ImageImageImageImageImage

Back on the treadmill

Moderators: Patman, pbj, Alfred, Duffman100, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Rhettmatic, niQ

gha4life
Pro Prospect
Posts: 865
And1: 183
Joined: Apr 18, 2007
Location: toronto

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#121 » by gha4life » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:54 pm

Our team is just very bland , no exciting prospects to root for

Getting kawhi is not an everyday occurrence ,I ve faith in masai but I just want someone exciting to pumped about going into this season

Am actually more excited to see what other rookies do on other teams ,these safe ready reliable picks are just booring and not exciting to me cuz 5heir ceiling is not very high




Sent from my SM-N975W using RealGM mobile app
Kingsway_fan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,959
And1: 3,189
Joined: May 25, 2016
 

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#122 » by Kingsway_fan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:55 pm

Without ibaka, we are 8th seed now...
User avatar
Parataxis
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,060
And1: 1,341
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
Location: Penticton, BC
       

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#123 » by Parataxis » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:05 pm

pingpongrac wrote:
Giannis is still a bit of a pipe dream to me, but there are numerous other star FAs next offseason. It's not just Giannis. Having that cap space available is huge. Adding a star to the core of Siakam/OG/FVV instantly makes us a contender for a few years while everyone is in their prime.


Yup. The way some people are talking, you'd be forgiven for thinking that they're convinced that the cap space can ONLY be used for Giannis, and if we don't get him, then we can't spend it on anybody else.

We're in a great place right now. Next season we have cap space, we have prospects, and we have draft picks, plus a signed and committed core in their prime. We have lots of opportunities to improve next off season, with or without Giannis.
User avatar
dacrusha
RealGM
Posts: 12,186
And1: 4,517
Joined: Dec 11, 2003
Location: Waiting for Jesse Ventura to show up...
       

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#124 » by dacrusha » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:11 pm

The path was always, get a superstar, win a championship, spend two years maintaining and then making another run after the summer of 2021.

Last year was gravy.

What dummies thought this was our make-it-or-bust year?
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
User avatar
PhilBlackson
RealGM
Posts: 19,351
And1: 31,297
Joined: May 02, 2017
Location: No Wastemans Land
     

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#125 » by PhilBlackson » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:12 pm

Sooooo with Giles going to POR are we maxing out Aaron Baynes just to have an actual big on the squad?! lol
#BIGTRUSS >>>>***Jayson Hall of Fatum is a top 10 player*** <<<< __ Lead Supporter of Michael Porter__
Image
User avatar
Tacoma
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,837
And1: 3,248
Joined: Dec 08, 2004

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#126 » by Tacoma » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:13 pm

kalel123 wrote:We were always going to try and sign FVV, which we did.

There was always a chance Ibaka and Gasol would be gone, which one of them (Ibaka) have. Wish we could've kept Ibaka and I believe we could've easily beat that Clippers contract even at only one year if the team really wanted to keep him. So I have to question if there ever was a desire there. Crossing my fingers there's a decent replacement.

The plan is and always has been all about 2021 free agency and that hasn't changed one bit. And if we were ever to be successful, it would've required us renouncing Ibaka by then anyway so losing him now doesn't change a whole lot when you reach that point other than maybe we keep up facade of being a better team than we actually were this year, which I would think would've been transparent to anyone with more than semi-intelligence.

And IMO High Reward of this plan is worth waiting on before any plan B/C.

Not like people like OP got any brilliant plan of their own other than pointless b*tc*ing and starting useless duplicate threads. It's easy to say 'trade Lowry', 'don't resign FVV', and 'Siakam is POS or overpaid' without thinking of consequences of those words actually coming true. All I gotta say is, be careful what you wish for. You can't just trade your historically best player out of the blue unless the other team approaches you with packages you can't say no to. As a team that's competed in the playoffs, you can't just not resign a quality player and lose him for nothing if the said player is agreeable to come back in a reasonable deal. You need to have some compelling reasons to do so otherwise all the good will and reputation will be shot to hell in short order especially if you don't turn that around to success rather quickly. Back to being laughing stock of the league. Currently, we have no compelling reason. Yet.

There will be time appropriate for complete rebuild but it ain't now. There are things that need to happen first, I happen to believe those things are taking place, but they need time to take place.


