ImageImageImageImageImage

Explain "treadmill team".

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Re: Explain "treadmill team". 

Post#41 » by Danny1616 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:19 am

A treadmill team is one that is in the 7-10 seeds every year. They are not good enough to make a playoff push but not bad enough to get a top 5 pick.

We are definitely not a treadmill team.

The Wizards are a treadmill team.

The Spurs right now are a treadmill team.

The Sacramento Kings are a treadmill team.

The Detroit Pistons are a treadmill team.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#42 » by Danny1616 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:21 am

NeoDragonKnight wrote:Treadmill team has ALWAYS meant a team that is maxed on cap battling for 8th seed or just missing year after year, with no room for improvement because the draft picks are middling, and assets worthless, maybe just enough to make the playoffs but not quite good enough to make a deep playoffs run and the only option would be to tear it all down to tank.. Perfect example is the Bosh era Raptors where they could not improve past that really good 06-07 year, in fact got worse due to short sighted moves at middling or no draft picks and assets and aging veterans who could not be replaced.

Somewhere along the line people kept using the term out of the correct context to further their own goals in disparaging a team to the point where it simply means any team that doesn't get a championship, it is stupidly annoying. For instance this eras raptors IS NOT a treadmill team despite what idiots say, the team made deep playoff runs including that ECF run AND a championship, moves could be made due to flexibility and young assets (DeRozan, JV, Ross). Same could not be said for the Bosh era as no one had trade value because BC traded for and signed JO (who was a horrible fit and on his last legs) and Hedo and gave Bargs a big contract, and waited too long to trade TJ or Calderon because Horford ruined TJs career, there was no value left.

This
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,059

Post#43 » by xAIRNESSx » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:38 am

Basically any team that doesn't win the championship.
Marty_Budda
Sixth Man
And1: 2,801

Post#44 » by Marty_Budda » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:46 am

Lmao by some peoples logic the 90s bulls were a treadmill team cause you know...they stood in place, winning championships every year.

When you look up the definition of treadmill there is a logo of the pistons. That’s a treadmill.
kj_
Analyst
And1: 3,298

Post#45 » by kj_ » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:02 am

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
kj_ wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
if you cannot win a championship, subjectively/objectively no chance to go win in ECF/WCF, but still finish top 2-3 seed in your conference, it just means you're in a weak conference.

If you’re in the conference finals you have a shot to make it to the finals. If you make it to the finals, you have a shot to win the championship. You are not a treadmill team, imo. You are entitled to yours. There is no factual definition for this. It’s just a bunch of people that have an opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean we don't have to look far back and as close to home as the Toronto Raptors during the Derozan era. Raptors were in the same conference as prime LBJ. raptors had 0 chance to beat LBJ and looking back at it - Raptors were a treadmill team.

they were pretty much doing the same over and over and hoping they would beat Lebron James. pretty much what I just explained. playoff contender. not a real championship contender.

Raps 2019 in many eyes aren’t beating the Warriors. Treadmill team? No.

They played, injuries happened. Raps champs!

Again, you have your opinion. I have mine. Treadmill term is for those 7-10 seeds. Losing record or just near .500 with maxed out talent and cap. Too good too get a high pick, too bad to get out of the first round.

Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#46 » by Alfred » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:50 am

Treadmill team = non contending teams that aren't in the high lottery.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#47 » by will » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:03 am

That entire BC era with Bosh and Bargs was treadmilling.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,270

Post#48 » by Brinbe » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:04 am

see the bryan colangelo raptors
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,688

Post#49 » by Clay Davis » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:07 am

Treadmill me away
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#50 » by BramptonYute » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:09 am

This current team we have right now...
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#51 » by AirCanadaMouse » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:09 am

Okay, so this thread is already done after I read the first sentence. Raptors were not a treadmill team before Kawhi arrived, they were contenders out of the east.

There’s not even a point going into this further because that’s where OP is mistaken.

Treadmill means not good enough to contend, not bad enough to bottom out for the lottery. You are a 7/8 seed year In out, the magic have been on the treadmill for the past few years for example. before it used to be pistons, the hornets , etc.

Thank you Clutch0z24

Return to Toronto Raptors