ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread

Moderators: Patman, pbj, Alfred, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Rhettmatic, niQ

markR
Ballboy
Posts: 39
And1: 15
Joined: Oct 25, 2019

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1301 » by markR » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:38 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
gei wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:
Sorry I am not buying whatever you're selling. I have seen documentaries dealing with the long term effects of this disease. I understand the varied complications arising from it. I do not idly believe propogandists who say this is an old person's disease when I know of people in their 20's who get it.

I do know that some people deserve to get it to fully understand how it can disrupt their lives. To develop an empathy towards others who might be immunocompromised. To think of more than themselves.

Don't reply to my covid posts anymore. You're wasting my time and I don't want to answer it. I can show you science from papers and doctors but it's useless for people like yourself. Maybe you also deserve to get it.


Jesus.. it is not "propaganda" to say that it primarily affects old people - this is backed up by data and accepted by every medical community in the world. The people at real risk are the elderly - particularly those with underlying health conditions. There is no arguing this fact, and if you think otherwise then you have been watching too much news, and not looking at enough data.

Rounded to one decimal point, people between the ages of 0 and 39 make up 0.0% of total COVID fatalities in Canada.


I am not trying to converse with you guys anymore - I just wanted to post facts about Australia. See these posts are very frustrating giving the climate right now. The question is not in the indisputable, the question is in it's translation and the conclusions derived from it and in that I whole heartedly disagree with those that believe it cannot impact them. I was discussing underlying health conditions 6 months ago, I am not going back in time to review this old information.

My concern is more on a DNA level and the fact cyto storms are still a prevailing issue. I am also more concerned on the ability of our T and B cells to properly develop receptors to latch on to the virus. There is also a strain in Brazil that is of concern because it is avoiding the immuse system defenses. Nobody is arguing about the elderly getting sick at this point. I am also looking at the numbers and statistically realize we're **** unless we can work together. It's not happening though and I don't know what else will take for peopel to understand. I will go back and delete my posts. This thread saddens me because I can see where we are heading and some of you guys can't.


And yet you continue. We are not in this together my friend. Never have been. I look out for my family and that's it. I'll be fine. I've saved and could retire if I want. But tell that to people who are in economic ruin. You going to give some of your paycheck to help them out?

Our government had 8 months to figure out how to keep it out of LTC. They failed again. And people will die. I'll take my chances and make my own decisions based on what I've read.

I'll pass on anything that you post. Thanks and enjoy. I'm sure you will be unable to resist the overwhelming feeling to convince people otherwise.
User avatar
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
Posts: 11,381
And1: 7,835
Joined: Nov 16, 2006

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1302 » by Yosemite Dan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:45 pm

It’s jarring how many people on here lack any critical thinking about the sledgammer approach being used worldwide by govts so they can avoid social media backlash and the Twitter Mob. Which is the primary reason govts are destroying people’s livelihoods they have spent years pouring thier heart and souls into. It’s tragic and the way that some of you here are dismissing that is disgusting. And all because of the govts refusal to properly enforce daily testing and quarantines for the ones who are the most in danger. That would be a lot cheaper to what they’re doing now. But what are they doing now? Weekly testing of workers and restricted access for nursing home workers. And that’s from yesterday. Before that there was no testing and visitors had more access.

You protect the vulnerable. Quarantine all nursing homes and test daily all nursing home and hospital workers and let everyone else got on with thier lives economically before thier lives are totally destroyed and will take years to recover from and will be responsible for many more health issues in the long run. If you feel threatened by this then stay home and buy everything online and you’re safe in your little bubble. Let everyone else live thier lives. The govt has provided financial aid if you chose this path. And hospitals will not be overwhelmed anymore than a bad flu year which we have survived for decades. Unless you can give me examples where in the US or Canada people have been left to die in overwhelmed hospitals. And not CNN type proof with a quote from an unnamed doctor at some backwater hospitals that they refuse to name.
BigBoss23
Junior
Posts: 400
And1: 480
Joined: May 11, 2020

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1303 » by BigBoss23 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:47 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
BigBoss23 wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:
Some peope deserve to get covid. You are one.


