ImageImageImageImageImage

Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team?

Moderators: Patman, pbj, Alfred, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Rhettmatic, niQ

D.Brasco
Head Coach
Posts: 7,347
And1: 5,105
Joined: Nov 17, 2006

Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team? 

Post#1 » by D.Brasco » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:42 pm

Really having the full picture after this past season of how good Lowry and the supporting cast really are, could there have been any other star instead of Kawhi in the league who could have taken the Raps to a ring in 2019 and conversely possibly in 2020 as well, assuming that star stayed?
User avatar
OakleyDokely
RealGM
Posts: 16,783
And1: 37,538
Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Location: 416
 

Re: Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team 

Post#3 » by OakleyDokely » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:45 pm

A scorer like Beal probably puts the Raps into the finals again.
User avatar
HeadtopChunes
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,907
And1: 9,679
Joined: Apr 04, 2017

Re: Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team 

Post#4 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:47 pm

Lebron, Durant, maybe Giannis

Wonder if the 2020 Raps could have won with Jimmy Butler?
User avatar
Steelo Green
RealGM
Posts: 12,456
And1: 21,307
Joined: Feb 06, 2013

Re: Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team 

Post#5 » by Steelo Green » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:48 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:A scorer like Beal probably puts the Raps into the finals again.

In 2020 maybe, 2019 no way.

I think because we beat the 6ers in round two that people (not saying you, just the general public) don't realize how good they were.

They legit had two top 10-12 players and a third in the top 20-25 with shooting to surround them. Sixers last year I think could have beaten these Lakers and is one of Kawhi's crowning achievements as a player for a non finals round.
D.Brasco
Head Coach
Posts: 7,347
And1: 5,105
Joined: Nov 17, 2006

Re: Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team 

Post#6 » by D.Brasco » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:49 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:Lebron, Durant, maybe Giannis

Wonder if the 2020 Raps could have won with Jimmy Butler?


Would he have been a better Demar for them? Both guys don't like the 3-ball.
User avatar
Steelo Green
RealGM
Posts: 12,456
And1: 21,307
Joined: Feb 06, 2013

Re: Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team 

Post#7 » by Steelo Green » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:53 pm

D.Brasco wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:Lebron, Durant, maybe Giannis

Wonder if the 2020 Raps could have won with Jimmy Butler?


Would he have been a better Demar for them? Both guys don't like the 3-ball.

Except Jimmy is one of the best defensive guard, and he doesn't like it, but he isn't a bad three point shooter.
Danny1616
Head Coach
Posts: 6,309
And1: 8,399
Joined: May 26, 2007

Re: Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team 

Post#8 » by Danny1616 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:48 pm

If Siakim just played average we would be in the finals with a legit shot against the Lakers and that's just facts.
User avatar
ruckus
RealGM
Posts: 10,901
And1: 7,660
Joined: May 18, 2007
Location: From the Slums of Shaolin...
 

Re: Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team 

Post#9 » by ruckus » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:26 pm

Steelo Green wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:A scorer like Beal probably puts the Raps into the finals again.

In 2020 maybe, 2019 no way.

I think because we beat the 6ers in round two that people (not saying you, just the general public) don't realize how good they were.

They legit had two top 10-12 players and a third in the top 20-25 with shooting to surround them. Sixers last year I think could have beaten these Lakers and is one of Kawhi's crowning achievements as a player for a non finals round.


Kawhi misses that game 7 shot and the narrative around so many things change. Not just for Kawhi, Fred, Pascal or the Raptors in general but for Jimmy who almost won that game for the Sixers, Embiid, Simmons. That series was so incredibly close that the "bounce" truly was a miracle shot.

As for OP's question, Lebron, probably KD. Superstars that can play both sides of the ball.
Image
User avatar
Steelo Green
RealGM
Posts: 12,456
And1: 21,307
Joined: Feb 06, 2013

Re: Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team 

Post#10 » by Steelo Green » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:06 pm

ruckus wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:A scorer like Beal probably puts the Raps into the finals again.

In 2020 maybe, 2019 no way.

I think because we beat the 6ers in round two that people (not saying you, just the general public) don't realize how good they were.

They legit had two top 10-12 players and a third in the top 20-25 with shooting to surround them. Sixers last year I think could have beaten these Lakers and is one of Kawhi's crowning achievements as a player for a non finals round.


Kawhi misses that game 7 shot and the narrative around so many things change. Not just for Kawhi, Fred, Pascal or the Raptors in general but for Jimmy who almost won that game for the Sixers, Embiid, Simmons. That series was so incredibly close that the "bounce" truly was a miracle shot.

As for OP's question, Lebron, probably KD. Superstars that can play both sides of the ball.

But he did hit it.

And not only that, he literally carried the entire team who just watched in his greatness.

