ImageImageImageImageImage

OG extension now or RFA match 2021

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Re: OG extension now or RFA match 2021 

Post#21 » by J-Roc » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:30 am

Thought this would be the obvious pivot.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,781

Post#22 » by VanWest82 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:32 am

Yes you extend now assuming the number is reasonable.
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,223

Post#23 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:33 am

extend now if can agree on a bargain contract.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,846

Post#24 » by Zeno » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:38 am

AkelaLoneWolf wrote:extend now if can agree on a bargain contract.

Define what you think that means. Grant got 20 million per. I think 4 years 80 is the minimum he’d take as shockingly he might get max next summer. Maybe you can get a bit less if you give him a player option but I’d try to avoid that at all costs. So is that a bargain?
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Post#25 » by anotherhomer » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:42 am

If paid him more than fvv, that will be a problem.

4 yr/72M is reasonable
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM

Post#26 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:49 am

Zeno wrote:

Define what you think that means. Grant got 20 million per. I think 4 years 80 is the minimum he’d take as shockingly he might get max next summer. Maybe you can get a bit less if you give him a player option but I’d try to avoid that at all costs. So is that a bargain?

unless he makes a couple of jumps from where he's at, he's not going to get the max. i could see some desperate team offer him 20M per year if they flake out in free agency. if i could get him at 15M per year, i would re-sign him. as a very good 3 + d player who shows up in the playoffs he is worth at least that. if his agent uses, jerami grant as a baseline, it might be better to wait. i don't think grant lives up to that contract though.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,893

Post#27 » by Kingsway_fan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:50 am

Wait. No rush... lets see what we got first....
vbmeer
Pro Prospect
And1: 735

Post#28 » by vbmeer » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:54 am

Klutch Sports + FVV contract + Jerami Grant contract + key positional scarcity in the market = 21 million+ a year for 4 years
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,846

Post#29 » by Zeno » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:55 am

AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
Zeno wrote:

unless he makes a couple of jumps from where he's at, he's not going to get the max. i could see some desperate team offer him 20M per year if they flake out in free agency. if i could get him at 15M per year, i would re-sign him. as a very good 3 + d player who shows up in the playoffs he is worth at least that. if his agent uses, jerami grant as a baseline, it might be better to wait. i don't think grant lives up to that contract though.

OG is a better defender than Grant. A better shooter than Grant. Plus he’s young. Denver was willing to match the contract and this was a tight capspace market. Next summer won’t be. I’d offer him 4 years 80 and throw in incentives if he makes an all defense team which I bet he will. I think he gets 20 million per even if he just duplicates last season showing not improvement.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM

Post#30 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:00 am

Zeno wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
Zeno wrote:Define what you think that means. Grant got 20 million per. I think 4 years 80 is the minimum he’d take as shockingly he might get max next summer. Maybe you can get a bit less if you give him a player option but I’d try to avoid that at all costs. So is that a bargain?

OG is a better defender than Grant. A better shooter than Grant. Plus he’s young. Denver was willing to match the contract and this was a tight capspace market. Next summer won’t be. I’d offer him 4 years 80 and throw in incentives if he makes an all defense team which I bet he will. I think he gets 20 million per even if he just duplicates last season showing not improvement.

that's fine. my only hesitation would be locking up role players, even if good ones, can diminish flexibility to acquire all stars and superstars.
sidsid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,240

Post#31 » by sidsid » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:37 am

Zeno wrote:

He's already a more impactful player than FVV in the playoffs, with the size/athleticism that everyone is looking for, has a better toolset than Grant, and a guy like Bertans got 18 mil.

Magic number would be 18, but his agent almost certainly wouldn't let him make less than Grant. You take him at 20 mil as the money sloshing around next offseason probably sees an offer around 25 mil.

You take your chances now and bet on his improvement making that contract a bargain. It's high end role player money, but unlike the FVV contract, it's locked in to a player type and skillset that every team desires with room to grow.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#32 » by MixxSRC » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:38 am

Masai will extend him
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,429

Post#33 » by Tha Cynic » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:43 am

The Raptors will extend him, and then flip either FVV or Siakam in a big trade.

I wouldn't be surprised if Masai goes really hard at Harden, now with Giannis off the market, but of course he would need to want to come here. Masai is most likely going to take care of his better players and then look to pounce when the time is right.
Kobe Bryant: “You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
dhackett1565
Sixth Man
And1: 1,684
Location: Pessimist central, wondering how I got here, unable to find my way out.

