ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, Alfred, lebron stopper, niQ, gojoorange, DG88, Morris_Shatford

User avatar
Jstock12
General Manager
Posts: 9,858
And1: 16,516
Joined: Jun 24, 2012

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1241 » by Jstock12 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:52 pm

sca wrote:What you're implying is so stupid because...

* Between 2015 and 2017, the Hawks and the Raptors have won 50.3 and 52 games per season, respectively.
* They had both failed to meet expectations in the play-offs.
* The Hawks have decided to blow it up in 2018, while the Raptors went all in in 2019 and won a title as a result.
* It's obvious and completely natural that they're a few steps ahead in rebuilding process as their future star player was a rookie back when we won a ****ing title.
* Nobody's talking about 1973.
* You guys want to have your cake and eat it, too.


I think what you're saying is so stupid, because I don't remember saying that tanking is better than winning the title. You also failed to grasp the hyperbole that was the Knicks example. All my post implied is that I agree with the fact that fans should stop living in past glory and move on. Raps aren't champs anymore.
User avatar
sca
Head Coach
Posts: 6,829
And1: 8,029
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Turkey
 

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1242 » by sca » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:53 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
sca wrote:What you're implying is so stupid because...

* Between 2015 and 2017, the Hawks and the Raptors have won 50.3 and 52 games per season, respectively.
* They had both failed to meet expectations in the play-offs.
* The Hawks have decided to blow it up in 2018, while the Raptors went all in in 2019 and won a title as a result.
* It's obvious and completely natural that they're a few steps ahead in rebuilding process as their future star player was a rookie back when we won a ****ing title.
* Nobody's talking about 1973.
* You guys want to have your cake and eat it, too.


I think what you're saying is so stupid, because I don't remember saying that tanking is better than winning the title. You also failed to grasp the hyperbole that was the Knicks example. All my post implied is that I agree with the fact that fans should stop living in past glory and move on. Raps aren't champs anymore.

We're still feeling the effect of going all in on Kawhi Leonard before winning the title. So your 1973 Championship example makes absolutely zero sense, sorry.
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
User avatar
Jstock12
General Manager
Posts: 9,858
And1: 16,516
Joined: Jun 24, 2012

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1243 » by Jstock12 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 2:56 pm

sca wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:
sca wrote:What you're implying is so stupid because...

* Between 2015 and 2017, the Hawks and the Raptors have won 50.3 and 52 games per season, respectively.
* They had both failed to meet expectations in the play-offs.
* The Hawks have decided to blow it up in 2018, while the Raptors went all in in 2019 and won a title as a result.
* It's obvious and completely natural that they're a few steps ahead in rebuilding process as their future star player was a rookie back when we won a ****ing title.
* Nobody's talking about 1973.
* You guys want to have your cake and eat it, too.


I think what you're saying is so stupid, because I don't remember saying that tanking is better than winning the title. You also failed to grasp the hyperbole that was the Knicks example. All my post implied is that I agree with the fact that fans should stop living in past glory and move on. Raps aren't champs anymore.

We're still feeling the effect of going all in on Kawhi Leonard before winning the title. So your 1973 Championship example makes absolutely zero sense, sorry.


You're free to continue being content with losing. Not all of us feel the same.
User avatar
fbalmeida
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,322
And1: 5,886
Joined: Jul 03, 2019
Location: Braga, Portugal
         

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1244 » by fbalmeida » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:10 am

We now live in a world where Lebron James isn't good enough to singlehandedly carry a team to the 2nd round.
Image
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
Kingsway_fan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,574
And1: 4,440
Joined: May 25, 2016
 

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1245 » by Kingsway_fan » Fri Jun 4, 2021 10:54 am

fbalmeida wrote:We now live in a world where Lebron James isn't good enough to singlehandedly carry a team to the 2nd round.


Nope.. not against stacked west...
Danny1616
General Manager
Posts: 8,407
And1: 10,992
Joined: May 26, 2007

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1246 » by Danny1616 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 1:38 pm

fbalmeida wrote:We now live in a world where Lebron James isn't good enough to singlehandedly carry a team to the 2nd round.