That Sixers series is one of the best rounds in the leagues history.
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
Posts: 11,384
And1: 7,938
Joined: Apr 09, 2008

Re: Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team 

Post#11 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:59 pm

a superstar in 2019. in 2020, even butler would've been enough. given how weak the east was esp with bucks defeat, we at least could've made it into the finals with beal or butler type.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
User avatar
SFour
RealGM
Posts: 28,666
And1: 44,738
Joined: Apr 07, 2012
   

Re: Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team 

Post#12 » by SFour » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:36 pm

in 2019, any top 5 player (Lebron, Giannis, KD, Curry)
in 2020, any top 10-15 player (Butler, Jokic, etc)
TheAlchemist
General Manager
Posts: 7,673
And1: 7,390
Joined: Apr 06, 2010
   

Re: Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team 

Post#13 » by TheAlchemist » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:40 pm

My list:

1. Lebron
2. Giannis
3. Steph Curry
4. James Harden
5. Durant
6. Anthony Davis
7. Jimmy Butler
User avatar
Psubs
General Manager
Posts: 8,632
And1: 6,051
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: Toronto

Re: Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team 

Post#14 » by Psubs » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:52 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:Lebron, Durant, maybe Giannis

Wonder if the 2020 Raps could have won with Jimmy Butler?


Yes, if we had Jimmy Butler instead of Philly having him, we beat them in less than 7 games. I mean if they have Derozan, Poeltl and 1st pick.

If we have Jimmy Butler to bother Tatum, we sure do beat them. Maybe Milwaukee? Yes the Lakers.

PG Lowry - FVV - TD
SG Butler - FVV - Thomas
SF OG - Powell - RHJ
PF Siakam - OG - Boucher
C Marc - Ibaka

Also FVV gets slightly less mins and would be happy to get $18 million per season next contract.
Image
Image
User avatar
ash_k
RealGM
Posts: 11,292
And1: 6,081
Joined: Apr 14, 2010
         

Re: Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team 

Post#15 » by ash_k » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:18 pm

TheAlchemist wrote:My list:

1. Lebron
2. Giannis
3. Steph Curry
4. James Harden
5. Durant
6. Anthony Davis
7. Jimmy Butler

Let's start by removing those 2..on our team DEFENSE MATTERS
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
Posts: 15,494
And1: 13,140
Joined: Feb 20, 2017

Re: Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team 

Post#16 » by RaptorsNorth » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:27 pm

Steelo Green wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:A scorer like Beal probably puts the Raps into the finals again.

In 2020 maybe, 2019 no way.

I think because we beat the 6ers in round two that people (not saying you, just the general public) don't realize how good they were.

They legit had two top 10-12 players and a third in the top 20-25 with shooting to surround them. Sixers last year I think could have beaten these Lakers and is one of Kawhi's crowning achievements as a player for a non finals round.

Image not only last season but this season we would have been in the Finals with Beal!


The Celtics have no answers for that man! Cooked Smart and Kemba.

“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
ac1011990
Freshman
Posts: 94
And1: 274
Joined: Dec 16, 2018
 

Re: Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team 

Post#17 » by ac1011990 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:28 pm

ash_k wrote:
TheAlchemist wrote:My list:

1. Lebron
2. Giannis
3. Steph Curry
4. James Harden
5. Durant
6. Anthony Davis
7. Jimmy Butler

Let's start by removing those 2..on our team DEFENSE MATTERS

We removed Kawhi and Green, both amazing defenders and our defence was still one of the best in the league. We needed Kawhi mainly for his offence, his defence was just nice to have. Having any player who has good offence in the playoffs would have more than likely resulted in the same championship.
Image
User avatar
ash_k
RealGM
Posts: 11,292
And1: 6,081
Joined: Apr 14, 2010
         

Re: Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team 

Post#18 » by ash_k » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:37 pm

ac1011990 wrote:
ash_k wrote:
TheAlchemist wrote:My list:

1. Lebron
2. Giannis
3. Steph Curry
4. James Harden
5. Durant
6. Anthony Davis
7. Jimmy Butler

Let's start by removing those 2..on our team DEFENSE MATTERS

We removed Kawhi and Green, both amazing defenders and our defence was still one of the best in the league. We needed Kawhi mainly for his offence, his defence was just nice to have. Having any player who has good offence in the playoffs would have more than likely resulted in the same championship.

His defence was a nice to have? :lol:
Because FVV is an elite team defender and Kyle is a good team defender as well that can defend SG better than he can cover the Point of Attack.
You probably got blinded by Kawhi's offense so much than you didn't notice some of the shutdown D he was doing.
Nobody gets hidden defensively (outside of maybe Matt Thomas at times) on our roster
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
User avatar
Mikistan
RealGM
Posts: 16,947
And1: 26,325
Joined: Jun 30, 2008
Location: Shamblesland
     

Re: Could there have been any other star slotted into the 2019 or 2020 Raptors would could have made a championship team 

Post#20 » by Mikistan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:55 pm

ash_k wrote:
ac1011990 wrote:
ash_k wrote:Let's start by removing those 2..on our team DEFENSE MATTERS

We removed Kawhi and Green, both amazing defenders and our defence was still one of the best in the league. We needed Kawhi mainly for his offence, his defence was just nice to have. Having any player who has good offence in the playoffs would have more than likely resulted in the same championship.

His defence was a nice to have? :lol:
Because FVV is an elite team defender and Kyle is a good team defender as well that can defend SG better than he can cover the Point of Attack.
You probably got blinded by Kawhi's offense so much than you didn't notice some of the shutdown D he was doing.
Nobody gets hidden defensively (outside of maybe Matt Thomas at times) on our roster

And you saw how all d no offense Marc Gasol worked out for us in Celtics game 7
Image
Boogie! wrote:Fvvvcccc ommggvvgg I forgive u

Return to Toronto Raptors