ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract

Moderators: Patman, pbj, Alfred, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Rhettmatic, niQ

User avatar
visionquest
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,877
And1: 2,043
Joined: Mar 06, 2010

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#101 » by visionquest » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:49 am

We the North of $20M
DreamTeam09
General Manager
Posts: 9,399
And1: 3,983
Joined: Jan 06, 2009
Location: Scarborough
 

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#102 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:57 am

Skimming thru the pages, I saw someone put up 21m 17m 19m 21m, in terms of contract structure, and if we can get him at that then I'd take that as a win for us. 15 is the most I'd want to spend on FVV but that's not realistic. This would not be a gross overpayment
Image

In Raptor Ball I Trust
User avatar
720
RealGM
Posts: 19,733
And1: 46,224
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Malton
     

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#103 » by 720 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:59 am

When does the offseason start? When does the damn draft start? January is only like 9 weeks away.
Image
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 28,321
And1: 27,715
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#104 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:05 am

I don’t think there’s been one starter where this fanbase didn't think their contract sucked.

Now the fanbase doesn’t even wait and starts bitching ahead of time.
Ackshun
Head Coach
Posts: 6,066
And1: 2,155
Joined: Jul 24, 2006

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#105 » by Ackshun » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:19 am

Unrelated but I clicked on the link '"Knicks interested in Okoro" and found this comment below. Made me laugh out loud.

bockingknickers

Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:58 PM

Can we please draft someone that can shoot at least my goodness how are we ever going to score more than 75 a game
team edward
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,617
And1: 2,875
Joined: Jul 28, 2010

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#106 » by team edward » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:41 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:Skimming thru the pages, I saw someone put up 21m 17m 19m 21m, in terms of contract structure, and if we can get him at that then I'd take that as a win for us. 15 is the most I'd want to spend on FVV but that's not realistic. This would not be a gross overpayment

Can’t really do decreases quite that drastically, I think they are capped at 8 or 10% up/down In any year. So more like 18.5m 17m 18.5m 20m, if you’re goal is 17m in “the offseason”, but you can see how that’s maybe too low at $74m

This “leak” of course isn’t from Masai, it’s from Fred’s people. So he has now told toronto and others what he expects his market to be. It happens to align with the majority view on reddit and realgm of what the top end of his market is.

There’s no way masai lets him walk imo. But Masai may have a plan for a future transaction if necessary.
User avatar
Morse Code
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,624
And1: 7,249
Joined: May 20, 2011
Location: Halifax
     

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#107 » by Morse Code » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:17 pm

Please don’t pay Fred. He’s a good player but he’s always going to be reliant on his matchup being favourable from a size perspective, which will be a problem considering the size of some of the guards in the league now. I personally just want a clean slate so Masai and Giannis can construct a team as they see fit.
Image
User avatar
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
Posts: 12,242
And1: 11,789
Joined: Jan 22, 2014
     

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#108 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:26 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:I don’t think there’s been one starter where this fanbase didn't think their contract sucked.

Now the fanbase doesn’t even wait and starts bitching ahead of time.


well noone bitched about Siakam's contract at first at the beginning. only when he played poorly in the playoffs.

FVV is a diminutive guard who is poor at finishing at the rim (no surprise) and it oft seen as a chucker. he's not a sure-fire all-star player (probably won't make it unless the Raptors are 1-2 in the standings, Siakam only one getting a regular dosage of all star starting votes) but yet he isn't the back half of all the starting PG's in the league. but he makes big shots at times and Raptors fans will always remember him from the 2019 playoff run, less so of his 2020 playoff run which is probably more of what to expect. he's a dead eye wide open jump shooter but going to shoot a lot. he will probably be an average player through and through. nothing spectacular and nothing too bad. people will get frustrated with him no doubt but give him praise when he comes through with his moniker 'steady freddy'

anything more than $20M is probably a bad thing. let him walk if someone is offering +20M for him. otherwise you sign him at anywhere between 17-20 per annum because of the shrinking cap.
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 28,321
And1: 27,715
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#109 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:33 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:I don’t think there’s been one starter where this fanbase didn't think their contract sucked.

