ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,627

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(821 new cases Oct 20th) 

Post#781 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:14 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:"No sign of second wave' as ONS data shows normal level of deaths for time of year

People who would normally be expected to die of flu or pneumonia may instead be dying from Covid-19

There is no sign of a second coronavirus wave, experts have said as new Office for National Statistics (ONS) figures showed that deaths are just 1.5 per cent above the five-year average and tracking on a normal trajectory for the time of year..." UK...

But hey.. pumpers gonna pump

Don't watch canadian news.
Don't listen to canadian preacher politicians

What are we not supposed to listen to, exactly. Deaths are down, see the previous article from NPR vaclac posted. Hospitalizations are not. Infections are not. Long term effects are not known but there have been worrying signs in some cases. The UK is instituting various levels of restrictions in different places because cases have been going up again. What, exactly, are the "pumpers" in Canada supposedly "pumping"? Are we not supposed to restrict large groups of unmasked people indoors when cases go up because you think Canadian politicians are lying? What, exactly, are you arguing for?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,445

Post#782 » by mtcan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:26 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Kingsway_fan wrote:"No sign of second wave' as ONS data shows normal level of deaths for time of year

People who would normally be expected to die of flu or pneumonia may instead be dying from Covid-19

There is no sign of a second coronavirus wave, experts have said as new Office for National Statistics (ONS) figures showed that deaths are just 1.5 per cent above the five-year average and tracking on a normal trajectory for the time of year..." UK...

What are we not supposed to listen to, exactly. Deaths are down, see the previous article from NPR vaclac posted. Hospitalizations are not. Infections are not. Long term effects are not known but there have been worrying signs in some cases. The UK is instituting various levels of restrictions in different places because cases have been going up again. What, exactly, are the "pumpers" in Canada supposedly "pumping"? Are we not supposed to restrict large groups of unmasked people indoors when cases go up because you think Canadian politicians are lying? What, exactly, are you arguing for?

He is taking public health advice from Donald Trump...
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#783 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:38 pm

So let's go back to normal so that flu and pneumonia infections levels return to historic averages during a pandemic of a 3rd far more contagious respiratory virus?

That seems like a super solid plan you have there.
Vaclac
Junior
And1: 178

Post#784 » by Vaclac » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:37 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
What are we not supposed to listen to, exactly. Deaths are down, see the previous article from NPR vaclac posted. Hospitalizations are not. Infections are not.

Do you have a good source for tracking hospitalizations? Most comparisons use confirmed cases and deaths - both of which have some issues when trying to understand how this wave compares to the previous one or comparing spread between countries. I feel like hospitalizations would actually be the best of the three for that purpose, but I haven't seen a source that comprehensively tracks it.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,041

Post#785 » by ItsDanger » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:42 pm

Vaclac wrote:Do you have a good source for tracking hospitalizations? Most comparisons use confirmed cases and deaths - both of which have some issues when trying to understand how this wave compares to the previous one or comparing spread between countries. I feel like hospitalizations would actually be the best of the three for that purpose, but I haven't seen a source that comprehensively tracks it.

https://covid-19.ontario.ca/data

Ontario hospitalization rate is a lot lower than early spring. Details on demographics of cases, hospitalizations and deaths would help in any analysis. Of course, we're not provided anything. And yes, most doctors aren't experts in analyzing data.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Caboclo
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,460

Post#786 » by Caboclo » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:57 pm

Read on Twitter
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#787 » by Badonkadonk » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:18 pm

It blows my mind that people still cite death statistics as the most meaningful way to contextualize the pandemic this far into it.

People don't want to get sick with something that hits similarly to pneumonia, especially now that several past COVID patients are still exhibiting symptoms months later.

You don't have to be fixated on avoiding death to not want to be around sick people en masse, and it's a very human response to be pissed with people who make the problem worse.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,041

Re: OT: COVID-19 Ontario 2nd Wave Thread ***(790 new cases Oct 21st) 

Post#788 » by ItsDanger » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:50 pm

FYI, hospitalizations for pneumonia & influenza in Ontario per year are very significant. Will be interesting to monitor data for P&I over next several months. P&I has the strongest seasonality for inpatients. As per Ontario info, there have been about 5,700 cumulative covid hospitalizations to date.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#789 » by MadDogSHWA » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:46 pm

Anyone focused on death is completely ignorant and should stop posting.

There a host of long term side effects that are:
-circulatory
-neurological
-pulmonary

There are dozens of these which are well known already. Healthy young people are having strokes. This isn't about dying or not dying and it never was.

How many people with permanent lung scarring will develop cancer at a young age? We don't know so the precautionary principle is all we have.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
BigBoss23
Junior
And1: 484

Post#790 » by BigBoss23 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:14 pm

Lol at all the sheep in here sayings deaths/hospitalizations aren't the be all end all.

We're told "to bend the curve" originally. Now its "cases". Keep moving the goal posts.

Wasn't it about burdening the health care system? Oh wait you mean to tell me those people who ended up dying from delayed cancer treatments and other medical illnesses are less important? Insanity I tell you.

Stats to support gyms and restaurants being closed? Circumstantial evidence at best.

Healthy young people are more likely to die from a car accident than dying from covid. Plenty of young people, athletes don't even know they have it until they get tested.

There's a 99.9% survival rate across all ages. Median age of death? 84.

This is not to say the virus isn't real. Take the proper precautions and live your life to the fullest. If you're scared? Stay the **** home.