If the Lebron played in the West between 2010-2020 that would have happened a few more times.

Two years ago he failed to carry a team to the playoffs.
Danny1616
General Manager
Posts: 8,407
And1: 10,992
Joined: May 26, 2007

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1247 » by Danny1616 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 1:39 pm

Steelo Green wrote:The Hawks are now miles ahead of the Raptors.

They are a team that has the pieces to make a move for a superstar. Have star players, role players, depth, draft picks, they could go after say a Giannis or Kawhi if ever available via trade and not be left with a just as good team if they did the deal.

This is what has been discussed. Raptors aren’t even in the realm of what they are. Hunter, and Reddish still haven’t even gotten a full chance yet.


Didn't you say that Boston, Orlando and Miami were also miles ahead before the season started? I also can't remember if it was you or someone else raving about the Cavaliers young core early in the season when they got to a decent start.
Dalek
Head Coach
Posts: 7,025
And1: 5,095
Joined: Jan 24, 2005
Location: back to the basket
 

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1248 » by Dalek » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:20 pm

So how likely is Andre Drummond going to get paid after that playoff performance? I would think he is in the Alex Len contract category after his Laker's run.

I'd take Daniel Gafford over him if I had a choice. Gillespie is more impactful.
Dalek
Head Coach
Posts: 7,025
And1: 5,095
Joined: Jan 24, 2005
Location: back to the basket
 

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1249 » by Dalek » Fri Jun 4, 2021 4:30 pm

Steelo Green wrote:The Hawks are now miles ahead of the Raptors.

They are a team that has the pieces to make a move for a superstar. Have star players, role players, depth, draft picks, they could go after say a Giannis or Kawhi if ever available via trade and not be left with a just as good team if they did the deal.

This is what has been discussed. Raptors aren’t even in the realm of what they are. Hunter, and Reddish still haven’t even gotten a full chance yet.


I felt that they loaded up with the right pieces at the start of the year and that with all that shooting and Capela anchoring their team they could be a very good team. Young seems like a viable star in the playoffs, but beating the Knicks is not an accomplishment. The Knicks were severe overachievers with no real playoff success together. If they Hawk beat the 6ers with or without Embiid, that is something.

Toronto has dropped off after they traded away Norm and possibly losing Lowry. That is a lot of offense and veteran stability being lost. I just hope we get on with a proper rebuild. If we get a top pick that is a true centrepiece, build around them, adjust the timeline by trading FVV and/or Siakam and acquiring picks.

You see how Phoenix and Atlanta used the draft to get guys who can grow together like Ayton, Booker, Bridges or Young and Hunter.

I'd love to get a couple Monteverde guys like Cade and Moody or Cade and Barnes. Get guys that will be the next Demar and Lowry, only better. This is the draft to do it. Golden State is ripe to trade its pick if it is not top four.
polo007
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,517
And1: 1,581
Joined: Nov 02, 2006

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1250 » by polo007 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 4:03 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
User avatar
PhilBlackson
RealGM
Posts: 20,701
And1: 33,250
Joined: May 02, 2017
Location: No Wastemans Land
     

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1251 » by PhilBlackson » Sat Jun 5, 2021 4:07 am

I thought DeRozan was exposed in the Playoffs....and then I seen Porzingis.

Good lord he's just been pathetic.
*** >>>>PRAYN4JALEN...GREEN<<<< __Beware the Ant Man__
Image
Rust_Cohle
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,705
And1: 1,892
Joined: Mar 03, 2014
   

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1252 » by Rust_Cohle » Sat Jun 5, 2021 7:15 am

Kawhi Leonard is beyond incredible, just wtf

Will be another 20 years before either the Spurs or Raptors get a player again that is that good
User avatar
NUCKER101
Head Coach
Posts: 6,561
And1: 11,916
Joined: Oct 31, 2013
   

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1253 » by NUCKER101 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 8:08 am

Playoff Kawhi


I do the enjoy the irony of hearing about Kawhi would have to carry less of the load as a Clipper, meanwhile he's going all out just to carry the Clippers in a 3-3 series in round 1 lol.