Now the fanbase doesn’t even wait and starts bitching ahead of time.


well noone bitched about Siakam's contract at first at the beginning. only when he played poorly in the playoffs.

FVV is a diminutive guard who is poor at finishing at the rim (no surprise) and it oft seen as a chucker. he's not a sure-fire all-star player (probably won't make it unless the Raptors are 1-2 in the standings, Siakam only one getting a regular dosage of all star starting votes) but yet he isn't the back half of all the starting PG's in the league. but he makes big shots at times and Raptors fans will always remember him from the 2019 playoff run, less so of his 2020 playoff run which is probably more of what to expect. he's a dead eye wide open jump shooter but going to shoot a lot. he will probably be an average player through and through. nothing spectacular and nothing too bad. people will get frustrated with him no doubt but give him praise when he comes through with his moniker 'steady freddy'

anything more than $20M is probably a bad thing. let him walk if someone is offering +20M for him. otherwise you sign him at anywhere between 17-20 per annum because of the shrinking cap.


He’s a 6-1 guard and now that’s considered diminutive by half the peole here who never said anything about Lowry for 10 years? Yeah he’s not a sure fire all-star and is pretty unlikely to be paid like one and there is no hint of that. He’s not getting close to it really, but there still complaining about it because he’s getting paid at all?

Yeah heaven forbid it’s 4/85 and over 20. Letting him walk becuase that was the deal and it’s over 20 would be monumentally wasteful.

And lol that nobody complained about Siakam deal at first. And it’s the complaining before anyone even knows is what’s really funny in this thread.
User avatar
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
Posts: 12,242
And1: 11,789
Joined: Jan 22, 2014
     

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#110 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:42 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:I don’t think there’s been one starter where this fanbase didn't think their contract sucked.

Now the fanbase doesn’t even wait and starts bitching ahead of time.


well noone bitched about Siakam's contract at first at the beginning. only when he played poorly in the playoffs.

FVV is a diminutive guard who is poor at finishing at the rim (no surprise) and it oft seen as a chucker. he's not a sure-fire all-star player (probably won't make it unless the Raptors are 1-2 in the standings, Siakam only one getting a regular dosage of all star starting votes) but yet he isn't the back half of all the starting PG's in the league. but he makes big shots at times and Raptors fans will always remember him from the 2019 playoff run, less so of his 2020 playoff run which is probably more of what to expect. he's a dead eye wide open jump shooter but going to shoot a lot. he will probably be an average player through and through. nothing spectacular and nothing too bad. people will get frustrated with him no doubt but give him praise when he comes through with his moniker 'steady freddy'

anything more than $20M is probably a bad thing. let him walk if someone is offering +20M for him. otherwise you sign him at anywhere between 17-20 per annum because of the shrinking cap.


He’s a 6-1 guard and now that’s considered dilutive? Yeah he’s not a sure fire all-star and is pretty unlikely to be paid like one and there is no hint of that. He’s not getting close to it really, but there still complaining about it because he’s getting paid at all?

Yeah heaven forbid it’s 4/85 and over 20. Letting him walk for that would be monumentally wasteful.

And lol that nobody complained about Siakam deal at first.


he's 6'0" isn't he after the NBA remeasured him. Lowry is 5'11".

we'll see what Masai does. its all speculation right now. if you don't want to read about complaints, i suggest you don't come back until the season starts up again. its the offseason. chill out. people will always complain about anything.
Raptaz
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,690
And1: 1,543
Joined: Jul 02, 2015
         

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#111 » by Raptaz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:32 pm

apparently max raps can offer FVV to keep the max slot open is $80/4 years.
Mehar
Starter
Posts: 2,084
And1: 797
Joined: Apr 23, 2012
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#112 » by Mehar » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:50 pm

To maintain a max slot, Raps cannot pay Fred more than 80 M for 4 years. I would not exceed that amount for Fred. I do see another team offering him more than that. In that case, you thank him for everything and let him walk.
User avatar
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
Posts: 12,242
And1: 11,789
Joined: Jan 22, 2014
     

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#113 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:35 pm

Raptaz wrote:apparently max raps can offer FVV to keep the max slot open is $80/4 years.


thats if they keep their current roster + cap holds.

we mostly know Norm isn't opting into his player option at this rate.

a lot can change by free agency 2021
FreshyFlames
Pro Prospect
Posts: 775
And1: 727
Joined: Feb 29, 2012
         

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#114 » by FreshyFlames » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:24 pm

720 wrote:When does the offseason start? When does the damn draft start? January is only like 9 weeks away.


