ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,572

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#161 » by bluerap23 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:00 pm

raptorstime wrote:
NUCKER101 wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:So next offseason I have Raps salaries at approx. 77 mil after extending OG upwards of 15 mil and having Fred locked up at 22/. That means there is 32 mil for a max slot. After that we have the MLE, BAE, Vet min and we can go over the cap to resign Lowry and Ibaka. That means we better have two picks this year and two next for 4 minimum salaries. I did not include Watson in this because they may not be able to afford him at Matt Thomas money. Norm won't go for the MLE so looks like g'bye.

You think Serge will take a 1 year deal? That would be nice but I doubt it

I can see Serge getting a 3 year deal from another team.

I can see us giving Serge a massive overpay on 1 year which will help him earn more in the long run. There will be a tonne of Cap space next off season.

If Fred leaves I will be interested to see if we offer Serge a multi year deal.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,088

Post#162 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:54 pm

redeye514 wrote:This whole thread reads like a bunch of millennials crying about not being able to afford houses.

“That house went for way more than it’s worth!”

“Ha, that guy overpaid by a $100k, stupid sucka”

Meanwhile, they sit in their parents basement bragging to their friends about how ahead of the game they are in one breath, and crying about not having nice things in the other.

Bottom line, FVV is worth what the market says he’s worth, and Masai will decide if he wants to buy it... I believe he will, because unlike some of the short sighted posters in this thread, he understands the true value of a guy like FVV.

I actually have sympathy for those poor bastard millennials who want to buy a house in Toronto. The first thing you learn in house buying here is that there's no such thing as "fair" market value. Houses sell for what the biggest idiot is willing to pay. And so do NBA players, especially in a league with desperate teams like the Pistons or Knicks.

A winning team in a cap-oriented league sometimes has to pay a player what he's worth, but mainly succeeds through having a lot of players outplaying their contracts. Raptors have benefited from having Fred and Pascal playing for relative peanuts. But once a player is in a position demand as much or more than what they're worth, a team really has to pause and figure out if there is a better use for the same amount of cash. An overpaid player - even short of Tobias Harris level overpayment - cannot be traded for value without attaching draft picks. OTOH, in dealing with DeMar, Kyle and Serge here and Nene back in Denver, Masai doesn't seem to much care if a player is overpaid or not, as long as they fit into the team. He hates to lose assets. And Fred plays with the sort of quiet confidence that coaches and teams loves, so I think he and whatever contract would always be tradeable.

The longer the Covid crisis drags out. it's looking like this next season is going to be a bit of a write-off. It's hard to imagine the cap staying frozen at $109 mill or so. The players will have to give a little. So we might even see a scenario where Fred comes back on a one year deal, and punts until next year when contenders have cap space.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,877

Post#163 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:54 am

bluerap23 wrote:
raptorstime wrote:
NUCKER101 wrote:

I can see us giving Serge a massive overpay on 1 year which will help him earn more in the long run. There will be a tonne of Cap space next off season.

If Fred leaves I will be interested to see if we offer Serge a multi year deal.

Fred is not leaving. Serge for big one year deal or he goes...
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#164 » by casual_raps_fan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:18 am

raptorstime wrote:
NUCKER101 wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:So next offseason I have Raps salaries at approx. 77 mil after extending OG upwards of 15 mil and having Fred locked up at 22/. That means there is 32 mil for a max slot. After that we have the MLE, BAE, Vet min and we can go over the cap to resign Lowry and Ibaka. That means we better have two picks this year and two next for 4 minimum salaries. I did not include Watson in this because they may not be able to afford him at Matt Thomas money. Norm won't go for the MLE so looks like g'bye.

Which teams are you thinking might offer Serge a 3 year deal?
Berserk_Raptor
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,744

Post#165 » by Berserk_Raptor » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:26 am

So, when are we going to know Fred's decision?
@raptor21_85
TRex520
Senior
And1: 366

Post#166 » by TRex520 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:10 am

If the reports are true, FVV getting Brogdon's $ (20mil) and LAC wants a point guard.... This may be a pipedream, but I will do an S&T with FVV for Lou Will, Kabengele and one of Jalmychal Green/Rodney McGruder. I know some of you may be pissed for Lou Will, but he is the offense catalyst that we need with the cost of 8mil. He is also expiring so that keep our 20-21 summer money available (Hi Giannis). Kabengele, yes hometown talent, but also a good cheap option as Serge's replacement. Same for Green and McGruder, good 3&D options misused by the clippers.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#167 » by Psubs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:36 am

casual_raps_fan wrote:
raptorstime wrote:
NUCKER101 wrote:

Which teams are you thinking might offer Serge a 3 year deal?

The Knicks and Pistons. :D
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,498
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#168 » by SharoneWright » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:43 am

Basketball_Jones wrote:Are the Knicks crazy enough to give him 25/100? Let’s hope there’s no bidding war here

I think we can outbid 25 years for 100 bucks.... :falloff:
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,498
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#169 » by SharoneWright » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:45 am

I was nervous all year about Pascal hitting that bonus,, ya'll might even remember my neurosis. ugh.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#170 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:13 am

TRex520 wrote:If the reports are true, FVV getting Brogdon's $ (20mil) and LAC wants a point guard.... This may be a pipedream, but I will do an S&T with FVV for Lou Will, Kabengele and one of Jalmychal Green/Rodney McGruder. I know some of you may be pissed for Lou Will, but he is the offense catalyst that we need with the cost of 8mil. He is also expiring so that keep our 20-21 summer money available (Hi Giannis). Kabengele, yes hometown talent, but also a good cheap option as Serge's replacement. Same for Green and McGruder, good 3&D options misused by the clippers.