Not sure what you're trying to argue here. Like it or not, the team today is on the treadmill - not good enough to contend not bad enough for the lottery. You're arguing against a straw man when you say "You can't just trade your historically best player out of the blue unless the other team approaches you with packages you can't say no to" because no one is saying we should accept a bad package for Lowry.

Also no one is arguing against the 2021 free agency being key, Giannis in particular. A FA wanting to sign here would be concerned with the period around 2021-2025+. This puts Lowry out of the equation as he's 35 next year. So since Lowry still has trade value now and has the Championship pedigree to help out a contending team this coming season, you're best to trade him for younger assets (if it's an acceptable return) with potential that may increase your chances of signing a FA (e.g,, Giannis) next summer. And since Lowry is also a FA next summer, you can always sign him back next year for MLE if there's mutual interest.
User avatar
Steelo Green
RealGM
Posts: 12,602
And1: 21,398
Joined: Feb 06, 2013

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#127 » by Steelo Green » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:14 pm

People keep talking of this great place we’re in even if we don’t get Giannis (which we won’t).

Our best player will be 36, we will have an overpaid mediocre all-star, and a much lesser PG than our best player, with a severely lacking wing player on O.

We have no superstar talent, and this we will just sign another star is a pipe dream. We’ve never even gotten a meeting. We end up with say Oladipo... what exactly is a Siakam+Fred+Oladipo team going to do?

This Masai won a title, leave him alone needs to end. You can’t live in the afterglow of a title forever. One year is still a full year at his job which he gets millions of dollars to do and we have no elite prospects, no superstar player, best player is aging, and an extremely unlikely change to sign a star.

In a year when we strike out in FAs, what will you think of this team then- because if you really look at it, we will not land a star and aren’t going to be getting high picks from the draft.

One year of Kawhi which was an outlier for some reason excuses all the years of not being a contender?

The title is over. He’s still the president and his job is to make the best moves. In the business world if you have a great year, you’re not given a pass for the next 1-2 when you get paid the big bucks to be elite.

In a year everyone will see when we don’t get anyone and this current group minus Lowry is our core.
User avatar
refshateRaps
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,288
And1: 6,414
Joined: Feb 08, 2014

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#128 » by refshateRaps » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:22 pm

I'm just thankful we won the title with Kawai.

This organization may not have recovered if we lost the Philly or Bucks series.

Atleast Masai and Nurse we have a good image now becasue of it. But It would be an understatement to say it would've been beyond miserable around here if we did not win.
Image
aminiaturebuddha
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,831
And1: 1,529
Joined: Aug 07, 2006

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#129 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:23 pm

Steelo Green wrote:People keep talking of this great place we’re in even if we don’t get Giannis (which we won’t).

Our best player will be 36, we will have an overpaid mediocre all-star, and a much lesser PG than our best player, with a severely lacking wing player on O.

We have no superstar talent, and this we will just sign another star is a pipe dream. We’ve never even gotten a meeting. We end up with say Oladipo... what exactly is a Siakam+Fred+Oladipo team going to do?

This Masai won a title, leave him alone needs to end. You can’t live in the afterglow of a title forever. One year is still a full year at his job which he gets millions of dollars to do and we have no elite prospects, no superstar player, best player is aging, and an extremely unlikely change to sign a star.

In a year when we strike out in FAs, what will you think of this team then- because if you really look at it, we will not land a star and aren’t going to be getting high picks from the draft.

One year of Kawhi which was an outlier for some reason excuses all the years of not being a contender?

The title is over. He’s still the president and his job is to make the best moves. In the business world if you have a great year, you’re not given a pass for the next 1-2 when you get paid the big bucks to be elite.

In a year everyone will see when we don’t get anyone and this current group minus Lowry is our core.


I really don't understand why you're a fan of the Raptors, or even basketball in general. It seems like such a miserable existence for you. You don't seem to get joy out of anything.
User avatar
VinBaker6
RealGM
Posts: 25,797
And1: 60,126
Joined: Jul 24, 2012
Location: The Horn
 

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#130 » by VinBaker6 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:25 pm

Steelo Green wrote:People keep talking of this great place we’re in even if we don’t get Giannis (which we won’t).

Our best player will be 36, we will have an overpaid mediocre all-star, and a much lesser PG than our best player, with a severely lacking wing player on O.

