ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: If you could.. would you?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DAcReator
Junior
And1: 520

OT: If you could.. would you? 

Post#1 » by DAcReator » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:03 am

I’m watching this presidential debate and at one point I was thinking about the income tax, specifically US vs Canada etc.

In regards to Toronto and our beloved raptors, our players income tax contribute significantly to our government and ultimately us (our health care, public schools etc.) But it got me thinking, as selfish and passionate fans if you had the chance to allow these players not to be taxed in order to substantially increase the allure of playing for our city would you do it? Maybe this answer isn’t as difficult as I think but just wondering what the consensus is?
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,940

Re: OT: If you could.. would you? 

Post#2 » by Kevin Willis » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:14 am

Would they pay more than $750?
Ska needs to make a comeback.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,152

Post#3 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:22 am

DAcReator wrote:I’m watching this presidential debate and at one point I was thinking about the income tax, specifically US vs Canada etc.

In regards to Toronto and our beloved raptors, our players income tax contribute significantly to our government and ultimately us (our health care, public schools etc.) But it got me thinking, as selfish and passionate fans if you had the chance to allow these players not to be taxed in order to substantially increase the allure of playing for our city would you do it? Maybe this answer isn’t as difficult as I think but just wondering what the consensus is?

you gotta do more than that. i think the biggest thing is passport control and having to go through customs everytime.

if the method to travel back to Toronto is easy it would be a bigger selling point (and family etc)

obviously if you eliminate income tax or decrease it significantly, it helps.

now back to the debate: is it me or Trump has to get the last word every single time. Trump says something, Biden responds to it. Trump HAS to say something because he couldn't cover it in his initial point, which obviously leads to the next point of having Biden to respond to a tangent Trump says lol. this really are two old men yelling at clouds.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,426

Post#4 » by KL78192020 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:33 am

DAcReator wrote:I’m watching this presidential debate and at one point I was thinking about the income tax, specifically US vs Canada etc.

High tax states like NY and Cali aren't much different than Canada. Plus $100 millions usd is like $135 million cnd. Other than texas/florida and a few other state the US isn't that much better.
DAcReator
Junior

Post#5 » by DAcReator » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:38 am

KL78192020 wrote:

High tax states like NY and Cali aren't much different than Canada. Plus $100 millions usd is like $135 million cnd. Other than texas/florida and a few other state the US isn't that much better.

That’s true. But the fact is, they are in the US and we are in Cananda. The fact that we aren’t much different is a huge disadvantage for us. If we had significantly lower/no income tax that would become a major major selling point.
KL78192020
RealGM

Post#6 » by KL78192020 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:40 am

DAcReator wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:

That’s true. But the fact is, they are in the US and we are in Cananda. The fact that we aren’t much different is a huge disadvantage for us. If we had significantly lower/no income tax that would become a major major selling point.

lol there is absolutely no reason to lower taxes to lure athletes, that ridiculous.
DAcReator
Junior

Post#7 » by DAcReator » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:46 am

KL78192020 wrote:
DAcReator wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:

lol there is absolutely no reason to lower taxes to lure athletes, that ridiculous.

If you are arguing that substantially lowering taxes for athletes in a hypothetical world wouldn’t attract more players than I strongly disagree with you.
KL78192020
RealGM

Post#8 » by KL78192020 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:58 am

DAcReator wrote:
KL78192020 wrote:
DAcReator wrote:

If you are arguing that substantially lowering taxes for athletes in a hypothetical world wouldn’t attract more players than I strongly disagree with you.

no im saying its a stupid idea.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#9 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:03 am

No, it wouldn't be fair. It's not what Canada stands for.

And the tax issue is complicated. This has been the subject of informed conversation many times on this board over the years. IIRC, professional athletes are only taxed on the days they "work" in Canada - i.e. game days. And their Canadian tax liability is deducted from their American tax liability by tax treaty. We're only talking about this because of one ill-informed agent spouting off in that Athletic piece.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,873

Post#10 » by deeps6x » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:12 am

Here are a few tidbits of info that might make you want to re-think your beliefs about income tax.

First of all, as you are aware, there is a massive wealth gap forming between the rich and the poor in Canada and the US.

The average American makes less than $35,000 per year.

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/goodbye-middle-class-half-all-american-workers-made-less-3424845-last-year

1/4 of all American jobs pay below the poverty line.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-01-30/quarter-jobs-america-pay-below-federal-poverty-line

The ten richest Americans own more than the 165 million poorest Americans.

The four richest Americans own more than the bottom 3.5 billion people on the planet. This kind of illustrates how much better off the poorest half of America is than the poorest half of the rest of the world.

If you live in America and make more than $300,000 per year, you are officially part of the 1% club.
If you make more than $500,000 per year, you are part of the 0.1% club.
If you make more than $1.5 million per year, you are part of the 0.01% club. If you are a professional NBA basketball player, you are automatically in this super elite club.
If you make more than $4 million per year, you are part of the 0.001% club.
If you make more than $20 million per year, you are part of the 0.0001% club. FWIW, there are ONLY 1,237 people in America that made this much money last year.
https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/netcomp.cgi?year=2019

Now, please tell me again, do you really feel the need to let some of the richest people in the world get out of paying their fair share of taxes?

Do you really think any of the MAX players in the NBA, who all belong to the 1200 highest incomes in all of America club, really need a tax break?
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,001

Post#11 » by kalel123 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:33 am

As someone said, I'd rather they make it easier to get in and out of Toronto for these athletes going to and from games. At least make it easier for Raptors only who regularly have to take the trips.

I don't know enough details about taxes to really have an opinion... if we are meaningfully higher than every other city, maybe, but if it is indeed comparable to NY or LA, don't think they should get a significant cut there.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,388

Post#12 » by SFour » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:35 am

I'm leaning towards no, even though I want the Raptors to have every possible advantage it's very unfair to let extremely rich people completely bypass their taxes...they already make a mind-blowing amount of money.

The tax issue for NBA players in Canada is overblown....NY and Cali have high taxes yet they're touted as places where big name free agents are dying to go.
Inklink
RealGM
And1: 19,213

Post#13 » by Inklink » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:53 am

Nope, I don't want players that whine about customs, taxes or weather while making ridiculous amounts of money to represent my city's basketball team.
For lease.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,662

Post#14 » by Zeno » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:12 am

I want the NBA to have a sliding cap and luxury tax to accommodate the difference between taxes in markets. It isn’t that hard really. Make every contract a percentage of the cap so if a player gets traded the make the same equivalent amount after taxes. But definitely don’t be giving these guys a tax break.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,741

Post#15 » by Badonkadonk » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:14 am

No. Absolutely not.
random_hero891
Rookie
And1: 810

Post#16 » by random_hero891 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:26 am

I don't mind paying taxes, I understand why I do, what irritates me is when rich people don't pay taxes.
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,254

Post#17 » by SurgeIblocka » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:10 am

I think if Global warming can increase the temps in Canada that would be more of an impact. The customs issue is major and I don’t understand why the Canadian govt hasn’t made it easier for athletes? Hire more staff and have them dedicated to only professional athletes. Do prescreen in the US, so players spend minimal time in customs here. They should at the very least get something like a nexus card which speeds up the process. Just mind boggling why this issue hasn’t been resolved after all these years.

Return to Toronto Raptors