ImageImageImageImageImage

Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks

Moderators: Patman, pbj, Alfred, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Rhettmatic, niQ

User avatar
OakleyDokely
RealGM
Posts: 16,816
And1: 37,573
Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Location: 416
 

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#81 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:45 pm

There's a reason GS and MIN are looking to trade out of the top 2 picks. This draft stinks at the top. Very rarely are teams looking to trade the top 2 picks. It almost never happens. But it's happening now because there's a chance that the player taken #1 isnt even as good as OG, let alone Siakam.
GreatWhiteStiff
General Manager
Posts: 9,110
And1: 7,141
Joined: Oct 17, 2011
Location: #EmbraceTheTreadmill
 

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#82 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:21 pm

Image
"Yes because he completely turned around a disastrous 5-12 team and helped them in every facet of the game. If Melo keeps it up, he is legit MVP candidate."

-EricMillegan
User avatar
ruckus
RealGM
Posts: 10,908
And1: 7,665
Joined: May 18, 2007
Location: From the Slums of Shaolin...
 

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#83 » by ruckus » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:33 pm

Also, if considering moving up in this draft, you have to look at the effect this extended time off from basketball may have on these prospects.

Most drafts are a crapshoot and this year is no exception. Any team that moves up in this draft and trades away a contributing player to do so will most likely regret it.
Image
TheAlchemist
General Manager
Posts: 7,692
And1: 7,399
Joined: Apr 06, 2010
   

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#84 » by TheAlchemist » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:45 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:There's a reason GS and MIN are looking to trade out of the top 2 picks. This draft stinks at the top. Very rarely are teams looking to trade the top 2 picks. It almost never happens. But it's happening now because there's a chance that the player taken #1 isnt even as good as OG, let alone Siakam.


No not necessarily.

Golden State was a team that won 72 games without Durant and it took a historical momentous effort (his best by far) from LeBron to beat them.

Golden State currently has;
- Steph Curry - 32 years
- Klay - 30 years old
- Draymond Green - 30 years old
- And Wiggins who is 25.

They got 2 maybe 3 years tops to get a couple tittles in. I think they'll get one more by the end of it.

Why not trade for an all star who can put them over the hump? A Bradley Beal?

Hell even if they try for a Myles Turner + Oladipo for the 2nd, the warriors are laughing.

Steph
Klay
Oladipo
Draymond
Myles

It just makes too much sense to trade that pick.


.. Minnesota on the other hand is going to Minnesota. They should keep the pick by all means, they're not at the stage to compete. But they bought into that weird core of D'Angelo and KAT.

It's weird af and instead of doing the smart thing which is to trade both of them for a whole bunch of assets, they are going to try to build around.

On a macro scale it looks crazy both the #1 and #2 overall picks are being moved, but once you actually get a closer look, it makes sense ( and sense because Minny is a horribly run franchise).
User avatar
OakleyDokely
RealGM
Posts: 16,816
And1: 37,573
Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Location: 416
 

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#85 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:13 pm

TheAlchemist wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:There's a reason GS and MIN are looking to trade out of the top 2 picks. This draft stinks at the top. Very rarely are teams looking to trade the top 2 picks. It almost never happens. But it's happening now because there's a chance that the player taken #1 isnt even as good as OG, let alone Siakam.


No not necessarily.

Golden State was a team that won 72 games without Durant and it took a historical momentous effort (his best by far) from LeBron to beat them.

Golden State currently has;
- Steph Curry - 32 years
- Klay - 30 years old
- Draymond Green - 30 years old
- And Wiggins who is 25.

They got 2 maybe 3 years tops to get a couple tittles in. I think they'll get one more by the end of it.

Why not trade for an all star who can put them over the hump? A Bradley Beal?

Hell even if they try for a Myles Turner + Oladipo for the 2nd, the warriors are laughing.

Steph
Klay
Oladipo
Draymond
Myles

It just makes too much sense to trade that pick.


.. Minnesota on the other hand is going to Minnesota. They should keep the pick by all means, they're not at the stage to compete. But they bought into that weird core of D'Angelo and KAT.

It's weird af and instead of doing the smart thing which is to trade both of them for a whole bunch of assets, they are going to try to build around.