Masai is just dying to bring back old Lou Wil. But McGruder really seals the deal. Are you Clippers fan? By chancce? Fred stays because Ujiri and Bobby want him to end of story.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#171 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:15 am

Gong show bringing back Lou Wil.
Berserk_Raptor
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,744

Post#172 » by Berserk_Raptor » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:17 pm

This is rare, free agency has already started and we dont have news, in the past, as soon as FA begins we had a lot of posts of players signing with teams... how do we know if Fred is having meetings with other teams? when are we going to know his decision?
@raptor21_85
MikeG
Junior
And1: 404

Post#173 » by MikeG » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:16 pm

Berserk_Raptor wrote:This is rare, free agency has already started and we dont have news, in the past, as soon as FA begins we had a lot of posts of players signing with teams... how do we know if Fred is having meetings with other teams? when are we going to know his decision?

Free agency hasn't started yet my guy
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,159

Post#174 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:30 pm

Berserk_Raptor wrote:This is rare, free agency has already started and we dont have news, in the past, as soon as FA begins we had a lot of posts of players signing with teams... how do we know if Fred is having meetings with other teams? when are we going to know his decision?

starts after the draft.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,281

Post#175 » by ciueli » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:35 pm

dacrusha wrote:$20 million for a player who is sure to be an all star in the very near future is a steal.

Here is list of guys clearly ahead of Fred for All-Star in the East:

Ben Simmons
Trae Young
Kemba Walker
Kyrie Irving
Kyle Lowry

And that's without even considering a guy like Victor Oladipo who is looking to get back to where he was pre injury, or maybe Malcom Brogdon having a breakout year.

Then realize that there can be as little as 5 total guard spots in a year, the 2020 the All-Star East guard rotation was Kemba Walker, Trae Young, Kyle Lowry, Ben Simmons, and Jimmy Butler. With Kyrie Irving and Victor Oladipo coming back there will be added competition for spots.
Nocturne
Analyst
And1: 2,401

Post#176 » by Nocturne » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:04 pm

TRex520 wrote:If the reports are true, FVV getting Brogdon's $ (20mil) and LAC wants a point guard.... This may be a pipedream, but I will do an S&T with FVV for Lou Will, Kabengele and one of Jalmychal Green/Rodney McGruder. I know some of you may be pissed for Lou Will, but he is the offense catalyst that we need with the cost of 8mil. He is also expiring so that keep our 20-21 summer money available (Hi Giannis). Kabengele, yes hometown talent, but also a good cheap option as Serge's replacement. Same for Green and McGruder, good 3&D options misused by the clippers.

Wasn't there rumours that Kawhi and FVV had some issues during our championship year that came out at the end of the season? Not sure if FVV is the point guard that Kawhi is looking for.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,786

Post#177 » by Lord_Zedd » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:32 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30155889/nba-free-agency-trade-debate-intriguing-teams-top-targets-bold-predictions

1. Which free agent do you find most intriguing?

Tim Bontemps: Fred VanVleet is the best unrestricted free agent who could change teams this offseason. He could help Phoenix or Atlanta take a significant leap forward. But if Toronto can keep him at a price that preserves cap space, it will strengthen the Raptors' case for a max player to join VanVleet, Pascal Siakam and OG Anunoby next offseason.

Royce Young: VanVleet is likely due a big payday, and there are whispers of potential max-level offers lurking. With a market pretty dry on guards, VanVleet could be the prize target.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,823

Post#178 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:35 pm

Lord_Zedd wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30155889/nba-free-agency-trade-debate-intriguing-teams-top-targets-bold-predictions

Tim Bontemps: Fred VanVleet is the best unrestricted free agent who could change teams this offseason. He could help Phoenix or Atlanta take a significant leap forward. But if Toronto can keep him at a price that preserves cap space, it will strengthen the Raptors' case for a max player to join VanVleet, Pascal Siakam and OG Anunoby next offseason.

Royce Young: VanVleet is likely due a big payday, and there are whispers of potential max-level offers lurking. With a market pretty dry on guards, VanVleet could be the prize target.

See ya Freddy.

Also the Athletic linked FVV to the Pistons today. Seems like Pistons, Knicks, Suns, and Hawks will be the biggest threats to luring FVV away from us.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Ramed Nazored
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,450

Post#179 » by Ramed Nazored » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:37 am

Not a fan of this at all.

Lou Will is an immense liability on the defensive end. No thanks. The other players do nothing to tip the scale either way.

The Clippers would be all over this scenario.
Ramed Nazored
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,450

Post#180 » by Ramed Nazored » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:38 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Lord_Zedd wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30155889/nba-free-agency-trade-debate-intriguing-teams-top-targets-bold-predictions

See ya Freddy.

Also the Athletic linked FVV to the Pistons today. Seems like Pistons, Knicks, Suns, and Hawks will be the biggest threats to luring FVV away from us.

The max contract is just nuts to me. If he get’s that money, hats off to him and farewell.

Return to Toronto Raptors