And theres a 99.86% survival rate across all ages. Median age of death 83. Good luck.

People are so full of fear when the stats paint a much less hysterial picture much closer to common influenza which magically became much lower this season.


Sorry I am not buying whatever you're selling. I have seen documentaries dealing with the long term effects of this disease. I understand the varied complications arising from it. I do not idly believe propogandists who say this is an old person's disease when I know of people in their 20's who get it.

I do know that some people deserve to get it to fully understand how it can disrupt their lives. To develop an empathy towards others who might be immunocompromised. To think of more than themselves.

Don't reply to my covid posts anymore. You're wasting my time and I don't want to answer it. I can show you science from papers and doctors but it's useless for people like yourself. Maybe you also deserve to get it.


Dont let the facts hit you on the way out.

Il comment on whatever the **** I want as long as the sheep keep fear mongering.
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
Posts: 10,964
And1: 3,102
Joined: Apr 24, 2003

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1304 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:14 pm

Yosemite Dan wrote:You protect the vulnerable. Quarantine all nursing homes and test daily all nursing home and hospital workers and let everyone else got on with thier lives economically before thier lives are totally destroyed and will take years to recover from and will be responsible for many more health issues in the long run. If you feel threatened by this then stay home and buy everything online and you’re safe in your little bubble. Let everyone else live thier lives. The govt has provided financial aid if you chose this path. And hospitals will not be overwhelmed anymore than a bad flu year which we have survived for decades. Unless you can give me examples where in the US or Canada people have been left to die in overwhelmed hospitals. And not CNN type proof with a quote from an unnamed doctor at some backwater hospitals that they refuse to name.


Great, so LTC workers, who live within a community rampant with Covid then also get Covid and can no longer do their job for at minimum 2 weeks. If 50% of the staff have it, what then? Who takes care of the residents?

The dumb, the dense and the ignorant on this forum continue to just babble on about things they understand absolutely nothing about.
markR
Ballboy
Posts: 39
And1: 15
Joined: Oct 25, 2019

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1305 » by markR » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:29 pm

Local_NG_Idiot wrote:
Yosemite Dan wrote:You protect the vulnerable. Quarantine all nursing homes and test daily all nursing home and hospital workers and let everyone else got on with thier lives economically before thier lives are totally destroyed and will take years to recover from and will be responsible for many more health issues in the long run. If you feel threatened by this then stay home and buy everything online and you’re safe in your little bubble. Let everyone else live thier lives. The govt has provided financial aid if you chose this path. And hospitals will not be overwhelmed anymore than a bad flu year which we have survived for decades. Unless you can give me examples where in the US or Canada people have been left to die in overwhelmed hospitals. And not CNN type proof with a quote from an unnamed doctor at some backwater hospitals that they refuse to name.


Great, so LTC workers, who live within a community rampant with Covid then also get Covid and can no longer do their job for at minimum 2 weeks. If 50% of the staff have it, what then? Who takes care of the residents?

The dumb, the dense and the ignorant on this forum continue to just babble on about things they understand absolutely nothing about.


The government had 8 months to employ a group of people to be deployed to locations where staff can not work until they can return. But no, doug has his 10B to save for some road repairs.

The government also had years to fix the disproportionately low per capital ICU space and did not. And chose to blame on libs, a lie.

They had years to also fix the ailing LTCs before this. And they did not.
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
Posts: 10,964
And1: 3,102
Joined: Apr 24, 2003

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1306 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:40 pm

markR wrote:
Local_NG_Idiot wrote:
Yosemite Dan wrote:You protect the vulnerable. Quarantine all nursing homes and test daily all nursing home and hospital workers and let everyone else got on with thier lives economically before thier lives are totally destroyed and will take years to recover from and will be responsible for many more health issues in the long run. If you feel threatened by this then stay home and buy everything online and you’re safe in your little bubble. Let everyone else live thier lives. The govt has provided financial aid if you chose this path. And hospitals will not be overwhelmed anymore than a bad flu year which we have survived for decades. Unless you can give me examples where in the US or Canada people have been left to die in overwhelmed hospitals. And not CNN type proof with a quote from an unnamed doctor at some backwater hospitals that they refuse to name.


