what he does best.

Anyone else think this?

Jokic had a size advantage and would have destroyed anyone who was guarding him 1 on 1. Coaches double team when they have too. No sane coach would give a good player their bread and butter.
maternal85
Rookie
And1: 905

Post#27 » by maternal85 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:10 am

JN wrote:Whether the coached well or not, he is the fall guy,

The Clippers have no cap flexibility, no draft picks to trade, and are forced to heavily overpay to keep Harrell -- the only change they can do is fire Rivers and basically come back with the same group and try again.

Or maybe Kawhi the GM could ask them to try to trade for Westbrook again.

KL2 and pg are getting older and their injuries are getting worse. It's crazy to think their future was better before they signed KL2, and especially when they traded for PG. And if KL2 leaves without winning a title. Oh boy. This is why a player should never be above the franchise.

Return to Toronto Raptors