ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

RealGM
And1: 66,481

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(700 new cases 9/28) 

Post#41 » by 720 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:50 pm

xAIRNESSx wrote:
mtcan wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:Winter is going to be depressing af.

Cold, little sunlight, gyms will be closed again. :(

No basketball until January at the earliest...

Time to get back into gaming to pass the time.

For real, my Xbox One busted back in the spring and I’ve been frantically waiting on the Series X.

You got it preordered?
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,449

Post#42 » by mtcan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:50 pm

720 wrote:I am a substitute teacher and I haven't gone back to school this year to supply because of this worry. With Cerb ending this month I have no choice really. I know it can't hurt me but my parents are in their 50s and I live in a condo and don't want to spread it to my neighbors.

But I at the same time I have bills and loans to pay so work is necessary, so I'll just risk it and go starting october.

Isn't there a shortage of teachers for remote learning? I'm sure they are still hiring?
RealGM

Post#43 » by 720 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:51 pm

mtcan wrote:
720 wrote:I am a substitute teacher and I haven't gone back to school this year to supply because of this worry. With Cerb ending this month I have no choice really. I know it can't hurt me but my parents are in their 50s and I live in a condo and don't want to spread it to my neighbors.

But at the same time I have bills and loans to pay so work is necessary, so I'll just risk it and go starting october.

Isn't there a shortage of teachers for remote learning? I'm sure they are still hiring?

I should take a look into that, I just never bothered because I heard it has been a total disaster. But I don't have a whole lot of options so I might as well.
tradejosehesux
Starter
And1: 3,858

Post#44 » by tradejosehesux » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:57 pm

No damn lockdowns. Also, testing has increased more than two-fold since the spring time. Ontario is running like 45,000 tests per day.

Keep the vulnerable protected, get them the vaccine, expand testing by a lot.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread 

Post#45 » by MadDogSHWA » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:01 pm

canz55 wrote:The government of Ontario is counting on people voluntarily getting tested so they can enact more draconian measures and policies that will choke the little freedoms we have left.

Please explain why they would want to do this.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
mtcan
RealGM

Post#46 » by mtcan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:02 pm

720 wrote:
mtcan wrote:

But at the same time I have bills and loans to pay so work is necessary, so I'll just risk it and go starting october.

I should take a look into that, I just never bothered because I heard it has been a total disaster. But I don't have a whole lot of options so I might as well.

It has been total disaster because of the lack of teachers hired. There are thousands of students that still don't have a class because there aren't enough remote learning teachers hired. That demand will only grow because as case numbers go up and as schools start seeing more cases...more parents will be pulling kids out and opting for remote learning in the weeks and months ahead. So they will be needing even more teachers going forward. How could they not anticipate the demand for 70000+ students to opt into remote learning?

Stephen Lecce and the school boards have totally **** up the start of the school year. They had one job and 6 months to come up with a robust plan...and they **** it up completely. This is embarrassing.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#47 » by xAIRNESSx » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:07 pm

720 wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:
mtcan wrote:No basketball until January at the earliest...

Time to get back into gaming to pass the time.

For real, my Xbox One busted back in the spring and I’ve been frantically waiting on the Series X.

You got it preordered?

Yessir, as soon as it was available.

We were having some electrical work done back in April-ish and I forgot to unplug my Xbox One. I think it must've short circuited or something, so I've been gameless for a long time.

I was mostly only playing Cod, 2K19 and Fifa, so might not even pick up any of the launch titles until the new Cod comes out.
canz55
Sixth Man
And1: 2,024

Post#48 » by canz55 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:10 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
canz55 wrote:The government of Ontario is counting on people voluntarily getting tested so they can enact more draconian measures and policies that will choke the little freedoms we have left.

No one is saying that they want to do this - they will ultimately be COMPELLED to do it. In the case of Ontario, Doug has explained away decisions and protocols hiding behind numbers of infected people. Using that argument, he could get away with virtually anything he wanted if its backed by the federal government.