We have no superstar talent, and this we will just sign another star is a pipe dream. We’ve never even gotten a meeting. We end up with say Oladipo... what exactly is a Siakam+Fred+Oladipo team going to do?

This Masai won a title, leave him alone needs to end. You can’t live in the afterglow of a title forever. One year is still a full year at his job which he gets millions of dollars to do and we have no elite prospects, no superstar player, best player is aging, and an extremely unlikely change to sign a star.

In a year when we strike out in FAs, what will you think of this team then- because if you really look at it, we will not land a star and aren’t going to be getting high picks from the draft.

One year of Kawhi which was an outlier for some reason excuses all the years of not being a contender?

The title is over. He’s still the president and his job is to make the best moves. In the business world if you have a great year, you’re not given a pass for the next 1-2 when you get paid the big bucks to be elite.

In a year everyone will see when we don’t get anyone and this current group minus Lowry is our core.
Well said sir.

]
Image

S/O to TZ!
User avatar
Steelo Green
RealGM
Posts: 12,602
And1: 21,398
Joined: Feb 06, 2013

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#131 » by Steelo Green » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:31 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:People keep talking of this great place we’re in even if we don’t get Giannis (which we won’t).

Our best player will be 36, we will have an overpaid mediocre all-star, and a much lesser PG than our best player, with a severely lacking wing player on O.

We have no superstar talent, and this we will just sign another star is a pipe dream. We’ve never even gotten a meeting. We end up with say Oladipo... what exactly is a Siakam+Fred+Oladipo team going to do?

This Masai won a title, leave him alone needs to end. You can’t live in the afterglow of a title forever. One year is still a full year at his job which he gets millions of dollars to do and we have no elite prospects, no superstar player, best player is aging, and an extremely unlikely change to sign a star.

In a year when we strike out in FAs, what will you think of this team then- because if you really look at it, we will not land a star and aren’t going to be getting high picks from the draft.

One year of Kawhi which was an outlier for some reason excuses all the years of not being a contender?

The title is over. He’s still the president and his job is to make the best moves. In the business world if you have a great year, you’re not given a pass for the next 1-2 when you get paid the big bucks to be elite.

In a year everyone will see when we don’t get anyone and this current group minus Lowry is our core.


I really don't understand why you're a fan of the Raptors, or even basketball in general. It seems like such a miserable existence for you. You don't seem to get joy out of anything.

Yes let’s pontificate others enjoyment and make assumptions because they have a negative view on what the current team is.

Makes sense.

Winning a title and having a superstar - now that was fun. Being a contender for a year - that was fun. Having a young budding superstar - that would be fun.

We are none of those things.
User avatar
Badonkadonk
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,712
And1: 6,630
Joined: Jul 11, 2012

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#132 » by Badonkadonk » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:42 pm

Steelo Green wrote:People keep talking of this great place we’re in even if we don’t get Giannis (which we won’t).

Our best player will be 36, we will have an overpaid mediocre all-star, and a much lesser PG than our best player, with a severely lacking wing player on O.

We have no superstar talent, and this we will just sign another star is a pipe dream. We’ve never even gotten a meeting. We end up with say Oladipo... what exactly is a Siakam+Fred+Oladipo team going to do?

This Masai won a title, leave him alone needs to end. You can’t live in the afterglow of a title forever. One year is still a full year at his job which he gets millions of dollars to do and we have no elite prospects, no superstar player, best player is aging, and an extremely unlikely change to sign a star.

In a year when we strike out in FAs, what will you think of this team then- because if you really look at it, we will not land a star and aren’t going to be getting high picks from the draft.

One year of Kawhi which was an outlier for some reason excuses all the years of not being a contender?

The title is over. He’s still the president and his job is to make the best moves. In the business world if you have a great year, you’re not given a pass for the next 1-2 when you get paid the big bucks to be elite.

In a year everyone will see when we don’t get anyone and this current group minus Lowry is our core.

The reason the Raptors are still in a great place is because it enjoys great leadership and management. This is what allows an organization to pivot effectively depending on changing circumstances.

What I read from this offseason's transactions is that Webster/Masai decided that maintaining flexibility and the key parts of the team's core were priorities. The structuring of FVV's contract (i.e. dip in year 2 dollars) is a clear tell into when their next big swing is going to be, so I wouldn't expect any foundational changes until then.

