ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,759

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#121 » by Basketball_Jones » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:15 pm

Marty_Budda wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:3D players are a premium unfortunately. I just don’t see McCaw/Davis/Thomas replacing his production ever. Davis being in the doghouse is problematic, but his defense is also something I don’t have high hopes for. What’s the point of size if they can’t even guard as well as 6 foot Freddy

What doghouse? TD was an undrafted rookie coming to a championship winning team and played over 70 games at 17mpg...oh and he also got 2nd team all rookie in the process

Also everyone knows most rookies suck on defense. If anything Davis showed some promising signs - he was just naive at times and made silly mistakes which will improve over time and experience. His defensive ceiling is way higher than freddy’s.

Oh you’re right TD was never benched for an inferior McCaw
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,413

Post#122 » by Tha Cynic » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:16 pm

FVV is very much much a replaceable player, if he's close to that number. There are many guards who do what he does at a much better size. He's not worth $20 million per imo, especially with Siakam on the books at max already.

I would rather focus on extending OG.
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,740

Post#123 » by VanWest82 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:18 pm

Marty_Budda wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:3D players are a premium unfortunately. I just don’t see McCaw/Davis/Thomas replacing his production ever. Davis being in the doghouse is problematic, but his defense is also something I don’t have high hopes for. What’s the point of size if they can’t even guard as well as 6 foot Freddy

What doghouse? TD was an undrafted rookie coming to a championship winning team and played over 70 games at 17mpg...oh and he also got 2nd team all rookie in the process

Also everyone knows most rookies suck on defense. If anything Davis showed some promising signs - he was just naive at times and made silly mistakes which will improve over time and experience. His defensive ceiling is way higher than freddy’s.

Fred is already one of the top defensive PGs in the league. Is TD's ceiling DPOY caliber? Cause that's where it'd have to be to be "way higher" than Fred.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,740

Post#124 » by VanWest82 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:20 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:FVV is very much much a replaceable player, if he's close to that number. There are many guards who do what he does at a much better size. He's not worth $20 million per imo, especially with Siakam on the books at max already.

I disagree with this but let's say we do let him walk, who are we replacing him with? Have you looked at the crop of PGs in FA? I can't see anyone available that'd come close to replacing what Fred gave us. Reggie Jackson and Jeff Teague look like the best options.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM

Post#125 » by Basketball_Jones » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:24 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:FVV is very much much a replaceable player, if he's close to that number. There are many guards who do what he does at a much better size. He's not worth $20 million per imo, especially with Siakam on the books at max already.

Shooting wise, sure. But find me a bargain basement guard that defends at an elite level (1st in deflections, 2 steals per game)and gives u 7 assists with near 40 percent from deep in high volume and I’m with you.

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Marty_Budda
Sixth Man
And1: 2,801

Post#126 » by Marty_Budda » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:28 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
Marty_Budda wrote:

Fred is already one of the top defensive PGs in the league. Is TD's ceiling DPOY caliber? Cause that's where it'd have to be to be "way higher" than Fred.

Huh? PG’s better defensively than Freddy in no particular order.
1. Lowry
2. CP3
3. Bledsoe
4. Beverley (overrated defensively but still better than Fred)
5. Brogdon
6. Simmons
7. Ball

No TD doesn’t need to be a dpoy to be better than Freddy defensively. Fred’s defense is limited to guarding guys 6ft 3 and under. The power of switching is an amazing thing and Fred just can’t do it.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,872

Post#127 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:35 pm

Read on Twitter

I'm pretty sure he's gone, unless we trade Powell. I think the latter is more likely.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Post#128 » by Steelo Green » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:36 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
Marty_Budda wrote:

Eh Fred is good not great
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#129 » by Psubs » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:38 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm pretty sure he's gone, unless we trade Powell. I think the latter is more likely.