Great, so LTC workers, who live within a community rampant with Covid then also get Covid and can no longer do their job for at minimum 2 weeks. If 50% of the staff have it, what then? Who takes care of the residents?

The dumb, the dense and the ignorant on this forum continue to just babble on about things they understand absolutely nothing about.


The government had 8 months to employ a group of people to be deployed to locations where staff can not work until they can return. But no, doug has his 10B to save for some road repairs.


how many years does it take to become a registered nurse or psw? who's exactly qualified to care for the needs of acute patients vs patients with dementia? See, you don't know the 1st thing about the issues and make flippant ignorant comments like someone should just be able to waive a magic wand and everyone will be safe in these facilities with endless resources and care givers lining up.

The government also had years to fix the disproportionately low per capital ICU space and did not. And chose to blame on libs, a lie.


well, a year and a half to be exact and to be fair, the libs had 14 and also (according to your criteria of nothing) did nothing so I hope you are prepared to blame both?

They had years to also fix the ailing LTCs before this. And they did not.


see above, samesies.

All you've done is point fingers, no solutions, next.
User avatar
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
Posts: 11,381
And1: 7,835
Joined: Nov 16, 2006

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1307 » by Yosemite Dan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:09 pm

Local_NG_Idiot wrote:
Yosemite Dan wrote:You protect the vulnerable. Quarantine all nursing homes and test daily all nursing home and hospital workers and let everyone else got on with thier lives economically before thier lives are totally destroyed and will take years to recover from and will be responsible for many more health issues in the long run. If you feel threatened by this then stay home and buy everything online and you’re safe in your little bubble. Let everyone else live thier lives. The govt has provided financial aid if you chose this path. And hospitals will not be overwhelmed anymore than a bad flu year which we have survived for decades. Unless you can give me examples where in the US or Canada people have been left to die in overwhelmed hospitals. And not CNN type proof with a quote from an unnamed doctor at some backwater hospitals that they refuse to name.


Great, so LTC workers, who live within a community rampant with Covid then also get Covid and can no longer do their job for at minimum 2 weeks. If 50% of the staff have it, what then? Who takes care of the residents?

The dumb, the dense and the ignorant on this forum continue to just babble on about things they understand absolutely nothing about.


That is the stupidest argument I have ever heard. I’m not saying not for people to wear masks but let businesses operate like they did before yesterday and give people the choice to operate thier business and give them the freedom to take that risk.

The govt doubles all salaries for all LTC workers on the condition they self quarantine themselves just like travellers do when they come back. May suck for some but give them financial incentive to do it. Even triple thier salary if they have to. A lot cheaper than what the govt are doing now financially. They chose this profession to deal with the frail so they have a responsibility and with the outbreaks happening it looks like many of them aren’t properly isolating themselves. They knew what they’re were getting into when they took the job. You quarantine yourself properly and are given financial incentive to do so, there is a minimal chance you get covid no matter rampant it is in the population. You don’t have to take public transportation to work because you’re being compensated by a govt subsidy so you can Uber anywhere you want or even rent a car if you have to with a much cheaper rate subsidized by the govt.

Your reasoning of burning the house that has a little bit of mould in the basement is apparently not dense by your standards. You must live with mommy and daddy. And people like you are the problem. You yell from your social media soapbox because you have no concept of how utterly devastating this lockdown is for people who have spent thier whole lives building a business and providing for thier families and to have that all destroyed in an instant because of the idiotic vocal minority bullying the govts into an insane overreaction.
User avatar
Jeremy Lin 7
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,834
And1: 2,382
Joined: Nov 12, 2011

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1308 » by Jeremy Lin 7 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:18 pm

markR wrote:
Jeremy Lin 7 wrote:Go into Lockdown but keep schools open. Doug Ford logic for you

Do you have kids?