On a macro scale it looks crazy both the #1 and #2 overall picks are being moved, but once you actually get a closer look, it makes sense ( and sense because Minny is a horribly run franchise).


If there was a player the calibre of Morant or Trae Young at 1 or 2, forget about someone like Zion or Doncic, GS would keep the pick. Yes, GS is in win now mode, but they have a lot more incentive to deal it because the top of this draft is weaker than usual.
God Squad
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,583
And1: 1,911
Joined: Feb 22, 2010
Location: Toronto
 

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#86 » by God Squad » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:33 am

I don't see any scenario where this is even remotely a possibility. But for a sake of conversation, I'd rather get into next year's draft. But for giggles, if we manage to get into let's say top 10-15 who would be your target? TBH getting top 10 would be best or most realistic compared to top 5.
User avatar
fbalmeida
Analyst
Posts: 3,498
And1: 4,449
Joined: Jul 03, 2019
Location: Braga, Portugal
         

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#87 » by fbalmeida » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:44 am

The T-Wolves looking to move picks and with their current cap space, may provide the 76ers with an opportunity to offload Horford.

A Horford package for an expiring James Johnson package seems feasible cap-wise.

Horford would actually have a well defined role to play with the T-Wolves.
They could go with a lineup of

D'Lo
Beasley / Okogie
Culver
Horford
KAT

That's a nice, young, talented, entertaining, albeit losing team in the West.

All while the 76ers could go with:

Shake
Richardson
Harris
Simmons
Embiid

... while bringing themselves much closer to any chance of having some breathing room under the cap.

Unloading Horford is really their only hope of retooling at this point.
Image
User avatar
bluerap23
Analyst
Posts: 3,288
And1: 2,967
Joined: Aug 15, 2012
   

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#88 » by bluerap23 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:29 pm

fbalmeida wrote:The T-Wolves looking to move picks and with their current cap space, may provide the 76ers with an opportunity to offload Horford.

A Horford package for an expiring James Johnson package seems feasible cap-wise.

Horford would actually have a well defined role to play with the T-Wolves.
They could go with a lineup of

D'Lo
Beasley / Okogie
Culver
Horford
KAT

That's a nice, young, talented, entertaining, albeit losing team in the West.

All while the 76ers could go with:

Shake
Richardson
Harris
Simmons
Embiid

... while bringing themselves much closer to any chance of having some breathing room under the cap.

Unloading Horford is really their only hope of retooling at this point.


This may be the weakest draft in over a decade, but you don't trade the top pick for a 35 year old making max money for 3 years. Al Horford likely has the worst contract in the NBA. This would be a historically terrible trade.
Image
NotMyKawhi
Starter
Posts: 2,407
And1: 3,071
Joined: Jul 13, 2018

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#89 » by NotMyKawhi » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:00 pm

fbalmeida wrote:The T-Wolves looking to move picks and with their current cap space, may provide the 76ers with an opportunity to offload Horford.

A Horford package for an expiring James Johnson package seems feasible cap-wise.

Horford would actually have a well defined role to play with the T-Wolves.
They could go with a lineup of

D'Lo
Beasley / Okogie
Culver
Horford
KAT

That's a nice, young, talented, entertaining, albeit losing team in the West.

All while the 76ers could go with:

Shake
Richardson
Harris
Simmons
Embiid

... while bringing themselves much closer to any chance of having some breathing room under the cap.

Unloading Horford is really their only hope of retooling at this point.


The sixers want to unload horford for a reason...they'll have to attach picks to get rid of that contract.

No way a small market who has two guys under huge contracts long term and didn't win last year, will bring in a horrible contract that will get them stuck in no mans land for years and years to come
User avatar
fbalmeida
Analyst
Posts: 3,498
And1: 4,449
Joined: Jul 03, 2019
Location: Braga, Portugal
         

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#90 » by fbalmeida » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:40 pm

But that's the thing. Horford doesn't get them stuck at all. Minnesota has exactly zero cap concerns for the remainder of Horford's contract. For that period, D'LO and KAT are locked up long-term and Culver is on a rookie contract. They can absorb Horford. Their only concern is matching any offers for Beasley, which shouldn't be too hard. They are unlikely to attract any notable free agents to their cause.