20-18-20-22 :rockon:
Mattatron
Starter
And1: 1,666

Post#130 » by Mattatron » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:39 pm

Tell me the names of these point guards on this FA... There's no one.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,744

Post#131 » by metafisical » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:41 pm

Oakvillehoops wrote:If we don’t sign FVV, Giannis won’t come lol. His turning point with the bucks will be that they let Brogdon Walk. He will look at this as the same

Really? If the Raptors don't re-sign FVV, Giannis said he will not come to Toronto? Do you have a source for this?

My assumption would be that Giannis would sign (or re-sign?) with the team that has the best chances of winning a championship, while paying him a boatload of money.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM

Post#132 » by Basketball_Jones » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:47 pm

Giannis is going to Miami anyway lol

The real prize is Demar...

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

TheAlchemist
General Manager
And1: 8,235

Post#133 » by TheAlchemist » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:50 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:
Marty_Budda wrote:

Oh you’re right TD was never benched for an inferior McCaw

He was benched for sure.

But it's more a teaching lesson and to make sure he develops adequately on defense, then a "he's unplayable, bench him".

Terrence Davis has the potential to be Jrue Holiday good defensively. He just needs to get the fundamental habits down, because it probably is frustrating af watching him play swiss cheese defense.

Once he's adequate or at least neutral defensively, I can see us developing him as a 3rd option.
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,831

Post#134 » by TravisScott55 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:04 pm

Anything over 72 mil is an overpay.
TR50
General Manager
And1: 1,211

Post#135 » by TR50 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:06 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Read on Twitter

I have a feeling we are going to retain him for something in the 70-80 million range and retain that max slot for 2021.

Just my intuitive, blind faith in Masai and the 'loyalty' of FVV.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#136 » by kalel123 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:47 pm

Steelo Green wrote:
kalel123 wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:Huh?

What fact did I get wrong?

People literally make things up.

I said the Celtics did not sign IT even though many would have given his MVP type season. Damaged goods was known after the fact, he was in the end traded for Kyrie. Everyone was on Ainge for not signing a guy that good.

I don't like signing smaller PGs who have big deficiencies in their offensive game and can be figured out pretty easily and go 10 points below league average efficiency against better defenses.

With regard to assets: Al Horford, Gordon Hayward, Ben Wallace (Chicago signing), Carlos Boozer, Amare Stoudamire, Dwight Howard (Houston), Hedo Turkoglu, Evan Turner, Chandler Parsons, Joakim Noah, Mozgov, Elton Brand, Luol Deng, Penny Hardaway, Rashard Lewis, Eddie Curry

There's more, but I have good and bad players, some in their prime, some just past, some very good players, some mediocre players. GMs have let players go and been fine.

With regard to a guy like Hayward, he was never worth superstar money and the Jazz in the end are better for it, injury or not.

Letting assets go is not the end of the world. Almost none of the teams that let those guys go regretted it.

Make things up? Dude, this is why you get ignored and laughed at because you are often guilty of what you accuse others of.

Trading a player for another equivalent/better player is not letting an asset walk away for nothing. That is a fact. WTF is wrong with you? Wasn't even a sign-and-trade. Thomas wasn't even a FA yet at the time. And the main reason for trade is because who was viewed as potential franchise players at the time became available. It's time to admit you were just speaking outta your ass and move on.

And now you are just spitting bunch of s#!t out there hoping if you throw enough of it, something will stick. Of course, you don't realize most of your examples don't even apply to our situation here.

Gordon Hayward left despite being offered the max from Jazz for example. Jazz had no choice in the matter. That's equivalent to saying we let Bosh walk.

Guys like Al Horford was vastly overpaid, way more than his market value, to leave his former team. Doubt anybody else came even remotely close to what Sixers ended up giving him. Ditto on Turkoglu. That's mostly the reason GM's "let" players walk for nothing because there's a team out there willing to offer way more than anyone else would. Many here including myself are already on the record that we'd rather Van Vleet walk if that kind of situation presented itself. i.e. if a team like Knicks were offering him way more than anybody else was willing to offer. It's just that Brogdon-type money is still within reason in today's market and therefore he'd still definitely be tradeable.