His inner circle 100% underestimated his supporting cast in Toronto, yeah he did have to carry the scoring load, but Lowry was the team leader and floor general. Gasol was the main leader on defense. Pascal could probably be just as effective, if not more effective than what PG13 has been in the playoffs as the #2 option beside Kawhi. Kawhi just had to focus on scoring and being solid defensively, I feel like he has way more on his plate overall as a Clipper between scoring/playmaking/leadership/defense.
We the Champs
Kingsway_fan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,574
And1: 4,440
Joined: May 25, 2016
 

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1254 » by Kingsway_fan » Sat Jun 5, 2021 10:38 am

Porzingis has to be the worst contract in the NBA
Rust_Cohle
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,705
And1: 1,892
Joined: Mar 03, 2014
   

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1255 » by Rust_Cohle » Sat Jun 5, 2021 2:37 pm

NUCKER101 wrote:Playoff Kawhi


I do the enjoy the irony of hearing about Kawhi would have to carry less of the load as a Clipper, meanwhile he's going all out just to carry the Clippers in a 3-3 series in round 1 lol.

His inner circle 100% underestimated his supporting cast in Toronto, yeah he did have to carry the scoring load, but Lowry was the team leader and floor general. Gasol was the main leader on defense. Pascal could probably be just as effective, if not more effective than what PG13 has been in the playoffs as the #2 option beside Kawhi. Kawhi just had to focus on scoring and being solid defensively, I feel like he has way more on his plate overall as a Clipper between scoring/playmaking/leadership/defense.


Not really, that supporting cast in Toronto had an extremely tiny window and went to the lottery less than two years after a title. And the Raptors never faced a player as good as Doncic in the early rounds. Kawhi has to carry the clippers a lot but he was carrying the Raptors like crazy, just as much as until the ECF when the rest of the team finally started waking up.

And if we are being honest, everyone and their mother would take Paul George over Siakim as a #2 option.
User avatar
NUCKER101
Head Coach
Posts: 6,561
And1: 11,916
Joined: Oct 31, 2013
   

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1256 » by NUCKER101 » Sat Jun 5, 2021 6:01 pm

Rust_Cohle wrote:
NUCKER101 wrote:Playoff Kawhi


I do the enjoy the irony of hearing about Kawhi would have to carry less of the load as a Clipper, meanwhile he's going all out just to carry the Clippers in a 3-3 series in round 1 lol.

His inner circle 100% underestimated his supporting cast in Toronto, yeah he did have to carry the scoring load, but Lowry was the team leader and floor general. Gasol was the main leader on defense. Pascal could probably be just as effective, if not more effective than what PG13 has been in the playoffs as the #2 option beside Kawhi. Kawhi just had to focus on scoring and being solid defensively, I feel like he has way more on his plate overall as a Clipper between scoring/playmaking/leadership/defense.


Not really, that supporting cast in Toronto had an extremely tiny window and went to the lottery less than two years after a title. And the Raptors never faced a player as good as Doncic in the early rounds. Kawhi has to carry the clippers a lot but he was carrying the Raptors like crazy, just as much as until the ECF when the rest of the team finally started waking up.

And if we are being honest, everyone and their mother would take Paul George over Siakim as a #2 option.


I agree that the window wasn’t that big, mostly due to the 5 spot and Lowry’s age being the issue, but running it back one more year would’ve been the best basketball move.

As I said, Kawhi had to carry the scoring load in Toronto, that’s impossible to deny. But I feel like he has more on his plate overall as a Clipper. He has to be more of a team leader and playmaker, doesn’t have as good of a defensive supporting cast either.
We the Champs
Rust_Cohle
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,705
And1: 1,892
Joined: Mar 03, 2014
   

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1257 » by Rust_Cohle » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:03 am

NUCKER101 wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
NUCKER101 wrote:Playoff Kawhi


I do the enjoy the irony of hearing about Kawhi would have to carry less of the load as a Clipper, meanwhile he's going all out just to carry the Clippers in a 3-3 series in round 1 lol.