More like 11 weeks
Raps in 6ix
Kreamy
RealGM
Posts: 14,872
And1: 1,148
Joined: Aug 26, 2001
Location: Toronto
   

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#115 » by Kreamy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:33 pm

From the wiretap.

The Toronto Raptors would like to re-sign Fred VanVleet this offseason while also maintaining enough cap space for a max contract slot in 2021.

The target Toronto is looking to not exceed for VanVleet is a four-year, $80 million deal.

If the Raptors sign VanVleet to a larger number due to interest from rival teams, they would presumably need to shed salary in other areas if they end up signing a max player in 2021.

The Raptors are widely expected to pursue Giannis Antetokounmpo if he becomes a free agent in 2021.

TIM BONTEMPS, BOBBY MARKS/ESPN
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 28,321
And1: 27,715
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#116 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:36 pm

Kreamy wrote:From the wiretap.

The Toronto Raptors would like to re-sign Fred VanVleet this offseason while also maintaining enough cap space for a max contract slot in 2021.

The target Toronto is looking to not exceed for VanVleet is a four-year, $80 million deal.

If the Raptors sign VanVleet to a larger number due to interest from rival teams, they would presumably need to shed salary in other areas if they end up signing a max player in 2021.

The Raptors are widely expected to pursue Giannis Antetokounmpo if he becomes a free agent in 2021.

TIM BONTEMPS, BOBBY MARKS/ESPN


What's the salary cap for 2021 to check that against?

Meh.. I guess that's the target and not make or break point though. Seems the same as most here have been guessing.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
Posts: 23,976
And1: 11,931
Joined: Mar 09, 2004
     

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#117 » by Basketball_Jones » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:36 pm

3D players are a premium unfortunately. I just don’t see McCaw/Davis/Thomas replacing his production ever. Davis being in the doghouse is problematic, but his defense is also something I don’t have high hopes for. What’s the point of size if they can’t even guard as well as 6 foot Freddy
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
Posts: 15,877
And1: 13,406
Joined: Feb 20, 2017

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#118 » by RaptorsNorth » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:36 pm

Mehar wrote:To maintain a max slot, Raps cannot pay Fred more than 80 M for 4 years. I would not exceed that amount for Fred. I do see another team offering him more than that. In that case, you thank him for everything and let him walk.
Knicks will offer him more than that easily!
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
Bankai
RealGM
Posts: 31,616
And1: 25,337
Joined: Oct 16, 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
       

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#119 » by Bankai » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:50 pm

Ill be honest, I think Fred is gone. Masai and Bobby know that they cant offer him a number past a certain point, but I can see someone offering him a bigger deal and Fred taking it. Fred is looking to get paid, situation and City doesent really matter.
Marty_Budda
Junior
Posts: 251
And1: 343
Joined: Aug 06, 2018
     

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#120 » by Marty_Budda » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:12 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:3D players are a premium unfortunately. I just don’t see McCaw/Davis/Thomas replacing his production ever. Davis being in the doghouse is problematic, but his defense is also something I don’t have high hopes for. What’s the point of size if they can’t even guard as well as 6 foot Freddy


What doghouse? TD was an undrafted rookie coming to a championship winning team and played over 70 games at 17mpg...oh and he also got 2nd team all rookie in the process

Also everyone knows most rookies suck on defense. If anything Davis showed some promising signs - he was just naive at times and made silly mistakes which will improve over time and experience. His defensive ceiling is way higher than freddy’s.

Return to Toronto Raptors