I get that it's annoying to be on the sidelines while teams make "big changes", but timing is everything IMO. Clearly they've proven they're not afraid of making a big transaction when the timing is right.

I'll start getting nervous when the decision makers change.
Image
User avatar
Steelo Green
RealGM
Posts: 12,602
And1: 21,398
Joined: Feb 06, 2013

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#133 » by Steelo Green » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:53 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:People keep talking of this great place we’re in even if we don’t get Giannis (which we won’t).

Our best player will be 36, we will have an overpaid mediocre all-star, and a much lesser PG than our best player, with a severely lacking wing player on O.

We have no superstar talent, and this we will just sign another star is a pipe dream. We’ve never even gotten a meeting. We end up with say Oladipo... what exactly is a Siakam+Fred+Oladipo team going to do?

This Masai won a title, leave him alone needs to end. You can’t live in the afterglow of a title forever. One year is still a full year at his job which he gets millions of dollars to do and we have no elite prospects, no superstar player, best player is aging, and an extremely unlikely change to sign a star.

In a year when we strike out in FAs, what will you think of this team then- because if you really look at it, we will not land a star and aren’t going to be getting high picks from the draft.

One year of Kawhi which was an outlier for some reason excuses all the years of not being a contender?

The title is over. He’s still the president and his job is to make the best moves. In the business world if you have a great year, you’re not given a pass for the next 1-2 when you get paid the big bucks to be elite.

In a year everyone will see when we don’t get anyone and this current group minus Lowry is our core.

The reason the Raptors are still in a great place is because it enjoys great leadership and management. This is what allows an organization to pivot effectively depending on changing circumstances.

What I read from this offseason's transactions is that Webster/Masai decided that maintaining flexibility and the key parts of the team's core were priorities. The structuring of FVV's contract (i.e. dip in year 2 dollars) is a clear tell into when their next big swing is going to be, so I wouldn't expect any foundational changes until then.

I get that it's annoying to be on the sidelines while teams make "big changes", but timing is everything IMO. Clearly they've proven they're not afraid of making a big transaction when the timing is right.

I'll start getting nervous when the decision makers change.

I’m not even talking about right now. I’m saying the direction of this team is pretty flawed.

When we miss on a star next year, we overpay OG and guess what, we’re over the cap. Now we have OG, Fred, Pascal for 5 years. What is that team?

The management has yet to draft a superstar level talent and though kudos to them acquiring one in the strangest of situations ever, he’s now gone and we look the same as pre Kawhi days.

I’m looking one year from now. I didn’t expect to do anything major this off-season but personally I think of a team like the Red Sox in baseball. They won, decided to blow it up and go young and contenders again.

We have all the makings of a perennial second round exit with no once in a generation trade in Kawhi to save us and the fact Kyle still our best player is almost at his ends.
User avatar
Ramed Nazored
Analyst
Posts: 3,141
And1: 6,440
Joined: Dec 13, 2016
Location: Dufferin and St. Clair
 

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#134 » by Ramed Nazored » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:01 pm

Steelo Green wrote:People keep talking of this great place we’re in even if we don’t get Giannis (which we won’t).

Our best player will be 36, we will have an overpaid mediocre all-star, and a much lesser PG than our best player, with a severely lacking wing player on O.

We have no superstar talent, and this we will just sign another star is a pipe dream. We’ve never even gotten a meeting. We end up with say Oladipo... what exactly is a Siakam+Fred+Oladipo team going to do?

This Masai won a title, leave him alone needs to end. You can’t live in the afterglow of a title forever. One year is still a full year at his job which he gets millions of dollars to do and we have no elite prospects, no superstar player, best player is aging, and an extremely unlikely change to sign a star.

In a year when we strike out in FAs, what will you think of this team then- because if you really look at it, we will not land a star and aren’t going to be getting high picks from the draft.

One year of Kawhi which was an outlier for some reason excuses all the years of not being a contender?

The title is over. He’s still the president and his job is to make the best moves. In the business world if you have a great year, you’re not given a pass for the next 1-2 when you get paid the big bucks to be elite.

In a year everyone will see when we don’t get anyone and this current group minus Lowry is our core.


Oh look, it's the contrarian doomsayer here to fight the pervasive "group think" of the Raptors Real GM board. Revolutionary stuff.
"Jeremy Grant > Siakam" - ImaBeatDatAzz, 2020.