His inner circle 100% underestimated his supporting cast in Toronto, yeah he did have to carry the scoring load, but Lowry was the team leader and floor general. Gasol was the main leader on defense. Pascal could probably be just as effective, if not more effective than what PG13 has been in the playoffs as the #2 option beside Kawhi. Kawhi just had to focus on scoring and being solid defensively, I feel like he has way more on his plate overall as a Clipper between scoring/playmaking/leadership/defense.


Not really, that supporting cast in Toronto had an extremely tiny window and went to the lottery less than two years after a title. And the Raptors never faced a player as good as Doncic in the early rounds. Kawhi has to carry the clippers a lot but he was carrying the Raptors like crazy, just as much as until the ECF when the rest of the team finally started waking up.

And if we are being honest, everyone and their mother would take Paul George over Siakim as a #2 option.


I agree that the window wasn’t that big, mostly due to the 5 spot and Lowry’s age being the issue, but running it back one more year would’ve been the best basketball move.

As I said, Kawhi had to carry the scoring load in Toronto, that’s impossible to deny. But I feel like he has more on his plate overall as a Clipper. He has to be more of a team leader and playmaker, doesn’t have as good of a defensive supporting cast either.


Fair enough, I do feel outside of Kawhi and pg it’s been very random who (if anyone) steps up as the third option on the clips. Maybe Reggie Jackson.

I do think Kawhi had to do just as much carrying in the first two rounds with the Raps. But the rest of the team stepped up nicely in the ECF onward.
User avatar
WaltFrazier
Head Coach
Posts: 6,672
And1: 5,355
Joined: Jan 21, 2006
Location: Ontario
       

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1258 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:49 pm

Rust_Cohle wrote:
NUCKER101 wrote:Playoff Kawhi


I do the enjoy the irony of hearing about Kawhi would have to carry less of the load as a Clipper, meanwhile he's going all out just to carry the Clippers in a 3-3 series in round 1 lol.

His inner circle 100% underestimated his supporting cast in Toronto, yeah he did have to carry the scoring load, but Lowry was the team leader and floor general. Gasol was the main leader on defense. Pascal could probably be just as effective, if not more effective than what PG13 has been in the playoffs as the #2 option beside Kawhi. Kawhi just had to focus on scoring and being solid defensively, I feel like he has way more on his plate overall as a Clipper between scoring/playmaking/leadership/defense.


Not really, that supporting cast in Toronto had an extremely tiny window and went to the lottery less than two years after a title. And the Raptors never faced a player as good as Doncic in the early rounds. Kawhi has to carry the clippers a lot but he was carrying the Raptors like crazy, just as much as until the ECF when the rest of the team finally started waking up.

And if we are being honest, everyone and their mother would take Paul George over Siakim as a #2 option.

Agree that PG is better than Pascal, but this year's team going to the lottery is an aberration. In a normal non covid year were were a high seed playoff team, and just a year ago in 2020 we were a very good team, pre-covid. If Kawhi had stayed we had a great chance to repeat and still be good again this year.
Dalek
Head Coach
Posts: 7,025
And1: 5,095
Joined: Jan 24, 2005
Location: back to the basket
 

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1259 » by Dalek » Mon Jun 7, 2021 4:51 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:We now live in a world where Lebron James isn't good enough to singlehandedly carry a team to the 2nd round.


If the Lebron played in the West between 2010-2020 that would have happened a few more times.

Two years ago he failed to carry a team to the playoffs.


We are almost at having a final without Lebron, Curry, or Kawhi. The last time that happened was in 2010 when Rondo was with the big three in Boston and Kobe was with Pau in LA.
User avatar
OakleyDokely
RealGM
Posts: 19,166
And1: 40,374
Joined: Aug 02, 2008
Location: 416
 

Re: Official NBA General Discussion 2020-21 V1.0 

Post#1260 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:03 pm

[Twitter]
Read on Twitter
?s=19[/twitter]

Boston and bad breakups with PGs, name a worse combo.

Return to Toronto Raptors