Gotcha so you have nothing and just keep repeating that you have nothing and think that validates you.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2712065-isaiah-thomas-willing-to-delay-contract-extension-to-let-celtics-add-free-agents.amp.html

This is what I was making reference to. They in the end traded him with a year left but didn’t sign him at the time because they weren’t sold. I think everyone else got it except you.

What are you talking about? You’re literally making things up and just parading it as fact lol.

What did I lie about? The Celtics not signing IT because they weren’t sold? This is similar to the Pascal FA. We could have waited a year and made a decision then. They made the right decision. Extensions are extensions whether they are a year early or expiring.

They didn’t extend, right move, in the end, dealt him for Kyrie (in the end not making a difference BUT they didn’t have a terrible IT contract which is why the deal could even happen in the first place).

Bosh and Hayward are nothing alike lol. Hayward was a one time all-star, Bosh a perennial one.

And this is what you don’t get, FVV will be overpaid at 20 million, especially with a cap lowering. You think Fred is worth that, that’s on you, but he’s not and if he gets signed for that or more with us, we will regret it in a few years for sure.

You ignored most of the list and all were either of comparable value to Fred or even better and got similar equated deals.

You said where’s the list, I gave you a pretty long one and even if you disagree on some there are a lot of valid ones.

The only players you regret not signing are stars. Fred isn’t a star.

Howard was a superstar and the Lakers said no and in the end was the right decision.

Look at our own signing of Demarre Carroll. 15 mil and everyone here said that was fair value and he was traded with a first rounder just to get rid of him.

It’s just funny the hubris and hypocrisy with regard to putting down facts and just ignoring them and taking personal shots without reason.

I enjoy this is the state of this place now.

The responses to valid Fred has no playmaking ability, no mid range game, is in the 10th percentile for finishing at the rim, shot 10% lower TS percentage against a good defensive team and when the pressure is on him to be a scorer he becomes fairly mediocre (he was even during the season below average efficiency), who lacks size and for his good D can just be shot over, is I’m talking out of my ass.

Even those who say he stopped Steph make me laugh, the Steph who averaged 30 on 60TS was “stopped” by Fred and Fred has “championship pedigree” as though Kawhi, Kyle, and others weren’t more important in last years finals runs.

What you got? I got numbers and facts. I got all the players who signed elsewhere and the teams didn’t miss a beat.

We are talking about losing FVV. Only players who are truly regretted losing in NBA history are superstars like Lebron or Kawhi.

We are talking of a player likely to never make an all star game to be paid after he was exposed in the playoffs.

But sure, let’s go with your I’m talking out of my ass with legitimate points and your....... What exactly have you said that points to signing Fred with a cap dropping, with the position that is the deepest in the NBA, who will have to move positions where you need a playmaker which unlike Kyle, he is not and will again have to do more with his weaknesses.

“Where’s your list” - expansive list for you. And many of which are actually similar to Fred.

Your franchise won’t be made or broken by Fred.

You are making long-winded posts in an attempt to hide your errors.

It's really simple. FVV is a FA and we are talking about an idea that it's not a great idea to let your assets walk away for nothing unless you have to vastly overpay. Meaning you get nothing back in return.

Then in trying to argue against this, you brought up Isiah Thomas saying Ainge let Isiah Thomas walk, which is factually inaccurate.

Isiah Thomas was not a FA. Isiah Thomas was traded for another asset in return. He didn't walk away, he got traded, and he got traded for who was viewed as an overall better player at the time: injury or no injury. These are facts that are indisputable. Everything else you posted is noise and smoke you are spewing to avoid the problem at hand. And the facts make two situations simply incomparable. It's irrelevant whether or not Celtics gave Thomas an extension because that's not when they had to decide how much Thomas's contract would be worth or if it'd even be worth it to keep him. Teams still can and have retained a FA even after they didn't sign him to an extension in the past. The time to decide would have been when he actually became free agent like Van Vleet is now but Celtics traded him BEFORE the time came for them to decide because better player became available. Another set of facts that make the two situations incomparable. If you are trying to argue if not for the trade, Ainge was going to let Isiah Thomas walk for nothing, well, that's just your opinion, which will never be proven.