We're living in a world right now where governments are picking and choosing winners in our society based on an argument about whether or not they're "essential". Just look at companies like Amazon and Shopify and how they've expanded in such a short period of time. We've seeded the domination of certain elements within the private sector for at least the next 100 years - all in the name of saving "my 90-year-old grandma".
ImageWe the Champs...
RealGM

Post#49 » by 720 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:11 pm

xAIRNESSx wrote:
720 wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:

You got it preordered?

We were having some electrical work done back in April-ish and I forgot to unplug my Xbox One. I think it must've short circuited or something, so I've been gameless for a long time.

I was mostly only playing Cod, 2K19 and Fifa, so might not even pick up any of the launch titles until the new Cod comes out.

Nice, I preordered it from bestbuy very late, like a couple hours after preorders were open. Got very lucky.
RealGM

Post#50 » by 720 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:13 pm

mtcan wrote:
720 wrote:
mtcan wrote:Isn't there a shortage of teachers for remote learning? I'm sure they are still hiring?

It has been total disaster because of the lack of teachers hired. There are thousands of students that still don't have a class because there aren't enough remote learning teachers hired. That demand will only grow because as case numbers go up and as schools start seeing more cases...more parents will be pulling kids out and opting for remote learning in the weeks and months ahead. So they will be needing even more teachers going forward. How could they not anticipate the demand for 70000+ students to opt into remote learning?

Stephen Lecce and the school boards have totally **** up the start of the school year. They had one job and 6 months to come up with a robust plan...and they **** it up completely. This is embarrassing.

You know what's funny, in our internal memos before school started they were saying how many teachers that got let go or transferred because of the reduced school populations were being moved over to online. So many of us were under the impression it would be like how it was back in June but at a small scale.

But around the final week of summer break many parents opted into distance learning last minute. Thousands we're talking, so it really shocked the system (at least that's what our school board told us through email).
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,575

Post#51 » by Mak » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:14 pm

canz55 wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:

No one is saying that they want to do this - they will ultimately be COMPELLED to do it. In the case of Ontario, Doug has explained away decisions and protocols hiding behind numbers of infected people. Using that argument, he could get away with virtually anything he wanted if its backed by the federal government.

We're living in a world right now where governments are picking and choosing winners in our society based on an argument about whether or not they're "essential". Just look at companies like Amazon and Shopify and how they've expanded in such a short period of time. We've seeded the domination of certain elements within the private sector for at least the next 100 years - all in the name of saving "my 90-year-old grandma".

Lets dig deeper here. What is the real reason Government wants to take our freedoms away? Is it to stop us from finding out that the earth is flat? What is going on here? You seem like a fella with sound logic. Tell us.
mtcan
RealGM

Post#52 » by mtcan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:14 pm

canz55 wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:

This is real tin foil hat kind of ****.

No...no one especially the government wants a lockdown because a bad economy is bad for the party in power.
mtcan
RealGM

Post#53 » by mtcan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:20 pm

720 wrote:
mtcan wrote:
720 wrote:I should take a look into that, I just never bothered because I heard it has been a total disaster. But I don't have a whole lot of options so I might as well.

You know what's funny, in our internal memos before school started they were saying how many teachers that got let go or transferred because of the reduced school populations were being moved over to online. So many of us were under the impression it would be like how it was back in June but at a small scale.

But around the final week of summer break many parents opted into distance learning last minute. Thousands we're talking, so it really shocked the system (at least that's what our school board told us through email).

Yes...this short sighted logic is what led to the current disaster in public schools.

If there is an option between in school and remote learning...you may expect maybe 30% of students/parents to opt for remote learning...to start. But I expected case numbers to rise and a second wave in the fall...so the school boards should anticipated parents to switch to remote learning as case numbers and fear to rise...and it has. That is common sense...

To show in September and to see the rise of case numbers correlating with a rise in demand for remote learning and NOT have planned for it...short sighted.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#54 » by xAIRNESSx » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:20 pm

720 wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:
720 wrote:You got it preordered?

Nice, I preordered it from bestbuy very late, like a couple hours after preorders were open. Got very lucky.

Awesome man.

I got mine off Wal-Mart. Bestbuy was having issues when pre-orders went live and I don't think their Series X page was loading until maybe 12PM. They were the last to sell out.
AbC?
Head Coach
And1: 9,598

Post#55 » by AbC? » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:23 pm

They need to shut down bars, night clubs and indoor dining.

