ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 29th Pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors Select: Malachi Flynn

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Re: With the 29th Pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors Select: Malachi Flynn 

Post#421 » by brownbobcat » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:50 pm

YoungD23 wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:
YoungD23 wrote:Be honest...look at that roster. Lol. You can't tell me that we don't have a lot of work to do. This roster has treadmill written all over it.

We've been so spoiled in the Masai era.

Is this squad a championship contender? No. But give them a chance to re-pivot and build the next foundation before complaining about a treadmill. Half the league doesn't make the playoffs and most of the other half finish their season with a loss. There's nothing wrong with making the playoffs consistently.

I'm not saying I'm not giving them a chance. This was my reaction to someone mentioning that "its a pretty damn good team". Anyone that looks at this roster knows that we are not that good at this point...

I suppose that's all relative. I think they can win 50 games, which is good enough for me considering that they're retooling.
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Re: With the 29th Pick in the 2020 NBA Draft the Toronto Raptors Select: Malachi Flynn 

Post#422 » by everdiso » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:10 am

TheAlchemist wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:
YoungD23 wrote:Be honest...look at that roster. Lol. You can't tell me that we don't have a lot of work to do. This roster has treadmill written all over it.

We've been so spoiled in the Masai era.

Is this squad a championship contender? No. But give them a chance to re-pivot and build the next foundation before complaining about a treadmill. Half the league doesn't make the playoffs and most of the other half finish their season with a loss. There's nothing wrong with making the playoffs consistently.

This is by far the weakest Roster since the original roster in the we the north era (2013-14)

Kyle lowry (13) > Kyle Lowry (current)
Demar Derozan (13) > Fred Van Vleet (current)
TRoss (13) < OG (current)
Amir Johnson < Siakam (current
Jonas > Baynes

Grevis Vasquez < Powell
Chuck Hayes > Alex Len
John Salmons > Thomas

.. What makes our roster worst though is that the quality of the east is perhaps the best in the last decade.

13/14 team vs. This year's team with last year's stats

Average of RPM / BPM / PIPM / RAPTOR

Lowry '14: 4.5 ------ Lowry '20: 4.0
Amir '14: 1.8 --------- Siakam '20: 2.2
Demar '14: 0.6 ----- Fred '20: 2.1
Ross '14: -0.2 ------- OG '20: 0.8
Jonas '14: -1.1 ------ Baynes '20: -0.5

PPat '14: 0.9 ---------- Norm '20: 1.2
Vazquez '14: 0.4 ---- Davis '20: 1.1
Hayes '14: -0.2 ------ Boucher '20: 1.9
Fields '14: -0.9 ------- Thomas '20: 0.3
Hansbro '14: -1.6 --- Len '20: -0.4
Salmons '14: -2.0 --- Bembry '20: -2.9

Its not even close, really.

This team is far far better than that team.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
Rapsfan81
Freshman
And1: 73

Post#423 » by Rapsfan81 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:23 am

everdiso wrote:
TheAlchemist wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:We've been so spoiled in the Masai era.

This is by far the weakest Roster since the original roster in the we the north era (2013-14)

Kyle lowry (13) > Kyle Lowry (current)
Demar Derozan (13) > Fred Van Vleet (current)
TRoss (13) < OG (current)
Amir Johnson < Siakam (current
Jonas > Baynes

Grevis Vasquez < Powell
Chuck Hayes > Alex Len
John Salmons > Thomas

.. What makes our roster worst though is that the quality of the east is perhaps the best in the last decade.

13/14 team vs. This year's team with last year's stats

Average of RPM / BPM / PIPM / RAPTOR

Lowry '14: 4.5 ------ Lowry '20: 4.0
Amir '14: 1.8 --------- Siakam '20: 2.2
Demar '14: 0.6 ----- Fred '20: 2.1
Ross '14: -0.2 ------- OG '20: 0.8
Jonas '14: -1.1 ------ Baynes '20: -0.5

PPat '14: 0.9 ---------- Norm '20: 1.2
Vazquez '14: 0.4 ---- Davis '20: 1.1
Hayes '14: -0.2 ------ Boucher '20: 1.9
Fields '14: -0.9 ------- Thomas '20: 0.3
Hansbro '14: -1.6 --- Len '20: -0.4
Salmons '14: -2.0 --- Bembry '20: -2.9

Its not even close, really.

This team is far far better than that team.

Yea but that’s Only if you look at facts
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,889

Post#424 » by deeps6x » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:19 pm

I hope Flynn gets a ton of minutes today.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,627

Post#425 » by Bruin » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:24 pm

deeps6x wrote:I hope Flynn gets a ton of minutes today.

With Kyle not playing, Flynn should get a good opportunity to show his goods. Basically the backup PG with Fred taking over the starting position. And we know in preseason games starters usually get around 20 minutes
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,638

Post#426 » by Psubs » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:51 am

execoftheyear wrote:
Psubs wrote:
execoftheyear wrote:

I was hyped from the limited highlights until I came across this video. I now see the Patty Mills comparisons. The man is not afraid to shoot but isn't really a lights out shooter and he's not very good at finishing at the rim. There were quite a few airballs in these highlights and a ton of bricks that were way off, not really encouraging. If he can't make those shots at a respectable rate at the NBA level, he might just end up being an inefficient chucker. I really hope I'm wrong. Right now, Payton Pritchard looks like the better prospect imo, was really hoping he'd fall to us.

Patty Mills is a small SG.

Flynn is the #1 option, so he had to shoot more, but can run an offense and is 1 of the best P&R PG's.

Pritchard might be a better shooter but Flynn seems able to do more things on offense.

Fair enough but some of these shots are flat out awful. He shoots a lot of stand still shots with a hand in his face but I guess shot selection can be corrected and shooting can be improved. I do like his ability to knife his way into the paint off the pick and roll though, he seems to be really good at splitting the defense. I still think Pritchard is the better ball handler though and the better overall player.

Revision?

Pritchard is more of the SG. He didn't really create for others effectively. He scored 12 of his 16 in garbage time in the 4th. During the 1st half, Pritchard's shot selection was terrible shooting from Trae range.

He's like Carlos Arroyo that can shot 3's. He doesn't have lateral quicks and the 76ers put Kormaz on him and it was okay. Kormaz was able to drive by Pritchard and Shake Milton got whatever he wanted when Pritchard was on him.
___Rand___
General Manager
And1: 9,814

Post#427 » by ___Rand___ » Tue Jan 2, 2024 8:23 pm

With this Knicks trade, I think this is where Flynn's NBA career goes to die. His first game was street clothes. I don't see Knicks re-signing him after this season as they have plenty of guards. He's going to drift around the league for a bit (maybe), then overseas is my guess. I was hopeful for him initially, but it's taken him too long for the light bulb to come on. Best wishes Malachi.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#428 » by hyper316 » Tue Jan 2, 2024 10:10 pm

___Rand___ wrote:With this Knicks trade, I think this is where Flynn's NBA career goes to die. His first game was street clothes. I don't see Knicks re-signing him after this season as they have plenty of guards. He's going to drift around the league for a bit (maybe), then overseas is my guess. I was hopeful for him initially, but it's taken him too long for the light bulb to come on. Best wishes Malachi.

That's why Masai is crazy to hold on to Flynn this long. Flynn is a sunk cost and wasted development time/roster spot that another player could have showcased something (Dowtin jr)

Return to Toronto Raptors