As to all those random names you threw at the wall, I didn't address most of them because your attempt is pathetic. You still won't acknowledge your errors with Isiah Thomas example knowingly or unknowingly. And now you are attempting to change the subject and/or dilute the argument by throwing random names out there hoping some of them would stick. Well, it's not my responsibility to dissect every one of them and frankly, not worth my time. You brought them up, you give them context if you want them addressed. I've already proven 3 names that's not nearly comparable earlier and will give you one more below in Howard:

Again, take Hayward for example. Jazz offered him the max and he still walked away. That's him leaving, not Jazz letting him walk. My comparison to Bosh was in that regard. Would you say we let him walk despite the fact that we offered him the MAX and him still going to Heat? Do you even think for a second before you start spewing garbage all over your keyboard and the monitor with your fingers?

Same thing with Howard. Lakers offered more money and security and he still left for Rockets because he had a falling out. How is that Lakers letting him walk? I usually don't do this but here you go

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-xpm-2013-jul-05-la-sp-0706-rockets-dwight-howard-20130706-story.html#:~:text=Dwight%20Howard%20has%20agreed%20to,his%20back%20on%20the%20Lakers.

Howard declined a five-year, $118-million contract offer from the Lakers to accept a four-year, $88-million deal with the Rockets, his third team in an 11-month period.

Again, these are facts that are undisputable. You can't expect people to take your opinions seriously when there are factual holes all over your argument.

Yeah, there are players that were allowed to walk because original teams weren't willing to match the contracts they are getting. But that's a moot point to argue because it wasn't for lack of trying and most everyone already agree that there's a number out there where it's not worth it for the Raptors. It's just what that number is that's disagreed. Your problem is in trying to argue your point, whatever that may be, your are using examples that are factually inaccurate.
Darkseid
Analyst
And1: 3,392

Post#137 » by Darkseid » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:48 pm

I wouldn't sign him if he screws up our 2021 max slot.
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,505

Post#138 » by RaptorPride » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:42 pm

The thing is keeping our culture going. So when new players come in we have players that have been here and can show them how things are done here. I think this will play a big reason for bringing Fred back. He has learned a lot from Kyle and we need someone like that going forward.
Spoiler:

RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,505

Post#139 » by RaptorPride » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:44 pm

TR50 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
Read on Twitter

I have a feeling we are going to retain him for something in the 70-80 million range and retain that max slot for 2021.

Just my intuitive, blind faith in Masai and the 'loyalty' of FVV.

Same here since we can always find someone to take him in a trade. I think people around the league value our players well now compared to how we think. We would want to keep him to keep our culture going when new players arrive here. If we bring in all new faces we also risk losing the culture we have built.
Spoiler:

Sandman88
Head Coach
And1: 6,527

Post#140 » by Sandman88 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:21 pm

bluerap23 wrote:
Ackshun wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:
He struggled shooting but overall his numbers certainly don’t qualify as crapping the bed. Maybe you’re thinking of Siakam

19ppg on 17 shots for both rounds.

47-135 in the Boston series for a whopping 35%. Dont care whatever advanced stats get thrown at me here. When you shoot the ball that much, and fail that many times, you have shat the bed.

And yes, more than one player can **** the bed.

Also in the words of Bargani, its basketball. Not rebound ball. Or PER ball. Or VORP ball.

Lol. Ok. Seriously. That's a lot of money.

So basically you are saying he shat the bed based on his shooting percentage in one playoff series. Go check Kemba’s numbers with FVV guarding him.

We don’t win the chip with out him. Period.

There are not many high leverage 3/D role players out there that can deliver the way he has.

Makes me so sad that our own fan base cannot appreciate what we have.

Pipe down man - I’m sure a lot of Raptors fans want everyone from the championship squad to stay and to huddle around a camp fire and sing koombaya but Fred is a 5’11 guard who can only shoot and play defense. He’s not a playmaker or someone who can get to the rim and draw fouls. He is replaceable will command way too much. We have an opportunity to be a better team than last year and throwing the brinks truck at Fred ain’t it

Return to Toronto Raptors