I think it would make sense for both parties. The T-wolves need a veteran big with solid defense. I can see them taking the bait on a nicely packaged Horford.
Image
User avatar
fbalmeida
Analyst
Posts: 3,498
And1: 4,449
Joined: Jul 03, 2019
Location: Braga, Portugal
         

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#91 » by fbalmeida » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:49 pm

One thing is certain. If the 76ers can't rid themselves of Horford's contract, and considering how much of a potentially diminished cap Harris is going to eat up until he's 32, the front-office, coaching staff, and fans better hope Embiid gets along well with Shake Milton, because that's about as good as a point guard as they are going to afford and be able to suit up for the next three seasons.
Image
User avatar
fbalmeida
Analyst
Posts: 3,498
And1: 4,449
Joined: Jul 03, 2019
Location: Braga, Portugal
         

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#92 » by fbalmeida » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:53 pm

I spent an evening sipping some sweet port wine and looking at each NBA team's roster, and the Horford - Johnson deal just jumped at me as making sense for both sides, in terms of cap management. I googled it in and I'm surprised to see that this exact same trade was rumoured back in March.

https://www.inquisitr.com/5939981/timberwolves-trading-for-al-horford/
Image
bballsparkin
Head Coach
Posts: 6,981
And1: 5,658
Joined: Mar 03, 2009

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#93 » by bballsparkin » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:20 pm

Horford isn’t the type of player that would turn the Timberwolves into an instant title contender in the deep Western Conference. However, if they could acquire him without giving up valuable assets in return, Minnesota should grab the opportunity of pairing him with the face of the franchise, Karl-Anthony Towns.


Horford would only be valuable if they got him for cheap. Like a straight exchange for JJ. No picks included. Unless it's coming from Philly for taking Al's contract off their hands.
pr0gr4m
Sophomore
Posts: 202
And1: 156
Joined: Jun 15, 2020

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#94 » by pr0gr4m » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:27 pm

Powell + McCaw + 29 + 2021 1st for James Johnson and the 1st pick. Then draft Hayes and develop him in the Gleague as a big 1 next to Oladipo. If you could turn Hayes into Brogdon and match him with Oladipo and Giannis that would be deadly.

Giannis
Siakam
OG
Oladipo/Davis
Hayes/Lowry
TheAlchemist
General Manager
Posts: 7,692
And1: 7,399
Joined: Apr 06, 2010
   

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#95 » by TheAlchemist » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:52 pm

Lowry + Powell for Expirings and junk.

Start the rebuild because if Giannis doesn't sign here, we're f****d.

Roll out a team of ;

FVV / Terrence Davis
Anthony Edwards / Terrence Davis
OG / 99%
Siakam / RHJ
Ibaka / Boooshay / MLE guy

Trade deadline we flip TD + Ibaka for Oladipo.

We end up having multiple shot creators now on our team going forward, but sacrifice our heart :( .
User avatar
fbalmeida
Analyst
Posts: 3,498
And1: 4,449
Joined: Jul 03, 2019
Location: Braga, Portugal
         

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#96 » by fbalmeida » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:35 am

«captain_picard_facepalm.gif»
Image
mtcan
RealGM
Posts: 14,727
And1: 10,322
Joined: May 19, 2001

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#97 » by mtcan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:47 am

Pascal Siakam for Josh Okogie, Jarret Culver and #1?
User avatar
fbalmeida
Analyst
Posts: 3,498
And1: 4,449
Joined: Jul 03, 2019
Location: Braga, Portugal
         

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#98 » by fbalmeida » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:02 am

You won't have to worry about performance in the playoffs if you don't make them.

Image
Image
User avatar
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
Posts: 11,889
And1: 11,475
Joined: Jan 22, 2014
     

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#99 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:21 am

well for those who want to move Lowry for a high draft pick, this is the year. huge expiring contract as well. if you really want to move Lowry to get assets back, this is the time/year.

Don't think they'll do it as Lowry has cemented his place in Raptors lore BUT if I were being a GM and wanted to set myself up for the future, I would do something about this instead of letting Lowry expire into FA.
baller16
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,717
And1: 8,902
Joined: Feb 23, 2016
 

Re: Wolves and Warriors looking to move top picks 

Post#100 » by baller16 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:20 am

Possible inside scoop taken from reddit

Image

Return to Toronto Raptors