I'm probably going to ask my employer to let me go back to the office if they close schools. It is far too stressful to work from home like that.
Employers better figure out how to get people back in the office. I've got friends who said fuxk it and quit and will go back to work in a year or so. They can and have savings. It is a common story.

Fair point. My co-worker told me she prefers working in the office than from home with the kids. Couldn't imagine trying to work from home in that situation. Let alone trying to find someone to babysit. Hopefully, cases can drop soon.
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
Posts: 10,964
And1: 3,102
Joined: Apr 24, 2003

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1309 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:27 pm

Yosemite Dan wrote:
Local_NG_Idiot wrote:
Yosemite Dan wrote:You protect the vulnerable. Quarantine all nursing homes and test daily all nursing home and hospital workers and let everyone else got on with thier lives economically before thier lives are totally destroyed and will take years to recover from and will be responsible for many more health issues in the long run. If you feel threatened by this then stay home and buy everything online and you’re safe in your little bubble. Let everyone else live thier lives. The govt has provided financial aid if you chose this path. And hospitals will not be overwhelmed anymore than a bad flu year which we have survived for decades. Unless you can give me examples where in the US or Canada people have been left to die in overwhelmed hospitals. And not CNN type proof with a quote from an unnamed doctor at some backwater hospitals that they refuse to name.


Great, so LTC workers, who live within a community rampant with Covid then also get Covid and can no longer do their job for at minimum 2 weeks. If 50% of the staff have it, what then? Who takes care of the residents?

The dumb, the dense and the ignorant on this forum continue to just babble on about things they understand absolutely nothing about.


That is the stupidest argument I have ever heard. I’m not saying not for people to wear masks but let businesses operate like they did before yesterday and give people the choice to operate thier business and give them the freedom to take that risk.

The govt doubles all salaries for all LTC workers on the condition they self quarantine themselves just like travellers do when they come back. May suck for some but give them financial incentive to do it. Even triple thier salary if they have to. A lot cheaper than what the govt are doing now financially. They chose this profession to deal with the frail so they have a responsibility and with the outbreaks happening it looks like many of them aren’t properly isolating themselves. They knew what they’re were getting into when they took the job. You quarantine yourself properly and are given financial incentive to do so, there is a minimal chance you get covid no matter rampant it is in the population. You don’t have to take public transportation to work because you’re being compensated by a govt subsidy so you can Uber anywhere you want or even rent a car if you have to with a much cheaper rate subsidized by the govt.

Your reasoning of burning the house that has a little bit of mould in the basement is apparently not dense by your standards. You must live with mommy and daddy. And people like you are the problem. You yell from your social media soapbox because you have no concept of how utterly devastating this lockdown is for people who have spent thier whole lives building a business and providing for thier families and to have that all destroyed in an instant because of the idiotic vocal minority bullying the govts into an insane overreaction.


more babbling and finger pointing at others to take on additional responsibility so you can continue to ignore your social responsibilities and go to the gym and party at the bar. clown shoes bud.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 54,886
And1: 19,068
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1310 » by Fairview4Life » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:45 pm

Why do people keep saying that closing businesses is burning down the house? It is very easy to close non essential businesses like gyms and bars and restaurants and give the people involved in those businesses money to stay home so that there isn’t massive community spread of a virus. We need to last through March. This isn’t storming the beaches at Normandy here. When cases go up, pay people who don’t work in hospitals, schools or childcare and do work in indoor spaces that require crowds of people in close contact to make a profit to stay home.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
antonaki1
Rookie
Posts: 1,163
And1: 413
Joined: Jul 03, 2009

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1311 » by antonaki1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:48 pm