Post#34 » by dhackett1565 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:48 am

It depends on what OG would accept. If you can lock him in at 20M or lower, sure. I don't know that he accepts that, there's going to be an ocean of cap room next year and all it takes is one team to offer him the 25% max. I imagine his extension price is above 20M, somewhere below 24M, but not by much. Might be more worthwhile to make him prove he has a market above that next summer.
Alfred re: Coach Mitchell - "My doctor botched my surgury and sewed my hand to my head, but I can't really comment on that, because I'm not a doctor, and thus he is above my criticism."
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM

Post#35 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:48 am

Tha Cynic wrote:The Raptors will extend him, and then flip either FVV or Siakam in a big trade.

I wouldn't be surprised if Masai goes really hard at Harden, now with Giannis off the market, but of course he would need to want to come here. Masai is most likely going to take care of his better players and then look to pounce when the time is right.

he could just make a godfather offer and give up siakam as doesn't look like anyone is giving up anything more than a poo-poo platter. alternatively, we could wait until FVV is tradeable and then make a move then.
sidsid
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by sidsid » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:57 am

dhackett1565 wrote:It depends on what OG would accept. If you can lock him in at 20M or lower, sure. I don't know that he accepts that, there's going to be an ocean of cap room next year and all it takes is one team to offer him the 25% max. I imagine his extension price is above 20M, somewhere below 24M, but not by much. Might be more worthwhile to make him prove he has a market above that next summer.

For extensions the tradeoff for a player is to take less in order to mitigate against a potential injury.

I would still set the ceiling around 20 mil. Maybe match FVVs contract at the most. Anything more and the incentives to keep cap space and his cap hold start making more sense just as an option for the offseason.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,588

Post#37 » by mdenny » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:07 am

WE DON'T NEED TO CARE ABOUT HOW MUCH MONEY OG MAKES. HE HAS A CAP HOLD.

Getting him at a bargain does only one thing....it saves money for MLSE. There is no reason any fan needs to worry about his contract size (like we did Fred) as long as we wait til next off-season and re-up him after signing free agents first. (If I understand correctly)
sidsid
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by sidsid » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:12 am

mdenny wrote:WE DON'T NEED TO CARE ABOUT HOW MUCH MONEY OG MAKES. HE HAS A CAP HOLD.

Getting him at a bargain does only one thing....it saves money for MLSE. There is no reason any fan needs to worry about his contract size (like we did Fred) as long as we wait til next off-season and re-up him after signing free agents first. (If I understand correctly)

There's still value in getting a player at par or below market value for cap considerations.

In the extreme example, GSW locking up Steph to that crazy long 11 mil contract before he blew up enabled them to get Durant and extend their run.

That's the value now that there isn't a clear goal for the cap space this offseason with Giannis gone. A good contract also brings back better assets in a trade.
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#39 » by mdenny » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:14 am

dhackett1565 wrote:It depends on what OG would accept. If you can lock him in at 20M or lower, sure. I don't know that he accepts that, there's going to be an ocean of cap room next year and all it takes is one team to offer him the 25% max. I imagine his extension price is above 20M, somewhere below 24M, but not by much. Might be more worthwhile to make him prove he has a market above that next summer.

I'm not sure if ppl understand. Not even positive I've got it right.

If we lock him in at say....25 milly per now....his salary will count as 25 milly towards our cap when going for free agents next summer.

If we sign him for 25 milly next summer (after signing free agents)....he will only count as 12 against our cap.

If a team offers him a max next summer....we can match it and he will STILL only count as 12 against our cap.

OG negotiations will be about MLSE money. Not about our cap restrictions. MLSE is willing to pay above the cap. The trick is finding ways to be allowed to do so. If we sign him now....we lose the privilege of going above the cap.

It's a no-brainer to wait. It's also in OG's interest to wait...because MLSE can pay him more without worrying about cap ramnifications. So we can pay him more than we would if he counted against the cap.
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#40 » by mdenny » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:27 am

sidsid wrote:
mdenny wrote:WE DON'T NEED TO CARE ABOUT HOW MUCH MONEY OG MAKES. HE HAS A CAP HOLD.

There's still value in getting a player at par or below market value for cap considerations.

In the extreme example, GSW locking up Steph to that crazy long 11 mil contract before he blew up enabled them to get Durant and extend their run.

That's the value now that there isn't a clear goal for the cap space this offseason with Giannis gone. A good contract also brings back better assets in a trade.

No there's not value in getting OG (him specifically) under market value for cap considerations UNLESS you sign him for less than 12 milly per year (which will never happen).

I didn't understand this either until someone explained it to me. The reason there's no reason is because as long as we wait til next year and reach the cap with signings....OG will only count as 12 no matter how much we pay him. So anything over 12 million per year is not money that fans need to care about. It doesn't count towards the cap. If we sign him now....his entire salary counts towards the cap. If we wait....only 12 milly will count towards the cap. We can pay him 30 milly per year next off-season. The cap hit is still 12.

That's why there's no way we extend him until the off-season. If we do....it would signify that MLSE is not willing to pay money to win.

Return to Toronto Raptors