Image
User avatar
Badonkadonk
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,712
And1: 6,630
Joined: Jul 11, 2012

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#135 » by Badonkadonk » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:06 pm

Steelo Green wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:People keep talking of this great place we’re in even if we don’t get Giannis (which we won’t).

Our best player will be 36, we will have an overpaid mediocre all-star, and a much lesser PG than our best player, with a severely lacking wing player on O.

We have no superstar talent, and this we will just sign another star is a pipe dream. We’ve never even gotten a meeting. We end up with say Oladipo... what exactly is a Siakam+Fred+Oladipo team going to do?

This Masai won a title, leave him alone needs to end. You can’t live in the afterglow of a title forever. One year is still a full year at his job which he gets millions of dollars to do and we have no elite prospects, no superstar player, best player is aging, and an extremely unlikely change to sign a star.

In a year when we strike out in FAs, what will you think of this team then- because if you really look at it, we will not land a star and aren’t going to be getting high picks from the draft.

One year of Kawhi which was an outlier for some reason excuses all the years of not being a contender?

The title is over. He’s still the president and his job is to make the best moves. In the business world if you have a great year, you’re not given a pass for the next 1-2 when you get paid the big bucks to be elite.

In a year everyone will see when we don’t get anyone and this current group minus Lowry is our core.

The reason the Raptors are still in a great place is because it enjoys great leadership and management. This is what allows an organization to pivot effectively depending on changing circumstances.

What I read from this offseason's transactions is that Webster/Masai decided that maintaining flexibility and the key parts of the team's core were priorities. The structuring of FVV's contract (i.e. dip in year 2 dollars) is a clear tell into when their next big swing is going to be, so I wouldn't expect any foundational changes until then.

I get that it's annoying to be on the sidelines while teams make "big changes", but timing is everything IMO. Clearly they've proven they're not afraid of making a big transaction when the timing is right.

I'll start getting nervous when the decision makers change.

I’m not even talking about right now. I’m saying the direction of this team is pretty flawed.

When we miss on a star next year, we overpay OG and guess what, we’re over the cap. Now we have OG, Fred, Pascal for 5 years. What is that team?

The management has yet to draft a superstar level talent and though kudos to them acquiring one in the strangest of situations ever, he’s now gone and we look the same as pre Kawhi days.

I’m looking one year from now. I didn’t expect to do anything major this off-season but personally I think of a team like the Red Sox in baseball. They won, decided to blow it up and go young and contenders again.

We have all the makings of a perennial second round exit with no once in a generation trade in Kawhi to save us and the fact Kyle still our best player is almost at his ends.

I'm saying the direction of the team is contingent on how next offseason plays out. This leadership group was willing and on the verge of trading Lowry away when it thought it faced a dead-end. Clearly, they think there's a scenario worth exploring next offseason that would allow the team to add a potential star to a strong core, otherwise they would be dumping.

There's just little incentive to commit tenure and $$ to the options that were available now. I don't think missing out on Ibaka or Gasol moves the needle that much, and anything with a 2+ year term potentially complicates max slot availability in 2021. And while I agree the chances of Giannis coming are low (always have been IMO), it's just prudent to leave options open for what is going to be a strong and more fluid FA class, and then either go really young or augment with veterans after that.

I guess I'm in the minority by not being overly concerned with what happens during this offseason. I'm most excited to see how guys like Paul Watson Jr. (I'm really high on him) and how the two new rookies integrate into the system, and whether Boucher can extend his promising Orlando run.
Image
User avatar
Steelo Green
RealGM
Posts: 12,602
And1: 21,398
Joined: Feb 06, 2013

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#136 » by Steelo Green » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:16 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:The reason the Raptors are still in a great place is because it enjoys great leadership and management. This is what allows an organization to pivot effectively depending on changing circumstances.

What I read from this offseason's transactions is that Webster/Masai decided that maintaining flexibility and the key parts of the team's core were priorities. The structuring of FVV's contract (i.e. dip in year 2 dollars) is a clear tell into when their next big swing is going to be, so I wouldn't expect any foundational changes until then.

I get that it's annoying to be on the sidelines while teams make "big changes", but timing is everything IMO. Clearly they've proven they're not afraid of making a big transaction when the timing is right.

I'll start getting nervous when the decision makers change.