When this is over we need to start supporting our small businesses and shop local. Feel really bad for all the small business owners who are having their lives ruined due to this pandemic. Many were hanging on a thread and the hope of Christmas shopping to survive. If we don't support them they will all be gone forever. Stay away from Amazon and the big box stores that are only proxies for making the rich richer while at the same time avoiding to pay their share of taxes.
NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - BLAKE GRIFFIN
User avatar
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
Posts: 11,381
And1: 7,835
Joined: Nov 16, 2006

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1312 » by Yosemite Dan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:58 pm

Local_NG_Idiot wrote:
Yosemite Dan wrote:
Local_NG_Idiot wrote:
Great, so LTC workers, who live within a community rampant with Covid then also get Covid and can no longer do their job for at minimum 2 weeks. If 50% of the staff have it, what then? Who takes care of the residents?

The dumb, the dense and the ignorant on this forum continue to just babble on about things they understand absolutely nothing about.


That is the stupidest argument I have ever heard. I’m not saying not for people to wear masks but let businesses operate like they did before yesterday and give people the choice to operate thier business and give them the freedom to take that risk.

The govt doubles all salaries for all LTC workers on the condition they self quarantine themselves just like travellers do when they come back. May suck for some but give them financial incentive to do it. Even triple thier salary if they have to. A lot cheaper than what the govt are doing now financially. They chose this profession to deal with the frail so they have a responsibility and with the outbreaks happening it looks like many of them aren’t properly isolating themselves. They knew what they’re were getting into when they took the job. You quarantine yourself properly and are given financial incentive to do so, there is a minimal chance you get covid no matter rampant it is in the population. You don’t have to take public transportation to work because you’re being compensated by a govt subsidy so you can Uber anywhere you want or even rent a car if you have to with a much cheaper rate subsidized by the govt.

Your reasoning of burning the house that has a little bit of mould in the basement is apparently not dense by your standards. You must live with mommy and daddy. And people like you are the problem. You yell from your social media soapbox because you have no concept of how utterly devastating this lockdown is for people who have spent thier whole lives building a business and providing for thier families and to have that all destroyed in an instant because of the idiotic vocal minority bullying the govts into an insane overreaction.


more babbling and finger pointing at others to take on additional responsibility so you can continue to ignore your social responsibilities and go to the gym and party at the bar. clown shoes bud.


Good comeback and apparently your reading comprehension must be a byproduct of Covid. Did your mommy and daddy help you build that soapbox? Make sure you use waterproof stain so all your verbal diarrhea doesn’t ruin it.
User avatar
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
Posts: 11,381
And1: 7,835
Joined: Nov 16, 2006

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1313 » by Yosemite Dan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:06 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:Why do people keep saying that closing businesses is burning down the house? It is very easy to close non essential businesses like gyms and bars and restaurants and give the people involved in those businesses money to stay home so that there isn’t massive community spread of a virus. We need to last through March. This isn’t storming the beaches at Normandy here. When cases go up, pay people who don’t work in hospitals, schools or childcare and do work in indoor spaces that require crowds of people in close contact to make a profit to stay home.


Lol. A lot of these restaurants have stock already paid for and is ruined because they keep getting dicked around by shutdowns despite spending thousands to safe guard thier businesses and adhering to health guidelines. And EI is not gonna cut it. They have landlords to still pay while not getting fully subsidized (only 65%) and personal expenses like large home mortgages, property taxes, thier kids schooling, car payments etc...

Things they had because they worked hard and successful at thier business and wanted to provide for their family and now they’re clearing $1500 a month and are forced to go into severe debt and maybe lose thier house and be thousands in debt for education costs. And may not have a business to go back to. Not to mention the guilt of laying off staff who are also have expenses which EI won’t come close to covering.

You make it sound simple. Just stay home for months and it will go back to normal. The naivety on this board is mind boggling
User avatar
execoftheyear
Veteran
Posts: 2,889
And1: 1,417
Joined: May 14, 2007

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1314 » by execoftheyear » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:06 pm

Local_NG_Idiot wrote:
markR wrote:
Local_NG_Idiot wrote:
Great, so LTC workers, who live within a community rampant with Covid then also get Covid and can no longer do their job for at minimum 2 weeks. If 50% of the staff have it, what then? Who takes care of the residents?

