ImageImageImageImageImage

Rumour: Gasol Considering Return to Europe

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,266

Re: Rumour: Gasol Considering Return to Europe 

Post#81 » by ruckus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:54 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
ruckus wrote:As much as I like Serge's personality, I'd rather have Gasol back next year over Ibaka. If we lose both guys, I don't know who we'd use to fill the C spot. Boucher isn't ready for starter minutes and Hernandez barely got playing time with the 905 due to injury. And I don't find any of the free agent big men all that appealing. Tristan on a MLE? Meyers Leonard? Bertans would be interesting but hes not really a C. I don't know what Baynes would command.

I think we should make Serge the priority off season signing. We can easily draft another centre this draft (Nnaji) and have Paskal chip in with small ball 5. Boucher can back Paskal at the 4. We should always strive for continuity.

I know Gasol can't move like he used to but his defense is night and day vs Ibaka. His positioning, his reads and his callouts more than make up for whatever athleticism that hes lost. I think finding a big man with that kind of bbiq will be difficult to replace.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,333

Post#82 » by Mikistan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:59 pm

GO BE WITH YOUR FAMILY MARC THANKS FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP AND MEMORIES

JONAS DIED FOR THIS
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Re: Rumour: Gasol Considering Return to Barcelona 

Post#83 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:20 pm

Psubs wrote:This is good PR wise rather than low-balling him and his signing elsewhere.

It would be fun for both brothers to play with a Euroleague team. Less games and maybe Pau only has to play 12-16 mpg.

It's more games. Spanish EuroLeague teams play 85-90 games during the season.

Psubs wrote:Another factor would be the delayed Olympics. The Euroleague season is shorter and I figure since many countries involved it all of the European leagues would finish before the Olympics. I would think Marc would like 1 more shot to represent Spain.

The big national leagues in Europe all end in late June. So it's actually a longer season. Pretty much all EuroLeague teams are playing official games from October to late June. They start playing practice games even as early as August. With that being said, it would be a better fit for this upcoming Olympics, since the covid situation is going to drastically change when the NBA season starts and ends. So for this upcoming Olympics that makes sense.

But the EuroLeague teams have a longer season, not a shorter one.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,537

Post#84 » by C_Money » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:25 pm

Lol he knows damn well nobody is going to sign him after that abysmal performance in the playoffs.
canz55
Sixth Man
And1: 2,024

Post#85 » by canz55 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:37 am

I'm one of the few people who want him back.

I'd love for him to sign the MLE on a two year.

As bad as he was against Boston he's a veteran leader in the lockeroom and an excellent defender - these are such undervalued and overlooked commodities in the NBA.
ImageWe the Champs...
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,254

Post#86 » by SurgeIblocka » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:08 am

Gasol can still lock down Embiid and Vucevic he has his uses but not as a starter as Nurse played him this playoffs.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,171

Post#87 » by mowcrowbar » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:25 am

Probably still the best post defender and second best passing big man in the league. Will be missed if he leaves the NBA.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#88 » by Metallikid » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:46 am

I'd still have him back for cheap if he wanted to be here.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,311

Post#89 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:40 am

Gasol is still a good player in this league and I'd love him back for cheap. We won't find better value than what we can get for him.

Nurse screwed up by not realizing the Celtics were just a bad matchup for him. Instead of helping Gasol by utilizing Ibaka more and saving Gasol for another matchup, he hung him out to dry.
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,850

Post#90 » by VancouverRaps » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:46 am

Agree with the posts above, I’d take him back on a reasonable deal and use him as a matchup Center as long as he’s cool with a limited role on some nights against smaller teams.
We the Champs
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,813

Post#91 » by junot111 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:34 am

Was hoping he'd come back on a friendly deal and retire here.

He's definitely not done by any means and would still be a valuable contributor on any team.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Post#92 » by Scott Hall » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:59 am

Who wouldn't take him back on a cheap friendly deal?

But it's most likely gonna be his last contract and he's used to making big money so it's unlikely he
would settle for a cheap contract especially when he already won a championship.

He might want a few guaranteed years as well and I'm not willing to give him that with his rapid regression
it's just a matter of time before he starts rapidly declining defensively as well.

I'm not mad at him at all if he turns down a one year team friendly deal. If he goes back to Europe it's
most likely because they offered him more money then any NBA team or it was some crap team.
Green Backpack
Head Coach
And1: 3,280

Post#93 » by Green Backpack » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:14 am

It will be tough next season if Gasol and Ibaka are both gone. While Gasol was horrible for many stretches, he's still a nice matchup player. Embiid and Vuc will be back to haunt us
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#94 » by God Squad » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:41 am

C_Money wrote:Lol he knows damn well nobody is going to sign him after that abysmal performance in the playoffs.

Willing to bet he'll get multiple offers. All around the MLE though.
v1n5anity
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,057

Post#95 » by v1n5anity » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:03 pm

I'd rather him go to Europe than for another NBA team to get him. If he were to stay in the NBA, I don't mind giving him a 1 year vet minimum :D
libertyYYZ
Pro Prospect
And1: 754

Post#96 » by libertyYYZ » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:10 pm

will wrote:Point God Marc still an NBA rotation player. Can't play him extended minutes, but for 20 minutes a game, he can still do well with the right squad.

In the regular season only as Marc kinda fell off in the playoffs this season. A full-season roster needs some extra bigs to make it through injuries and droughts. So, if Marc was willing to run it back as occasional second stringer to mentor Dewan or a new big, it might work, but not a lot in it for Marc.

We have 3 bigs coming off contract - Ibaka, Gasol and Boucher. I doubt Boucher is re-signed. Raps might consider Marc for the right price and role. Serge is probably going to be offered a short-term contract and get the first-stringer role.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships." -- Michael Jordan
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,859

Post#97 » by Kingsway_fan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:12 pm

Best for him and for raptors...
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#98 » by will » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:32 pm

libertyYYZ wrote:
will wrote:Point God Marc still an NBA rotation player. Can't play him extended minutes, but for 20 minutes a game, he can still do well with the right squad.

In the regular season only as Marc kinda fell off in the playoffs this season. A full-season roster needs some extra bigs to make it through injuries and droughts. So, if Marc was willing to run it back as occasional second stringer to mentor Dewan or a new big, it might work, but not a lot in it for Marc.

We have 3 bigs coming off contract - Ibaka, Gasol and Boucher. I doubt Boucher is re-signed. Raps might consider Marc for the right price and role. Serge is probably going to be offered a short-term contract and get the first-stringer role.

I believe Power Surge gets an offer. Doubtful Point God Marc and Father BooShay receive offers.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,830

Post#99 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:52 pm

will wrote:
libertyYYZ wrote:

I believe Power Surge gets an offer. Doubtful Point God Marc and Father BooShay receive offers.

Offers to FVV, Serge, Boucher. Book it.
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#100 » by Yeezus_ » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:21 pm

Bring him back on a 2 year deal, team option on the 2nd year.
Yeezy SZN approaching

Return to Toronto Raptors