Not only are those places inherently risky, the people that are willing to visit those places during a pandemic are people that don't give a sh*t about the virus in the first place - they won't follow safety protocols and will spread it around the community after getting infected.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#56 » by Kevin Willis » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:26 pm

720 wrote:
mtcan wrote:
720 wrote:I should take a look into that, I just never bothered because I heard it has been a total disaster. But I don't have a whole lot of options so I might as well.

Many seniored teachers also decided to retire instead of going back. There are less to go around.

This distance learning isn't that great. Less interaction with the teacher and classmates which are pooled. So you can 10 kids in one class all from different schools. And if the kid is struggling in a particular class and another finds it a joke, they both get robbed of the attention they need. Ford could've done a better job in putting together a plan. He wants this to work, part of his campaign was to have students take courses from home to save money. He was all about cost cutting and it came back to bite him - from teachers, teaching assistants to network infrastructure.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
canz55
Sixth Man

Post#57 » by canz55 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:30 pm

Mak wrote:
canz55 wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:

Lets dig deeper here. What is the real reason Government wants to take our freedoms away? Is it to stop us from finding out that the earth is flat? What is going on here? You seem like a fella with sound logic. Tell us.
Lets dig deeper - sure.

Take me for example. I'm in my 30's, I'm gainfully employed with a house and a nice car. I have my pension contribution, the bills are paid and I never carry a balance. I also have a cellar full of great beer and wine and occasionally the neighbours come over for a neighborhood fire plus a few drinks. Life is good (for now).

A guy like me, or the rich people I work for or the higher-ups in the government apparatus - I think I can speak for all of us and say that, "things are good". In other words: whether its more lockdowns, restraints on movement, commercial flights not operating etc; we'll be fine. Combine this with one of the single biggest housing appreciation cycles in Canadian history, I, and many others, are also so much wealthier. So in essence me, and people like me, could give a **** about what Doug does or Trudeau does - its the privilege of the bourgeoisie in our society.

Then there's everybody else who are scratching and clawing trying to make rent and get by (barely). These are the people who are **** for a very long time. I'm not saying "government" is going out of its way to **** up your life - I'm saying that their intentions are good (they're always good) but whatever "they" decide to do doesn't really affect them personally. Sure, people lose positions of power and influence from time-to-time but intrinsically as far as their well-being and standard of living go, they'll be just fine.

Call me crazy for caring about the underclass (because I was one of them) and people who are staring into the abyss thinking about how they stave off being homeless etc.
ImageWe the Champs...
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Post#58 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:35 pm

xAIRNESSx wrote:Winter is going to be depressing af.

Cold, little sunlight, gyms will be closed again. :(

Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
canz55
Sixth Man

Post#59 » by canz55 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:38 pm

AbC? wrote:They need to shut down bars, night clubs and indoor dining.

Not only are those places inherently risky, the people that are willing to visit those places during a pandemic are people that don't give a sh*t about the virus in the first place - they won't follow safety protocols and will spread it around the community after getting infected.

Would you be saying this if you owned an establishment yourself?
ImageWe the Champs...
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Post#60 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:40 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
720 wrote:
mtcan wrote:It has been total disaster because of the lack of teachers hired. There are thousands of students that still don't have a class because there aren't enough remote learning teachers hired. That demand will only grow because as case numbers go up and as schools start seeing more cases...more parents will be pulling kids out and opting for remote learning in the weeks and months ahead. So they will be needing even more teachers going forward. How could they not anticipate the demand for 70000+ students to opt into remote learning?

Many seniored teachers also decided to retire instead of going back. There are less to go around.

This distance learning isn't that great. Less interaction with the teacher and classmates which are pooled. So you can 10 kids in one class all from different schools. And if the kid is struggling in a particular class and another finds it a joke, they both get robbed of the attention they need. Ford could've done a better job in putting together a plan. He wants this to work, part of his campaign was to have students take courses from home to save money. He was all about cost cutting and it came back to bite him - from teachers, teaching assistants to network infrastructure.

What I wonder about is there used to be a surplus of graduating new teachers unable to find work. I guess that isn't the reality anymore.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"

Return to Toronto Raptors