The dumb, the dense and the ignorant on this forum continue to just babble on about things they understand absolutely nothing about.


The government had 8 months to employ a group of people to be deployed to locations where staff can not work until they can return. But no, doug has his 10B to save for some road repairs.


how many years does it take to become a registered nurse or psw? who's exactly qualified to care for the needs of acute patients vs patients with dementia? See, you don't know the 1st thing about the issues and make flippant ignorant comments like someone should just be able to waive a magic wand and everyone will be safe in these facilities with endless resources and care givers lining up.

The government also had years to fix the disproportionately low per capital ICU space and did not. And chose to blame on libs, a lie.


well, a year and a half to be exact and to be fair, the libs had 14 and also (according to your criteria of nothing) did nothing so I hope you are prepared to blame both?

They had years to also fix the ailing LTCs before this. And they did not.


see above, samesies.

All you've done is point fingers, no solutions, next.


bro, there's no use arguing with these people. It's sad but the only way some people will realize how serious this is is if the place they live in gets hit really hard (like New York/North Dakota/Texas/Italy/Spain/Brazil/UK/France) or they somehow get the virus themselves or witness someone close to them get it. That's unfortunately how it is especially in a country that hasn't really experienced something like this in the past. It's a big reason why most Asian countries have no issues with complying with the measures their governments put in place, they've had terrible experiences in the past. There's countless stories of deniers converting into believers when someone close to them gets it or they themselves get it. There's even people who are getting admitted into ICU, receiving treatment and are still denying that the virus even exists. There's no way to get through to these types of people.

They don't see that lockdowns are a necessary sacrifice in stopping the spread because the spread hasn't gotten bad enough to where enough people can see how bad the situation can get when you let this thing run rampant even though there's enough data from other countries and states in dire situations and are being forced into extreme lockdown measures. It's almost like some people need to see how bad this thing can get to justify the lockdowns but the problem is lockdowns are more effective when implemented early so these types of people won't get to really see the difference between pre vs post lockdown measures.
User avatar
ItsDanger
Head Coach
Posts: 6,610
And1: 3,331
Joined: Nov 01, 2008

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1315 » by ItsDanger » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:15 pm

Pay everyone to stay home for 5 months. What could go wrong? LMAO.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
antonaki1
Rookie
Posts: 1,163
And1: 413
Joined: Jul 03, 2009

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1316 » by antonaki1 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:27 pm

Not increasing the ICU capacity of a mere 150 beds in a province of this size in the 6 months we could have done so is unthinkable. The writing was on the wall as we entered winter and there was no way we were going to avoid a shutdown even if everyone wore masks. Now it's going to cost us so many times more.
NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - BLAKE GRIFFIN
User avatar
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
Posts: 11,381
And1: 7,835
Joined: Nov 16, 2006

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1317 » by Yosemite Dan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:41 pm

antonaki1 wrote:Not increasing the ICU capacity of a mere 150 beds in a province of this size in the 6 months we could have done so is unthinkable. The writing was on the wall as we entered winter and there was no way we were going to avoid a shutdown even if everyone wore masks. Now it's going to cost us so many times more.


That’s not the issue. We have many more beds to compensate for ICU patients. They’re talking about cancelling elective surgeries because of over capacity which its still not even close to. The govt said “the POSSIBILITY that they MAY have to cancel SOME surgeries” That’s double talk from the govt. The real issue is rising cases is bad optics. And the media gets all over them about it causing another knee jerk reaction. The goalposts have been moved from deaths to now only cases. And the refusal from them to properly quarantine those who are in true danger has led to this mess again.