Our politicians are more worried about looking like they're doing nothing so the best way to appease all the sheep are to arbitrarily decide who gets to stay open and who doesn't. They still don't have a realistic end goal. Great planners they are.
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#791 » by 13th Man » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:43 pm

BigBoss23 wrote:Lol at all the sheep in here sayings deaths/hospitalizations aren't the be all end all.

We're told "to bend the curve" originally. Now its "cases". Keep moving the goal posts.

Wasn't it about burdening the health care system? Oh wait you mean to tell me those people who ended up dying from delayed cancer treatments and other medical illnesses are less important? Insanity I tell you.

Stats to support gyms and restaurants being closed? Circumstantial evidence at best.

Healthy young people are more likely to die from a car accident than dying from covid. Plenty of young people, athletes don't even know they have it until they get tested.

This is not to say the virus isn't real. Take the proper precautions and live your life to the fullest. If you're scared? Stay the **** home.

Our politicians are more worried about looking like they're doing nothing so the best way to appease all the sheep are to arbitrarily decide who gets to stay open and who doesn't. They still don't have a realistic end goal. Great planners they are.

There is an end goal. Once the U.S. elections are over, much of the attention to Covid will magically dissipate especially if Biden wins.

I agree with the bolded statement 100%. Just got back from working out and then teaching a class. Couldn't feel any more lively and in good spirits. This fall and winter I plan on doing more hiking than ever. If there's one good thing that comes out of the pandemic, it is to appreciate the beauty and of positive effects of nature.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#792 » by MadDogSHWA » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:22 pm

BigBoss23 wrote:Lol at all the sheep in here sayings deaths/hospitalizations aren't the be all end all.

I love how you morons relate things to fear.

I wear safety glasses and hearing protection when I use my tablesaw. Is that due to fear also?

GTFO
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,171

Post#793 » by execoftheyear » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:50 pm

13th Man wrote:

There is an end goal. Once the U.S. elections are over, much of the attention to Covid will magically dissipate especially if Biden wins.

I agree with the bolded statement 100%. Just got back from working out and then teaching a class. Couldn't feel any more lively and in good spirits. This fall and winter I plan on doing more hiking than ever. If there's one good thing that comes out of the pandemic, it is to appreciate the beauty and of positive effects of nature.

conspiracy theorist exposed. Yes, the entire world is waiting for the US election to be over before this "hoax" can finally be swept under the rug and everything will carry on like this whole pandemic never happened :roll: . The bigger pandemic is ignorant bs like this.
M3tro
Analyst
And1: 3,063

Post#794 » by M3tro » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:51 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:

I wear safety glasses and hearing protection when I use my tablesaw. Is that due to fear also?

GTFO

If you don't think fear is a central component of this pandemic, than you aren't paying attention.

One of the key tenets to a civilized society has already been successfully eroded; the assumed social contract that a random stranger won't harm you unprovoked. People will literally cross the street and turn their heads away from others as though they're lepers. Isn't that fear?

This is the greatest money heist since the Great Depression but you're more scared of a virus that most healthy people don't even know they have until they're tested.

Follow the money trail and things become a lot clearer...
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#795 » by 13th Man » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:17 am

execoftheyear wrote:conspiracy theorist exposed. Yes, the entire world is waiting for the US election to be over before this "hoax" can finally be swept under the rug and everything will carry on like this whole pandemic never happened :roll: . The bigger pandemic is ignorant bs like this.

Don't take it so seriously. It was hyperbole, mostly based on what's going on down south.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,627

Post#796 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:53 am

M3tro wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:

GTFO

If you don't think fear is a central component of this pandemic, than you aren't paying attention.

One of the key tenets to a civilized society has already been successfully eroded; the assumed social contract that a random stranger won't harm you unprovoked. People will literally cross the street and turn their heads away from others as though they're lepers. Isn't that fear?

This is the greatest money heist since the Great Depression but you're more scared of a virus that most healthy people don't even know they have until they're tested.

Follow the money trail and things become a lot clearer...

What the **** are you talking about?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
mellymel1234
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#797 » by mellymel1234 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:08 am

MadDogSHWA wrote:

GTFO

Fear of deaf and blindness it would appear.
execoftheyear
Analyst
And1: 2,171

Post#798 » by execoftheyear » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:19 am

I don't think this is true (at least here in Toronto). Maybe it's true in the states where hospitals are over capacity. The only thing delayed here were elective surgeries. Urgent surgeries/treatment were still going on even during peak covid. We've luckily managed to avoid having our hospitals overrun with covid patients (knock on wood)
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,391

Post#799 » by beanbag » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:27 am

MadDogSHWA wrote:

GTFO

When I buy an airplane ticket, I insist on hanging off the wing with no support. I'm not gonna let the libs force me into sitting inside with a seat belt on like some toddler. May as well give me a bonnet and a giant lollipop.

Follow the money dude!
M3tro
Analyst
And1: 3,063

Post#800 » by M3tro » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:26 am

beanbag wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:

GTFO

When I buy an airplane ticket, I insist on hanging off the wing with no support. I'm not gonna let the libs force me into sitting inside with a seat belt on like some toddler. May as well give me a bonnet and a giant lollipop.

Follow the money dude!

lol hold on.

You're the guy always whining about systemic racism and oppression at the hands of Western society, yet now you're mocking the notion that those same oppressors couldn't possibly have ill intentions behind this pandemic? lol.

Pick a side and stay consistent.

Return to Toronto Raptors