I’m not even talking about right now. I’m saying the direction of this team is pretty flawed.

When we miss on a star next year, we overpay OG and guess what, we’re over the cap. Now we have OG, Fred, Pascal for 5 years. What is that team?

The management has yet to draft a superstar level talent and though kudos to them acquiring one in the strangest of situations ever, he’s now gone and we look the same as pre Kawhi days.

I’m looking one year from now. I didn’t expect to do anything major this off-season but personally I think of a team like the Red Sox in baseball. They won, decided to blow it up and go young and contenders again.

We have all the makings of a perennial second round exit with no once in a generation trade in Kawhi to save us and the fact Kyle still our best player is almost at his ends.

I'm saying the direction of the team is contingent on how next offseason plays out. This leadership group was willing and on the verge of trading Lowry away when it thought it faced a dead-end. Clearly, they think there's a scenario worth exploring next offseason that would allow the team to add a potential star to a strong core, otherwise they would be dumping.

There's just little incentive to commit tenure and $$ to the options that were available now. I don't think missing out on Ibaka or Gasol moves the needle that much, and anything with a 2+ year term potentially complicates max slot availability in 2021. And while I agree the chances of Giannis coming are low (always have been IMO), it's just prudent to leave options open for what is going to be a strong and more fluid FA class, and then either go really young or augment with veterans after that.

I guess I'm in the minority by not being overly concerned with what happens during this offseason. I'm most excited to see how guys like Paul Watson Jr. (I'm really high on him) and how the two new rookies integrate into the system, and whether Boucher can extend his promising Orlando run.

Oh I think you misunderstood. I didn’t wanna Ibaka back at all. Don’t see the love affair with him. He’s a solid bench big who can’t play D.

This management group is also the same group that right before Kawhi was the laughing stock.

It’s neither here nor there. The entire picture needs to be looked at. Getting Kawhi done - major props. But now that we’ve seen what it takes to win - are you really excited for what we have moving forward?

Ask yourself - is there another trade for a Kawhi, a top 5 player who sat due to a mysterious injury who was a head case with management on the horizon? I’ve said it many times before - only 2 finals MVPs have been traded in their primes, 3 if you add Shaq. It is a rarity of all rarities.

Paul Watson is just a guy though. You guys are hoping too much for probably role players at best.

If we don’t get a star, the chances of another trade like Kawhi happening are slim to none and then we are just left with that group like we were if Demar had stayed. It’s not a reality I’m happy with but it’s looking likely.

Superstars win you games - where are we getting one? We’ve never even gotten a meeting lol
aminiaturebuddha
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,831
And1: 1,529
Joined: Aug 07, 2006

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#137 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:23 pm

Steelo Green wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:People keep talking of this great place we’re in even if we don’t get Giannis (which we won’t).

Our best player will be 36, we will have an overpaid mediocre all-star, and a much lesser PG than our best player, with a severely lacking wing player on O.

We have no superstar talent, and this we will just sign another star is a pipe dream. We’ve never even gotten a meeting. We end up with say Oladipo... what exactly is a Siakam+Fred+Oladipo team going to do?

This Masai won a title, leave him alone needs to end. You can’t live in the afterglow of a title forever. One year is still a full year at his job which he gets millions of dollars to do and we have no elite prospects, no superstar player, best player is aging, and an extremely unlikely change to sign a star.

In a year when we strike out in FAs, what will you think of this team then- because if you really look at it, we will not land a star and aren’t going to be getting high picks from the draft.

One year of Kawhi which was an outlier for some reason excuses all the years of not being a contender?

The title is over. He’s still the president and his job is to make the best moves. In the business world if you have a great year, you’re not given a pass for the next 1-2 when you get paid the big bucks to be elite.

In a year everyone will see when we don’t get anyone and this current group minus Lowry is our core.


I really don't understand why you're a fan of the Raptors, or even basketball in general. It seems like such a miserable existence for you. You don't seem to get joy out of anything.

Yes let’s pontificate others enjoyment and make assumptions because they have a negative view on what the current team is.

Makes sense.

Winning a title and having a superstar - now that was fun. Being a contender for a year - that was fun. Having a young budding superstar - that would be fun.

We are none of those things.