There’s 406 hospitals in Ontario so there’s 1 ICU covid patient for almost every 3 hospitals. Does that sound critical to you? And the vast majority are frail elderly people. The govt bent over because of health “experts” and the media pressuring them because of the rising cases. More important to appear to be doing something than actually doing something. And if you watched the Q & A with Ford yesterday you saw a lot of vague answers to media questions, at least the media who were brave enough to ask hardball questions. It’s all politics and most hard working people who abided by the rules are getting severely punished for it. It’s absolutely disgusting. That’s why more people really need to have critical thinking about this and gain a little perspective amongst the fear mongering that all media love to spew.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 54,886
And1: 19,068
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1318 » by Fairview4Life » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:54 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Pay everyone to stay home for 5 months. What could go wrong? LMAO.


Oooo, no, that’s not actually what I said. I get that arguing with a straw man is much easier though.

There are a number of non essential businesses that require large gatherings of people in close contact inside for long periods of time in order to make money. Those places should be closed in a lot of Ontario, Quebec, Saskatchewan, Winnipeg, Alberta, BC etc.. Places where there have been a big increase in cases. The government can pay those people to not work for several months and pay the businesses money so they can pay their landlords etc. For months. We have the resources for that. Do that when cases are rising like they are and when they go back down you can start opening some of them up again. Or, since vaccines are on the way, just keep them shut down until enough people have been jabbed. It is actually very simple.

Let a virus spread uncontrolled in a dense population. What could go wrong? LMAO. I’m sure all those businesses we let stay open to save them will be doing great when their staff are all home sick. Or when no one is patronizing them because everyone else is home sick, or afraid of getting sick. Really thought that through.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
User avatar
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
Posts: 11,381
And1: 7,835
Joined: Nov 16, 2006

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1319 » by Yosemite Dan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:33 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Pay everyone to stay home for 5 months. What could go wrong? LMAO.


Oooo, no, that’s not actually what I said. I get that arguing with a straw man is much easier though.

There are a number of non essential businesses that require large gatherings of people in close contact inside for long periods of time in order to make money. Those places should be closed in a lot of Ontario, Quebec, Saskatchewan, Winnipeg, Alberta, BC etc.. Places where there have been a big increase in cases. The government can pay those people to not work for several months and pay the businesses money so they can pay their landlords etc. For months. We have the resources for that. Do that when cases are rising like they are and when they go back down you can start opening some of them up again. Or, since vaccines are on the way, just keep them shut down until enough people have been jabbed. It is actually very simple.

Let a virus spread uncontrolled in a dense population. What could go wrong? LMAO. I’m sure all those businesses we let stay open to save them will be doing great when their staff are all home sick. Or when no one is patronizing them because everyone else is home sick, or afraid of getting sick. Really thought that through.


You really are detached from reality. Reading the posts from various people the last few pages is more scary than covid could ever be.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
Posts: 54,886
And1: 19,068
Joined: Jul 25, 2005
     

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#1320 » by Fairview4Life » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:35 am

Yosemite Dan wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Pay everyone to stay home for 5 months. What could go wrong? LMAO.


Oooo, no, that’s not actually what I said. I get that arguing with a straw man is much easier though.

There are a number of non essential businesses that require large gatherings of people in close contact inside for long periods of time in order to make money. Those places should be closed in a lot of Ontario, Quebec, Saskatchewan, Winnipeg, Alberta, BC etc.. Places where there have been a big increase in cases. The government can pay those people to not work for several months and pay the businesses money so they can pay their landlords etc. For months. We have the resources for that. Do that when cases are rising like they are and when they go back down you can start opening some of them up again. Or, since vaccines are on the way, just keep them shut down until enough people have been jabbed. It is actually very simple.

Let a virus spread uncontrolled in a dense population. What could go wrong? LMAO. I’m sure all those businesses we let stay open to save them will be doing great when their staff are all home sick. Or when no one is patronizing them because everyone else is home sick, or afraid of getting sick. Really thought that through.


You really are detached from reality. Reading the posts from various people the last few pages is more scary than covid could ever be.


Coming from one of the absolute worst posters on realgm, I’ll take that compliment, thanks.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.

Return to Toronto Raptors