Yeah, that's fair. I shouldn't make assumptions. I just get tired of the constant negativity. And all I know is that whenever I'm reading a thread and see a post by "Steelo" I just know that it's going to be nothing but negativity before even reading it. So it's actually an honest question if you get enjoyment out of all the time and effort you apparently spend following basketball.

Have you ever begun a post with some variation on "This was great..." or "I really enjoyed it when..." or "This was really fun..."?

You claim that it was fun being a contender and winning a title, but even during the past two years (by far the best years in franchise history), the vast majority of your posts have been negative. I would wager its about 9 in 10. So maybe your posting just doesn't reflect your true enjoyment of the game.
User avatar
Steelo Green
RealGM
Posts: 12,602
And1: 21,398
Joined: Feb 06, 2013

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#138 » by Steelo Green » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:32 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:
I really don't understand why you're a fan of the Raptors, or even basketball in general. It seems like such a miserable existence for you. You don't seem to get joy out of anything.

Yes let’s pontificate others enjoyment and make assumptions because they have a negative view on what the current team is.

Makes sense.

Winning a title and having a superstar - now that was fun. Being a contender for a year - that was fun. Having a young budding superstar - that would be fun.

We are none of those things.


Yeah, that's fair. I shouldn't make assumptions. I just get tired of the constant negativity. And all I know is that whenever I'm reading a thread and see a post by "Steelo" I just know that it's going to be nothing but negativity before even reading it. So it's actually an honest question if you get enjoyment out of all the time and effort you apparently spend following basketball.

Have you ever begun a post with some variation on "This was great..." or "I really enjoyed it when..." or "This was really fun..."?

You claim that it was fun being a contender and winning a title, but even during the past two years (by far the best years in franchise history), the vast majority of your posts have been negative. I would wager its about 9 in 10. So maybe your posting just doesn't reflect your true enjoyment of the game.

Uhh maybe you should go through my posts when we won the title and had Kawhi.

I was team positive until that debacle against Cleveland and realized a non superstar team is not doing anything, and Kawhi gone and that is what we are again. I get excited to see superstars and contenders - we are neither.
omar36
Analyst
Posts: 3,318
And1: 4,485
Joined: Aug 30, 2014
   

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#139 » by omar36 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:44 pm

I just dont get why ppl think giannis will come here. Bucks imporved and can offer more money. if he signs before te season starts? what we doing with that max cap space lmao

not to mention, we arent his only suitors, not only bucks who are likely reaching ecf this season now they have an actual pg. teams like heat have a great shot bc tho they cant offer as much, the no income tax will offset it a bit and heat have a budding star in bam to pair with ginnais (tho that fit is wack). then u have the mavs who have a legit superstar and max capsace and again no income tax (tho i doubt giannis wants to play second fiddle).


the fact is this team is banking on a mvp talent to abandon his very good team and jump ship. thers a chance sure but it aint high. once that fails then what? years of 2nd round exits?

we are absoltely a treadmill team if giannis doesnt come
Image
User avatar
TheBoi10
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,579
And1: 6,807
Joined: Apr 13, 2018
 

Re: Back on the treadmill 

Post#140 » by TheBoi10 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:56 pm

Clutch0z24 wrote:
TheBoi10 wrote:Siakam and whatever it takes for Harden

Then get an athletic center preferably who can catch lobs


Lets say We grabbed Harden for Powell + Siakam + Picks idk...Then we grab the likes of Giles/Whiteside/Biyombo in free agency..

Still would we really be that much better with

Lowry
Harden
OG
Giles
Whiteside

Fvv 6th Man
Davis II
McCaw?
Boucher
Biyombo

Team still is shaky af...Losing Ibaka really messed us up cause if you get a guy like Harden you want to have Lowry + Ibaka there to make the team really reliable...With Harden and shaky Bigs since no one is left in free agency it would be hard to imagine Harden would make us really that much better with Powell + Siakam + Ibaka Gone


Lowry
FVV
Harden
OG
Center (Maybe still Gasol)

Davis
Thomas
Whiteside/Giles/?

That's a better top 7 than last year. Elite defense will still be there (we had that with DeRozan and JV starting) and now we would have the best scorer in the NBA to bolster a mediocre offense from last year. It gives us a better chance this year and next year we have a better selling point to Giannis in the ability to play with another top 5 guy; the best duo in the NBA (Better than LBJ and AD)

Return to Toronto Raptors